Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2007, 14:48   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
2. Some auto-mags publish comparison charts for spares costs which should give you a fair idea about one aspect of running costs. Though I am not sure whether any mag has already come out with data on these cars.
This is great news, I have never seen any magazine do this sort of a comparison. It would be nice if you could name the publisher and edition month if you know.

IMO, like most auto-mags have the last 4 pages dedicated to all manafacturers data including pricing, even the spares costs should also be a standard feature.
Old 29th March 2007, 14:55   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008
This is great news, I have never seen any magazine do this sort of a comparison. It would be nice if you could name the publisher and edition month if you know. .
I think it is Autocar - not very sure as I only read about it here sometime ago. I think the last they came out with such a comparo was in Nov-2005 or something. But this was before these 3 cars debut-ed in the Indian market and thus data for these cars was not part of the comparo.

P.S.: Due to copyright issues, I guess it is not possible to post a scanned copy of the comparo on the forum.
Old 30th March 2007, 08:44   #63
BHPian

Nov06 issue of Autocar has a very detailed article on spare parts and A.S.S costs of all the cars being manfactured in india. Its a really worth issue. go grab it.

I found in the magazine that spare parts costs of Aveo were less then Fiesta. Ofcourse Verna was newly launched back then so not too much info abt here.
Old 30th March 2007, 10:36   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Ashu, thanks for the info. By the time I go and grab it, hope the prices are not revised ( post budget)
Old 30th March 2007, 20:00   #65
BHPian

This is a great battle between the Aveo, Fiesta and Verna. Well each car is strong in one way or the other

Aveo - Best looking (subjective). Gearbox made better now. But still its rare to see an Aveo.
Fiesta - Driver's car. Should have made the rear seat more spacious though.
Verna - VFM (not for features alone but atleast for its CRDi engine and low cost of ownership). Now started to see quite some cars on roads.

I guess the service costs of a car, when speaking of Ford actually depends on the dealerships. But its a well known fact that Ford's spare parts are definitely on the higher side compared to others (no never more than a skoda).

But if you really need a driver's car you should overlook this factor. But the main concern for Ford is they're in serious trouble. With job cuts, declining sales and profits, closure of plants its not exactly sure where Ford motors is heading to. It'll be terrible if they pass these burdens to the consumers. This is just my doubt. No offence to Ford or Ford owners.

It actually depends on your exact requirements.
Old 30th March 2007, 21:19   #66
BHPian

Well, in my opinion the major reason for not seeing many Aveos on indian roads is the lack of Diesel Variant. Actually Fiesta Petrols are also selling almost same figures (800-900 units a month). It is the Fiesta Diesel which is steering the overall sales of Fiesta brand in india. Lately the mentality and choices of indian car buyers have changed towards the new age refined diesal engines for their excellent FE and great power delivery.

Another reason may be that GM isnt very apt in advertising their brands. I a month, I hardly see only one 1/4 or 1/8 size newspaper ad of GM brands in statelevel newspapers in Jaipur city whereas Ford has kind of reserved specific 1/4 size pages almost daily for the Fiesta Diet Diesel campaign. same is true for TV ads too.

I know ads alone cant push a car into success. still they do make a difference. here in Jaipur many ppl dont even know abt Optras or Aveos but they are crazy that their someone's Fiesta diesel gives 21-23 kms/l in city.
Old 30th March 2007, 22:23   #67
Team-BHP Support

aveo-space
fiesta-driving pleasure
verna-not sure
Old 2nd April 2007, 14:25   #68
BHPian

Gee..thanks Guys... I guess the only think I can make out is that I should test drive all 3 and then decide. However, am a little surprised at the lack of support for the Verna. Most posts tend to say that it should either be a fiesta (for performance) or the aveo (VFM). Is it because not many of you have driven a verna? Exactly what are the drawbacks of a verna-i, when compared to a fiesta 1.4 or aveo 1.4? (And please request you to not post info on baleno and other cars which i totally dont require. Hope you understand...it only crowds the discussion). Thanks for your time!
Old 2nd April 2007, 14:53   #69
BHPian

Just an update !!

Here in Delhi i am seeing a significant increase in the number of Aveos

But dont seem to understand why arent they promoting UVA
Old 2nd April 2007, 15:00   #70
BHPian

Would go for the fiesta for looks, driving pleasure and FE
Old 2nd April 2007, 15:20   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor0012 View Post
Gee..thanks Guys... I guess the only think I can make out is that I should test drive all 3 and then decide. However, am a little surprised at the lack of support for the Verna. Most posts tend to say that it should either be a fiesta (for performance) or the aveo (VFM). Is it because not many of you have driven a verna? Exactly what are the drawbacks of a verna-i, when compared to a fiesta 1.4 or aveo 1.4? (And please request you to not post info on baleno and other cars which i totally dont require. Hope you understand...it only crowds the discussion). Thanks for your time!

-ves for Verna
===========
=> Gear ratios, need to shift frequently... In city driving...you are not going to enjoy that
=> Stability at high speeds, Does not inspire confidence when turns are taken at 85+, Tendency to roll is observed..soft shocks could be the cause

Hyundai Accent Viva, is a better value for money than the Verna (Apologize for adding an another car)
In short, (IN SOFTWARE TERMS) Verna is a service pack of Accent Viva not a different version
Old 2nd April 2007, 16:35   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by namit View Post
Just an update !!

But dont seem to understand why arent they promoting UVA
Inaccurate demand forecasting maybe ???

I read somewhere that the demand for the car was more than GM anticipated ... while i don't know if that is actually true .. it could somewhat explain why they aren't indulging in promoting the car much.
Old 2nd April 2007, 22:22   #73
BHPian

@namit

bytheway which Aveo versions are being seen on Delhi roads, more frequaently? Aveo 1.4 base, 1.4LS or 1.6LT ?
Old 4th April 2007, 20:05   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
aveo-space
fiesta-driving pleasure
verna-not sure
Verna - Performance (better than or matching even Skoda Laura), low cost of ownership compared to other cars

Handling is not the best but that doesn't mean its very bad. Its definitely better than Accent and the CRDi verna has a better handling than its petrol version. I guess Aveo and Verna's handling are almost same in real world driving after having a test drive of both. Fiesta definitely is way better than any of the others around.
Old 4th April 2007, 20:18   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor0012 View Post
However, am a little surprised at the lack of support for the Verna. Most posts tend to say that it should either be a fiesta (for performance) or the aveo (VFM). Is it because not many of you have driven a verna?
I think thats right. Most people havent driven a Verna yet, and those that have would've gone for the Diesel drive because its rumoured to be a Pocket Rocket. However feedback from the very few Verna owners I know are positive therefore I'd encourage you to take a test drive - and maybe post your views here.

Most Viewed