Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2020, 13:08   #31
BHPian

Re: Lateral upgrade from a '17 Maruti Baleno to a '14 Toyota Corolla?

Okay, so here are some of the points as per my opinion

1) Most of us do not seem to have taken into consideration who will drive this car. If it is your wife who does so, she may find it more difficult in handling a big sedan.
2) Like GTO said, buying the new car eats into savings. With Corona and the child in picture, do you have enough to carry on for an endless period?
3) A new car is always better than an old car ( you know this better than me, don't you?)
4) Remember, the Altis AT will consume more maintenance money than the Baleno. Are you ready for that? This includes a lower mileage as well.

Of course the safety and the comfort of an AT will always be in favor of the Corolla. And since you have already been paying a loan so far, it's not like you aren't used to it. Paying the aged relative would not be like paying a bank.. it would be more flexible. If you are still very keen on the Altis, pay off the remaining Rs 2.5 lakh in a few EMIs. However, my opinion is still to keep the Baleno since it has more advantages.
bosem123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 13:34   #32
MMV
BHPian

If your financial status permits putting in that extra 2.5 lac, go and grab the Corolla.
It's a steal (single owner, 2014, VL AT) at 4.75 lacs and not difficult to drive even it's a big car as compared to your Baleno.

I had previously bought a preworshipped Corolla (2010) and does not regret the decision at all.
MMV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 14:07   #33
BHPian

Hi Team-BHPians. This is my first post, so please excuse me if I had typed something wrong.
I own a pre-owned Altis (1.8GL Petrol 2009).
It is currently in its 11th year of ownership.

So, the maintenance of the Baleno will never be at par with the Altis. The Altis' maintenance costs will be slightly higher. If that doesn't out you off, you can get yourself a sleek vehicle which has good resale value. 4.75 is not a big amount for a 2014 Altis. The price I have mentioned is with respect to the automobile market in Kerala. Moreover, you will be able to lead an EMI free life. The Altis definitely has way more comfort and safety features. Selling off your Baleno won't be a good example of a lateral upgrade, but the purchase of the Altis will definitely be. Use the Altis for a couple of years more and you will have much lesser depreciation.

PS: It is definitely up to you to choose your vehicle. These words are just my two cents. I'm just a 16 year old, and not aware of other costs involved in keeping the Altis. Consult an experienced person and aknowledge their suggestions and you will never regret it.
Govardhansupra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 14:20   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingsilver View Post
I need your advice and perspective please.
My wife drives a Suzuki Baleno 1.2 Petrol Delta Variant (Manual) 2017 model. She bought this new in 2017, just before we got married. The car has run just about 30k kms to date, is in pristine shape and is very well maintained. Everything is stock and the car is sparingly used. Extended warranty is available till 07/2021.
Being a Toyota, reliability is unparalleled and even after being a 6 year old car, I don't think it is going to feel like one.

Also, there are the obvious advantages of better space and the convenience of an automatic. You'll also be able to get a good price even if you plan to resell the Corolla later on. But seeing the financial side of things, I suggest you shouldn't proceed with this transaction if it takes a big toll on your savings as the future is very uncertain right now.

Also with the baby on its way, you'll need all the financial backup you can get. I suggest you should try and work out some kind of an arrangement with your relative which makes it easier for you to pay the balance amount.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by ampere : 5th July 2020 at 16:42. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Alpha8118 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 14:30   #35
BHPian

Sounds like a great deal but one important thing to note is the really poor mileage of Corolla AT cars - 6 to 7 kms to a litre at best. I’m talking from personal experience. So if you have long distances to cover on a daily basis, that’s one thing you should think about.
manishk123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 14:34   #36
BHPian

Quote:

An aged relative of ours owns a Corolla Altis 1.8L AT VL Variant 2014 model (new shape, the highest trim) which he bought new as a retirement gift to himself in 2014. The car is in absolute pristine shape and done just about 30k kms.

1. Is 4.75 lakhs the right price for a single owner Corolla Altis 1.8L AT VL Variant 2014 model with 30k kms on the odo?
I am an ardent follower of Corolla. I have owned a 2015 GL for around a year and had to sell it due to a knee issue and henceforth moved to AT. So far in 10yrs and 7 cars, nothing has impressed me for comfort like the Altis.

Now about the price - It is definitely a wrong price. I am assuming you have full knowledge on this car, it is non accidental and no major parts changed. Depending on ones usage and where we park, there might be lot of wear and tear, paint fade, lining rubbers getting hard and interiors getting stinky and more. Since you said it is in pristine condition, either your uncle doesnt knw the market or he loves you so much. Below 8.5 lacs you wont get another VL 2014 model.

Dealers would tell lot of stories about model phase out and stuff, but then just go to a dealer and try to buy one yiu will know what the reality is. Corollas are hot cakes, esp low run ones. So high price doesnt matter, dealers know there are toyota takers, except of course the covid effect on economy.

I took Altis when I was going to my native on the birth of my second kid and it was a special moment for my wife to be surprised seeing the majestic Corolla. Mine was a showroom condition one which was 1.5yrs old back then having run just 4000kms and I took from Utrust. So i can understand ur emotions. Corolla is easy to drive and yours being CVT, I am sure your wife would also enjoy. So my suggestion is GO FOR IT. It is a stellar deal if the vehicle is good.

Two warnings for you though :-
1) Once a Corolla owner, the ghost always haunts you. It is very hard to enjoy another vehicle. I learned the hard way buying a XuV500 from Corolla :( In bike terms I felt the same after moving out to another bike from Karizma R. Some vehicles are special and Corolla is one of those.
2) AT, be it any AT will fetch low mileage in city. Xuv AT used to fetch 6kmpl in Blr traffic, Duster AMT 9, Alto AMT 14 and XL6 AT 9 - all of these I have owned recently in last 2yrs.

Lastly, if you are not taking it, plz PM me, I wish to have a look

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 5th July 2020 at 14:45.
sam_sant2005 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 14:57   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari View Post
I had driven a 2015 Corolla Altis - hardly 1000 KM on the odo - on rental (Hertz) in US for a week. Totally lifeless and I hated it.
There are chances that the one you had driven was 1.4L or 1.6L version. Yes Corolla comes in 1.4, 1.6 and 1.8L petrol. Moreover corolla or even the Honda City doesn't feel good to drive abroad from my personal experience. Main culprit I would say is the CVT.
kamilharis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 15:38   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

An aged relative of ours owns a Corolla Altis 1.8L AT VL Variant 2014 model (new shape, the highest trim) which he bought new as a retirement gift to himself in 2014. The car is in absolute pristine shape and done just about 30k kms. With his age, he finds that he is unable to use the car as much he hoped for and he is asking us if we would be interested in the car, for a price of Rs 4.75 lakh. There is no loan on the car.

Please help!
Hi,

Am not getting into the financial aspects of this transaction but purely on the Car - 2014 Altis 1.8 VL.

I own a pre-owned 1.8 VL of 2011, which I bought it in 100000 KM in ODO as the second owner. Till Date I have no regrets for the past 18 months.
2014 model is the Face-lifted version of the 10th generation Altis which is also refered as a Altis E150. This particular model has a 6 speed TC Autobox whereas my model as a 4 speed TC Autobox.

With respect to fuel economy, in city driving I get anywhere between 8.7-9.5 kmpl with a heavy foot and a highway FE of 14.5-15.5 kmpl depends on my style of driving. The model you are considering has two more cogs in the TC Autobox, your FE in city should be atleast 9.5-10 KMPL and in highways a minimum of 15 kmpl. The TC box is a gem of an autobox and literally trouble free in my ownership.
On maintenance it really doesn't pinch your pocket. The maintenance cycle is 10000 kms or 1 year and if its just oil change and filter change, the cost is around only Rs.6000.

I suggest you to check the Brake rotors / brake pads and suspension at ASC (Lanson / Harsha) in Chennai. The only issue with this is the brake pad which needs replacement every 18-20000 kms, which is a common issue among all automatics.

On the price front, Rs.4.75 Lakhs is nothing but a steal in the Chennai market.
vasanthjn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 15:43   #39
BHPian

You might also want to check why the Toyota is going so cheap. If it had a running history you aren't aware of. Its hard to believe one would not look up what his or her car is worth before coming up with a selling price on it. Another point to check is if your car loan is coming with if it comes with benefits like EMI moratorium or like in challenging times like this. I suggest to let this pass as another addition into your wishlist!
gopa99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 15:46   #40
BHPian

Hello,

Two years ago I was in a similar dilemma to what you are at present. I wanted to buy my first car and was confused on whether to buy a new Etios or to buy a used Corolla Altis (D4D G 2011 model, Pearl White colour). I was a fan of the legendary Toyota reliability and wanted my first car to be a Toyota.

At that time I went for the Altis, and right now I am wondering wondering if I chose wrong. Don't get me wrong, the car is an absolute pleasure to drive. I have made multiple trips to Rajasthan from Maharashtra in the car and when I step out at the end of the journey I am almost as rested as I was before I started the ride. The car is extremely well behaved on the highways. You need to keep a constant watch on the speedometer on the highways, as there is no other way you will realise how fast you are going. The Cabin noise is extremely low. The car's cabin has a way of ensconcing you in such a way that you almost forget you are in a car.

And of course, as a few colleagues mentioned here, there is the D Segment salaam associated with the car, which is a prestige point. However, if you buy the car, you also need to be repaired for the cost of maintaining the car, which is significant in my opinion. The parts for the car are extremely expensive (which is something I had to find out the hard way).

I am not sure what the parts of your Baleno cost, but you will need to pay significantly more for this car. The Brake pads cost Rs. 8500 for one paid, the HID bulbs are Rs. 13800.00 each, the front suspension will cost around Rs. 40000.00 (lower arm, struts, tie rods, etc) and the headlight washers cost Rs. 12500 each. The headlights themselves cost Rs. 75000.00 each(don't ask how I know about this). These are only the small ticket items. If some of the bigger items fail, the AC for example, then you will need to pay a lot more (again, don't ask ).

This is a 7 years old car, same as mine when I bought it, and it seems to be in good condition, again same as mine, however, the parts on this car will fail, just like any other car and when they do fail, its going to cost a tonne to replace them.

Considering the fact that you have a baby on the way, I think it might make more sense to hold on to your Baleno, as the parts for the same are likely to be much cheaper and hence you wont be getting any rude shocks at the dealership.

However, I must add that if the cost is not an issue, this is a much more comfortable car than the Baleno, not to mention it is a lot safer too. Plus, the Toyota service experience is extremely good. THough this is my first car, I have driven several cars through the years (Maruti Wagon R, Honda BRV, Mahindra Commander 620 DI, Maruti Baleno Sedan, Skoda Rapid, Maruti Swift, Maruti Ertiga, Hyundai Accent, etc), but this is simply the best car I have ever driven. If I had to choose again, then I would probably choose the Altis again, even after my experience.

I am attaching a picture of my car, which is quite similar to yours. SO do keep these points in mind before you make your decision.

Regards,
Attached Thumbnails
Lateral upgrade from a '17 Maruti Baleno to a '14 Toyota Corolla?-whatsapp-image-20200705-15.14.42.jpeg  

pareekvirendra is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 15:53   #41
BHPian

I would have done the deal. It’s pros will outweigh cons when you think about keeping the car long term.

Also this way, you can wait for a while to get the BMW and see how your mother receives this car. I suppose Altis would be much more premium than i20, Baleno and The old Innova.

Use this as a stop gap premium car and once you find the perfect german you are looking for, Altis can take the backseat. It will outlive Baleno for sure.
turbowhistle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 16:22   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
Not sure why your relative wants to sell this car. Please do check for any issues. You can get it thoroughly checked from Toyota dealer.

Alternatively, if you are in good terms with this relative, you can advise him not to sell his car for so less. Only saying this because he is aged/retired and would be loosing quite a lot on the deal. I will leave it to you
Thanks daredevil. I have actually asked my relative to please reconsider the offer price and Iam getting conflicting prices myself. I have asked him to do his homework and whatever price he finally quotes, I will take the car if it is within my affordability.

Relative or not, with due respect to his age, I definitely do not want him to unknowingly lose money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBalaM View Post
Its a question between necessity or luxury. As far as necessity, you have already met ( your baleno ) and I assume you are quiet happy with it. The corolla, yup it offers better than baleno but I would call it a luxury.
Thanks for the wise words Bala! Definitely something to ponder over. Thank you again

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
Now about the price - It is definitely a wrong price. I am assuming you have full knowledge on this car, it is non accidental and no major parts changed. Depending on ones usage and where we park, there might be lot of wear and tear, paint fade, lining rubbers getting hard and interiors getting stinky and more. Since you said it is in pristine condition, either your uncle doesnt knw the market or he loves you so much. Below 8.5 lacs you wont get another VL 2014 model.

Dealers would tell lot of stories about model phase out and stuff, but then just go to a dealer and try to buy one yiu will know what the reality is. Corollas are hot cakes, esp low run ones. So high price doesnt matter, dealers know there are toyota takers, except of course the covid effect on economy.

Lastly, if you are not taking it, plz PM me, I wish to have a look
Hi Sam, Thanks for your reply. In my thread post, the topmost question was "Is 4.75 lakhs the right price for the given model year car", and everyone's answer was it was a steal. Like many members here, I too wondered if something was wrong with the used car market or if my relative had not done his due diligence.

Realized it was neither.

Iam not sure what changed between Jan 2020, to July 2020, but prices of Altis is definitely NOT in the 8 Lakhs bracket anymore. Iam not able to say if 4.75 lakhs is the right price, but I can confidently state that it is not 8+ lakhs as many members suggest for the 2014 model. With dealers atleast, 2014 models are in the 4.00-5.25 lakhs range and 6.50+ lakhs for the 2017 facelift Altis in Chennai.

I spoke to a friend in Bangalore who recently sold a similar Corolla Altis (Not the same variant and was a manual), It had done about 60k kms and it was a 2015 model. Apparently he sold it to a direct buyer for Rs 5 lakhs in April this year. When asked how he arrived at this price, once he posted the ad in his office group, He had offers from his colleagues in this price band, and a dealer (commission basis-freelancer) offered him 4.50 Lakhs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareekvirendra View Post
I am not sure what the parts of your Baleno cost, but you will need to pay significantly more for this car. The Brake pads cost Rs. 8500 for one paid, the HID bulbs are Rs. 13800.00 each, the front suspension will cost around Rs. 40000.00 (lower arm, struts, tie rods, etc) and the headlight washers cost Rs. 12500 each. The headlights themselves cost Rs. 75000.00 each(don't ask how I know about this). These are only the small ticket items. If some of the bigger items fail, the AC for example, then you will need to pay a lot more (again, don't ask ).

This is a 7 years old car, same as mine when I bought it, and it seems to be in good condition, again same as mine, however, the parts on this car will fail, just like any other car and when they do fail, its going to cost a tonne to replace them.
Hi Pareekvirendra, thanks for the heads-up on the parts pricing! Would like to know a little more details from you, would greatly help in my decision:

1. Did you have the car checked out with Toyota ASS / independent mechanic before your purchase?

2. Out of all the items you mentioned, only the brake pads and front suspension parts come under "wear and tear".All other items are prone to failure after X hours/ years etc. Did anyone highlight the condition of these items prior to your purchase, or did they just "'give away" during your ownership and usage?

3. Would love to know the stories behind the AC repair and headlights replacement

4. Your post reminds me of what GTO said at the beginning of this thread. Despite low kms on the odo, since its a 7 year car, are major repairs a given fact i need to be prepared for?

5. Your car looks well taken care of. All i see a well maintained car! Good going. Are you still owning it?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 5th July 2020 at 17:40. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote functionality (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts at once. Thanks!
sterlingsilver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 17:25   #43
Senior - BHPian

Having owned a pre-owned 2010 Corolla in the past in the same city. Before taking a plunge I would check for the history of the car. Especially if its regularly serviced. Here are some points:

Positives

- If your regular usage is low, you may not see much financial strain owning a Corolla.
- Regular maintenance is low.
- Its a very comfortable rider, both in city and highways.
- Extra dimensions aren't a big deal.

Negatives:
- Part replacements are bloody expensive. For example: The LED headlight assembly is a cool 60K INR apiece IIRC.
- Service experience in Lanson is poor. Worst among Kun Hyundai, Nexa service experience I've had.
- Depending on how you drive you can expect anywhere between 7 and 10 kpl in city and 12 to 15 in highways. This would obviously drink more than your current Baleno.
- GC isn't that great. On full load, expect to scrape some tall speed breakers.

Last edited by narayans80 : 5th July 2020 at 17:27.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 17:35   #44
BHPian

I was caught off guard with the sudden deluge of reply posts to my thread!! I was breaking my head on what prompted so many members to post so many replies in such short time.

Just saw that the thread has been moved to the homepage. Thank you Mods!!

Note to Mods: Could you please change the display pic of the thread on homepage to a 2014 Corolla altis rather than the 2011 model shown here? Thank you. This would reflect the correct model this thread represents.
Old 5th July 2020, 17:38   #45
BHPian

Hello sterlingsilver,

The first thing I checked is, where are you from. If you are from Hyderabad, I would have asked for your relative uncle's contact . Okay, here are my inputs on this situation.

The outstanding principal on existing loan: 3.25L
The price you get from Baleno: 5.50L
The price you pay to Corolla: 4.75L

Options:
To clear the existing loan Today and drive the Baleno: 3.25L
To clear the existing loan Today and drive the Corolla: 2.50L
To NOT clear the loan, and drive the Baleno, pay EMI: 0

Corolla = No loan + big car + automatic + Toyota - 2.50L Today + Extra brownie points if your wife wants to drive an Automatic
Baleno = Life as usual + Have 2.5L in savings for other purposes + pay EMI

On your 3.25L and for the remaining tenure, you may end up paying 50 to 60K as interest (provided you don't do any part payments).

If you think spending 2.50L Today will NOT put you in any kind of financial trouble, go ahead with the plan. If you are in at least 1% doubt, Drop!.

Keep aside at least 2.50L to 3L (if not already!) for the Baby for the initial year. I was in this situation in 2017, my daughter was born and converted me to a responsible Dad. I used to spend a lot (a lott!) before, but I changed my habit for good after the baby's arrival. Newborn at home will put so many things backstage, even your interest in cars. You will get no time.

All the best!

-Shouri
vijayshouree is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks