Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2019, 12:59   #16
BHPian

Re: Used Automatic car under 5 lakhs, for safety & rear seat comfort

We were in the same boat as you, except we wanted a manual. We picked up a 2009 Honda City for a smudge under 3L, saving a significant amount of cash. It did have a few problems which were sorted out. In the two years of ownership we've spent under 25k (a 5k expense is expected in the coming weeks). It's a very good car, but honestly unless you're okay with sub-par NVH then look elsewhere. Don't get me wrong - it's far better than a hatchback, but it is not in the same league as the Corolla and Civic despite similar pricing in the used market.

While you might have to shell out a bit more cash, I reckon a Corolla/Civic would be a great option for you. Post-2012 Civics are quite dependable and comfortable and I found the backseat comfort to be very good too (better than the Altis personally). Driving dynamics are far superior, too. I'd personally steer clear of Hyundais because a lot of my friends have had terrible experiences with reliability and ASC.

If you're willing to put in a bit more cash then an Accord/Camry might work too. You'll find several well-maintained models for around 5L but it might cost more to maintain.
AnInternetUser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2019, 19:59   #17
BHPian

Fellow Gentlemen,
I am looking for an automatic for urban commute. I have come across an used 2008 civic 1.8 AT. The dealer quotes 3.5 lakhs. I love civics as most of us do. Given it passes our checklist, is it advisable to pick a 11 year old car with 97k kms on the odometer ?
Old 25th June 2019, 09:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shansundar View Post
Fellow Gentlemen,
I am looking for an automatic for urban commute. I have come across an used 2008 civic 1.8 AT. The dealer quotes 3.5 lakhs. I love civics as most of us do. Given it passes our checklist, is it advisable to pick a 11 year old car with 97k kms on the odometer ?
Overpriced buddy. Civics of this vintage go for 2.2 - 2.5 max. Please check other samples as well before buying.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2019, 12:18   #19

Hi everyone,

We saw and drove a few cars and here are our comments :
Toyota Corolla - We saw a couple of 2011 models, both of which had run 80k and with asking prices around 4.5L. Backseat comfort was good and gear shifting smooth. Rejected both due to cars being maintained poorly (both had AC cooling issues and more). Looking out for seeing more.

Honda Civic - My wife has been interested in a Civic for many years and so, we decided to see a few. Saw a 2010 Jan model and a 2012 model both run less than 60k (3.5L and 5L asking). Family liked the comfort of the rear seats but I was always a little wary of hitting the underside when going over speed breakers and potholes. Parked the Civic idea to see a few more Corollas. Also, Honda City was briefly considered but vetoed by the better half due to intuition.

3. Ford Ecosport - Saw a 2014 Titanium model with 80k on the odo for 6.25. Backseat comfort was fine but I felt the gear shifts were pronounced (probably since I had just driven a Corolla before). Since it was out of budget, not considered.

4. Maruti Ciaz - We rented cars for the weekend and drove a 2019 Ciaz for some days. Wife loves the back seat comfort and the drive is fine as well. We are thinking if we should consider older models of Ciaz as well. I am unsure on its safety though.

5. Volkswagen Vento - We were not going to consider it due to its reliability issues anyway but we rented one for a weekend - unfortunately it was a manual and I could not check out the DSG. Comfort wise it is ok, but still not being considered.

6. Swift Dzire/Swift/Elite i20/Brezza - Tried them out as rentals, back seat comfort was not good enough. Surprisingly, Swift seemed to be the best of the lot (could be our Swift bias since we were using Swift for some time now)

7. Innova Crysta - Rented this for some relatives coming over. Loved the seat comfort. Not bad when going over bad roads, but not the best as well. Not being considered for our use.

Currently, we are mainly looking to see well maintained Corollas
dranzer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 06:11   #20
MMV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dranzer View Post
Currently, we are mainly looking to see well maintained Corollas
Hi, have you finalized your vehicle. I am also looking for a vehicle in Mumbai with similar requirement and price range. Key factor being cost of ownership as we intend to keep the vehicle for at least 7years.

Preference is for Corolla, mainly due to above mentioned reasons. During my search, have come across the following options too (though outliers in search, but found interesting), request guidance from fellow members on the following.

1) Honda BRV, though slightly costly, its relatively new (2016) with CVT, 2 additional seats. I am not aware of long term issues (if any) with BRV considering the vehicle was not a success

2) Old (2005-2007) Petrol Innova, though MT it was offered very cheap. Is there a merit in refurbishing such cars considering the plan to hold it for long

3) Opinion on pre-owned Ford cars (fitting the budget) from cost of ownership perspective

4) General guidance on whether to look for old vehicle with less kms done or new vehicle (similar brand and price) with more running done.

Looking forward for views and inputs
MMV

Last edited by benbsb29 : 16th August 2019 at 06:55. Reason: Fixed improper post quote + edited long quote as post is just above.
Old 14th August 2019, 22:29   #21

So we have finally decided on a vehicle (took me a while to finalize). A 2011 Sep Toyota Corolla Altis VL CVT.

Thank you everyone for the comments and help! Much appreciated. Will start an ownership thread in some time and order some TBHP stickers in the meanwhile.
dranzer is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 06:09   #22
MMV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMV View Post
Hi, have you finalized your vehicle. I am also looking for a vehicle in Mumbai with similar requirement and price range. Key factor being cost of ownership as we intend to keep the vehicle for at least 7years.

Preference is for Corolla, mainly due to above mentioned reasons.
So finally , in fact rather soon from my previous post I also purchased Dec 2018 Corolla Altis VL AT.
I have penned down a quick summary on buying process and experience, will share a detailed update on car shortly.

The search started with dealers (used car) though I never came across a genuine guy selling a genuine car. And mostly the sales man was not enthusiastic or informed about the car making the test drive and discussions very boring. In fact I never even came close to making an offer, either the car had some issues or the pricing was inappropriate.

As the model (Corolla AT) was finalized earlier, my search was focused, occassionally I looked out for other options with the dealer, but nothing exciting came up.

I had checked most used car sites and esp the one (quick query to Mods: Is it fine if I name the portals , may be few, narrating my experience so that it may be useful for others, please guide) which has a bid option. Though I made few bids did not receive any call back as was written on the website, the call centre executive though told me (when I called up) that I will get a call soon.

Anyways in one of the portal I had come across a pre-worshipped Corolla Altis VL AT (approx 45k kms on odo) at a reasonable price, which was put on sale directly by the owner. Without missing any time, immediately called up for test drive and called him up later that day to close the deal. Just to confirm the deal, I paid token amount next day while getting the car service report from Toyota dealer , which came by evening of the same day.

The key aspect in buying a used car, especially if you know the car you want to buy is to look for direct owners who are selling. Once you find a good car (after TD) and a good owner (transparent) don't think one should look for more options and conclude the deal asap.

Nothing against the dealers, but I feel they just price the car very high, (business model similar to VCs as they run the risk of holding onto cars which don't get sold at all) polish and clean the car for asthetic appeal (we are buying cars not jewellery and each model has a USP which the buyer is looking for).

Will share a detailed report on car shortly.
MMV

Last edited by MMV : 3rd September 2019 at 06:12.
MMV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 16:56   #23
MMV
BHPian

Quote:
So finally , in fact rather soon from my previous post I also purchased Dec 2018 Corolla Altis VL AT.
Read the model as 2010 Corolla Altis, regret the typo, but she is a timeless beauty
Old 3rd May 2020, 17:41   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dranzer View Post
So we have finally decided on a vehicle (took me a while to finalize). A 2011 Sep Toyota Corolla Altis VL CVT.
Hello Dranzer, would love to know your buying and till date vehicle experience as I am also looking to buy a pre-owned vehicle with good rear space.

Quote:
The key aspect in buying a used car, especially if you know the car you want to buy is to look for direct owners who are selling. Once you find a good car (after TD) and a good owner (transparent) don't think one should look for more options and conclude the deal asap.

Nothing against the dealers, but I feel they just price the car very high
Thanks for information MMV. I am also looking at individual buyers but finding good examples is tough task.

Considering both of your vehicles are 9-10 years old, have you both came across any major parts replacement? And have you done any modifications?

Awaiting detailed review from both of you.

Dark_Rider
Old 4th May 2020, 12:27   #25
MMV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Rider View Post

Thanks for information MMV. I am also looking at individual buyers but finding good examples is tough task.

Considering both of your vehicles are 9-10 years old, have you both came across any major parts replacement? And have you done any modifications?

Awaiting detailed review from both of you.

Dark_Rider
I had taken my car to Toyota Service after riding it for a few 1000kms, this is to identify problems if any and prioritise the same. But before that all 4 tyres were changed to Michelin Primacy 4ST from a Michelin store, trust me it's worth it.

Regarding part replacement, I changed brake pads, all 4. Brake discs were above min recommend thickness and is slated for change during next service. Even shock absorbers were having niggles (gas leak) but is slated for change during next service, especially as new tyres have made the ride comfortable to a large extent.
There were no major replacements done, but Toyota guys were recommending a lot of cosmetic upgrade and body work which I didn't agree, as IMO it was not a priority work.

Best of luck for your hunt
MMV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 10:30   #26
BHPian

Hi Friends,

Currently looking to replace Punto Diesel with Petrol Automatic.

My requirements are below:
- Budget < 5Lakhs
- Good Service Network and Reliable
- Dual airbags + ABS
- Good Autobox response comparatively in City/Highway
- Usage - 60% City / 40% Highway drives

Options:
1) Grand i10 ASTA - Liked the overall Car
2) Brio Automatic - Liked the 5 speed autobox
3) Tiago AMT - Heard some throttle response issues
4) Ignis AMT - Perfect but heard about steering not coming back to centre

I see from OLX/Cars24/Other sites that the rates are > 5Lakhs for most of these for 2014/2015 models.
Old 26th May 2020, 11:19   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
Hi Friends,

Currently looking to replace Punto Diesel with Petrol Automatic.

Options:
1) Grand i10 ASTA - Liked the overall Car
2) Brio Automatic - Liked the 5 speed autobox
3) Tiago AMT - Heard some throttle response issues
4) Ignis AMT - Perfect but heard about steering not coming back to centre
I see quite a number of Honda Citys in that range, the Third Gen arrowshot ones. Aren't they that good?
Old 26th May 2020, 13:46   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
I see quite a number of Honda Citys in that range, the Third Gen arrowshot ones. Aren't they that good?

Looking specifically for Hatchbacks. Not a fan of rear boot.
But, yes Honda City Auto is good choice as well.
Old 26th May 2020, 14:50   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
Looking specifically for Hatchbacks. Not a fan of rear boot.
But, yes Honda City Auto is good choice as well.
Alright! I was too, but when you search in that price range for a proper TC automatic the only really fuel efficient ones that I found were the City, Brio and ofcourse the Amaze. Rest are not that fuel efficient.

And I wasn't a fan of the boot either but a couple of times I had those occasions when I had lots of luggage and the Hyundai Xcent amazingly gobbled that up.

So in your price range which I would also be buying soon, I've just Brio, MS DZire the ugly one with TC and no Airbags, Amaze and City shortlisted.
RavSam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 03:18   #30
BHPian

Apologies to ride on this thread, but i am in a similar situation currently and hope to get some advice here.

I live in UK, but my parents and brother are in Hyderabad and are mostly dependent on uber/ola. However due to the current COVID situation, have been avoiding cabs. And now considering getting a used problem free, low maintenance automatic within 5 lacs.

Based on advices here, shortlisted corolla altis and honda city. There are hardly any Corolla Altis on sale in Hyderabad, so leaves me with Honda city(2011 - 2014) automatic with around 50 - 100k km on odometer.

Since me or my family in hyderabad, would not be able to check out a car technically , we are looking at dealerships like cars24. Good thing is that inspection report is published, however all cars seem to have issues.

Most of them have warning against steering, suspension, and obviously has dents, repairs, repaints. These are age related issues but for those of you who have bought a similar example, would you know how much expense should i factor in for maybe replacements, that is if they can be replaced?

Tyres i believe would cost around 25k for 5. Any hint on suspension, steering related issues or any other big ticket costs?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by katpasin : 3rd August 2020 at 03:23.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks