Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2007, 00:06   #1
Senior - BHPian

Total Conphushun

Good thing is we are upgrading from our truck (indica DLS) to a 3-box car.
Bad thing is we are totally confused.

We have a budget of 8 lakhs (on the road), can be streched another 50K for the sake of ABS and ICE. But not sure so as to take which car.
Looking to buy the car by first of week of march.

Here is brief history of our car,2003 indica DLS:

Odo-meter - 54,000km in 48 months, mainly driven in and around city may be 80% and the rest highway. On the highway used to travell around 80KMPH and once in a while hit 100kmph.
The After Sales Service was the worst. Miantanance costs were high.
The car was driven by me, my dad and couple of drivers each for 4 months.

our requirements:
  • A car which my father can drive with-out strain. My father felt driving the indica, even with a power steering is a stressfull thing. So the car should be high on comfort levels, as we are not going to hire a driver this time. My father should not get tired after a drive of 200km.
  • The car should be spacious (spoilt by indica) so ruled out esteem as my father is 5'10'' and I am 6'2''. Also the seating should not be low.
  • The car should be easy to drive in bumper to bumper traffic. Indica owners know how difficult it is drive in such situations.
  • Should be easy to maintain and low on Maintanance costs. (hence only looking for a Maruti or Hyundai or Honda or GM)
  • Good fuel economy. Need not be a performer. Not looking for mods as of now, though after two or three years, I shall mod it.
  • Not much on the look or feel of interiors or exteriors as long as it comfortable. For us its the function preceeds form.
  • Safety is an important issue. ABS is something I started to prefer after joining Team-BHP.
  • We will be owing this car for 5 years.
So far so good, now comes the difficult part of the selection process:
The list of cars:
Maruti baleno
Hyundai accent petrol
Hyundai accent crdi
Hyundai verna petrol
Hyundai verna crdi
Honda city ZX
Chevrolet Optra
Chevrolet Aveo

If we choose Verna CRDi then the question comes up is If I take Baleno/Accent petrol then just the difference amount can take care of the fuel cost for 3 or 4 years. But the baleno may not be as comfotable as the verna and it may be shortly phased out. Also the accent have already been discontinued.
And for a Honda city over a Verna CRDi, there is no price advantage. And the cost of fuel is higher for the city.
So we also consider Verna Petrol. But we are looking for a 5 year period, then which is better a Verna CRDi or Verna Petrol.
Now about Optra 1.6, Its a bit above our already streched budget.
Left with Aveo be it 1.4 or 1.6. The 1.4 is desired one, but i dont think, i get ABS with that. So 1.6 a better choice but does the aveo satisfy us on the comfort front as much as the City or verna.

Phew!!!!!.

HELP ME

P.S: Mods, please excuse, I could not follow the recommended pattern dues to the peculiarity of my case.

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 14th February 2007 at 00:17. Reason: PS to mods.
Old 14th February 2007, 00:18   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

What about the Fiesta TDCi ZXi ABS?
It is quite reliable, good fun to drive on the highways as well as the city, gives a good FE and the way the sales are going, should give a good resale value too after sometime.

From your list however, consider the Maruti Baleno or the Verna CRDi only, with preference going to the Baleno.

Cheers
Old 14th February 2007, 00:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

yup...wonder why he left ford out...the fiesta is far better than your list below except when it come to the zx..i would say go in for the zx if possible...or then the tdci...but that my just be out of budget...
Old 14th February 2007, 00:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
What about the Fiesta TDCi ZXi ABS?
It is quite reliable, good fun to drive on the highways as well as the city, gives a good FE and the way the sales are going, should give a good resale value too after sometime.

From your list however, consider the Maruti Baleno or the Verna CRDi only, with preference going to the Baleno.

Cheers
No No to a ford.
I was in the marketting with a ford dealer for few months. Their service really $ucks.
Baleno was also my natural choice (i am t-bhpian). But the things I am concerned is:
  • the comfort, it should be strain free for my father even after driving for around 200km or even in the traffic.
  • Also we will have this vehicle for 5 years atleast so availablity of spares is the issue we are looking at as baleno will be phased out shortly.
  • And also on the space front, is it on par with the space of indica. Also my dad prefers the seating postion to be high.
Old 14th February 2007, 00:54   #5
Team-BHP Support

In your list... I think Verna CRDi makes more sense...
Old 14th February 2007, 03:33   #6
BANNED

I completely : with your decision on saying NO to ford. A wise decision indeed. And I think you know why.

I think Verna CRDI suits you well from the given list. No! Verna petrol is not a worthy contender.
If you don't worry much of the resale value, then rush to grab a Baleno. As You're in love with the car already, It'll seduce you once you own it.

You can also consider a Corolla executive if you believe in redneck bargaining.

Don't consider Accent. It's done it's job. And the new Accent (which we know by the name of Verna) comes with a great diesel engine. Other than that, everything is mundane. Same as the old accent. Another problem with Hyundai (in my opinion and many will differ) cars is that they age very fast.
Old 14th February 2007, 05:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quite a dilemma you are faced with. So lets spell out your priorities and see what we can come up with:

1) Budget within 8 lakhs
2) Space as good as Indica, preferably better
3) Comfort- No low seating like Esteem, so for the same reason no Baleno
4) Keeping the car for 5 years, again rules Baleno out as its on the verge of become extinct
5) 200 km long drives, so preferably deisel economy
6) Lower NVH levels, prereably a petrol or CRDI deisel.
7) Comes with ABS as well

Answer the following question?

Do you need a boot?
If NO ---> Swift Diesel is your answer.

Reasons in favor of Swift:
1) New Design
2) Great Engine with mileage of 18 kms
3) Well within your budget
4) Has high seating position
5) More comfortable seats and spacious seats than Indica (lumber support)
6) Terrific a.s.s and resale value

If you need a boot than:

Indigo Lx DICOR or the Indigo Limo DICOR:

Reasons in favor of Indigo:

1) Diesel economy
2) Better seating than Indica and even more spacious
3) Seats are not low
4) The Dicor engine is very refined compared to Tdi engine, thus your dad can be assured a comfortable drive over long distances with great comfort
5) Comes with all bells and whistles including DVD player and leather seats
6) Since you are not too big on power and interiors, and favor functionality over form, the Indigo interiors wont dissapoint you
7) Well within your budget

No other options in the market stand out. All the cars you have mentioned have problems and are at a much higher price point. Just to highlight some negatives of all the cars you are considering:

Maruti Baleno:
1) Why would you want to buy a car thats on verge of extinction and keep it for 5 years? You will never get the new car feel. I know it since I bought the new Esteem and never felt anything new about it.
2) Low seating position. Not as much comfort for your dad in a long drive, specially the getting in and getting out of the car front
3) Decent FE, but again not diesel economy

Hyundai Accent Petrol:
1) This was not a recommended car in its prime days, now when its almost discontinued, buying this with your hard earned money is like shooting yourself in the foot... or like Sidhu says, jis daal pe baidhe ussi ko kaat diya

Hyundai Accent Crdi:
1) Again discontinued/ or soon to be
2) The noise level is not as refined as the current dicor diesels like Swift, or Fiesta

Hyundai Verna CRDI:
1) Ugly... the car is UGLY, a dream of an engine, but I cant stand the looks (a sentiment shared by folks in general, although looks can be subjective)
2) Expensive for what it offers
3) Comes with no bells and whistles, interiors are drab as compared to petrol

Hyundai Verna Petrol:
1) Diesel economy aint there

Honda City ZX:
1) Pricey for the H badge
2) Good all rounder, but nothing outstanding in any dept
3) Its an elongated car based on Jazz platform for developing countries, the engine specs are nothing to write home about, the suspension is hard...
4) Cost of running would be higher than a Diesel

Chevrolet Optra:
1) Somehow GM never really took off in India
2) Poor ***
3) FE and Diesel economy would be missing
4) Design has not been updated in many years now (due for change)

Chevrolet Aveo:
1) Probably the least popular or sold model between Ford Fiesta, and Hyundai Verna
2) Front seating not ideal for tall people like yourself
3) Again FE and *** are a concern

Hope this helps you in some way.

Last edited by aseem : 14th February 2007 at 05:41.
Old 14th February 2007, 09:42   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I think its best for you to choose from:

1. The Optra 1.6 : Big, comfortable, refined and a genuine all-rounder. Your running is only 16000 p.a. so diesel / petrol wont make a difference.

2. Verna CRDi : Reasons already outlined previously.

3. New Honda City : Not you, but your family will love it.
Old 14th February 2007, 10:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

thank you buddy, very nicely written.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
5) 200 km long drives, so preferably deisel economy
6) Lower NVH levels, prereably a petrol or CRDI deisel.
200km was with respect to comfort.
NVH??? whats that, we own a truck(indica) ! ! !
Quote:
Indigo Lx DICOR or the Indigo Limo DICOR
the car should be easy to maintain and low on Maintanance costs. (hence only looking for a Maruti or Hyundai or Honda or GM)
It means no to TATA, FIAT, FORD......

Quote:
No other options in the market stand out. All the cars you have mentioned have problems and are at a much higher price point.
Now thats a cause of big concern.

Quote:
Maruti Baleno, Hyundai Accent Petrol, Hyundai Accent Crdi,
Again discontinued/ or soon to be
The noise level is not as refined as the current dicor diesels like Swift, or Fiesta
no buddy the noice levels arent an important thing after we had a truck(indica dls) for 4 years. I am sure all the cars I have mentioned are miles ahead of indica, including accent crdi.

Quote:
Hyundai Verna CRDI:
Hyundai Verna Petrol:
1) Diesel economy aint there
As for the deisel economy is concerned, the dilema is should I go for a petrol car costing 6 lakhs or a diesel costing 8 lakhs, the deciding points between a petrol and a deisel would be " COMFORT and EASE OF DRIVING, A.$.$, SAFETY(ABS)"
I think baleno is out of contention keeping all the above points in mind.
Quote:
Chevrolet Optra:
Poor ***
Chevrolet Aveo:
Again FE and *** are a concern
Quote:
Hope this helps you in some way.
Thought that If Aveo could satisfy our requirements, we could have gone for it. But now poor on A.$.$. We better drop it.

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 14th February 2007 at 10:02.
Old 14th February 2007, 10:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

Based on your preference & budget, from your list, the options are NHC GXi & Verna CRDi (other are cars are old or due for replacement). NHC Gxi & Verna CRDi cost the same.

Your preferences:
1. drive with-out strain: NHC (EPS takes effort out of steering)
2. car should be spacious: NHC
3. easy to drive in bumper to bumper traffic: NHC (slick gear box)
4. easy to maintain: -even- (though Verna is new, benefit of doubt)
5. Good fuel economy: Verna CRDi (diesel vs petrol)
6. comfortable: NHC (driver seat adjust, spacious)
7. Safety (ABS): -even- (neither NHC nor Verna has it - though Hyundai website says ABS is optional for Verna i.e, 20K more)
8. own this car for 5 years: -even- (I am not sure after 5 years which will command higher price).

IMO. go for:
NHC: city driving, self-driven, sedate driving
Verna CRDi: if you do lot of highway driving, chauffeur-driven, ripping

Disadvantage of NHC: Low GC - with 5 persons on aboard, it will scrape those huge speed breakers. I don't know whether this is a problem with other cars. This is not an issue if only front seats are occupied.
Old 14th February 2007, 10:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

KK,

I would suggest the Toyota Corolla - bullet proof reliabilty , cheap to maintain and service , good FE , good space inside , great back seats and comfort , getting in and out is a breeze , added bonus is that its fast . And with discounts its available in your budget now.

The only negatives is the Road / tyre noise inside the cabin which I think can be curbed with better tyres to an extent and plain looks.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 14th February 2007 at 10:18.
Old 14th February 2007, 10:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hi KK,
I seriously doubt whether there is a ready made choice for you other than Baleno. I have seen a silvre one still lying with Varun motors. Go grab it. I think it should be comfortable than Hyundai cars.
Old 14th February 2007, 10:33   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Disadvantage of NHC: Low GC - with 5 persons on aboard, it will scrape those huge speed breakers. I don't know whether this is a problem with other cars. This is not an issue if only front seats are occupied.
I thought NHC was better. I used to own a 99 OHC, and that was the greatest discomfort , you have to hold your breath while going through each speed breakers ( In India, we make wonderful, technically perfect speed breakers too). People used to look at me like "What!" attitude while I take a cross on each big breakers , I mean one wheel at a time.
Old 14th February 2007, 10:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest the Verna CRDi, its got good power and decent comfor and the NHC ZX if space and comfort is your priority than performance.
Old 14th February 2007, 11:10   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
No No to a ford.
I was in the marketting with a ford dealer for few months. Their service really $ucks.
Baleno was also my natural choice (i am t-bhpian). But the things I am concerned is:
  • the comfort, it should be strain free for my father even after driving for around 200km or even in the traffic.
  • Also we will have this vehicle for 5 years atleast so availablity of spares is the issue we are looking at as baleno will be phased out shortly.
  • And also on the space front, is it on par with the space of indica. Also my dad prefers the seating postion to be high.

I recently drove my baleno for 500 KMS over one weekend- No fatigue or strain- the car is a delight to drive over long distances.

being a Maruti spares and service will not be an issue

The Baleno VXI comes with height adjustible seats- check it out. Overall the space is far greater than an accent and indigo, leave alone the indica.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks