Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2018, 16:16   #1
BHPian

A fun-to-drive car under 8 lakhs?

Am in a dilemma at the moment as i look around to buy a Fun used sedan under 8 lakhs. The last cars i had was a Toyota Camry (the one with a nice big petrol 2.4L engine) & prior to that a trusty Mitsubishi Lancer Petrol.

My daily work usage is very light and hence can put up with crap mileage as well. Some of the cars that i’ve been considering (not in any real order of importance):

1. Ford 1.6S (But hard to find sparingly used & well maintained pieces. Came across a few, but overpriced in my opinion)
2. Honda Accord V6 (a bit too large for me & the area i stay in has increasingly becoming crowded. Was a bit of challenge with my Camry as well)
3. Skoda Laura 1.8 vRS (very very few pieces on the used market)
4. Skoda Laura 1.8 MT (Seems like a good bet)

Any other Suggestions folks?
Old 22nd October 2018, 18:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: A fun-to-drive car under 8 lakhs?

Unless you are averse to Diesels, please include the S Cross 1.6 as well as the current gen Ford Aspire/ Ford Figo on your list. Fantastic buys if you can find well maintained used examples within your budget.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 18:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

You may have already checked it, but nevertheless, here is a related thread to help you in your decision making:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buyin...pees-less.html (ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less)

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 19:11   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxsend View Post
Am in a dilemma at the moment as i look around to buy a Fun used sedan under 8 lakhs.
  • Linea T-Jet for its zippy petrol engine, excellent hydraulic steering and decent handling
  • Ford Fiesta 1.5TDCi (Global) - for its rounded package of a torquey diesel motor, great driving dynamics and a good EPS steering. A tuning box or remap could pep up the motor too.
cogWheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 19:16   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Am in a dilemma at the moment as i look around to buy a Fun used sedan under 8 lakhs. The last cars i had was a Toyota Camry (the one with a nice big petrol 2.4L engine) & prior to that a trusty Mitsubishi Lancer Petrol.

My daily work usage is very light and hence can put up with crap mileage as well. Some of the cars that i’ve been considering (not in any real order of importance):

1. Ford 1.6S (But hard to find sparingly used & well maintained pieces. Came across a few, but overpriced in my opinion)
2. Honda Accord V6 (a bit too large for me & the area i stay in has increasingly becoming crowded. Was a bit of challenge with my Camry as well)
3. Skoda Laura 1.8 vRS (very very few pieces on the used market)

You seem to have a very expensive taste

I suggest you buy something that has sold in decent numbers / is still on sale. 8L is a lot of money for something not going to be used much.

Since you have put Fiesta 1.6 to the list, I would add City Gen5 as well to the list and then go and buy a Duster. a 14 L car that is now available for around 6-7 , replace the clutch (70K) /Tires and then its good for another 60-70K Kms.

Hope this helps!
Old 22nd October 2018, 19:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

1. Honda Civic - High revving, low slung, good handling & great gearbox.
2. Laura 1.8
3. Cruze - For the engine
4. Yeti -??
5. Linea T-Jet / Fiesta 1.5 TDCi / Vento 1.6 Tdi (a little cheaper)
6. Or how about a new Polo GT / Figo Sports / the much anticipated Tiago JTP.
oxyzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 20:45   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Going by your list, this seems the best choice, the Skoda MTs are reliable (the recent ATs too are nice), are mod friendly, well built, handle like a dream and are safe on the road.

You wont need to spend 8 lac on one, 5-7 lac should be enough which will leave you with some funds for better tires, seats etc.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 20:51   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Since you have put Fiesta 1.6 to the list, I would add City Gen5 as well to the list and then go and buy a Duster. a 14 L car that is now available for around 6-7 , replace the clutch (70K) /Tires and then its good for another 60-70K Kms.

Hope this helps!
Both cannot be termed 'fun' in the sense it is interpreted City has a sweet engine but very average package on the whole. And I say this having owned one for almost a decade now. A used Civic with similar vintage can be had for a similar price, and is vastly more fun to drive. Again from ownership experience

To the OP, a nice big engine seems to be what pulls your strings. In which case, only the 1.8 TSI, 2.0 TDI or bigger NA petrols would appeal to you. Your shortlist is good, only addition seems to be the Jetta.

If you can downgrade on the Engine front, whole lot of options already mentioned here open up like the Civic, TJet Linea etc. Cruze is best avoided now.
avisidhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 21:20   #9
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unless you are averse to diesels, I'd suggest the Jetta TDI. You can get a 2011-2013 model within your budget. It has a great engine and being turbocharged, has a lot of mod potential as well.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 21:42   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Both cannot be termed 'fun' in the sense it is interpreted City has a sweet engine but very average package on the whole. And I say this having owned one for almost a decade now. A used Civic with similar vintage can be had for a similar price, and is vastly more fun to drive. Again from ownership experience

To the OP, a nice big engine seems to be what pulls your strings. In which case, only the 1.8 TSI, 2.0 TDI or bigger NA petrols would appeal to you. Your shortlist is good, only addition seems to be the Jetta.

If you can downgrade on the Engine front, whole lot of options already mentioned here open up like the Civic, TJet Linea etc. Cruze is best avoided now.
You've read me well. I figure with this whole global shift towards electric cars, lower emissions, etc., there's no better time than NOW, to buy whatever biggest & fastest your wallet can afford. Before all of it becomes more difficult.

Petrol, because my commutes are pretty light distance wise and so don't need the economies that diesel offers (or at least used to offer)
auxsend is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 00:11   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm in a similar kind of situation and I'm leaning towards the Laura 1.8TSi. Especially since my budget is only half of yours.

With a budget of 8 lacs, and the fact that it's not your daily driver, I'm sure you can venture into the beemer category. But, I'm not the one who can advise you on that. I'm sure more experienced bhp's can, in that segment.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 01:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Am in a dilemma at the moment as i look around to buy a Fun used sedan under 8 lakhs.
If I had that 8 lakhs now, may go to the nearest Ford Showroom and book a Ford Figo Aspire 1.5 TDCi Titanium+ (the extra 1.25 - 1.5 Lakhs required can be on loan)

True FTD, 5 year warranty, easy to maintain & that eye-popping mileage

Cheers!

Vinu

Last edited by myavu : 23rd October 2018 at 01:30.
myavu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 08:55   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: A fun-to-drive car under 8 lakhs?

Don't go for the Fiesta 1.6S. Outdated by current standards.

If I were in your shoes, my top choices would be:

1. VW Jetta 2.0 TDI MT: Fast, spacious, mature dynamics, reliable. Get a simple remap that will bump up it up to ~180 BHP.

2. Fiat Abarth Punto: F-A-S-T, beautiful steering, amazing road manners.

3. Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI: guaranteed every time you redline that sweet revv-happy motor. MT means no DSG headaches.

4. S-Cross 1.6: A Maruti that feels & drives like a European car. Engine has long legs too.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd October 2018 at 08:56.
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 12:47   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If I were in your shoes, my top choices would be:

1. VW Jetta 2.0 TDI MT: Fast, spacious, mature dynamics, reliable. Get a simple remap that will bump up it up to ~180 BHP.

2. Fiat Abarth Punto: F-A-S-T, beautiful steering, amazing road manners.

3. Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI: guaranteed every time you redline that sweet revv-happy motor. MT means no DSG headaches.

4. S-Cross 1.6: A Maruti that feels & drives like a European car. Engine has long legs too.
Can't agree with this list more! However, keeping in mind maintenance & reliability - I'd pick the S-Cross 1.6 first. It helps that it is very tuner friendly, with many owners getting the Wolf remap, and a little more.

Skoda/VW: Though fairly reliable - the Jetta has been discontinued and parts won't be as easy to procure + ABS sensor & AC and a few other niggles are present in both the Laura & Jetta. If you go for one of these, look for a 2012-2013 or later year vehicle which would be more reliable.

Another option I'd just like to throw in is the Ford Figo S TDCi - brand new (low maintenance), easy to maneuver and park, fairly well equipped and spacious, neutral handling, and couple that with the meaty diesel engine - it will be fairly engaging to drive too. When you get bored - a simple remap will plaster a smile back on your face.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 13:19   #15
BHPian

Interestingly, there's a Laura RS for sale right here through the Classifieds section. Has been souped up a fair bit, but seems a bit pricey.

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...da/Laura.html/

Last edited by GTO : 23rd October 2018 at 16:47. Reason: STRICTLY no SMS language on this forum (e.g. thru)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks