Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2021, 22:02   #61
BHPian

Re: Best value proposition in the 10L-15L bracket.

I would suggest you to get the Honda City only as you don’t find rear seat space and comfort in other cars when compared to the City and will be a downgrade in terms of rear space comfort!

My another suggestion would be Hyundai Creta! It’s suspension is soft and well tuned for comfort!

I see that you are not considering the Seltos! The 2021 Seltos HTX IVT has been updated with extra safety features like ESP, VSM, TC, HSA and BA!

Another suggestion from Creta/Seltos and City is Vento/Rapid! These both cars are also well suited for family and has decent rear space as well but fly in the ointment is A.S.S!
car_guy1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2021, 01:44   #62
BHPian

I’d suggest the S Cross AT. Though 4speed it’s a TC gearbox so should be good as a city and occasional highway car. Also it’s got unmatched ride comfort at that price range. The ingress / egress is quite easy and drives closer to a sedan than suv.
Old 8th May 2021, 03:30   #63
Senior - BHPian

Go Honda or Maruti to replace a Honda City and are going to hold the car long term.

In order of preference, I'd pick:
1. Honda City
2. Suzuki S-Cross
3. Suzuki Ciaz
Old 8th May 2021, 05:53   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Going to play the devil’s advocate here.

The second gen City was a masterclass in automobile construction. That kind of exacting build, top notch part quality, perfect fitting and the overall finesse are pretty much extinct. They just don’t make cars like that today. You cannot and should not expect that kind of long term durability, reliability and overall satisfaction from the current City or Creta or Ciaz or Verna. You will find these cars decidedly underwhelming once the novelty of the new features wears out.

Your old City is a car built to international standards and no India spec model can match that. There in only one car which can claim to be a genuine international model, and is also the spiritual successor of the City GXI. The Toyota Yaris. There weren’t many who appreciated the combination of excellent build to go with good NVH, sorted ride comfort, sturdy and well engineered mechanicals and top notch safety. This car should be your top pick for as long as it continues to be available.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 8th May 2021 at 05:57.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2021, 07:38   #65
Senior - BHPian

Ecosport Spprts at 12.5 L OTR seems to be a good choice. Feature loaded, looks great, great after sales, proven product, NA engine = lesser maintenance, high seats= easy ingress egress, and a smooth shifting MT. If it's being used 90% only in City, even the SE variant could make sense, saving you about 80 K or so. And if you want automatic, Titanium + AT could be a good choice, but you would miss out on some equipment which is present in Sports.

Only drawback I see in Ecosport is the low speed ride quality. Other than that, IMO it remains the most sorted CSuv.

Other option as suggested by many is the City V. But being a sedan be cautious of the GC related issues and the ingress/egress part, if you have elders.
I would avoid the Hyundai / Kia group due to multiple ASS related issues off late, and the average NCAP safety ratings.
Old 8th May 2021, 20:38   #66
Senior - BHPian

Last Nov-Dec I was also in the same shoes looking at rides in the 10-15 range while having certain criteria's similar to yours. In the end I took the Honda City V (CVT) which so far has been a good decision for me. It ticks all the boxes and definitely delivers on the points you mentioned. I had also considered other cars in the same price bracket or almost close ones. Do check them out too, else my advice would be the city. A no-nonsense straightforward reliable car with proven tech.

Replacement for 2nd-gen Honda City. Budget : 15 lakhs OTR. Suggestions?-1015-range.png
Other options considered.

Review of my City (5th Gen V (CVT)) : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ty-review.html (Athena | My 5th-Gen Honda City Review)
TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 02:18   #67

Dilemma of buying a new car in the 10-12 lacs range

A little background

So, I am looking to buy a car, preferably a sedan in the 10-12.5 lakhs OTR range and given the abundance of cars in this range I have ended up totally confused.

Requirements

- This car will be very sparingly used as I will be the sole driver and I work 100% from infront of my laptop and that doesn't seem to be changing anytime soon. Mostly market runs, the occasional road trip and i do not think most months it will even cross 400-500kms of usage. As such paying premium for a diesel does not make sense for me and plus, i have always preferred petrol cars.
- I like Manuals - rather drive a manual than a lazy automatic
- FE is not a concern - it will be very less driven and I would prefer something that is somewhat fun to drive. I genuinely do not mind a low FE in return for performance
- Needs to be a safe vehicle - better safe than sorry
- No long waiting periods - I am currently living in my hometown since the pandemic started and we had gotten rid of my old Octavia (2003 petrol, 120k mileage)just before the pandemic started and so the only spare car for me is a sparingly run Alto K10 Vxi - which is a fun little car to drive in city traffic but I can barely fit in the driving seat and that fun factor is fading away quite fast now.
- Should not be an outgoing model - I definitely do not want to buy something that you start driving and lo behold, they launched a new version.

Contenders - the shortlisted ones

1. Ciaz Zeta/Alpha MT
2. Verna SX /SX Executive MT
3. Honda City V MT -

My other issue is that my budget is not 100% fixed and for a good car, I am okay extending it 2-3 lakhs and that has been like opening a can of worms - City VX MT, lower to mid trims of Creta, lower trims of Seltos, even MG Hector has 1-2 trims in this range and not to mention the higher trims of Verna.

Cars I am not considering :

1. Seltos, Venue - do not like the design of these compact SUVs, feel more like hatchbacks on steroids
2. Swift, Baleno, i20 - paying 10 lakhs plus for a hatchback feels weird plus I have always preferred sedans.
3. Rapid, Vento, or anything from the Skoda/VW stable - we have had owned multiple Skodas in the family and each one was a nightmare and given that there is no skoda or vw service centre in my hometown maintenance is an issue but more importantly I will probably get kicked out from home if i dare say i am considering one!
4. WRV, Ertiga, XL6, Marazzo - not a fan of the vans
5. Yaris - feels like an outdated model
6. Nexon - not a big fan of the design and not sure what to make of a 3 cylinder engine in a 10lakh car.

The ones I am on the fence

1. Renault Duster - the 154hp engine sure does seem tempting and I will prefer a rugged duster over any of the fancier compact SUVs but duster seems to have been around for a long time , the cabin feels like its a generation old.
2. XUV 300 - havent driven it so far

Whoever has taken the time to read so far, a big thank you for putting up with my wall of text.

Any inputs and advice is much appreciated.
Old 12th July 2021, 03:44   #68
BHPian

Re: Dilemma of buying a new car in the 10-12 lacs range

I think lots of people will suggest that you go for the Honda City, I personally would too. I think the Ciaz is too old now, though it still looks nice and is a Maruti so reliability won't be an issue and neither would wait times I think. The Verna might have a bit of a wait time but am not sure. The Team-BHP review praises the new City and I frankly don't think that you can go wrong with it. I am unaware at the moment what the wait time is, so I cannot comment on that.

I wouldn't suggest the Duster for the same reason that you've specified about its cabin. It's way too old. Take a test drive of the XUV and find out how it feels. The engine is known to be a strength of the car and wait times shouldn't be too much of a problem. It is also 100% safe so that should take care of a major requirement of yours.
Old 12th July 2021, 06:45   #69
KPR
BANNED

My 3 inputs are
1. Scross
2. Ecosport petrol (but diesel is great)
3. Altogether half your budget to 6-7L to buy an entry level safe hatchback like Tiago and wait for this covid pandemic situation to get over. After 2 years you may assess the market and pandemic situation to trade this budget hatch for a big car. The depreciation on hatch will be much lesser as compared to a 12L car.

Last edited by KPR : 12th July 2021 at 06:46.
Old 12th July 2021, 08:21   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by masoomdon View Post
A little background

So, I am looking to buy a car, preferably a sedan in the 10-12.5 lakhs OTR range and given the abundance of cars in this range I have ended up totally confused.

Requirements

- This car will be very sparingly used as I will be the sole driver and I work 100% from infront of my laptop and that doesn't seem to be changing anytime soon. Mostly market runs, the occasional road trip and i do not think most months it will even cross 400-500kms of usage. As such paying premium for a diesel does not make sense for me and plus, i have always preferred petrol cars.
- I like Manuals - rather drive a manual than a lazy automatic
- FE is not a concern - it will be very less driven and I would prefer something that is somewhat fun to drive. I genuinely do not mind a low FE in return for performance
- Needs to be a safe vehicle - better safe than sorry
- No long waiting periods - I am currently living in my hometown since the pandemic started and we had gotten rid of my old Octavia (2003 petrol, 120k mileage)just before the pandemic started and so the only spare car for me is a sparingly run Alto K10 Vxi - which is a fun little car to drive in city traffic but I can barely fit in the driving seat and that fun factor is fading away quite fast now.
- Should not be an outgoing model - I definitely do not want to buy something that you start driving and lo behold, they launched a new version.
My suggestion-

1) City VX MT, stretch to ZX if you can as it looks really very nice with those LED headlamps.
2) Ecosport S varaint (I have the diesel and love it). I would suggest you wait (if you can) since the facelift is just round the corner and might get more goodies. Nevertheless it's still very well loaded for 13L car(petrol)and 14L(diesel,OTR).
3) Avoid Ciaz as it's too old and it's biggest + point of being a spacious car won't matter much to you.

It should be between the City and Ecosport. Fit your requirements perfectly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks