Team-BHP - Maruti Ciaz Facelift vs the others
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Sedans (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/)
-   -   Maruti Ciaz Facelift vs the others (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/202871-maruti-ciaz-facelift-vs-others.html)

Maruti Ciaz Facelift vs the others-ciaz-fl-comparo.png

Maruti Ciaz Facelift

What you'll like:

• Clean styling & big footprint. Among the longest & widest sedans from its class
• Value-for-money pricing that undercuts almost all rivals
• Spacious cabin with lots of practical features. Rear legroom is particularly impressive
• Petrol variant has now improved, thanks to the new 1.5L motor
• Soft, compliant ride quality. A suspension that's tuned for comfort
• Big 510 liter boot will swallow your airport & holiday luggage
• Maruti’s excellent after-sales service, wide dealer network & fuss-free ownership experience
• Equipment such as the automatic LED headlamps, DRLs, 7" touchscreen ICE, rear sunshade, cruise control, telematics system etc.

What you won't:

• New 1.5L petrol is rather mediocre. City & Verna petrol engines are much superior
• Small 1.3L diesel can't match the performance of the competition. Has turbo-lag too
• 4-speed Automatic gearbox feels old & outdated. No Diesel AT option either
• Petrol Ciaz has gotten more expensive by 34k – 65k (diesel has actually become cheaper!)
• Uninvolving to drive. Enthusiasts, look elsewhere
• Average under-thigh support of the low rear seat. Also, limited rear headroom for 6 footers
• Light build & ordinary interior quality. The game has moved on with newer competitors
• Maruti has missed the opportunity of a true top-end variant with 6 airbags, sunroof, auto-wipers & more

Link to Official Review

Honda City
Maruti Ciaz Facelift vs the others-6.jpg

What you'll like:

• Practical diesel, fast petrol and convenient CVT. Take your pick
• Loaded with equipment (sunroof, feather-touch climate control, keyless entry & go, rear air-con, reversing camera)
• Extremely spacious cabin. Loads of sensible touches make it easy to live with
• Diesel & Petrol, both, have decent ARAI fuel efficiency ratings
• Big 510 liter boot will swallow your airport & holiday luggage
• Light controls, slick gearshift and easy maneuverability for the city. Effortless to drive

What you won't:

• Same diesel as the Amaze. Outright performance & refinement levels are lower than the Verna, Vento & Rapid
• Skinny 185 mm tyres too
• Light build quality. Lacks the sheer solidity of its European rivals
• Electric steering remains light & sensitive at high speed. No feedback either
• 6 footers will find rear headroom to be in short supply
• Some features missing (proper dead pedal, folding rear seat, height-adjustable seatbelts)

Link to Official Review

Link to report - 2017 Honda City Facelift

Hyundai Verna

What you'll like:

• A true all-rounder. Elantra-esque styling packs appeal too
• The overall package is well-priced. Offers good value for money
• Refined 1.6L diesel & petrol engines mated to smooth 6-speed MTs & ATs
• Precise build & quality (including interiors) are easily among the segment best
• Suspension delivers a compliant ride & neutral road manners
• Loaded with kit! Hands-free boot, cooled seats, sunroof, rear sunshade, AutoLink etc.
• Dual airbags, ABS & ISOFIX mounts are standard on all variants. SX(O) gets 6 airbags
• Hyundai's reliability, competent after-sales & 3-year unlimited km warranty

What you won't:

• Rear seat isn't as spacious as that of the City & Ciaz. SX(O)'s hard seatback makes it worse
• Missing essentials! Reach-adjustable steering, auto wipers, auto-folding ORVMs…
• Diesel AT is unavailable in the fully-loaded variant!
• On select variants, the diesel motor carries a steep premium over the petrol (SX = 1.69 lakhs)
• Petrol AT isn't as fuel efficient as a couple of its rivals
• While the driving experience has improved, some competitors are still more exciting to drive
• Loses the rear disc brakes that the last-gen Verna was launched with. Braking feel & bite leave a lot to be desired

Link to Official Review

Toyota Yaris

What you'll like:

• A well-built sedan; feels sturdier than the City and Ciaz
• Good quality cabin with built-to-last materials & excellent NVH insulation
• Mature ride comfort with sorted road manners
• Smooth CVT automatic is available in all trim levels
• Features such as the auto headlamps + wipers, electric driver's seat, front parking sensors, rear sunshade etc.
• 5-star safety rating & kit! 7 airbags, all-disc brakes, ESP, HSA, TPMS, 3-point seatbelts for all & more
• Toyota's excellent after-sales quality, fuss-free ownership experiences, low service costs & up to 7 years of extended warranty coverage

What you won't:

• Simply overpriced, especially the higher variants. Toyota has gotten it wrong
• Rear seat's width is enough for 2 adults only, while rear headroom is limited too. Passengers will complain
• Engine feels adequate, but isn't exciting at all. CVT gets sluggish with an enthusiastic driving style
• Many will find the over-styled face to be a turnoff
• No turbo-diesel option for the torque lovers
• Missing auto-dimming IRVM, reach-adjustable steering, dead pedal, auto-folding ORVMs, sunroof & 195 mm tyres
• Top variant's audio head-unit has several flaws. Misses Android Auto & Apple CarPlay as well

Link to Official Review

Skoda Rapid
Maruti Ciaz Facelift vs the others-7.jpeg

What you'll like:

• Confidence inspiring dynamics, brakes and chassis
• Smooth & convenient 7-Speed DSG Automatic. Lightning fast upshifts
• Competent 1.5L diesel engine. Good driveability & performance
• Safety kit: ESC (electronic stability control), hill-hold function, ABS & dual airbags
• An automatic that provides excellent fuel economy too
• European build quality is more solid than most competitors
• Mature suspension. Balanced ride & handling package
• Features such as projector headlamps, rake & reach steering, cruise control, adjustable driver armrest, rear air-con etc.

What you won't:

• Long-term reliability concerns over the DQ200 DSG transmission
• 1.5L TDI is loud & gruffy at high rpm
• Tall rear floor hump makes the Rapid more suited as a 4 seater, than 5
• This model is now among the oldest from the C2 sedan segment. Fresher alternatives are available
• Rapid doesn't get the 1.2L TSI engine from the Vento. Lacklustre 1.6L MPI continues
• Skoda’s ill-famed after sales service & dealer network

Link to Official Review

Link to Official Review - 2014 Skoda Rapid 1.5L DSG

Link to BHPian laddz1121's 2016 Skoda Rapid Facelift Ownership Report

Volkswagen Vento

What you'll like:

• A well-built, robust, European sedan
• Clean and contemporary styling. Boot is superbly integrated
• Stunning diesel engine.
• Mature suspension setup. Balanced ride & handling
• Segment firsts : Reach adjust steering, gear recommender, adjustable driver armrest etc.
• All-rounded nature; Jack of all trades

What you won't:

• 8.19L Trendline (entry) variant is simply too basic
• Electric power steering. The Vento deserves a pure hydraulic unit
• Quite a loud & clattery diesel engine
• VW's after sales has yet to prove itself
• VW's long-term reliability and ownership costs are on the higher side

Link to Official Review

Link to Report - 2015 Volkswagen Vento Facelift

Fiat Linea
Maruti Ciaz Facelift vs the others-24dsc_3751.jpg

What you'll like:

• Stunning looks & "vault-like" build
• Turbo-charged petrol makes the Linea extremely satisfying to drive
• Best-in-class ride comfort, handling & dynamics package
• Perfectly calibrated & weighted power steering
• A+ braking capability. All-round disc brakes a segment first
• Top level of equipment (including leather seats, Blue&Me, rear air-con and more)

What you won't:

• Long throw, rubbery gear shift is the only fly in the fun-to-drive ointment
• Rear seat is the least spacious from this segment. 5 an impossible fit
• Awkward driving position and ergonomics
• Interior quality, fit & finish still have rough edges
• Niggling issues & irritants (as reported by existing Linea / Punto owners)
• Below average after-sales service quality

Link to Official Review - Fiat Linea T-Jet

Link to BHPian nkrishnap's 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift Test Drive Report

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Sedans Section.

I feel that this segment is in dire need of some innovation. Every car here has atleast one deal-breaker.

Ciaz - Mediocre engine, light build quality.
City - Expensive, light build quality. Also due for a generation change.
Verna - Cramped rear seat.
Yaris - Overpriced.
Vento / Rapid - Old, dicey after sales.

No wonder the Creta sells so much. :uncontrol

However, for me, it's the Verna that comes closest to being the best package. Decent dynamics, good engines, great refinement and quality and loaded with features. If only it could seat adults at the back.

Voted YARIS, simply for the base J AT variant because no other sedan gives me that kind of safety equipment under 10L ex-showroom with a CVT and it feels well built too. I am not too much into electronics, as long as I get an EPS, Power windows , basic audio system(can be upgraded later) & a rear AC vent. Another strong point in favor of Toyota is the perceived reliability and supposedly economical cost of ownership. :thumbs up

However if I have to look at higher variants YARIS is simply out of contention because of absurd pricing. :Frustrati

My choice would depend upon the choice of the fuel as well as the choice of the transmission-

1. Petrol Manual- Honda City
2. Petrol Auto- Honda City
3. Diesel Manual- Vento TDI
4. Diesel Automatic- Verna SX+(not the Vento due to the ill-famed DQ200)

If I have to say a single name, it is going to be the Vento TDI which is a hoot to drive, closely followed by the Verna diesel which has a great diesel engine. The City petrol would be a distant third.

I strongly believe that Maruti Ciaz is a winner. IMHO, Ciaz is the best family Sedan under 11big ones. VFM proposition, spacious cabin, ride quality and Maruti badge are USPs for Ciiaz. However, The enthusiast inside me is disappointed with the 1.3Ltr engine.

If I am in the market for a diesel Sedan, I"ll go for Verna Diesel. I am a big fan of Verna's 1.6 engine. Bells and whistles like Hands-free boot, cooled seats, sunroof, rear sunshade, AutoLink are mouthwatering. Voted for Hyundai Verna.

For me it is Hyundai Verna as it has more positives and definitely a better all rounder in this lot.

Just sometime back it would have been Honda City but I feel Hyundai has taken the game further now. Ciaz definitely has the desirability quotient due to the looks, space and badge but engines and dynamics are a let down for me.

I did multiple test drives of Ciaz petrol (old one though) before going for Verna petrol. The rear seat of Ciaz is a real pain point for older people. My dad in the back seat suffered the most in all those test drives that we made. Moreover, with recent pricing, it inches closer to Verna et all.

I liked Yaris though, but apparently they are only making cars for Maharajas.

Hence, voted for Verna for its VFM all-rounder approach.

As I post, I am the first/only one to vote for Vento. That is understandable given the DSG issues, lean after sales service and loud diesel engine clatter it characterizes.

But I voted Vento because of two reasons, the beautiful diesel engine and elegant design. As it comes to exterior, every other car IMO is overdone in one aspect or the other, be those unwanted design curves or glaring chrome jobs.

My ranking (for petrol AT variants). I am comparing the top end models :

1. Verna - Good mix of gizmos, looks and safety features. Decent engine and gearbox. Lack of rear space is a downer.
2. Vento : best drivers car, the recent addition of side airbags increases the safety aspect. Potential dsg failure and a.s.s are the downsides.
3. City : great car with everything in place. Except for price and the value engineered rattles.
4. Ciaz : comfortable, spacious, good commuter car at a great price. If only it had 6 airbags, it would be vying for a top 2 spot.
5. Yaris: would have been a strong contender if it was priced similar to the Verna. And they had a better AV system +armrest :D
6. Rapid: uses the old mpi engine so no dsg worries. But skoda a.s.s.
Also Linea : No AT, no rating

My analysis is ONLY based on petrol engines:

Maruti Ciaz Facelift: boring for enthusiasts, but probably the VFM choice in the lot and would be 2nd on my list.
Honda City: my pick (considering the sweet petrol engine).
Hyundai Verna: would be third in the list.
Toyota Yaris: ridiculously priced!
Skoda Rapid / Volkswagen Vento: last due to reliability issues.
Fiat Linea: does it even sell?

Verna is THE new Team-Bhp favourite in the segment. :thumbs up

This is not the first time Verna is straightaway taking the lead in a poll, but is currently having twice the number of votes as the City.

City + Ciaz + Yaris combined is having lesser votes than Verna. A decade ago, people would have laughed if someone suggested Verna taking such a lead in a Team-Bhp poll! :D

While the Verna and City are good and popular cars kindly be wary of below

Verna-

Defective Engine

Defective AC

Defective Gear Box

Honda City-

It's very own niggles thread.

Thankfully the Ciaz owners are yet to report such issues though I am sure they must be someone out there with teething problems in their Maruti's and may have not reported on popular forums such as ours. All in all I feel reliability of this segment has suffered and manufacturers are more keen to tap into the crossover market and might focus more on similar vehicles while ignoring the quality and needs of this segment. Even the Ciaz which ideally should have come with a 6 speed gear box and 6 airbags at least in top variant are missing these things.

if I am buying a petrol, its Honda City with that sweet 1.5 engine all the way. Diesel will be Verna.

P.S. Have voted for the Honda City

I will pick the Vento Comfort Line TSI AT from that bunch.

Safety, performance, black interiors, build, space all guaranteed. And hopefully peace of mind too with that new 7 year warranty. Willing to take a bit of risk for the fun! :)

Actually, if the Rapid had the TSi, I would have picked that. It looks good and the dealer is not bad here at Kochi.