Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2007, 10:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

Help choose ....

hi all

At this stage, I have few choices in buying a car. (Personally i would've loved a sedan, but the cost factor kicks me bad so its dropped)

cost - 3.5 to 5 max
cars in consideration:

- santro AT (automatic so that others at home can drive it)
- Getz 1.1 launching month end (gok when diesel is out)
- Palio 1.1 or 1.6 launching april 1st/2nd week (diesel no news)
- Logan sedan petrol low end version (diesel is 5.5 +)
- reva for its usefulness and its no-fuel policy

the diesels just dont seem to make it to the market at all and even if they do they are sold with atleast 1 lac of diff in price.

perceptions

1. hyundai cars - good overall. car + service - santro automatic will give 9 or thereabouts but plus point is all can drive it at home, fuelling will be an expensive affair.

2. getz has decent space for both luggage and people as well. whether the 1.1 will be grossly underpowered is to be seen upon usage of a/c

3. palio 1.3 is the best of the lot, but since diesel isnt there now, petrol 1.1 will have to be the case and the same problems as in (2) plus the FIAT a.s.s is another big big issue to bear in mind

4. the logan is definitely comfortable and is a sedan, but i have no clue about its ride and handling or its crash worthiness at all, so experienced guys here need to advice me on that.

5. reva - only 2 ppl plus some luggage only 60km - 70km comfortably. a/c wont bring power down, the current new reva travels faster than scooty pep. again everyone will be able to use it at home. 3.68 lacs slightly too much but that ll probably be the only cost incurred after which a minuscule 500 bucks a month charging it. currently i have a maruti 800 which i can then retain.

hopefully by april mid i should think of the car.
please throw in your choices for me.
Old 21st March 2007, 11:07   #2
BHPian

Logan worth considering .. its going to shake the competitors .. *crash* same can be said about the cars mentioned above ( drive safely )
Old 21st March 2007, 11:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thought the Santro would be a good bet here since its been tried and tested, reliable and a good city car. I suggest you wait for a month and try the Logan sedan. It will definately give you more value for money. The petrol version would be for around 5 lakhs but if you have high running you could stretch a bit and go for the diesel.

Surprisingly i dont see the Swift in you car wish list. Any particular reason?
Old 21st March 2007, 11:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

I suggest you wait for the Logan.
All that crash worthiness thing is crap. Its more safe than most cars in that segment here.
Old 21st March 2007, 11:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

thanks for your answers. i just dont seem to have a solid car as a one time investment. personally i found santro smaller and cramped w.r.t getz. same with swift, i just love the tech data, but the space is a let down for the price. this is one reason i love the palio - space is awesome for five adults. my friend checked with anuroop hyderabad, they say diesel palio is out in may, but they refrain from speaking more on it since they say it is a car supposed to ruin competition. hmm .... are they talking about 90bhp MJD?

the swift is a great car but for the space, I found the steering too puny for me, felt like those video game steering wheels at hand. maybe now they have dropped the EPS and went in for a normal power steering. not sure.

the bigger question is how long should i keep thinking of spending 4-5 lacs each time to keep buying a hatch. is a sedan so difficult to drive around or maintain in a congested city such as bangalore? and now when i want a great car, there is the question of people at home using it as well. if you are passionate about your car you ll probably guage what that feeling means sheer horror plight of thinking about others in your home using the car the way they want it !
Old 21st March 2007, 11:27   #6
BHPian

I would say prioritize and see which car gives you the most. You cannot get all in one car.
Old 21st March 2007, 14:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

Wait for the Logan, its very spacious and diesel is also quite peppy, will give the indigo sleepless nights. And the base model might just fall into your budget. And driving a hatch or a sedan, its all the same. You get used to their size in no time. Sedan can only be a problem if parking space is an issue.

Drifter
Old 25th March 2007, 10:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

All of the new palio, getz and logan appeal to me. it will be interesting to test drive both the palio and the logan before deciding on one of these. will the new baleno from maruti be unaffordable? they say the starting price could be between 7-7.5 lakhs. but at this price i dont think airbags/abs will be there. between the 6-7 lacs bracket there is the accent, fiesta petrol, probably verna petrol and indigo. and there is no news on fiat petra too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks