Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2020, 06:45   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Used Automatic car under 5 lakhs, for safety & rear seat comfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by katpasin View Post
leaves me with Honda city(2011 - 2014) automatic with around 50 - 100k km on odometer.

We are looking at dealerships like cars24. Good thing is that inspection report is published, however all cars seem to have issues.

Most of them have warning against steering, suspension, and obviously has dents, repairs, repaints.
The good thing with cars24 is that they downgrade even a good car

Even the slightest imperfections are highlighted, making it look as if every example is bad.

My guidelines are as follows:

1. Look for a car that has done no more than 70k kms; a car with minor scratches is better than a super neat car. The front and rear bumpers would invariably have scratches.

An engine with no blowby is good.

2.Tyres on a 55-70k run car would have been replaced and the replaced tyres should have a residual life of another 25-40k kms.

If it is a car still on stock tyres with very little life left, you could factor in INR 25k for replacement of tyres

3. The suspension can easily be fixed for a ball park number of INR 50k with aftermarket parts(lower arms, tie rod ends, ball joints, stabiliser link rods, stabiliser bar bushes, front struts and rear shock absorbers).

Generally, all of them don't need immediate replacement so the expense would be much less.

So don't bother much of the report says hard steering. As long as the EPS light is not on, nothing to worry.

4. You have to mentally factor in 15-20k for an AC job even if this is not the case already - this is a devil that rears its head anytime.

Gone are the days of long lasting ACs. These days, an evaporator leak is common in 4-5 years and so is a weak AC compressor clutch coil and a worn compressor pulley bearing.

5. In an automatic, just look out for smooth gear shifts without jerks - easily noticeable on torque converters, DSGs and DCTs where you can feel gears shifts. In CVTs, look for a smooth transition.

5. At cars24, the typical negotiation margin is between 10 and 15%, and the good thing is you get to meet the owner to make a decent assessment on how the car would have been kept.
vigsom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 03:55   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
The good thing with cars24 is that they downgrade even a good car

Even the slightest imperfections are highlighted, making it look as if every example is bad.

My guidelines are as follows:

1. Look for a car that has done no more than 70k kms; a car with minor scratches is better than a super neat car. The front and rear bumpers would invariably have scratches.

An engine with no blowby is good.

2.Tyres on a 55-70k run car would have been replaced and the replaced tyres should have a residual life of another 25-40k kms.

If it is a car still on stock tyres with very little life left, you could factor in INR 25k for replacement of tyres

3. The suspension can easily be fixed for a ball park number of INR 50k with aftermarket parts(lower arms, tie rod ends, ball joints, stabiliser link rods, stabiliser bar bushes, front struts and rear shock absorbers).

Generally, all of them don't need immediate replacement so the expense would be much less.

So don't bother much of the report says hard steering. As long as the EPS light is not on, nothing to worry.

4. You have to mentally factor in 15-20k for an AC job even if this is not the case already - this is a devil that rears its head anytime.

Gone are the days of long lasting ACs. These days, an evaporator leak is common in 4-5 years and so is a weak AC compressor clutch coil and a worn compressor pulley bearing.

5. In an automatic, just look out for smooth gear shifts without jerks - easily noticeable on torque converters, DSGs and DCTs where you can feel gears shifts. In CVTs, look for a smooth transition.

5. At cars24, the typical negotiation margin is between 10 and 15%, and the good thing is you get to meet the owner to make a decent assessment on how the car would have been kept.
Thank you for the detailed advice, @vigsom.
Very much on the buck. You addressed all my concerns and more. Criteria you mentioned above seem very logical and would be my search criteria. Thanks for the estimates as well.

Fingers crossed and hope to get a good car now.

Cheers!
katpasin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 16:05   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Based on advices here, shortlisted corolla altis and honda city. There are hardly any Corolla Altis on sale in Hyderabad, so leaves me with Honda city(2011 - 2014) automatic with around 50 - 100k km on odometer.

Since me or my family in hyderabad, would not be able to check out a car technically , we are looking at dealerships like cars24. Good thing is that inspection report is published, however all cars seem to have issues.

Most of them have warning against steering, suspension, and obviously has dents, repairs, repaints. These are age related issues but for those of you who have bought a similar example, would you know how much expense should i factor in for maybe replacements, that is if they can be replaced?
I would recommend staying away from used car dealerships in Hyderabad. I am not sure how long you have spent outside the country but as you know, consumer protection is a joke here in India. Scams occur at new car dealerships themselves and there is nothing stopping used car dealers from over-charging or misrepresenting facts to you. You can go through several threads on the same in this forum itself. I'd recommend having the car checked out properly regardless of whether it is bought from a dealership or an individual. I have dropped you a PM incase you need any help I live in Hyderabad itself and would be more than happy to assist your family in finding the right car

Last edited by IshaanIan : 4th August 2020 at 16:08.
IshaanIan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 21:27   #34
BHPian

Quote:
I live in UK, but my parents and brother are in Hyderabad and are mostly dependent on uber/ola. However due to the current COVID situation, have been avoiding cabs. And now considering getting a used problem free, low maintenance automatic within 5 lacs.

Based on advices here, shortlisted corolla altis and honda city. There are hardly any Corolla Altis on sale in Hyderabad, so leaves me with Honda city(2011 - 2014) automatic with around 50 - 100k km on odometer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I would recommend staying away from used car dealerships in Hyderabad. I have dropped you a PM incase you need any help I live in Hyderabad itself and would be more than happy to assist your family in finding the right car

Hi, I'm also from Hyderabad, I know used car dealerships are sketchy here, why not try Team-BHP classifieds or official used car showrooms like Toyota U trust, Maruti True Value,etc. Cars here are generally well inspected, they often provide extended warranty of in house branded cars, new tyres and battery. Usually people who get their cars serviced from showrooms sell their cars here to get good resale value. These cars are also well maintained.

In my experience, with 3 Toyotas in our family (Qualis,Innova and Innova Crysta), Toyota sales and service people are very honest. I guess, same applies to U trust as well, they are a part of parent organization and wouldn't take any risk to spoil their image. My experience with Maruti True value was also good, we bought a Wagon R as a city beater car and the experience was too good, almost on par with a new car purchase experience. I can't say the same about Mahindra first choice, as my friend was promised a well maintained Thar, but they had rust all over the body and underbody. He walked away, extended his budget and bought a used old Fortuner. I would stay away from third party 2nd hand car dealers any day.

You can checkout some cars here: https://toyotautrust.in/used-cars/hyderabad#!

few good examples

https://toyotautrust.in/used-car/hyd...llaaltis/66015

Used Automatic car under 5 lakhs, for safety & rear seat comfort-corolla.jpg

https://toyotautrust.in/used-car/hyd...ta-camry/64274

Used Automatic car under 5 lakhs, for safety & rear seat comfort-camry.jpg

Last edited by WhiteSierra : 1st September 2020 at 21:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks