Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2021, 10:35   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rising fuel prices adding to purchase dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
Therefore, I am keen on purchasing a car which I can keep for 4-5 years before making the transition to an EV.

Kindly note that, I already drive a Swift VXi AMT and have a 16 year old Honda City GXi (in great running condition!)
When the current vehicle is in great condition and with the plan of switching to EV in next 4-5 years, why don't you continue with your current cars, unless there is a specific need for new car?

I assume you prefer to swap the City with new automatic now and then replace the Swift AMT with an EV later. If this is the case, your purchase is justified.

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 19th February 2021 at 10:39.
Mr.Boss is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 10:41   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kindly note that, I already drive a Swift VXi AMT and have a 16 year old Honda City GXi (in great running condition!).
Thanks!
I take it that since both your existing cars are running in great condition, you have no plans to let them go.
Quote:
Therefore, I am keen on purchasing a car which I can keep for 4-5 years before making the transition to an EV.
There are a ton of options from the Polo to City, Ciaz, Baleno, Ertiga, Brezza to even the Magnite and Kiger. Since you intend to keep the car only for 4-5 years I would suggest the Magnite/Kiger twins or even the polo/rapid if you want to have a blast. However if resale value is your concern and you if you change plans and decide to hold onto the car even after 5 years go for the City. It has a proper 4 cylinder engine with a CVT gearbox that returns excellent mileage.

Last edited by TrackDay : 19th February 2021 at 10:44.
Old 19th February 2021, 10:51   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
When the current vehicle is in great condition and with the plan of switching to EV in next 4-5 years, why don't you continue with your current cars, unless there is a specific need for new car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
I take it that since both your existing cars are running in great condition, you have no plans to let them go.
Thanks for sharing your views. Due to the NGT rule banning 15 year old petrol cars from plying on Delhi roads, I am unable to use my Honda City in Delhi. Hence, it is practically of no use now. The Swift is only an year old and we plan to continue using it for as long as possible (15 years in the max in Delhi NCR).

I am wary of buying a used car since tampering of Odometer is rampant and dealers are usually never transparent about the car's history.
kushagra452 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 21:05   #49
BANNED

I also waited for 5 years for EV revolution finally booked Seltos. I thought through scenarios which I felt not comfortable. EV at best good for city commute. Long drives require deep planning and with almost zero infrastructure and charging delays etc. The current generation EV options are not great and they also prohibitively expensive. We don't know about cost of replacing batteries, how long it lasts etc. There is no history and it takes enormous courage to buy and use it for long drives.

For city commute spending excessive of 15 lakhs may not be prudent for average buyers.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th February 2021 at 22:08. Reason: Removing unwanted dots after etc.
Old 7th May 2021, 17:40   #50
BHPian

Best value proposition in the 10L-15L bracket.

Hi everyone,

Hope all are safe and doing well. My family is looking to replace the 15 year old Honda City GXi because of the 15 year NGT rule in Delhi. The requirements are as follows:

Budget: 10L to 15L
Fuel: Petrol
Transmission: Auto preferred.
To seat: 90% of the time 2 persons. Max is 4.
Usage: 100% within city limits

Other requirements:
Low maintenance
High fuel efficiency
Spare parts availability

Open to both SUVs and sedans. We plan to keep this car for the next 15 years.

Thank you very much.
kushagra452 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 17:46   #51
BANNED

Re: Best value proposition in the 10L-15L bracket.

For 15 lakhs, for parents, there are only two cars that are worthy of being recommended, the Honda City and the Hyundai Creta.

Take your pick from among them.
turbo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 18:00   #52

I recently bought a Honda city v manual. It has all the features that is deemed essential. The on road price in kerala came at 13 lakh for the manual.
It comes with four air bags, esp, traction control, hill hold assist, tyre pressure deflation warning.
And if you are looking for naturally aspirated engines, this is the best option in the category.
Ride quality is on the comfortable side with good ergonomics.
There are some minor niggles reported by few owners, but haven't faced anything personally and there aren't any major issue.

As far as safety rating goes, the Indian version is very similar to the Thailand version which has a five star rating.
There is more than enough space as per your requirement.
The vehicle might be a bit long for ease of parking in tight spots, built quality isn't the best (between rapid and ciaz, closer to ciaz), the audio quality isn't great, so is the infotainment system or rear camera.
R2_d2 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 18:13   #53
Senior - BHPian

If the usage is within the city and for parents, you can look at the Ciaz/City. If driving is not a problem in the city, ingress and egress will be good for senior citizens on the XL6. Recommending these as the usage will be purely within the city, if highway driving is added, then safety of the vehicles will become an important factor and other vehicles have to be considered. MSIL and Honda have pretty good network and spare part availability. Maintenance is easy on the pocket too.

Last edited by Raghu M : 7th May 2021 at 18:14. Reason: new content
Raghu M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 18:19   #54
Senior - BHPian

Honda City V CVT covers all the basics for ~14.3L OTR price. You can also wait for Kushaq/Taigun.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 19:01   #55
BHPian

Since your parents are already using Honda City GXi, how about going something other than Hatchback & Sedan. How about going for Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza ?

It's a decent car, within budget, now in petrol with with AT (Only downer is 4 speed AT) & is comfortable for 4 person. Being a Maruti, Spare parts availability & other requirements should not be a problem.

Plus, it has got 4 star Global NCAP Rating ( I actually googled it :( )

and like Creta or Seltos, it's not a big car so even dimension wise it should be good for parents.

Happy hunting.
woodstock3001 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 19:34   #56
Senior - BHPian

2 cars. City & Creta would be the main options. But, since this is going to be used by parents for the city, why not a CSUV like a Nexon, Kiger or EcoSport? Or even an EV like the Nexon EV. Would make a lot of sense under ₹15L. Quite nice to drive as some members have said and would come with the Environmental Benefits along with more discounts and concessions, I presume.
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 19:48   #57
BANNED

Quote:
Transmission: Auto preferred.
We have a few options only, S-Cross, Ciaz, City, Brezza, Ecosport. Not considering the AMT equipped cars here.

Quote:
Usage: 100% within city limits
Since it's a car for your family, I am assuming that parents mainly. I would prefer to have a car with:
  • Easier ingress egress
  • Low set dash and window line, with good glass area and decent all round visibility
  • City speeds means driving speeds shall range from 10 to 60 kph

In this case, I would suggest you look for Vitara Brezza, a simple no nonsense car from Maruti with a 4 speed TC box. Don't think of 4 speed now, city speeds means even a 4 speed is as good as a 6 speed one. And it's fine for highways too in fact, the 4th cog is tall enough for occasional highway drives.

Low maintenance Maruti, Hyundai, Honda
High fuel efficiency CVT loves sipping fuel in city, especially if the foot is even slightly heavier. Though it will be more efficient on highway. I would still suggest you look for a TC equipped one.
Spare parts availability Who can beat Maruti here?

Quote:
Open to both SUVs and sedans.
My suggestion would be Vitara Brezza any day over and above the City; for it being a comfortable, no nonsense city car. Shorter in length, large glass area with awesome all round visibility, and the bonnet is also visible.

Ease of driving, ease of parking, lesser in price!

Last edited by VKumar : 7th May 2021 at 19:51.
VKumar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 19:51   #58
BHPian

Considering it is for 15 years, below is the list with preference:

1. Toyota Urban Cruiser
2. MS Brezza
3. MS Ciaz
4. MS Dzire (you save a lot upfront as well)
5. Hyundai Creta
6. Hyundai Verna
7. Honda City

Quality of Honda is degrading. For more than 10 years of ownership, one must chose only between Toyota & Maruti. Best of luck, do let us know what you finally buy.
VWAllstar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 20:07   #59
BHPian

I feel the only real options you should look at are Ecosport AT and Brezza/Urban Cruiser.

I have ruled out hatchbacks and sedans since your parents would be the primary users and therefore I strongly feel ingress and egress should be an important factor you should consider. The new City is a good option but it'll be too cumbersome to drive on potholed city roads especially with the long overhangs.

Now for the Ecosport, I think it fullfills your criteria perfectly. You will not be using the rear seat anyways so that's not important. It gets a proper AT and a very reliable NA Petrol. Also will have few niceties inside too which would feel better than the Brezza. The top variant is easily in your budget. While there are rumours of Ford reconsidering its presence here, I don't think long term spares availability should be a problem given how popular the car is. Additionally Ford service costs and maintenance is even lower than Maruti! You might also get large discounts on the SE variant since they're not hot sellers and you don't need the spare wheel as you're never going to take the car on highway. A variant considering imo

For the Brezza, its the perfect no nonsense car. Maruti reliability and service, a proper AT(albeit 4 speed) and very practical. However the interior is kind of a let down which might not age so well few years down the line. Also it's quite expensive for what it offers. But you also have a new nose on it in the form of the Urban Cruiser which gets the Toyota badge and a year more worth standard warranty. Pick what you like!

Both (or three) of these options are brilliant cars and you really can't go wrong with either. Do update on the developments though
Old 7th May 2021, 20:23   #60
BHPian

If it is always going to be used in the city, you should really consider Tata Nexon EV.

It is spacious, some niggles have already been sorted out, and efficient of course. Not to mention the feel-good factor the green number plate will get you.
hridaygandhi is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks