Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2022, 23:39   #121
BHPian

Re: In search of a new car with a 8-12 lakh budget - What can replace a 3rd gen Honda City?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoConsultant View Post
You can check with the dealer if they are willing to swap 15” set with 16” at an added cost or you can get that done aftermarket. A lot of VX/ZX owners have also replaced their stock tyres with wider ones. This would add some cost to your overall budget but might still be cheaper than the Grand Vitara AT Zeta.

Please don’t go for i20 ivt top variant, it is just not worth the money imo.
Waiting for prices of the Grand Vitara to be revealed before taking the next step. Keeping fingers crossed that they may price it aggressively to get into the game.

Will check up with dealers about tyre and rim swap but may cost a pretty penny as rims are also involved.

If not the i20 then what other options are there? The Baleno Alpha AMT?

I don't want a DCT or a turbo engine,
SedateGuy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 00:39   #122
BHPian

Re: In search of a new car with a 8-12 lakh budget - What can replace a 3rd gen Honda City?

You cannot go wrong with the 5th Gen City VX MT! Since you’ve already driven the car, you would know that the clutch is light and the gearbox, nifty. Although a CVT is good to have in bumper to bumper traffic, the sheer exhilaration and tactility of a manual transmission is second to none! Honda’s 6 speed gearbox is very tractable and won’t be a hassle irrespective of the driving conditions. The connected car features also work well as intended with the Automatic getting an additional feature of remote start/stop. There’s wired Android Auto and Apple CarPlay but no inbuilt navigation in the OEM infotainment unit which is very strange since the 4th Gen City had a MapMyIndia based navigation app inbuilt. Suspension is supple and better than the 4th Gen City. Also, love the keyless entry and exit. The aircon is solid and works well even in the sweltering heat of Nagpur where temps touch 45 degrees on the regular in summers. Mileage is decent when driven conservatively but the car is up for some redlining if and when you are desirous. Headroom in the rear is a bit tight but ISOFIX mounts and 6 Airbags are a plus. Reversing camera is pretty shoddy and only rear parking sensors come as standard fitment, which is slightly annoying. 8 speakers mean the audio is decent but not exceptional. Rear seat legroom and comfort is plentiful. Would’ve appreciated a fast USB-C port or even Wireless Charging but that’s not meant to be. Rotary dials for the aircon controls are a welcome change from the full-touch panel of the 4th Gen. Spare Tyre is also a full-sized alloy so that’s something!
Actuator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 10:08   #123

Re: New Car Purchase Advice

Right now under 10 lac exshowroom the 4th gen city offers unmatched value...with all the necessory features as well. The only downside is the manual gear box. If you are okey with that there is nothing like this at this price point. The space,comfort and feel of driving that ivtec considering all these, its an incredible deal.
If you take the price to value factor, The 4th gen city vmt is not so differemt from the 5th gen v or vx mt( if you are okey with the looks).
Old 5th September 2022, 10:43   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuator View Post
Spare Tyre is also a full-sized alloy so that’s something!
I think it's not longer the case after the recent cost cutting measures. That, and the interior door handles which used to be chrome earlier are now plastic.
cule1899_bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 14:04   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cule1899_bhp View Post
I think it's not longer the case after the recent cost cutting measures. That, and the interior door handles which used to be chrome earlier are now plastic.
Yes, you are right. I was referring to the pre-cost cutting iteration where they didn't skimp out on such niceties. Even the 4th Gen City didn't have a spare alloy! Honda also redacted the auto-fold ORVM (upon locking and unlocking) feature from the V and VX trims in the 5th Gen City which is a bit preposterous. You can do it by pressing the button manually but it was intuitive earlier! Also, the exterior door handles were chrome in the 4th Get V trim whilst it is only the case in the top-end ZX trim in the 5th Gen City.
Old 5th September 2022, 15:12   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuator View Post
You can do it by pressing the button manually but it was intuitive earlier! Also, the exterior door handles were chrome in the 4th Get V trim whilst it is only the case in the top-end ZX trim in the 5th Gen City.
I agree with the auto-fold ORVMs, I expected that'd be the case until I realised it wasn't.
Every time I need to close them I have to start the engine which is irritating a bit as I'm uncomfortable cranking it just for that.
I personally am happy with the body coloured door handles as the chrome ones didn't look good on my car anyway. It goes well with the white and red City I guess. But yeah I get your point. Also maintaining the chrome trim is difficult and the front chrome strip goes through so much which doesn't help.
Old 5th September 2022, 17:20   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Just curious why you've ruled out the i20 n line DCT ? Also venue n line is also coming up.
I've ruled out primarily as I mentioned, I personally didn't like front looks and it is a DCT.
Old 5th September 2022, 19:10   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedateGuy View Post
Waiting for prices of the Grand Vitara to be revealed before taking the next step. Keeping fingers crossed that they may price it aggressively to get into the game.

Will check up with dealers about tyre and rim swap but may cost a pretty penny as rims are also involved
I am also in the same boat. I have already booked City V CVT but still waiting on Grand Vitara/ Toyota Hyryder
pricing. Also I asked my dealer about the tyre and rim swap but they said it is not possible.
Alto4lyf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 20:53   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alto4lyf View Post
I am also in the same boat. I have already booked City V CVT but still waiting on Grand Vitara/ Toyota Hyryder
pricing. Also I asked my dealer about the tyre and rim swap but they said it is not possible.
I have booked the Grand Vitara as there is a chance of a waiting period for it. The Honda City is available with minimum fuss and can be had anytime.

I will ask the dealers in Mumbai about the rims and tyres but I don't have much hopes of a positive outcome. The question is do we continue with the 15 inch wheels. I think best to take a call once the Grand Vitara prices are out rather than second guessing.
SedateGuy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 21:50   #130
BHPian

Wishing you good luck in getting the car that appeals to you most.

Just a note about badge engineering. Toyota sells the same badge engineered cars glanza and urban cruiser overseas too. And our own market itself is large and has immense potential in the future too.

I am sure Toyota is aware of it's brand equity and they have put their own brand equity behind these products So if you like Glanza just go for it. My 2 cents. I don't think you need to be apprehensive about badge engineered products
chandras1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 12:55   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Get the VX CVT, trust me after a few hours in traffic your left leg will thank you every day for years to come. Hondas are very reliable and chances are you’ll keep this for 10-12 years, don’t let 50-80k sway your decision and get the variant you want and I’d highly recommend the CVT over the manual. I doubt Honda is going to launch any new sedan anytime soon so no point waiting.
Thank you for making to foresee the future.
And I would need another suggestion, based on YouTube reviews I understood it’s Virtus a good one if automatic. What’s your opinion on this?
If I have to go with an automatic, should I still stick to City VX CVT or is Virtus Highline AT a better one?
SaiChaithanya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 13:31   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiChaithanya View Post
Thank you for making to foresee the future.
And I would need another suggestion, based on YouTube reviews I understood it’s Virtus a good one if automatic. What’s your opinion on this?
If I have to go with an automatic, should I still stick to City VX CVT or is Virtus Highline AT a better one?
Happy to help. Virtus is objectively superior to City in every respect, build and paint quality, power and even suspension setup. Trans is superior too (anything is compared to a CVT). But, City will be more trouble free to own over a long term ownership period as it’s mechanically simpler with no turbo that can fail. So go with Virtus if you don’t mind spending a little extra time and money in repairs/downtime over say a decade and you’ll drive a much better product, otherwise go with City. Better yet put the same money in a lightly used second gen Civic.
AJ56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 13:51   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alto4lyf View Post
I also have checked with dealership and they said it’s not possible to swap the rims however he said he’ll help in getting them sold to prospective customers if I upgrade to 16” from them.
Old 13th September 2022, 06:57   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Get the VX CVT, trust me after a few hours in traffic your left leg will thank you every day for years to come. Hondas are very reliable and chances are you’ll keep this for 10-12 years, don’t let 50-80k sway your decision and get the variant you want and I’d highly recommend the CVT over the manual. I doubt Honda is going to launch any new sedan anytime soon so no point waiting.
Even I agree. I was having a sore foot during the last 2 years of owning an i10 Manual(owned for 15 years) due to Bangalore traffic. And I used to take out the car just on the weekends for around 20 kms. Bought a used Jazz CVT even though it was in an acident and haven't regretted it since. Have only changed the idling and pre-tensioner belts, suspension and tyres (the previous owner didn't look after it properly) and nothing else. Looking to add in some car buffers to increase the height but that's it. The car is very smooth and I was also able to drive all the way from Bangalore to Kerala and back without handing it over to my friend to drive(approx 1200kms) I was never able to do these journeys with i10 manual. Now my brother also has taken a City CVT and he is also loving it. You can be assured that with CVT you will not be so tired after a drive and would suggest to go for it.
Cannonshot is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks