Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

View Poll Results: Which sub-4m sedan would you choose?
Hyundai Aura 35 16.59%
Maruti Dzire 23 10.90%
Honda Amaze 50 23.70%
Ford Aspire 66 31.28%
Tata Tigor 21 9.95%
Hyundai Xcent 1 0.47%
Other (Please specify in your post) 15 7.11%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2020, 10:06   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Aura vs the competition

Hyundai Aura vs the competition-hyundai-aura.png

Hyundai Aura

What you'll like:

• An all-rounder of a compact sedan. Very well-priced for what it offers
• Precise build & quality (including interiors) are easily the segment best
• Turbo-petrol engine is fantastic! The top choice for a Petrol MT compact sedan
• Economical & practical BS6 diesel available. With an AMT automatic too
• Balanced road manners & easy-to-drive nature
• Features such as cruise control, wireless phone charging, rear view monitor & more
• Dual airbags, ABS & ISOFIX child seat mounts are standard across all variants
• Hyundai's competent after-sales, fuss-free ownership experiences & customisable warranty

What you won't:

• Overdone styling - particularly at the rear - is polarising (it grew on us though)
• Narrow width makes it a 4-seater. Some competitors offer more spacious cabins
• 1.2L diesel has the lowest power & torque figures in the segment. Merely 74 BHP!
• Tasty 1.0L turbo-petrol doesn’t get the DCT Automatic seen in the Venue
• Low speed ride quality is firmer than what one expects in a Hyundai. Bad roads are felt
• Some misses (auto-dimming IRVM, thinner spare tyre, non-adjustable neck restraints)
• Ordinary stereo. Hyundai’s ICE hasn’t kept up with the times (sound quality = 6/10)
• 175 mm economy-oriented MRF tyres give up easily. An upgrade is mandatory

Review Link

Maruti Dzire

What you'll like:

• A great looking Dzire…and an all-rounder too
• Smart packaging! Spacious, stylish & practical cabin. Boot has grown to 378 litres
• Sweet petrol. AMT available for just 47k extra
• Suspension offers a compliant ride & neutral on-road behaviour
• Impressively equipped (LED headlamps + DRLs, reversing camera, Apple & Android touchscreen ICE…)
• Dual airbags, ABS & ISOFIX child seat mounts are standard across all variants
• Maruti's widespread service network, excellent after-sales support & fuss-free ownership experiences

What you won't:

• “Z” trims are pricey. The top-end & automatics cost a million bucks!
• AMT, although improved, can’t match conventional ATs on smoothness & speed. Still gets jerky
• You can buy proper ATs (e.g. torque-converter or DCT) for the same $$$ as the Dzire AMT
• 163 mm of ground clearance & small 37-liter fuel tank do raise concerns
• Some misses (auto-dimming IRVM, skinny 165 mm tyres on L & V variants, smaller spare tyre on the Z trims...)
• Waiting periods have already begun. They currently stretch up to 3 months

Review Link

Honda Amaze

What you'll like:

• An all-rounded compact sedan & one that's well-priced too
• Spacious, practical interiors. Ambience is far better than the outgoing car's cheap cabin
• Diesel + CVT combination is unbeatable! Indisputably the segment best
• Suspension offers comfortable ride quality with neutral on-road behaviour
• Features such as cruise control, paddle shifts (petrol AT), touchscreen ICE with Android & iOS, reversing camera…
• Dual airbags, ABS, rear parking sensors & ISOFIX are standard across the range
• 3-year unlimited km warranty, extendable to 5-years & unlimited km

What you won't:

• Tall rear passengers will find headroom to be insufficient & the fixed headrests useless
• Diesel's NVH, although improved, is far from class-leading. Not high-rpm friendly either
• Petrol CVT is fair within the city, but rather mediocre on the highway
• Automatics are unavailable in the top VX variant. Period
• Dzire offers more 'bling' & features (LED projector headlamps, auto-headlamps, flat-bottom steering, rear air-con, nicer ICE…)
• Look closely and you'll find a few faults in part quality, fit and finish (uncool for a Honda)
• The 175 mm tyres are too thin & the 35-liter fuel tank too small

Review Link

Ford Aspire

What you'll like:

• A very well-priced car, undercuts the competition
• Peppy 95 BHP 3-cylinder petrol is much improved over the earlier lethargic 1.2L
• Powerful & efficient 1.5L diesel. Excellent driveability too
• Mature ride quality. Also, improved handling thanks to the fatter 195 mm tyres
• Airbags and ABS + EBD across the range. Titanium+ variant gets 6 airbags, while the 1.5 AT has ESP
• Features such as that awesome touchscreen HU, auto headlamps & wipers, reversing camera etc.
• 5 year / 1 lakh km warranty with transparent + reasonable service costs

What you won't:

• 1.2L is good for a 3-cylinder engine, but the 4-cylinder 1.2s from Maruti, Hyundai & gang are superior
• Overall design (other than the handsome face) feels old & bland compared to the newer compact sedans
• Cabin width makes the Aspire suited to 4 adults, not 5
• 359-liter boot is among the smaller ones of the segment. Many others offer 400+ liter boots
• Automatic doesn't come in the top variant with 6 airbags
• Lighter build is a departure from the usual Ford sturdiness
• Some missing essentials (dead pedal, full-size spare tyre) & some deleted (leather seats, height-adjustable seatbelts)

Review Link

Tata Tigor

What you’ll like:

• Great styling. A chic-looking compact sedan. Solid build too
• Tata has put in a lot of effort on quality and it shows
• Well-priced for what it offers; undercuts all the direct competitors
• High quality, nicely designed cabin. Lots of storage and a segment best 419-litre boot
• Good driveability, a compliant ride & neutral road manners
• Amazing 8-speaker Harman entertainment system. Sounds top class!
• Feature list with 2 driving modes, parking sensors, cooled glovebox, touchscreen ICE etc.

What you won't:

• Mediocre 3-cylinder engine. It lags behind the competition in performance & refinement
• Concerns over long-term reliability, more so of the freshly developed engines
• 6-month service interval is too frequent! A 1 year interval is the segment norm
• A rare Tata car that cannot seat 5 (best for 4 adults)
• Tata's after-sales experience remains a gamble. Service quality is far from that of Maruti & Hyundai

Review Link

Hyundai Xcent

What you'll like:

• All-rounded package in a contemporary design
• Interiors have best-in-class fit, finish & quality. Accommodating 407 liter boot too
• Fuel-efficient, practical diesel & peppy petrol. Smooth gearbox
• Loaded with features (keyless start & go, reversing camera, rear air-con, cooled glovebox etc.)
• Comfortable ride quality and predictable handling
• Hyundai's fuss free ownership experience & excellent after-sales service

What you won't:

• Steering & dynamics aren't to an enthusiast's tastes
• Narrow width makes it more suited as a 4 seater, rather than 5
• Boot aside, the premium i20 is closely priced with more power, space, equipment & refinement
• Adjustable front neck restraints, seat-belt height adjustment, full MID, auto-locking doors & dead pedal missing

Review Link

Last edited by blackwasp : 27th May 2020 at 05:09.
blackwasp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 07:29   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai Aura vs the competition

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Sedans Section. Thanks for sharing!

Petrol = Aura. The 1.0 turbo flies on the open road! As an engine-focused guy, I believe what's under the hood makes or breaks the car and this motor is easily the best in the segment (by far). Sure helps that the car is otherwise competent too - best in class quality and improved road manners (mature suspension by Hyundai standards). Not without flaws; bad roads did bother me & the car, while Hyundai really needs to upgrade its ICE. That low-powered diesel also seems to have outdated power ratings.

Diesel = Amaze. When it comes to diesels, the Amaze Diesel CVT is my top choice. Honda's engine + AT combination is unbeatable in this sea of jerky AMTs. Will also enjoy the spacious cabin & comfy ride quality.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 07:40   #3
Team-BHP Support

Aura has clearly positioned itself at the top of the petrol MT competition. When a Tiago JTP owner starts drawing comparisons with a Hyundai - you start giving it proper attention. But the mediocre diesel powertrain and the AMT gearbox automatic option means that it does not dominate the segment fully.

IMHO - there are three clear cut winners in the compact sedan segment, for now. The only real confusion is for those looking at a petrol AT compact sedan, where it boils down to individual preferences.

Best petrol MT - Hyundai Aura 1.0 TGDi
Best diesel MT - Ford Aspire 1.5 TDCi
Best diesel AT - Honda Amaze 1.5 CVT

It is a real tight call between the Hyundai Aura turbo-petrol and the Ford Aspire turbo diesel. Both produce 100PS of peak power, have excellent torquey midrange and mature suspension setups. Both are excellent all-rounders, with the Hyundai offering a much more premium car feel on the inside with better space management and material quality.

But, there is no denying the value Ford brings to the table. At 8.34 lakhs ex-showroom Delhi, Ford’s turbo diesel is 20k cheaper than Hyundai’s turbo petrol variant (Hear that, Maruti? That's how you price a BS6 diesel!), has better 195 section rubber as against the 175 section tyres on the Hyundai, offers tested 3-star safety and the additional side and curtain airbags, has a more involving suspension and steering setup, will be much cheaper to run as well thanks to good real-world FE figures, and looks much better than the over-designed Hyundai.

Hence my vote goes to Figo Aspire 1.5 Diesel Titanium+ MT as the car I would buy from this segment.

Wild Card Entries -

If you just can't live with a compact sedan - and need an entry-level turbo-petrol, Volkswagen has got your back. Polo Highline+ with the 1.0 TSi comes in at 8.02 lakhs, and the C-sedan sized Rapid comes with the 1.0 TSi in its base rider variant at just 7.49 lakhs!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 27th May 2020 at 07:42.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 09:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I haven’t driven the petrol Aura and looking at the weird design I don’t know if I can get to it.

The Aspire and Amaze diesels are best In class. Aspire TDCi + MT and the Amaze I-Dtec + CVT are killer combos. CVTs never impressed me but the sheer practicality of the Diesel CVT in the Amaze was amazing. I have driven the Aspire on two different occasions and was driven around in one(dad’s office car). The new one definitely feels much better.
Old 27th May 2020, 09:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

Vote for others and my answer is NONE!

I somehow dont like any of the cars above, I would prefer having the hatchback version of these cars over cars. None of them look any good!
2000rpm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 09:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

The last two shortlisted cars would be MS Dzire and Honda Amaze. Dzire for its VFM proposition and Amaze as the best looking compact sedan with capable engine options.

Voted for Amaze.
Old 27th May 2020, 10:01   #7
BHPian

Voted for others. After Skoda launched Rapid 1.0 TSI Rider variant at 7.49 Lakhs yesterday, for me all these sub 4M sedans looked pointless.

It has almost all the features required and some of them can be upgraded like alloys and touch screen.

It is more VFM compared to these compact sedans. Of-course for the people who need a Diesel car Rapid is not the choice.
RaceHorse is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 12:40   #8
BHPian

seeing the inclination towards Ford Aspire, i guess Ford has to up their game in the aesthetics division. DRL's with LED or atleast projectors, better interior colors and better Alloy design will take the car a long way.
Old 27th May 2020, 13:31   #9
BHPian

Many of these cars have different capabilities and USPs and my purchase in this segment would be driven by need/use case.
  • A fun-to-drive turbo-petrol used relatively more on highways where midrange is of importance - A MT Hyundai Aura T-Gdi!
  • A fun-to-drive diesel with decent build quality relative to the competition - A Ford Aspire 1.5 Diesel.
  • An automatic, frugal city commuter for day-to-day B2B traffic - A Honda Amaze Diesel CVT.
  • Need peace of mind with hassle-free ownership with access to ubiquitous service centers due to my remote location - A Maruti Dzire Petrol MT.
  • An all-round automatic sub 4m sedan that can do a bit of everything comfortably and is also fun-to-drive - A Ford Aspire 1.5 Petrol Automatic with 6speed TC (If at all I can find one in a Ford dealership!)

So based on this, my vote is for the Aspire.

Last edited by Added_flavor : 27th May 2020 at 13:34.
Old 27th May 2020, 13:35   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
A Ford Aspire 1.5 Petrol Automatic
Not available in their BS6 lineup.

Else the 1.5 Dragon petrol + 6 speed torque converter combination would surely have been the best of the petrol AT choices.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 14:16   #11
Team-BHP Support

I will get the Amaze. I still believe that it is the top VFM choice of the segment. Interior space is pretty good, and the CVT is is very convenient.
Old 27th May 2020, 16:18   #12
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Petrol Manual- Aura 1.0 Turbo
Petrol Automatic- Dzire
Diesel Manual- Aspire
Diesel Automatic- Amaze

If I had to pick 1 car of the above, it would be a close call between the Aura 1.0 Turbo and the Aspire Diesel. While the Aspire will offer a stronger mid-range punch and better mileage, I would ultimately pick the Aura due to its fresher design, much better interiors, presence of many extra features etc.

If only there was something like an Ameo 1.0 TSi or even the now discontinued Ameo TDi, my vote would have gone to the Ameo.
AYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 16:22   #13
BHPian

Voting for ‘Other’.

My choice: Get a black diesel Aspire, give it a remap, throw in a set of fat rubber tyres and zoom away into the sunset. This since FTD (fun-to-drive) is high on my priority list as of now.

Otherwise it’s the Amaze for its all round practicality, despite the not-so-great looks. The Dzire would be a second choice in this department with its better looks. The rest of the competition, I wouldn’t be caught dead in (no offence to owners).

Last edited by TheHelix0202 : 27th May 2020 at 16:24.
Old 27th May 2020, 17:54   #14
BHPian

Voted for Honda Amaze. Space, practicality and superb engines make it a better choice in the Compact Sedan segments. Better paint shades will give it more eyes in the market.
Old 27th May 2020, 19:38   #15
BHPian

Voted for Aspire. The reson behind it is its lovely 1.5 Diesel as it offers great performance and is frugal too. Maintenance cost is the lowest among its rivals. The cabin has decent space and boot space is also good. Ground clearance is class leading too and the fact that it looks like a proper sedan.
But if I wanted to buy a petrol sedan then I would definitely spend my money on the Rapid Rider as it offers a good engine,good quality cabin and decent levels of equipment and at the end of the day it's one segment higher than the Sub 4 meter sedans.

Most Viewed