Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2021, 16:36   #91
BHPian

Re: "Reliable" cars to consider under 12 lakh budget

When it comes to spare parts, I think Maruti parts are very inexpensive and readily available in all corners of the country including the remotest of the places. Although in my personal experience I have found reliability of Maruti, Hyundai and Tata at par (have not faced reliability issues in any of the cars that I have owned), there is a perception that Maruti is more reliable. As reliability and spare parts are the major factors for you, in my opinion you should start your search with Maruti.
Also, you being an Alto owner it will be less worrisome for you to buy another Maruti than to try uncharted waters, unless you are very adventurous.

Last edited by Dhruba_Nazira : 7th February 2021 at 16:38. Reason: Typo correction
Dhruba_Nazira is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 17:58   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landmaster18 View Post
Thank you sir! These are the kinds of opinions I like Ofcourse I will be buying the car but my father's stamp of approval is much needed. I want to give him a shortlist of say 2 -3 cars at the most before we finalize.

I heard a lot about Nexon's service & maintenance issues. How long were you having this car and do you face issues/ did you face issues in the past?
You are welcome.

I'm a sedate driver, once in a while, I do show my claws, to rogue drivers.

Anyway, I have the Nexon XMA D since July 2018, with nearly 14k on the odo. Before this I had a workhorse Wagon R, exchanged it for Nexon.

Been a Tata fanboy of sorts, I've a Nano XTA since 2016(commoners used to call my Nano an Activa car) I've practically nil issues with both my cars, just do the yearly oil and filter change, and change the air filter at least twice a year, it's cheap and effective on smooth running.

Have mastered the art of driving an AMT, whether it's the shopping mall ramps, or hill roads, never used the manual mode. I know there are owners on the forum who might not agree to my views, but at my age I do think of calling a spade a spade.

PS: whichever car you decide on, do take the EW, and Tata's AMC and or P2P, for peace of mind.

Hope this helps.

Regards to your parents.

Last edited by Vinod_nair : 7th February 2021 at 18:13.
Vinod_nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 18:12   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaviCar View Post
I use a S-Cross zeta AT. [*] 5 start NCAP
When did this happen?

As far as I know Indian S-Cross was never tested by GNCAP or any other agencies? Yes it does feel more solid compared to other Marutis but I don’t think its rated 5* officially yet.
SoumenD is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 19:20   #94
Senior - BHPian

Re: In search of a new car with a 8-12 lakh budget - What can replace a 3rd gen Honda City?

Quote:
I still have to research a bit more though about this and also to know if Jazz offers a diesel CVT.
Just realized now that the 1st link is this thread itself

Jazz is petrol only.
Just had a short spin in a 5yr/40000kms run Jazz CVT of a friend, its being used as a city runabout, carrying goods and people. It bears the battle scars for the same but I was surprised at how smooth it was, the engine, CVT, brakes, steering were flawless. Lots of dents and scratches but not even a rattle.
So, based on this experience itself I can say that you won't go wrong with the Jazz, if you prefer it.

No experience with the Amaze but I guess its a tad lower in terms of underpinnings but I might be wrong.

Since you are open to AMTs you have quite a few options (hope you have driven some AMTs before in traffic) :
  • Tiago/Tigor AMT (Petrol only): Recommending this after driving the Tiago(non-AMT) after the wagonR, its an upgrade. Unless you are looking to move up to a sedan/crossover take a TD of the Tiago as well, its surprisingly good for its price.
  • Nexon AMT (Petrol/Diesel): check if the suspension is to your liking, the price for the diesel AMT is steep.
  • Swift/DZire AMT/AGS (Petrol only): the fallback options IMHO.
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 21:03   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
When did this happen?

As far as I know Indian S-Cross was never tested by GNCAP or any other agencies? Yes it does feel more solid compared to other Marutis but I don’t think its rated 5* officially yet.
I assume there was not much difference in global and Indian build.( I think I read somewhere)
Some old ratings, None of GNCAP and of course the tests are much stricter now.

Aseancap 2014
http://aseancap.org/v2/?p=3602

EuroNcap for SX4 essentially S-Cross 2103
https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/suzuki/sx4/8891

Go mechanic link does not mention Year
https://gomechanic.in/blog/compact-s...ety%20features.

Please do correct me if i am mislead

Regards,
RaviCar
RaviCar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 22:07   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaviCar View Post
I assume there was not much difference in global and Indian build.( I think I read somewhere)...

Please do correct me if i am mislead

Regards,
RaviCar
The thing with Maruti is they don’t maintain the same global standard for Indian offerings proved time and again with Swift and likes.

Link : http://www.globalncap.org/wp-content...ember-2018.pdf

Sadly even Kia demonstrated the same with Seltos which scored a disappointing borderline 3* for Indian model while the same scored 5* for international model.

Hence unless it’s actually tested you can’t assume Maruti to maintain global standards. Still S-Cross feels solid never the less and I would expect it to score at least a 4*(if not 5) but its an assumption/expectation only.
SoumenD is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 08:19   #97
BHPian

Re: In search of a new car with a 8-12 lakh budget - What can replace a 3rd gen Honda City?

[quote=RaviCar;4995677]I use a S-Cross zeta AT. See if it suits you.
XL6 will perhaps offer better ingress but do yo need a six seater?

Thanks a lot. I am not looking at the XL-6 . It becomes too bulky to drive in our traffic and really have no need for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I would suggest stick to Japanese. And, lastly, if you car the one who racks up more miles even in city driving, then nothing beats Amaze diesel CVT, the only CVT car in India mated to a diesel engine. Convenience of super smooth CVT coupled with economy of diesel.

I really like the CVT for the ease it offers. Not looking at any of these performance oriented turbo diesels or etc. I honestly prefer a more unhurried and relaxed drive. Already the city traffic only compounds stress and I am looking at ways to minimize it. Thanks for the suggestion! Much appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Just realized now that the 1st link is this thread itself

Jazz is petrol only.
Just had a short spin in a 5yr/40000kms run Jazz CVT of a friend, its being used as a city runabout, carrying goods and people. It bears the battle scars for the same but I was surprised at how smooth it was, the engine, CVT, brakes, steering were flawless. Lots of dents and scratches but not even a rattle.
So, based on this experience itself I can say that you won't go wrong with the Jazz, if you prefer it.

I took a ride in the Jazz and the new City. Jazz checks all the boxes you mentioned. City's interiors are very good and the ride is also superb! But the price is a stretch. Waiting to take a ride in the Amaze CVT diesel now and also the S-Cross and Ciaz (someone outside the forum suggested Ciaz).

We have dropped Tata from the list now. It looks way too busy for my liking. Prefer something a bit more on the sedate side of things. Not looking at either the Baleno/ Glanza too.
landmaster18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 08:32   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I took a ride in the Jazz and the new City.

Waiting to take a ride in the Amaze CVT diesel now and also the S-Cross and Ciaz (someone outside the forum suggested Ciaz).
Also I forgot to mention earlier the Jazz's MID showed the FE as 13.9kmpl in city driving, higher than my wagonR

Didn't recommend the City since it was outside your budget.

I have not driven the Ciaz but have been a passenger, it is spacious but for some reason didn't seem very special either the ride or the general feel of it. I would pick the S-Cross over it any day.

Good options to choose from, Good Luck
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 17:28   #99
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking at "reliability" as a major factor before buying. The pandemic exposed some faultlines.

Question I have is: which car to choose from a "reliability" perspective? I am keen on having as much hassle free experience as possible. I am looking at the following considerations too:
  • Low spare parts cost and sourcing time
    Car with automatic transmission
    Senior citizen parents with knee trouble - need a little easier ingress/ egress. Father also drives occasionally & he now prefers we upgrade from our 06'Alto
    Decent fuel economy in urban conditions - doesn't necessarily have to be earth shatteringly good.

Thanks! Any advice in this direction will be much appreciated.
You can go for the EcoSport Petrol AT as it matches your requirements. Simple Torque Converter AT does a good job plus maintenance is comparable to that of any present day two wheeler. Also you get paddle shifters and a easy ingress/egress. Spares are also very cheap. If you're open to used cars, then you can get an EcoSport AT with Sync 3

If you have serious running per month, then you can also consider a Diesel Sonet AT or Seltos HTK+ Variant AT or Creta IVT(petrol) or Diesel AT. It's more expensive by a couple of lakhs though. Not sure about Hyundai-Kia maintenance costs though.

If you're a Fan of Sedans, then Honda City AT is also a good choice and quite reliable.
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 11:30   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! Any advice in this direction will be much appreciated.
I would have suggested Ciaz AT, but then read your parents are going to be the users. Ingress and egress are not the easier stuff with sedans.

If you are keen on spending 12 lakhs, I suggest Scross. Otherwise a nice Ignis AMT will be a perfect pick

1. Reliable and cheap + easily available spares

2. You can get the top spec under 8.5 lakhs OTR

3. Low weight + more economical 1.2 petrol motor

4. Easier to drive than the other options considered.

5. A tall boy design, and hence easier ingress and egress. Good all round road visibility too.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 12th June 2021 at 11:41.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 13:46   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Question I have is: which car to choose from a "reliability" perspective? I am keen on having as much hassle free experience as possible. I am looking at the following considerations too:
  • Low spare parts cost and sourcing time
    Car with automatic transmission
    Senior citizen parents with knee trouble - need a little easier ingress/ egress. Father also drives occasionally & he now prefers we upgrade from our 06'Alto
    Decent fuel economy in urban conditions - doesn't necessarily have to be earth shatteringly good.
Considering your requirements I will suggest the following cars-

1) Brezza AT/Urban Cruiser AT=Ecosport AT
2) Scross AT
3) Amaze CVT Diesel
4) Wrv AT petrol

1) Since the car will be majorly used in City and you have mileage as a prime requirement, I will put Brezza/Urban Cruiser above Ecosport. It's not like Ecosport AT mileage is terribly low, but I believe the Brezza/UC could deliver better.

2) S Cross AT would have been in the first position too, but I am not sure of the ingress egress in this. I believe Ecosport, followed by Brezza offer the best ingress egress in the above list.

3) Amaze CVT D is another great car, marred by the ingress egress factor for you. Do have a good test drive in it.

4) Wrv AT, the mileage would be in the similar range of Ecosport, and the ingress egress will be similar to S Cross. But I would keep this as a last option.

Would avoid the Korean twins due to the recently frequent ASS troubles and relatively fragile build quality.
Old 12th June 2021, 18:37   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
4) Wrv AT petrol
Just FYI, WRV isn't available in AT yet!

I Hope, Honda will plonk 1.5 iVTEC engine in WRV and introduce AT variant along with 1.5 iVTEC engine!
car_guy1998 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 20:11   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
Just FYI, WRV isn't available in AT yet!

I Hope, Honda will plonk 1.5 iVTEC engine in WRV and introduce AT variant along with 1.5 iVTEC engine!
Ohh. I took it for granted. Did not know lazy Honda could get this Lazy !
07CR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 10:59   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I would have suggested Ciaz AT, but then read your parents are going to be the users. Ingress and egress are not the easier stuff with sedans.

If you are keen on spending 12 lakhs, I suggest Scross. Otherwise a nice Ignis AMT will be a perfect pick

1. Reliable and cheap + easily available spares

2. You can get the top spec under 8.5 lakhs OTR

3. Low weight + more economical 1.2 petrol motor

4. Easier to drive than the other options considered.

5. A tall boy design, and hence easier ingress and egress. Good all round road visibility too.
thank you Prasanna. My dad bought the Ignis AMT. It is a neat little urban car for point A to B transportation. I have since moved to New Delhi. Still
trying to figure out which one to buy for myself.
Old 6th March 2022, 11:25   #105
BHPian

Thank you everyone. I have moved to New Delhi from Hyderabad. Looking at buying a small hatch (auto transmission - either torque converter or CVT based & not DSG) for my daily commute of about 10 kms to office.

After coming to Delhi, had initially zeroed in on Polo for the following reasons:

- Hatch design is good for city traffic. I need it purely to commute from office to home in start-stop South Delhi traffic.
- DSG has been replaced by a torque converter
- and because I had perceived VW cars to be built like tanks

Going through this thread https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5250969 (Skoda Kushaq Review) had given me some serious doubts, especially after VW announced that Polo's production will stop. I am highly concerned about availability of spares and service levels too subsequently. As a result, dropped Polo from my shortlist of cars.

My parents have bought the Ignis AMT back in Hyderabad. I had requested for advice on this earlier on the same thread - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedan...ml#post4995342 (In search of a new car with a 8-12 lakh budget - What can replace a 3rd gen Honda City?)

I had driven the AMT and even if I was a fan of it initially,the jerky shifts and ride is not something I am in favor of. It is okay for my dad who takes it out once in a while and does not travel on a daily basis and for not too long rides. So this rules out all the Tata cars too - since they have an AMT based transmission.

Now looking at a hatch only/ small SUV - something I can easily maneuver in city traffic and which can also give me peace of mind + be highly "reliable" in terms of spares and easy serviceability + low maintenance costs.

Require suggestions please. Thank you so much.

Last edited by landmaster18 : 6th March 2022 at 11:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks