Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

View Poll Results: Which C2 segment sedan would you choose?
Maruti Ciaz Facelift 56 14.04%
Honda City 101 25.31%
Hyundai Verna 126 31.58%
Toyota Yaris 27 6.77%
Skoda Rapid 39 9.77%
Volkswagen Vento 33 8.27%
Fiat Linea 17 4.26%
Other (please specify in your post) 0 0%
Voters: 399. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2018, 21:10   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: The next best Replacement to Cruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtandon View Post
My daily drive consists of 60 kms run from Gurgaon - Delhi and vice-versa, so the AT might help in that too.
AT has become a necessity if you drive through heavy traffic. I'm guessing you want a performance oriented car too?

Quote:

Have considered the following Petrol Automatics so far :-

1. Honda City AT
The best choice for your requirement.
Quote:
2. Maruti Suzuki Ciaz AT
Dull performance and gearbox, but a good package overall.
Quote:
3. Hyundai Verna AT
Compared to the City, Verna will give you lesser FE. Second best car overall on the list.
Quote:
4. Toyota Yaris AT
Too expensive and doesn't provide too much value. If you don't mind the price, I'd recommend this.
Quote:
5. Volksvagen Vento AT
6. Skoda Rapid AT
Forget these two- they are too old.
Quote:
7. Ford Ecosport AT
8. Ford Aspire AT (as suggested by a friend)
The Ecosport and Aspire are good cars but I'd suggest you to stay away from them as they from 2 segments below. They'll feel too much of a downgrade from Cruze.

Last edited by navin : 22nd November 2018 at 12:14. Reason: fixed quote tags
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 21:25   #62
BHPian

The Vento is the closest to a Cruze replacement. The other cars are also decent options, but won’t be as engaging to drive.
kadanaJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 22:03   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtandon View Post
So guys after going through the requirement which of the above do you consider as the best suited vehicle and worthy replacement to the Cruze while keeping a budget of uotp 15 lakh OTR in mind.
You have not mentioned what you liked about the Cruze, and you have kept it with you for 8 long years. A very important factor in choosing a replacement. The only thing the Cruze had going for it was that beast of an engine. In every other aspect, it was average at best. If you bought the Cruze for that engine, none of these cars you have mentioned will come anywhere close to giving you that adrenaline rush which your 2010 Diesel Rocket gives you. If you need a worthy replacement on that front, you may need to increase your budget.
SCORPION is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 23:31   #64
BHPian

Well I agree here with Scorpion. If performance is what made you stick with Cruze for such a long time then none of these cars would match it. Your next best option in such a case would be Skoda Octavia TSI. It's a beast of a car with good all round comfort. If you are on a strict budget then Vento TSI AT is the best option. Happy buying 😊
rajamuneeb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 23:44   #65
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd November 2018 at 08:39.
obed5579 is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 22nd November 2018, 00:13   #66
BHPian

After being used to the beastful performance of Cruze for 8 years, i am sure you may not be satisfied with any of the cars listed by you. No doubt Vento is a strong contendor and comes close to cruze but it will not be a direct replacement for cruze. you will certainly have to lower your expectations a little bit as it is a Segment lower.
anandharamanp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 08:05   #67
BHPian

Voted for Vento TSI DSG. Thats the car to own after the Cruze if you are on a tight budget. All other cars are no match at all. Honda CVT is so dull, you can finish your coffee by the time it reaches 60. Ciaz's build quality and NVH is a big letdown. Others I wont even consider.

PS: This is coming from a DSG fan!
vinayrathore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 09:33   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
. Ciaz's build quality and NVH is a big letdown. Others I wont even consider.

Ciaz's build quality I agree, but NVH??
Ok, you are talking about petrol variants right?

Because as far as I know, ciaz diesel is among the quieter units when compared to vento/rapid tdi 1.5 and city idtec 1.5 .
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 11:26   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Because as far as I know, ciaz diesel is among the quieter units when compared to vento/rapid tdi 1.5 and city idtec 1.5 .
Agree to this point. Having driven the Ciaz Diesel, i thought it was very smooth and quiet for a Diesel engine, that too considering the fact that its our national engine. The same engine feels loud and gruff in other cars.
NFS2024 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 17:03   #70
BHPian

First of all a very happy and boisterous new year to all my confidantes.

So guys along with the change in year the Cruze has also changed hands. May its journey to the future be as calm and harmonized as it was with me.

Yes I am sad but then have to deal with its departure.

Now back to the question, that is the replacement :-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
A lot of this boils down to your priorities.

If you want a good family car, look no further than the VFM Ciaz / premium Yaris / EcoSport.
The family car thing is out of question as the Endy is there to take care of that need. The new entrant will be used for travel of not more than 2 people at a time.

Took the test drive of the Ecosport 1.5 P AT, here are my few observations, views may vary over individual likings and perceptions :-

1. The sheet metal feels quite heavy going with american standards, the doors close with a thud.

2. The car feels sturdy and has a planted drive.

3. 6 Airbags on the top end AT do give a feeling of being secure.

4. The mileage being claimed by the company is 14.75, the SA told its around 9-10 as per feedback but the MID showed it as 7.7 kmpl in the vehicle I test drove.

5. The transmission seemed to be butter smooth and gear changes were swift.

6. The top end comes with paddle shifters.

7. The vehicle being a 3 cylinder, the engine sound was quite audible and percolated in the cabin. Basically not as refined as expected.

8. Thick A pillars result in severe blind spots.

9. No rear a/c in a car of this segment that too priced at 13.37 OTR in Delhi is a downer.

10. Rear seat space is quite compact, basically won't be able to accommodate 3 adults, will quite suffice for 2 adults and a small child.

11. No inbuilt Navigation being provided by the company on top end AT when the lower Trend+ does has it but then Trend+ misses out on the sync 3 and Android Auto/Apple Carplay.

12. The Trend+ variant gets a 9" touch screen in comparison of a 8" on the Titanium+ variant.

13. The headlights were quite capable for a city run.

14. Was quite surprised to see no grab handles/coat hooks in the Top end Variant when as per the SA the lower end variant does have them.

15. Manual seat adjustments with no lumbar adjustments.

16. City friendly, compact size, higher ground clearance.

17. Road Clearance being at 200 mm still the Road Clarity is not that great, end of bonnet is not at all visible.

18. Electrochromic IRVM on Titanium+, will curb reflections from tailing vehicles.

19. Cruise Control only in the Titanium+ variant.

20. The SA took appointment twice but did not turn up on both occasions. Being already a Ford owner had to bring Ford Customer Care in picture and then he came running like a rabbit.

21. All in all some hits and some misses but then the low mileage and lack of many features as listed above will always play on the mind of the average Indian buyer looking for a car in the price range of 12-13 lakhs.

Alas that was the end of my Ecosport journey.

[quote=Just to add to the confusion, what about the Creta 1.6 P AT? A little over your budget, but well specc-ed, comfortable, easy to drive, reliable, etc.[/QUOTE]

With Endy there to do the SUV duties and after the Ecosport debacle have kept PSEUDO SUV's out of the race for the time being.

Quote:
Are you open to pre-owned options?
If so, then a 2 year old Corolla could be a good option, as could be a good deal on an Elantra.
Not so much a fan of Hyundai's but yes Corolla Petrol AT can be considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
Agreed with @lamborghini.

After driving the Cruze, I think your only option is the Vento/Rapid TSI.

Solid built, just like the Cruze.
&
Fast, just like the Cruze.
The Vento seems to be completing its life cycle, seems to be a tad bit old in the looks department and then though the DSG is a pleasure to drive but the horror stories do make an impact on the mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
I did not vote because none of them are worthy replacement to Cruze. Cruze is a standard sedan, all of the above are compact/sub compact. If you can stretch a little over, a genuine replacement would be the likes of Jetta, Corolla and Octavia, at least Elantra.
The Cruze was used to do mostly highway duties till the Endy came over after which it was used as a commuter car for point A to B travel. So now whatever contender makes it, it will be used to ferry me from Gurgaon to Karol Bagh and vice versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
You have not mentioned what you liked about the Cruze, and you have kept it with you for 8 long years. A very important factor in choosing a replacement. The only thing the Cruze had going for it was that beast of an engine. In every other aspect, it was average at best. If you bought the Cruze for that engine, none of these cars you have mentioned will come anywhere close to giving you that adrenaline rush which your 2010 Diesel Rocket gives you. If you need a worthy replacement on that front, you may need to increase your budget.
Yes you are right, the engine was quite engaging and till now whenever the turbo kicked in it brought a huge smile to my face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
Voted for Vento TSI DSG. Thats the car to own after the Cruze if you are on a tight budget. All other cars are no match at all. Honda CVT is so dull, you can finish your coffee by the time it reaches 60. Ciaz's build quality and NVH is a big letdown. Others I wont even consider.

Bro your love for the Vento and the DSG is quite known and obvious, some day I will join you too in the merry making although with some other ingredient in the receptacle.
Old 3rd January 2019, 21:36   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Ciaz Facelift vs the others

Though the segment is the same, the cars are as different as chalk and cheese here, my thoughts on each car as summarized below :

Ciaz - The perfect chauffeur car, 90:10 in terms of comfort:drivability.

City - A better mix of comfort:divability than Ciaz, 70:30

Vento/Rapid - TSi is sporty all the way, comfort isn't optimal though, 40:60 ratio

Verna - best balance of ride and handling, comfort lacking only due to space

Yaris - Is a junior Corolla, should have the 2nd best ride:handling comfort after Verna, loses out on engine and transmission.

The new Ciaz looks the part at night, from the rear, if you're not paying attention it looks like a Bimmer and from the front it looks very European. Tons of space and comfort, it does what a sedan should do, in an era where sedans are fast being ignored for their lack of comfort and space. Build quality and engine spec are the only two reasons why most do not choose it, had those been licked I'd have considered one as a cheap point A to B mover in the back-seat.
Old 4th January 2019, 15:01   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Honestly, if it is just 2 people travelling, and given you find the Vento to be outdated - I'd suggest having a look at the Verna Diesel (the engine + better mannerisms), or the Yaris (practical).
I understand you aren't a big fan of Hyundai's - and truth be told, neither am I. But these new Hyundai's are a significant improvement over their predecessors and are worth having a look. In fact, if I didn't need the best back seat in business - I'd have picked the elantra over the Corolla for it's nicer interiors and better drive.
If nothing else - the City / Ciaz is always there.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 14:46   #73
BHPian

I currently own a 2014 Verna CRDI. My daily commute is about 35 kms two-way. My requirements are a simple family car with a decent cabin & comfortable ride. Due to rising traffic woes in Chennai I'm looking for an AT.

Ciaz appears to be the cheapest among the insanely priced C-segment. The only thing that is holding me back is the rattling department. Can someone who owns Ciaz tell me how the car fares in the long term?
Old 17th January 2019, 20:01   #74
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpkeerthi View Post
The only thing that is holding me back is the rattling department. Can someone who owns Ciaz tell me how the car fares in the long term?
A close friend owns one in Chennai and has done some 60k km mostly within the confines of the city and the car has held up well. He is also a sedate driver and maintains his cars pretty well.

Zero rattles? Ummm...not really, but minimal sounds that are bearable in a Maruti.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2019, 11:31   #75
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
A close friend owns one in Chennai and has done some 60k km mostly within the confines of the city and the car has held up well. He is also a sedate driver and maintains his cars pretty well.

Zero rattles? Ummm...not really, but minimal sounds that are bearable in a Maruti.
I think that is mainly due to the soft suspension Ciaz is having and not because of Maruti improved the fit and finish by leaps and bounds. I think they have also applied some factory damping on doors as I did not notice ‘water falling on a hollow door panel’ sound when I washed my cousins Ciaz last weekend.

Most Viewed