Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

View Poll Results: Which D1 segment sedan would you choose?
Honda Civic 64 13.65%
Toyota Corolla Altis 34 7.25%
Skoda Octavia 332 70.79%
Hyundai Elantra 38 8.10%
Other (please specify in your post) 1 0.21%
Voters: 469. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2019, 11:12   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic vs Toyota Corolla vs Skoda Octavia vs Hyundai Elantra

I have chosen the Corolla, simply because
- it is the most reliable of the lot,
- has the most ground clearance
- manual transmission with a decent petrol engine
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 11:28   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
P.S. How I miss the VW Jetta, indisputably the best D1 sedan.
Interesting. As someone browsing the used car market looking at the D segment as a whole, I found the Jetta to be rather bland and dated in terms of performance figures and interiors. Same complaints with its sibling, the Vento. I do like the Jetta's mature and understated exteriors though.

Much like everyone else, am inclined towards the Octavia. But now, a statement from someone like you potentially changes things. Care to elaborate on why you think the Jetta deserves that crown?
aaychat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 11:35   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhyab View Post
As a firmly footed middle class person, realistically I will choose Honda Civic since simply cannot afford the tantrums and prices of servicing a Skoda
As a middle-aged person, and someone who owned both a Honda and Skoda, I would take Octavia as I simply don't want to play "what ifs" anymore .

Last edited by shobhit.shri : 24th July 2019 at 11:36.
shobhit.shri is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 11:52   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

It's a no brainer for me-Octavia it is. Classy looking, biggest, most powerful, Fun to drive car of the options here.
Of course service experience may not be good, but the machine more than makes up for it.

However, If budget is a constraint, Elantra will be a good second choice.
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 12:04   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

No brainer for me. In this group I would pick the 1.8 TSI Octavia with my eyes closed. If Skoda can bait me with a VRS, I'd bite that too. For the enthusiast the others just don't cut it. I think the VAG gang has come a long way in terms of reliability. The risk reward ratio is far better now. And with long warranty schemes on offer it's even better!
Old 24th July 2019, 12:19   #21
BHPian

Coming from a middle class family, I expect to extract maximum juice from my investments. Having made an investment once, the only thing I expect is returns and not re-investments. In automotive terms, for me reliability is of prime importance.

A machine that is high on reliability would ensure that the owner makes minimal expenses towards unplanned repairs and maintenance. Besides, I am not rich enough to spend in the vicinity of two million big ones, and then incur recurring expenses in greater thousands, all this just for ‘fun’. Being a family man, the security of my family during a journey is of prime importance. Getting stranded on a highway, and not getting enough support is the first thing that I oppose to tolerate. While on a journey, I enjoy the scenic beauty of nature, the country side delicacies, the landscapes and everything else, its about peaceful happiness but for insane bursts of speed and thrill. I wonder what ‘Fun’ one would get when the fear of an unexpected breakdown keeps haunting the mind at all time. I simply do not have ambitions for or simply cannot afford an expensive ‘fun’.

I understand I am a old school guy but Toyota being well known for reliability, wins my vote.
King_pin09 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 13:00   #22
BHPian

Objectively speaking the Octavia is the superior machine here when compared to the civic in its current drivetrain configuration. But I would say picking between civic or Octavia would depend on your circumstances.

If you are some one who is rolling in cash, has got bigger better cars already in the garage , or changes cars every 4-5 years, then go for Octavia. If however this is your first time dipping into 20 lakh and above club, and you d like a keeper for 10 years or so, think long and hard before going for the Octavia. There’s a good chance things will get messy and if it does you will be ripping your hairs out now and then, you will be having second thoughts, regrets and the relationship would be ruined.
Old 24th July 2019, 13:10   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Sedans section. Thanks for sharing!
The 1.8L TSI is of course a stonker, even the 2.0L TDI is the segment best. Will get that 6-year extended warranty package for reducing hassles.

This was exactly my decision on it also. Few months ago when we were on hunt for a sedan for our family. Octavia was on top of my list. But the variant which I was looking for was crossing the 24L OTR. Then we booked the top end variant of Verna.
Old 24th July 2019, 13:27   #24
BHPian

Voted for Hyundai Elantra,
Still driving a first generation Civic & 2013 Corolla Altis 1.8, both the cars are extremely different from each other and has it's own set of strength & flaws. If I'm shopping in the D1 Segment again, I wouldn't be buying both the machines again cause for me, technologically both the cars have not evolved much. The Civic & Corolla, still comes with the same engine options, the Ergonomic issue in Civic (Weird Sitting position leading to back pain) still persists and in terms of driving, I would anyday prefer my generation of the Civic. The Altis has definitely become a better car but its too expensive for what's on offer, moreover the poor interior design takes a lot out of the feel good factor. It just doesn't feel like you've paid more than 20 big ones for the same.

Now, comes Elantra & Octavia and we all know the both cannot be compared in terms of performance or handling but both the car has it's own strength. When it comes to Skoda & Hyundai, it's always a war between head & Heart and in this battle (Hyundai) head wins it for me. I would go in for the Elantra, I like the design & Interiors more of the same, Slick equipment list, Pretty decent engine options on offer, gets the job done well in the city, will help me save the maximum mullah thanks to the lower price than the entire segment along with additional offers thrown in, will also have a good re-sale when compared to the German. Also, it felt the best to drive when compared to both Civic & Corolla, Yes! Handling of Civic is slightly better but in no way a deal breaker or unexciting and definitely better than the Altis. Moreover, I'm not comfortable enough spending in close to 30 Lakhs (Octavia On-Road Bangalore) on a D Segment product when I got the other cars in the segment at almost half the price few years back! Around 22 - 23 Lakhs for the Elantra feels like a steal comparatively.

Moreover, with already one German in the garage, I would like to play it safe with my other vehicles going in for Koreans & Japs simply because they're much more easier to live with & maintain. My Civic is almost 11.5 Years old and still does it's job decently.

Last edited by YashD : 24th July 2019 at 13:47. Reason: Minor changes
YashD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 13:50   #25
BHPian

My vote goes to the Octavia. Though I haven't driven the Civic yet, the reviews don't paint a rosy picture for enthusiasts. Moreover, being the owner of a Jetta TDi, I can positively applaud the engine and driving dynamics of the Skoda over the rest of the competition. If Honda would have brought in the 1.5 Turbo petrol that is sold internationally, I would have voted differently. Pity that the Indian customer has to choose between peace of mind and performance even in 2019.
Old 24th July 2019, 13:54   #26
Senior - BHPian

Voted for other Simply because I don't find it worth spending so much money on it now with so many other choices available.

I personally think all these cars are overpriced for what they offer. If I am in market (It will be reality in next 2 years) with 20-25 Lacs to spend, I will definitely go for SUV like Jeep Compass, Tata Harrier, Kia Seltos etc. rather than to go for any of these sedan. Reasons being - High ground clearance, more space, easy Ingres/outgres, looks, road presence.
Old 24th July 2019, 14:21   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaychat View Post
Interesting. As someone browsing the used car market looking at the D segment as a whole, I found the Jetta to be rather bland and dated in terms of performance figures and interiors. Same complaints with its sibling, the Vento. I do like the Jetta's mature and understated exteriors though.

Much like everyone else, am inclined towards the Octavia. But now, a statement from someone like you potentially changes things. Care to elaborate on why you think the Jetta deserves that crown?
I can do that as an owner.

Own a Jetta 2.0 TDI Manual Comfortline and riddle me this one. How many times do you come across a car that:

- Is built like an absolute tank and looks timeless
- Handles as if it is on rails and has a lusty 2.0 Turbo diesel along with a multilink suspension
- Has acceptable reliability and service costs
- Good mod potential with international presence
- Is practical for both the self driven and chauffeur driven folks
- Offers 6 Airbags+ABS+ESP+EDL as standard

Find me a car which ticks all the above boxes except for probably the Laura and I will accept defeat

The Jetta is and always will be the ideal D-segment sedan for me. I am soon going to part ways with it as my dad can't afford to drive a manual now, but after 4.5 years and 65,000 Km, I will still go and blindly put my money on a Jetta DSG if I had 20+ Lakhs in my pocket today. I bought my car in 2014 for 18.3 lacs post discount, you can't even get a Honda Civic CVT base variant for that money today. That's what inflation is. Interior is very well put together, but yes it is boring or understated whichever way you look at it and I do agree it might be a deal breaker for some.

The Octavia TDI doesn't have a multilink suspension, the Corolla is boring to drive, the Civic doesn't have a diesel AT and makes do with a rubber band CVT and the Elantra can't match the driving dynamics of the Jetta. No offence to any owners but this is what it is.

The only credible option would be the Octavia 1.8 TSI DSG, but the dry clutch GB still has reliability issues as proved by two or three incidents on the forum itself.

Sorry for sounding like a fanboy, but that's how much I love the car. You only come to realise the value of something when it is about to be taken away from you and that's exactly what has happened with me.

Couldn't resist posting a pic here. Now remapped to 180 HP/400 NM.
Honda Civic vs Toyota Corolla vs Skoda Octavia vs Hyundai Elantra-img_3773.jpg

P.S Voted for the Octavia 1.8 TSI. The Style Plus is well priced when you consider the Civic and performance is something I don't think I need to shed light on. I would negotiate for maximum warranty cover if I were to book this car.

Last edited by vishy76 : 24th July 2019 at 14:24.
vishy76 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 15:36   #28
BHPian

I voted for the ELantra as the petrol auto is the best value for money product. The 2 litre petrol motor is rev friendly and mated to 6 speed torque converter serves great. The features on the car are sufficient what one needs today , backed up with Hyundai reliability.
Old 24th July 2019, 15:49   #29
BHPian

I would choose Octavia 1.8 TSI / 2.0 Diesel. It offers the best mix of performance and practicality.

Would've chosen a Honda Civic had they launched an engine with better power output. It feels overpriced, especially the diesel variant.
Old 24th July 2019, 16:54   #30
BHPian

I was in the process of buying a D1 sedan few months ago and had considered/test-driven all the choices you have mentioned. Since you have asked for D1 sedan, I have voted for the Octavia (specifically the superlative 1.8 TSI). My rankings would be as follows:
  1. Skoda Octavia - Way superior to others here
  2. Hyundai Elantra - Liked it better than Civic for interiors as well as drive, less money as well
  3. Honda Civic - Dislike the looks (see my post in timeless design thread for older Civic), disliked the drive
  4. Toyota Corolla - Too boring even to consider, did not test-drive it
But then I personally voted with my money on a D2 sedan VW Passat!

PS: I had test driven the Jetta a few years ago. If Jetta were available today, I would have voted for it both on this thread and also with my money (over the Passat) as it would be easier to live with it in a city

Last edited by pnredkar : 24th July 2019 at 16:58. Reason: Added a note about Jetta...

Most Viewed