Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which C2 segment sedan would you choose?
Maruti Ciaz Facelift 56 14.04%
Honda City 101 25.31%
Hyundai Verna 126 31.58%
Toyota Yaris 27 6.77%
Skoda Rapid 39 9.77%
Volkswagen Vento 33 8.27%
Fiat Linea 17 4.26%
Other (please specify in your post) 0 0%
Voters: 399. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2020, 16:07   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Ciaz Facelift vs the others

I agree with Prasanna here on the Ciaz - Before the lockdown, I used to switch among 2 Ciaz, 1 City and 1 Verna (all 2018) & 1 City 2013 - Ciaz is built for passenger comfort, its ride is plush and has just the right amount of dampening in the suspension. For a long distance cruise, Ciaz is more comfortable than a City petrol, the diesel engine is very relaxed at highway speeds.
Kosfactor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 16:37   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I would disagree here. In my experience of 1.14 lakh km in ciaz, I never found the ride to be jiggly at any speeds legal. The steering feedback at triple digit speeds around curves is pathetic in ciaz and the Germans are a different league, agreed. But ride is the ciaz's plus point. Space and ride quality are the only strong points taking into account the below average handling and mediocre engines. This, coming from someone who has done several 700km trips in the ciaz. I am guessing either the tyre/air pressure/suspension in the car you experienced must be off the right settings.
Totally agree there since there is a lot of time I have spent, as a driver and a co-passenger, and once even at the rear seat of a Ciaz.

The Ciaz may not offer the best ride quality but at whatsoever speeds, it is definitely comfortable including jumping over undulations (Uneven culverts) at higher speeds where it doesn't throw the passenger out of his seat. The suspension is compliant and isn't bouncy even under full load and that matters a lot over those long highway runs.

My samples come from a drive of 2600 Km and 700+ Km over two drives in the last year.

Except for the steering that hasn't got the best feedback that I had also mentioned as a post on the official review thread, the car is absolutely stable at higher speeds too.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 10:04   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw on Autocar site that Honda is planning to continue selling the current City alongside the incoming one, AND slash prices. That should make things more interesting in this segment. I do hope they will not cheapen the interiors though.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...neously-417161
<Honda is also likely to drop prices of the fourth-gen City by a significant amount.>
Old 7th May 2020, 17:53   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Saw on Autocar site that Honda is planning to continue selling the current City alongside the incoming one, AND slash prices. That should make things more interesting in this segment. I do hope they will not cheapen the interiors though.
Slash price generally = slash equipment & feature list / quality. I don't see Honda doing an exception.

If they don't reduce equipment and / or quality - new City has very few reasons to sell higher.
If they leave the car unchanged - Honda will have a lot of recent customers who bought it at a premium, with really sour taste & hating Honda for a long time!

Other Thread

Last edited by Reinhard : 7th May 2020 at 17:54.
Old 5th June 2020, 15:40   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

With the massive reduction in Skoda Rapid Rider variant to 7.49L yet with good kit, will it change the poll results?
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 17:13   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
With the massive reduction in Skoda Rapid Rider variant to 7.49L yet with good kit, will it change the poll results?
Once a potential customer steps inside this rider vehicle, it is going to take some effort to convince that person that this old vehicle is any better than the others. Remember the entry level sedan (Etios \ Verito) segment that is largely out of the private buyer`s mind. I feel this model is targeted at the Sub4M buyer than a Ciaz \ Verna \ City.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 18:20   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In my opinion, definitely! Rider is a fantastic option at the cost that's lesser than any C2 sedan now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Once a potential customer steps inside this rider vehicle, it is going to take some effort to convince that person that this old vehicle is any better than the others. Remember the entry level sedan (Etios \ Verito) segment that is largely out of the private buyer`s mind. I feel this model is targeted at the Sub4M buyer than a Ciaz \ Verna \ City.
Except for the lack of infotainment, I don't think the interior has any cheap feel. Infact the Rapid has very nicely put, quality interiors. Everything feels sturdy and the colour scheme is also fresh (better than its sibling vento). There is adequate space, the seats are very well engineered and it's a quite comfortable space to be in.

If I had to choose between a base model ciaz petrol / rapid rider today, I would definitely choose the Skoda . It's better built, drives better, handles sharper and ride quality is among the best (second only to Ciaz/City) and is one of the fastest among the segment.

Throw in a nice ICE, alloy wheels and projector headlamps, it is as good as any C2 sedan on sale today.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 21:02   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, need your advice for our second vehicle.
Requirements:
1. As cheap as possible (less than 9.99 ex-s preferred)
1.1. Sedan preferred for easy ingress/egress
3. Best-in-class back seat space & ride
4. To be exclusively chauffeur-driven
5. Monthly usage ~ 1200 km so borderline between petrol & diesel
6. To be retained for easy 5 years
7. Manual preferred but automatic would be an asset

Do I really have any other options than the Ciaz petrol manual?
Why not have a look at the recently launched Rapid In the rider variant, at 7.49L Ex Showroom, the deal really cant get sweeter than that, and once in a while when you want to get behind the wheel it will be a real treat.
armaan_singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 10:42   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, if the poll was to have been launched now, Rapid would have received a lot more votes, courtesy the Rider. The car has been packaged and priced well minus some features. It can give some variants of competitors a good run for their money.
Old 6th July 2020, 13:31   #115
BHPian

I voted for Honda City.

I have owned Honda City 2010 MT, 2012 AT TC and 2016 CVT now. Every time, I have tried to replace it with something else, I failed. The only close competitor for me is Verna. However City scores over Verna in space, that sweet I-VTEC engine and fuel efficiency.
daredevil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 04:09   #116

Replacing my 2010 Maruti Suzuki SX-4 ZXI AT

Greetings,

This is my very first post on the Team BHP forum as I'm a very new member to the family. Please excuse my inexperience on the forum.

My family is looking to replace our 2010 Maruti Suzuki SX-4 ZXI AT 2010 soon as the car is almost 10 years old and the fuel economy is very poor (8 kmpl in city driving). The SX-4 in its 10 years has covered almost 85000kms and been an extremely reliable car for us. The car itself is very sound mechanically but we are still looking to change it and buy a new car for my mother's birthday in early November this year.

The new car will be used for city driving in Mumbai only. Highway driving is taken care of by our Ford Endeavour.

The parameters for the new car are as follows :

Ours is a family of 5 and except for mom all of us are 6' to 6'2" tall.

1) Must be a sedan only as I don't believe in the concept of front wheel drive compact SUVs. They're are oversized hatchbacks to me and we already own a 2017 Ford Endeavour 3.2 alongside the SX-4.

2) Spacious cabin is a must. Should be able to seat 3 abreast comfortably in the rear seat. (I understand shoulder room can be a bit tight but hoping to find the most comfortable pick.)

3) Automatic Transmission and Petrol fuel type only as my mother is not used to driving manuals anymore and dad prefers the comfort of an automatic transmission over manuals for Mumbai traffic.

4) Good fuel economy and lower maintenance costs are a plus but not deal breakers.

6) Not fussy about fancy tech features such as sunroof, heated / cooled seats, lane watch cameras, premium audio systems, paddle shifts, connected car features etc. We do want the car to come fitted with a parking camera and proximity sensors as my younger brother is only 19 and still working on his parking skills. Will prefer that the car sits on at least 16 inch alloys as even our decade old SX-4 has them.

7) Budget : On - road 15 Lakhs in Mumbai. Something closer to 13 lakhs would be better.

10) Good ground clearance would be a plus given the state of speed breakers in our country. Low ride height will be a deal breaker as my parents prefer easy ingress and egress given that they are in their 50s.

Having kept all the above points in mind, please help us make an informed decision.

The options and the dilemma :

At the moment, the new face-lifted Suzuki Ciaz is the front runner owing to its spacious cabin, ease of running, low maintenance, mild hybrid tech and the top notch after sales service of Maruti Suzuki.
But, I have reservations regarding the performance and the transmission. Are the Ciaz and the SX-4 really all that different? Under the hood both cars have a similar power output while the SX-4 has a marginally better torque output! Also, even in 2020, Ciaz is still using a 4 speed torque converter which is what our SX-4 currently uses too. How quick shifting is the transmission in the Ciaz and is it fun to drive? What are the advantages over the City? How effective is the mild hybrid tech?

The new 5th Gen Honda City VX CVT is a beautiful car as well and we quite like the look of it too. Does the new 5th Gen City VX CVT really justify it's 15+ lakhs on road asking price? How much bigger is the 5th Gen City than the 4th Gen? What are the average service costs? Are we better off picking the 4th Gen City over the 5th Gen? What are the biggest advantages over the Ciaz?

The new Verna is an option too. But we are not sure which is the better pick between the DCT and IVT. Also, how spacious is the back seat? How precise is the IVT? Does it work as well as a conventional automatic transmission?

We are not very keen on the new Skoda Rapid and VW Vento given their smaller dimensions, higher maintenance costs and overall limited features when compared to rivals.

We are not considering the Toyota Yaris as it is a much smaller car than the others listed above.

Please feel free to mention any options that I may have missed. Really looking forward to the valuable advise of this wonderful community.

Thank you for reading through all of my mental confusion .
TurboPetrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 08:16   #117
Senior - BHPian

Since you're looking at a purely city car, why not try the Jazz? I know it is not a sedan, but it has got incredible interior space and huge boot. If you're moving anything that doesn't fit in the Jazz, use the Endeavour

Totally get it if your family won't accept a hatchback and if you must buy a sedan - considering the usage pattern you've mentioned, I'd buy the Ciaz eyes closed. Money not object, I'd buy the Honda City which is slightly superior.

But do get an extended test drive of both cars with your parents driving and on the back seat. Ignore the Verna as it is too cramped.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 08:22   #118
BHPian

Re: Replacing my 2010 Maruti Suzuki SX-4 ZXI AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
I have owned Honda City 2010 MT, 2012 AT TC and 2016 CVT now. Every time, I have tried to replace it with something else, I failed. The only close competitor for me is Verna. However City scores over Verna in space, that sweet I-VTEC engine and fuel efficiency.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboPetrolhead View Post
2) Spacious cabin is a must. Should be able to seat 3 abreast comfortably in the rear seat. (I understand shoulder room can be a bit tight but hoping to find the most comfortable pick.)

4) Good fuel economy and lower maintenance costs are a plus but not deal breakers.

6) Not fussy about fancy tech features such as sunroof, heated / cooled seats, lane watch cameras, premium audio systems, paddle shifts, connected car features etc. We do want the car to come fitted with a parking camera and proximity sensors as my younger brother is only 19 and still working on his parking skills. Will prefer that the car sits on at least 16 inch alloys as even our decade old SX-4 has them.

7) Budget : On - road 15 Lakhs in Mumbai. Something closer to 13 lakhs would be better.
I would pick the Honda City for your requirements. Testimony from long term City owners should be enough proof regarding its reliability.

You can get a feel of the fixed service costs (excluding wear & tear parts) for the City at this link https://www.hondacarindia.com/honda-...tofmaintenance

Good luck with your search & choose wisely.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks