Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 12th June 2019, 12:59   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Used Automatic car under 5 lakhs, for safety & rear seat comfort

We were in the same boat as you, except we wanted a manual. We picked up a 2009 Honda City for a smudge under 3L, saving a significant amount of cash. It did have a few problems which were sorted out. In the two years of ownership we've spent under 25k (a 5k expense is expected in the coming weeks). It's a very good car, but honestly unless you're okay with sub-par NVH then look elsewhere. Don't get me wrong - it's far better than a hatchback, but it is not in the same league as the Corolla and Civic despite similar pricing in the used market.

While you might have to shell out a bit more cash, I reckon a Corolla/Civic would be a great option for you. Post-2012 Civics are quite dependable and comfortable and I found the backseat comfort to be very good too (better than the Altis personally). Driving dynamics are far superior, too. I'd personally steer clear of Hyundais because a lot of my friends have had terrible experiences with reliability and ASC.

If you're willing to put in a bit more cash then an Accord/Camry might work too. You'll find several well-maintained models for around 5L but it might cost more to maintain.
AnInternetUser is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2019, 19:59   #17
BHPian

Fellow Gentlemen,
I am looking for an automatic for urban commute. I have come across an used 2008 civic 1.8 AT. The dealer quotes 3.5 lakhs. I love civics as most of us do. Given it passes our checklist, is it advisable to pick a 11 year old car with 97k kms on the odometer ?
shansundar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2019, 09:38   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shansundar View Post
Fellow Gentlemen,
I am looking for an automatic for urban commute. I have come across an used 2008 civic 1.8 AT. The dealer quotes 3.5 lakhs. I love civics as most of us do. Given it passes our checklist, is it advisable to pick a 11 year old car with 97k kms on the odometer ?
Overpriced buddy. Civics of this vintage go for 2.2 - 2.5 max. Please check other samples as well before buying.
Pancham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2019, 12:18   #19

Hi everyone,

We saw and drove a few cars and here are our comments :
Toyota Corolla - We saw a couple of 2011 models, both of which had run 80k and with asking prices around 4.5L. Backseat comfort was good and gear shifting smooth. Rejected both due to cars being maintained poorly (both had AC cooling issues and more). Looking out for seeing more.

Honda Civic - My wife has been interested in a Civic for many years and so, we decided to see a few. Saw a 2010 Jan model and a 2012 model both run less than 60k (3.5L and 5L asking). Family liked the comfort of the rear seats but I was always a little wary of hitting the underside when going over speed breakers and potholes. Parked the Civic idea to see a few more Corollas. Also, Honda City was briefly considered but vetoed by the better half due to intuition.

3. Ford Ecosport - Saw a 2014 Titanium model with 80k on the odo for 6.25. Backseat comfort was fine but I felt the gear shifts were pronounced (probably since I had just driven a Corolla before). Since it was out of budget, not considered.

4. Maruti Ciaz - We rented cars for the weekend and drove a 2019 Ciaz for some days. Wife loves the back seat comfort and the drive is fine as well. We are thinking if we should consider older models of Ciaz as well. I am unsure on its safety though.

5. Volkswagen Vento - We were not going to consider it due to its reliability issues anyway but we rented one for a weekend - unfortunately it was a manual and I could not check out the DSG. Comfort wise it is ok, but still not being considered.

6. Swift Dzire/Swift/Elite i20/Brezza - Tried them out as rentals, back seat comfort was not good enough. Surprisingly, Swift seemed to be the best of the lot (could be our Swift bias since we were using Swift for some time now)

7. Innova Crysta - Rented this for some relatives coming over. Loved the seat comfort. Not bad when going over bad roads, but not the best as well. Not being considered for our use.

Currently, we are mainly looking to see well maintained Corollas
dranzer is offline   Reply With Quote