Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2007, 16:41   #16
BHPian

benbsb, Thil

I would be looking for a 2002 or 2003 model ikon flair.
Is it true that the maintennance costs of an ikon (both service and spares) are very high? And i don't suppose that I could buy extended warranty for a 5 year old car, right?
Old 7th February 2007, 17:18   #17
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

There is one white baleno in immaculate condition for sale at 3.5L nego .. Its done only 30k i guess ..
Old 7th February 2007, 20:14   #18
BHPian

Its Baleno vs Accent. Dont ever buy Ikon.

Baleno wins in terms of mileage, power and spaciousness but just check the condition of the car properly which you're buying. Feature wise Accent wins and will be definitely cheaper to maintain and runs ofcourse hassle free.
Old 8th February 2007, 13:11   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Its Baleno vs Accent. Dont ever buy Ikon.
I guess one neednt generalize as such towards a car. There ARE people who own Ikons and who go on the record saying that look after it, it will look after you. If it was such a disaster as people make it out to be, it wouldnt be as popular as it is now.

Quote:
benbsb, Thil

I would be looking for a 2002 or 2003 model ikon flair.
Is it true that the maintennance costs of an ikon (both service and spares) are very high? And i don't suppose that I could buy extended warranty for a 5 year old car, right?
Since my ikon is new, i do not wish to comment on the maintenance factor. Would rather have a long term owner elaborate. As far as spares are concerned, even Balano's spares dont come cheap. I believe extended warranty can be passed on from one owner to the next, but am not really sure if u can get one on a second hand car.

Expressed my views... without intending to offend anyone.
Old 8th February 2007, 14:02   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohantn View Post
The Accent has a DOHC engine vs. the SOHC on the Baleno. Some models of the accent also has ABS.
It's the VIVA model and the later GLS model that's got 1.6 L DOHC engine and ABS. The performance of the 1.6L pot is nothing great to write home about. A better deal will be the 1.5L SOHC engined regular models.
Old 8th February 2007, 14:33   #21
Senior - BHPian

My pick - Baleno

Ikon Flair
One characteristic I simply love about this Ford is it's handling. I've driven a 1.3 and though the engine is lethargic when called on to deliver instant performance the handling is super and makes driving the car so much fun. You can point the car precisely where you want it to go and it goes..period. The steering feedback is great.

downsides are a underpowered engine and if you are tall..fitting behind the steering wheel can be a problem with the steering kissing your thighs.

Baleno
A gem of an engine that begs to be modified.., good handling and nice ride. However a bit tinny on rough roads and a design that nothing to write home about. But the car is a very good drivers car if you do not mind taking it a bit easy on bad roads. The mileage is also very good. And with Maruti you don't need to worry about service, support or resale.

Accent
this is the car that i'm least experienced with. however I wouldn't vouch for the handling of Hyundai's. i think the Baleno and Ford have it covered in that segment. However the car is more plush and luxurious on the inside and has more space as well. The build quality is also better than the other two. on the short drive I had the engine felt good..I would put it below the Baleno and over the Ford.

My pick - the Baleno as a complete VFM and drivers package, if you can live with the sedate styling.

Regarding your question on DOHC vs SOHC..i don't think the DOHC setup in the Hyundai is anything that makes a great difference as both engine have the same number of valves..check out this link
SOHC vs DOHC Valvetrains.

drive on,
Shibu.
Old 15th February 2007, 13:02   #22
BHPian

Hi Mclaren,

What model is the baleno?
Could you give me the contact details of the seller? Do you personally know either the seller or the history of the car?

Sorry for the late reply. I became a father on 9th February (adorable baby girl), and was with my wife in the hospital.

Malludude,

Why do you say that the 1.5L SOHC would be a better deal than the 1.6L DOHC? Does the 1.5L give better Fuel Efficiency?

Shibujp,

What do you mean by tinny on bad roads? Will it develop rattles, etc (The M800 I drive does)? The area in which I live has quite a bit of bad roads.

Shibu,

Thanks for your link on SOHC vs. DOHC. It was very informative.
Old 15th February 2007, 13:49   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohantn
I became a father on 9th February (adorable baby girl), and was with my wife in the hospital.
Congrats on the new arrival.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohantn
What do you mean by tinny on bad roads? Will it develop rattles, etc (The M800 I drive does)? The area in which I live has quite a bit of bad roads.
I am not very sure, but I guess he might be referring to the lower kerb weight of the Baleno compared to say a Corsa or Petra or Optra. The lower weight might result in a kind of "being thrown around" feeling on bad roads. The pros of lower weight is ofcourse the extra FE compared to the heavyweights. However, with close to 1000kgs, it is definitely not tinny like the usual MUL cars. Also, it's suspension (ride comfort) is among the best in its class of cars.

Don't think it will develop rattles because my Baleno daily does the Old Mahab Road (which arguably is one of the worst in Chennai), yet I do not have any rattle.
Old 15th February 2007, 14:03   #24
BHPian

Supremebaleno,

How is the ground clearance of the baleno? I know it is 170 mm (same as the M800). But with 4 passengers in the M800 and 2 suitcases in the boot, the car has a tendency to scrape on speed breakers. With 2 passengers, this problem is not there. Do you face the same problem, or is it that only the M800 sags with a full load?
Old 15th February 2007, 15:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

Yes, with 5 adults inside, my Baleno scrapes on abnormally designed speedbreakers - not on normal ones. But then the NHC also scrapes on such speedbreakers. Ofcourse there are atleast 2 solutions to avoid the scrape in such situations.
Old 15th February 2007, 15:59   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohantn View Post
Sorry for the late reply. I became a father on 9th February (adorable baby girl), and was with my wife in the hospital.
Hey, i became a proud father of a baby boy exactly that same day 3 years ago. So cheers

Like i said before, if you are considering LPG conversion, get a baleno or an OHC.
Old 15th February 2007, 16:39   #27
BHPian

Supremebaleno,

One of the ways to avoid scraping speed breakers is to turn sideways. This is difficult in heavy traffic. Also I have noticed in M800 that you need to steer to the left rather than to the right to avoid scraping.

What is the other way to avoid it?
Old 15th February 2007, 16:55   #28
BHPian

Guys,

Any inputs on the Accent Viva?

The ABS feature and the fact that it is a notch-back (easier for city driving), seems to make it an attractive proposition.
Old 15th February 2007, 17:29   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
Hey, i became a proud father of a baby boy exactly that same day 3 years ago.
Hey e_l congrats man. This is what, baby season?
OK, Chennai tbhp-ians, at our next meet the beer (cheers is on esteem_lover.

Quote:
if you are considering LPG conversion, get a baleno or an OHC.
LPG conversion is being planned ? I missed that in the thread. If so, please spare the Baleno / OHC. Guys, why take a nice car with performance and screw it up for the sake of a few rupees ? Instead get a more FE small car.
Old 15th February 2007, 17:38   #30
BHPian

supremebaleno,

screw up the car :-o ?
Are you sure? My search on the Internet has indicated that there is no adverse effects on the car, 'coz of LPG conversion.

Also with LPG option I need not be too bothered about the fuel consumption figures of a bigger car (though it still matters).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks