Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2007, 17:05   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey,
I would suggest you go in for a Fiesta 1.4.
As you owned an Accent previously, i am assuming yu are looking for a car with similar or better fuel efficiency and the Fiesta definitely has better FE than the Accent. Even the Aveo though i am not too sure about the Verna as i haven't heard a lot about it.

Fiesta -
Has good interiors though they look a little bland.
Since we own a fiesta, albeit a TDCi, i asked my driver and here's what he said -
- the car is amazingly stable (this is what i felt too whenever i sit in it)
- Really easy to manuovre
- Amazing to drive.
- refering to statements made about bad ***. I went to the Shaman Ford Showroom, despite having a bad experience from them years ago. We had bought our fiesta from them a little over a year ago and when i went with my friend, the sales person immediately recognized me. This was quite a surprise. Also, the sales staff were quite friendly but they were always sitting on their desks and you had to go approach them for help. Not good.

Verna -
- IMHO, the interiors looked cheap and tacky
- Quite comfortable to sit in but the driver's seat felt a bit wierd in comparison to the Fiesta
- If reports to be believed, the suspension is not one of the best.

Aveo
- Amazing Interiors
however, the sales staff did not seem very interested.

I would suggest you get the Fiesta 1.4.
It would be even better if you went and took a test drive of all the vehicles and read their long term reviews either here or elsewhere.
Old 25th March 2007, 05:43   #17
BHPian

If u r looking for FE...Verna is the one.
25K every day, you will enjoy driving this beast. For A.S.S, anyday its Hyundai.

All 3 are good cars while little differences with Fiesta being the expensive of the lot to maintain.
Test drive all 3 cars and take a call.
Old 25th March 2007, 19:49   #18
BHPian

I own a Fiesta 1.6.
I did test drive the 1.4 also and it is really good. The 1.6 feels great to drive though.
The Fiesta 1.4 feels better that the Aveo 1.4 to drive (The gearshift the comfort) - especially in the city.
The Aveo looks really good. It beats fiesta in looks.
I havent tried the verna.
Regarding Ford Service - The Service in Chennai seems to be good. Havent faced any issues so far.
Old 26th March 2007, 08:32   #19
BHPian

Hey Dude,
If you are confused between Fiesta and Aveo, Read on......(Verna ..no clue...no test drives yet..)

The overall package of AVEO is good. For the price that is offerred (6.9 lacs on road).
And for this month of March there are heavy discounts for corporates. If you are looking for a cracking deal.....its got to be this month.
I took a test drive of all the cars that were available in the showroom for a test drive (Both Red and Orange) cars have a notchy gearbox. It would be impossible for you to enjoy the ride.
But the production cars have a gearbox, which GM claims to have sorted it out.
One of my friends who own an AVEO, feels that the gear shifting is good now. He is extremely happy with the AVEO.
The running and maintenance cost is low.
If you are not single and would like to entertain your better half, I am sure she would enjoy the interiors of the AVEO. It is thoughtfully made for the driver and for the person sitting next to you.
The LS variant comes with a music system, which I felt was good.
The leg room at the rear seats are very comfortable and you would find yourself with plenty of boot space.

Ford Fiesta 1.4
----------------
An awesome car to drive. If you are looking for a drivers car..Dont contemplate between the two. Although they fall in the same segement. The fun of driving a fiesta is way better than an AVEO.
But you should have a strong mind to tolerate the poor interiors and features that the car would offer. FOr every feature that you would aspire, Ford would deepen your pockets.
Rear seats leg room is just OK and the boot space is comparitively less.

Inshort, if you are person for a Ride that is fun to Ride........ Fiesta....
If its a package and long term relationship ...AVEO

If its AVEO...Do it this month? March is the month of deals....
Old 26th March 2007, 14:39   #20
BHPian

Guys, Thank you all for your inputs. From the looks of it, it seems the general feel is that I should consider the Fiesta 1.4, the aveo 1.4 and then the Verna I - in that order.
Would I be right in assuming that of these three, over a 5 to 6 year period, the verna would be the cheapest to maintain and Ford the costliest. Also, to put things in perspective, would it be possible for any of you to put a number down as to what would be the average amount spent on maintanence for a Fiesta Vs Aveo Vs Verna over a 5 - 6 year period.
Old 26th March 2007, 15:22   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Assume 2K to 2.5K( Verna) every 6 months when you service your vehicle and keep adding 20% to that every next 6 months and calculate for 5 years. This is provided your vehicle is maintained and driven with careful hands.

Assume 3K to 3.5K( Fiesta) every 6 months and follow the same steps as above.

Dunno about Aveo.

I follow the simple methodology to arrive at a 5 year cost and then compare with real ones. This helps you in being mentally prepared and also plan for the unexpected ones.
Old 26th March 2007, 15:31   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Assume 3K to 3.5K( Fiesta) every 6 months and follow the same steps as above.
Are you sure? My Fiesta (though a 1.6) is 14 months old, has now completed 25,000 kms and total cost of servicing so far is Rs 2,930.

It never was 3-3.5k per routine service even with the Ikon and the Fiesta's components replacement schedule is more spaced out
Old 26th March 2007, 15:44   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Suman, firstly i am glad to know that your service cost is so low. Secondly, i mentioned those figures on the higher side and also did mention them as assumptions for comparison sake of real costs. So accordingly, it works out to 30K over a 5 year period.

I know it could be quite high for some car owners and for others it could be the reality too depending a lot on usage, dealerships and luck to some extent plus we need to factor the unexpected too.
Old 26th March 2007, 15:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I know it could be quite high for some car owners and for others it could be the reality too depending a lot on usage, dealerships and luck to some extent plus we need to factor the unexpected too.
Regular service costs will be as per the schedule, I don't think luck has much to do with it. Luck comes as far as the unexpected is concerned.

I thought you mentioned regular service costs - if so, it would be the same for most, the per km cost may be higher for people whose cars have not done that much mileage as mine has........
Old 26th March 2007, 15:58   #25
Team-BHP Support

@SUMAN : Thats all the fiesta has cost you so far in terms of servicing? Quite a lot of people would be stunned by that. Hows the experience with the dealer working out for you?
Old 26th March 2007, 16:09   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
@SUMAN : Thats all the fiesta has cost you so far in terms of servicing? Quite a lot of people would be stunned by that. Hows the experience with the dealer working out for you?
Oh, I've been dealing with these guys for about 6 years now (from my Ikon days)....they know me well enough by now to realize that I'm a finicky character & do not tolerate any sloppiness. So I've never had any problems so far.

The 1.6 is not a very expensive car to maintain by the way - maybe Yogi can also share his experiences. Besides, I have peace of mind with the extended 2 year unlimited mileage warranty that I have from the beginning so....no sweat even if there are issues.

Read my ownership thread for more details........
Old 26th March 2007, 16:21   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29
Quite a lot of people would be stunned by that.
While suman's maintenance expense for the Fiesta is indeed quite low (given the normal high Ford maintenance that we hear of), IMO there is nothing to be stunned about. My Baleno has done 15000 kms and is 2 years old and the total maintenance exp till date is 604+0+634 = 1238.
Old 26th March 2007, 16:24   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
While suman's maintenance expense for the Fiesta is indeed quite low (given the normal high Ford maintenance that we hear of), IMO there is nothing to be stunned about. My Baleno has done 15000 kms and is 2 years old and the total maintenance exp till date is 604+0+634 = 1238.
Where did the Baleno come into the picture from???? I thought he said Aveo/Fiesta/Verna.
Old 26th March 2007, 16:31   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Where did the Baleno come into the picture from???? I thought he said Aveo/Fiesta/Verna.
The Baleno did not come as a "buy recommendation". The context was different if you noticed it.
Old 26th March 2007, 16:32   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
While suman's maintenance expense for the Fiesta is indeed quite low (given the normal high Ford maintenance that we hear of), IMO there is nothing to be stunned about.
I'm almost ashamed to mention what it was at the 15,000 kms mark - 700 only (one oil change at 10k, labour was free); at the 20k mark, it added 2,290 on account of oil change, air cleaner element change & oil filter change plus Labour charges of 775 (plus taxes).

The fuel filter which used to be replaced every 10k on the Ikon is replaced at 40k only on the Fiesta

Most Viewed