Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2007, 17:21   #1
BHPian

Choosing a model - Diesel Vs Petrol ?

Hi guys,
After going through the reviews on verna CRDI from our forum and other external reviews, I have decided that verna CRDI is a good buy. But I am still confused with all those calculations mentioned based on which one should opt for diesel/petrol vehicles. Does this hold good even now considering that the present diesel s such as verna and fiesta are as good as any petrol car.

pls do clarify
Old 20th February 2007, 20:57   #2
BHPian

hello,
diesel cars are costlier in india than their petrol models.
hence, primarily, to cover that extra money spent, you need to travel extra, to earn some benefit in terms of more mileage per litre of fuel spent.

therefore, as a thumbrule, the diesel cars are suited for a person who travels about 60kms or more everyday. besides that, diesel cars do have some higher nvh as compared to their petrol models.

Last edited by revharder : 20th February 2007 at 21:00. Reason: added some 'commas' to make it easier to understand
Old 10th April 2008, 20:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

Diesel cars are good enough for you if you do upwards of 50 kms a day or are frequenting the highways too much.

If you do 10 - 20 kms a day there is just no point of keeping a diesel car.

Remember - Diesel Cars are more expensive, tougher to mantain, costs you more to keep than a petrol car. Resale also takes a beating.

The newer generation cars like Verna, Fiesta, Swift Diesels are very refined But opt for it only if you feel you are going to save on fuel. Petrol cars are almost mantainance free.

The verna does have a 110 hp rocket of an engine But the petrol is no slouch either. Its a damn good ride too.
Old 10th April 2008, 20:08   #4
Team-BHP Support

Kochar Bhai,

Whats happening ? Opening up old threads these days ? Jaago sir
Old 10th April 2008, 20:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

Try selling a Lancer Petrol and a Lancer Diesel of the same stock and you will know the resale value..

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post

Remember - Diesel Cars are more expensive, tougher to mantain, costs you more to keep than a petrol car. Resale also takes a beating.
Old 10th April 2008, 20:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Depends on how much the car is beng used daily. My feeling is that if it is beyond 50 kms/day, then it is better to opt for diesel engine. It will make a good sense buying diesel at this usage.

But why are we discussing this after a year of opening of this thread ?
Old 10th April 2008, 20:28   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post

I beg to differ !

Yes diesel are more expensive in some cases but they are no longer tougher to maintain in most cases too.

And in terms of resale i strongly disagree that it's harder to sell a diesel variant, especially with the modern diesels. Yes in the days of the diesel lancer, which was inferior to the petrol it was harder to sell but now tables have turned and in most cases the diesel engine is superior hence better resale.

Here are a few examples:
A diesel mercedes is much easier to sell than a petrol.
Innova diesel has a much higher resale value than petrol.
Old 11th April 2008, 02:45   #8
BANNED

Kochar bhai down the drain!
It was a mistake I think. Nay?

Well, I'd recommend a diesel car for daily drive and long drives. One souped up petrol car for that once in a while adrenaline rush!
Old 11th April 2008, 08:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Here are a few examples:
A diesel mercedes is much easier to sell than a petrol.
Innova diesel has a much higher resale value than petrol.
Sahil Bhai - I agree with you that a Merc Diesel is better to sell and so is an Innova.

@Speedzak - My Bad !!

@ Eddy - Strange - I did not see that date !! My bad again
Old 11th April 2008, 09:24   #10
BHPian

I did some rough excel calculation before booking Dzire Vdi. The breakeven is 1000 kms a month. If you are doing more than 1000 buy a diesel else petrol. The higher resale price is offset by the interest you pay on 1 lakh price difference at the time of purchase.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed