Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which C2 segment sedan would you choose?
Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI 96 25.74%
Honda City 198 53.08%
Hyundai Verna 36 9.65%
Maruti Ciaz 6 1.61%
Toyota Yaris 7 1.88%
Volkswagen Vento 26 6.97%
Other (please specify in your post) 4 1.07%
Voters: 373. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2020, 20:41   #46
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI vs Honda City vs Hyundai Verna vs others

If I were to decide selfishly, that is considering whats best for me only, it would have been the Rapid, in none other than the Rider guise. I am no gizmo freak and it offers just the right amount kit I need - one simply cannot ignore the value proposition it has to offer. And although I haven't driven the TSI yet, the testimonials from fellow bhpians is enough to mould my choice.

But being an one-family-one-car man, I can't think about just myself, can I? From this perspective, the new City is nearly unbeatable; which is why, it got my vote! Yes, one has to sacrifice some amount of driving pleasure for ferrying 5 people in comfort. So be it!
Romeo_Mike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 21:07   #47
BHPian

Being a owner of two Skodas I voted for Honda City this time. I have personally driven both these cars. The hassle-prone ownership of Skodas (costs, time involved in service centers, the sheer ineptitude shown by those folks in handling customer grievances) far outweigh the enthusiastic driving experience. What I have realized after all these years of ownership is that these cars are best suited as a second car/ project car at best which you want to experience only from your personal pleasure standpoint (tinker with some mods/ remaps/ tuning etc.,). The latest version of City ticks all the right boxes and is fairly satisfying to drive. To me it is the latest best-buy within INR 20 lakhs.
anuragbagur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 21:16   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Unfortunately, chrome and beige interiors - these are exactly what the discerning Indian customer likes...

I myself do not care much for overused chrome accents, but on the 4th gen city which I currently drive, I find the use of chrome to be tastefully done and not excessive.
On what market wants: Oh yes. Don't blame Honda for creating a product the market wants. But to not even offer the option to consumers? I can't stand the sight of the new Honda fronts, right across their range!

On the 4th gen too I agree. Have a few of them in my friend circle and everyone loves them. Including the interiors, which they quite like. I personally find the interiors (particularly the way they feel) very cheap plastic.
Old 12th August 2020, 23:10   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annibaddh View Post
On what market wants: Oh yes. Don't blame Honda for creating a product the market wants. But to not even offer the option to consumers? I can't stand the sight of the new Honda fronts, right across their range!
The trend was created by the lousy Maruti and Hyundai and customers flocked there. Heck Suzuki did sticker jobs too. Honda did their part to join the party. When Gimmicks and Kitna deti hei lead over driving pleasure and comfort this is bound to happen. Every other maker suffered to this trend.

Last edited by saisree : 12th August 2020 at 23:21.
saisree is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 11:24   #50
BHPian

I will vote from my heart (Rapid) but buy from my head (City)
puneetakhouri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 00:22   #51
BHPian

City it is!

Rapid is out of the competition considering bulk of the customers would not be fully utilising it's driving capabilities. As mentioned earlier also, it can be your project car or your second car, not your daily driver (lacks the dependability).

Verna is an amazing all-round package with reliable service experience, decent petrol engine and a long list of features. And better VFM than the City (you can get a Verna SX IVT at a lower price than City VX manual). But the lack of rear seat space is a bummer and personally I abhor the wide grill front look.

City's major drawback is its price but can't argue that it is being stingy on features or something else. Again, I personally dislike the huge chrome grill but would prefer it any day over Verna's. A big miss for the City is lack of color options also which are the same as previous gen. Would have loved to have it in black.

But as a first time buyer who has grown up seeing City as an aspirational car and Honda as the premium brand and manufacturer of classics such as Civic and Accord, the heart and mind both take you towards the 5th gen Honda City.
Old 14th August 2020, 08:11   #52
Senior - BHPian

I feel weird that I voted for the City because I would anyday have the Vento/Rapid twins for the pure driving pleasure! Heck! I drive a Vento and I can't give it up!
Truth is, once the new Rapid/ Vento comes to town in 2021, you'll feel really bad. The interiors in the new Polo/ Virtus/Rapid are so modern that it'll make the current interior design completely outdated.

But times have changed, traffic has increased and there are these 80/120kmph alarms which can drive you absolutely crazy over those limits. And for that reason alone, I would rather choose the City and cruise in it.
Turbohead is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 16:56   #53

I have been driving Diesel Verna for the past 7 years almost, to start with the fluidic and continuing with the 2017 upgrade. Ultimate smooth diesel motor with good linear power delivery on both versions and the most powerful of the group at 128 bhp. Problems of the fluidic viz vague steering and soft ride with car bottoming out on most humps is taken care of in the 2017 version. Gadget wise Verna was leading the pack at the time of my purchase in 2017. Best pick up in the class and decent braking in spite of the 2017 version loosing rear discs. Clocked 50000km recently and fuel efficiency on an average is 19.5kmpl.
Old 15th August 2020, 09:02   #54
BHPian

Interesting that the test drive car did not have registration. Was the ODO disconnected?
that indicates malafide intention from the dealership. they are using the new cars as test mules, which are mistreated (revved hard, pothole tests etal)
Many years ago, I had raised a complaint against a Tata dealer in Thane, who was doing the same. Don't know what happened there, but as a community, we should raise these issues with the parent company so that the dealers don't get away with such shady practices.
Old 17th August 2020, 14:18   #55
OSH
BHPian

Look at how things have changed in ~2 years.

End of 2018 poll
Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI vs Honda City vs Hyundai Verna vs others-si_20200817_140026.jpg

Mid of 2020 poll
Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI vs Honda City vs Hyundai Verna vs others-si_20200817_140105.jpg

As of now;
Honda City goes up from 24.81% to 52.38%.
Skoda Rapid goes up from 9.72% to 25.30%.
Hyundai Verna goes down from 31.71% to 10.42%.
VW Vento goes down from 8.44% to 6.85%.
Toyota Yaris goes down from 6.91% to 2.08%.
Maruti Suzuki Ciaz goes down from 14.07% to 1.79%.

Note : The number of voters are also somewhat similiar as of now; 391 vs 336.

Last edited by OSH : 17th August 2020 at 14:25.
OSH is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 15:34   #56
BHPian

Rapid any day as it looks brilliant - its aged like a fine wine and looks super classy.

Moreover great engine and build quality that is leaps ahead of all others.

Dealers used to be a problem but not anymore. I have had no issues with Dealers in Delhi for last 4 years.
Old 17th August 2020, 16:54   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
Dealers used to be a problem but not anymore. I have had no issues with Dealers in Delhi for last 4 years.
Could you recommend any particular Skoda dealers in the Delhi NCR region with whom you have had favorable experiences? Thanks!
Old 17th August 2020, 19:17   #58
BHPian

I think it is only T-BHP where Rapid TSI 1.0 because of its gem of an engine and even with that dated design is the second choice in this poll.

If this would have been a general poll the second position would have been taken by the Verna most probably.
sv97 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 21:35   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv97 View Post

If this would have been a general poll the second position would have been taken by the Verna most probably.
Analogically, rapid is like the hot girl you love and will have to risk losing your family and relatives if you marry her. City is that pretty girl who your parents want you to marry, and you get the love and support and warmth of both the families while the marriage lasts.

The fear of Skoda's A.S.S is more than we would think, among the public.

A few young men don't mind risking it for the love of their lives, while the old ones (more experienced) know it ain't worth the stress.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 17th August 2020 at 21:49.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 10:11   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post

Analogically, rapid is like the hot girl you love and will have to risk losing your family and relatives if you marry her. City is that pretty girl who your parents want you to marry, and you get the love and support and warmth of both the families while the marriage lasts.
Prasanna, your analogy is completely off the charts buddy!!

As rightly quoted, European automobile/engineering is a huge risk in India as most of the time the after sales support are incompetent, manufacturers inventory is pathetic or simply put...these machines are not designed for the use and abuse on our Indian roads.
With little bit of care and watch, I can vouch for the fact that these machines do deliver the feel that very few Korean/Japanese machines can match.

Quote:
A few young men don't mind risking it for the love of their lives, while the old ones know it ain't worth the stress.
THIS IS THE CLINCHER FOR ME
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks