Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which C2 segment sedan would you choose?
Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI 96 25.74%
Honda City 198 53.08%
Hyundai Verna 36 9.65%
Maruti Ciaz 6 1.61%
Toyota Yaris 7 1.88%
Volkswagen Vento 26 6.97%
Other (please specify in your post) 4 1.07%
Voters: 373. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2020, 09:41   #31
VVN
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI vs Honda City vs Hyundai Verna vs others

Voted for the Honda City. Even though I own the infamous 4th Gen, I find myself smiling everytime I came back to it after driving any other car. The 5th Gen has improved in every aspect and I don't think there is any other car in this segment that I'd consider. Verna is a close second for me.
VVN is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 09:54   #32
BHPian

Voted for the Honda City Its the pricier of the lot but what it brings to the table is not being provided by the other. The 5th Gen City though has gone through a bit cost cutting but its driveability and the premiumness still remains unmatched.

A close second in my list would be the Verna. Great approach to a Sedan IMHO. It ticks quite a lot of the right boxes but is still inferior to the City in terms of driving dynamics and the heart of the matter, the engine beneath.

Rapid TSI may be the fun to drive one but lacks the modern approach which you would expect in a car priced this high. Also, IMO it looks outdated, the polo on the other side doesn't. So that's one more thing that lets me stay away from it.
Old 12th August 2020, 10:17   #33
Senior - BHPian

The Honda City any day. The City was anyways a solid package, and with the new version, what was good is now several times better in many aspects of the car. Most importantly, that legendary engine is now even more improved. Overall, this is a well rounded package that offers a great deal for the money, combining performance, practicality and reliability - in my eyes, the three pillars of car ownership.

Do not care much for these new age tiny three potters. Give me a silky smooth 4 cylinder naturally aspirated petrol any day over these forced induction motors .
arindambasu13 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 11:00   #34
BHPian

Voted for Honda City

As an overall package none of the competitors can match the new City. It beautifully balances all the requirements of a car buyer and there is nothing much to worry about it at least for 10 years down the line. Yes, The smartest way to spend INR 15 Lakhs in 2020 for a car buyer.
kamilharis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 11:24   #35
BHPian

Voted Rapid

A car that is strong inside out! I am an old school assessor of automobiles. I like lesser bells and whistles and more character from a car.
Better feedback from the steering, better high-speed stability, sheet metal thickness, laser welding, suspension tuning are some other areas I looked at.
Not that the other cars are not good, this coming from an ex City 2006 Exi owner
aabhimanyu04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 11:43   #36
BHPian

For some reason this segment does not excite me any more. I will pick a crossover instead of a sedan.
Crossover are more peaceful to drive on any roads and none of the sedans are handling oriented, the major advantage sedans once had
Old 12th August 2020, 11:56   #37
BHPian

Purely my take,

RAPID - Beautiful engine but costly maintenance - Also re-sale value isn't so high -
Not sure if C2 segment will get attracted towards this car

CITY - High cost, also I felt this car is great for city rides, Didn't feel great confidence while driving on highways at high speed - feels very light

VERNA - it checks out all boxes for me :-)
virgovencat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 12:14   #38
sgm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
I own one and I consider it as the poor man's luxury vehicle. The cabin refinement, build quality and the smooth jerk free character of the automatic makes you feel cocooned inside the car and to add a feather to its cap, it has consistently delivered 21kmpl+ on highway drives.
Voted for City for the features and its excellent NA engine or a Yaris as a family car if I wanted something with a lower budget. If I was in my 20s, I would have voted for a Rapid. I don't know when was the last time, I red-lined a car and my automatics have never even been red-lined for sure

As a family guy, I look for what is best for the family. I very well agree with you. Unless you are a hard core enthusiast, any of these sedans will do the job for you. The personal preferences are formed by the requirements and Yaris is a good family car. I love the CVTs for their smoothness, yes they are buzz killer when you want that little bit of extra fun. Any of these sedans can do 120 without any trouble but the fun factor varies but for a family with kids, a quiet and comfortable car is the best option.
sgm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 12:25   #39
BHPian

I would go for the City as it is more modern, safe and priced well compared to Honda's earlier pricing strategy. The closest competitor is Rapid TSI, which is priced well and fun to Drive, but the number of instances where I would used Rapid's full potential will be 10% of my car usage. If I were to buy a new sedan today today, it will be a Honda City if not a Rapid TSI.
Superleggera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 12:51   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, my choice if I have to choose from C2 sedans today will be the Honda City ivtec.

Hyundai Verna diesel will be close second, but that car is cramped inside.

Being a ciaz owner, I cannot think about being seated in a car with such a cramped rear.

I love the Rapid too, but I am thinking long term. Living with a 5 year old car with 1,21,000 km on odo, I understand the critical replacements that come in the 1+ lakh km mark. Both Skoda and Volkswagen are substantially more expensive when it comes to parts and spares cost. Moreover their A.S.S when defined in a single word - Shady!!

When it comes to looks, I love both the VAG twins, but the Hyundai Verna in black shade takes the cake (along with Montecarlo red rapid).

City is a jack of all trades (just like my ciaz, but better in all aspects, be it interiors quality or brand value or that sweet petrol engine). I would love to have the diesel but it's quite noisy and takes away the pleasure from travelling.

Space, comfort and reliability are unmatched (except the ciaz maybe), the petrol engine is quite nice to drive and the A.S.S is easy to live with. Let's factor in the resale value, there isn't another car that makes as much sense as the city petrol today. I just wish the overhangs weren't that awkwardly long.

But again, considering my usage (100 km a day) a diesel (verna) feels more practical, at the cost of space and comfort. So city wins here, despite higher running costs.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 12th August 2020 at 12:57.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 14:47   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Still, as my personal car, I would pick the Rapid TSI for that tasty engine, segment-best build & segment-best dynamics. It is a heck of a lot of fun to drive.

High running? The Verna Diesel AT. Superb engine + smooth gearbox + premium cabin quality.
+1 to GTO's views which mirrors mine.

I have driven both the Rapid TSI and Verna 1.6 CRDI (not the 1.5 though) which are totally awesome. The Rapid simply trumps the Korean mile muncher in much more confidence inspiring dynamics. I do love the overall package that is offered by the New Verna DCT (1.0 TGDI), although I have not had a chance to see one let alone drive it.

I somehow love a compact and "point & shoot" car and boy does the Rapid deliver that in oodles. But there is just no beating the refinement of a Verna CRDI, which is so damn quiet.

A dream match...
Skoda Rapid with the old 1.6 CRDI engine from Verna!!

Last edited by Vik0728 : 12th August 2020 at 14:49.
Vik0728 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 17:29   #42
BHPian

I'll reject all Hondas till the time they insist on overusing chrome! Ugh! I was split between the Rapid and the Vento. Rapid's suspension is better tuned. And also looks more fresh and updated vs the Vento. In the end ended up going for the Vento all over again (1.6 Tdi is my current ride). The suspension is mature enough (I upgraded the suspension on mine, which is always an option). RCD340 is quite brilliant (another upgrade I've already done on my Vento). Ventos need their warranties (had expensive replacements on my ac unit in year 2 of ownership). 7-yrs ought to cover it. I like the way it looks. Still. Build and paint quality is just plain superior to everything else in the segment. But the one thing which decisively swayed me towards the Vento over Rapid was the cabin. It's just that tad nicer, with parts used slightly better. I'd rather spend time in a Vento over everything else. Also I disagree with the cabin feeling outdated. Have friends who have recent Vernas / Cities / Ciazes. I just don't like any one of them. The simple elegance of Vento stands apart. (#Fanboy). The cars I've liked since Vento in proximity: either the Compass or the Octavia.
Old 12th August 2020, 17:35   #43
BHPian

Even though I wanted to vote for Rapid, City is the most practical for most people for fuss free ownership and comfort which I value more than fun driving.
Old 12th August 2020, 17:58   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annibaddh View Post
I'll reject all Hondas till the time they insist on overusing chrome!
Unfortunately, chrome and beige interiors - these are exactly what the discerning Indian customer likes and therefore, not just Honda, but a large number of manufacturers are forced to offer oodles of chrome on their top end variants in India to show that they are "premium". Even Kia, with the Sonet, has overused chrome in their top of the line variant which is being showcased as we speak.

I myself do not care much for overused chrome accents, but on the 4th gen city which I currently drive, I find the use of chrome to be tastefully done and not excessive. The new variant seems quite alright too. Of course, this is subjective and many might find this amount of chrome excessive as well.
Old 12th August 2020, 19:46   #45
BHPian

The title mentions "Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI vs Honda City vs Hyundai Verna vs others"

The others are so irrelevant that even their names were not worth mentioning here.

So its basically between the Rapid, City & Verna

The Rapid makes sense for the lower variants, great for a sub - 10 lakh budget. I could ignore the fact that it is an old car, and that there is no automatic available, but this particular part form the review is something I cannot make peace with ever;

Quote:
The clutch pedal has a medium level of weight. Hyundai clutches are definitely lighter and we would have liked this one to be softer as well. What is annoying is that the travel is longer than we would prefer, and the pedal's resting point is high. So, when you are driving in the city, your left foot will be resting at a high point and at a bit of an awkward angle
Between the Verna and the City Petrol, I'd prefer the City any day. Diesels are getting pretty much irrelevant so thats out of the comparision. IMO the City has better snob value as well.

The 5th Gen City is so well equipped and priced it has enough to counter the SUV's below and above it. The Creta and Seltos turbo auto versions touch 19.5-20.5 L vs 17L for the City ZX CVT!

The negatives being low ground clearance and the large overhangs which give it an awkward side profile.

So given my use case the 5th gen Honda City petrol CVT is a car that does many things right. The Rapid automatic if ever launched in the rider + variant would be significantly cheaper but the City still gives more for the extra money it charges.

So yes Honda City it is!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks