Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2007, 12:31   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Many thanks Guys!

Blisteringly quick answers I must say!

Just heading over to Advaith now to armtwist their 'Assistant Manager-Luxury Car Sales'! I find it surprising that they they don't even have a car on display. I mean they DO WANT to sell the car, right?

Incidentally, check out the 'new' 2007 Hyundai Elantra pictures on NetCarShow. Is this the new one bound for India and if so, when? I got conflicting answers from 2 dealers: one said that 2009 at the earliest while the other mentioned that it will be soon but that the price will be higher that the current one and may go upto 14 lakhs (ex-show BLR).

Will PM ShuvD as suggested, thanks. Problem is that I am now based in BLR and would prefer a LTT-paid car! Any others know of any Elantra CRDI for sale in BLR? :-)
Old 5th June 2007, 15:04   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Returned from Advaith

Just returned from Advaith after checking out the car at their stockyard and quizzing their staff.

The salient points below:
  1. No discounts in the Hyundai May scheme on the Elantra CRDI. June's discount schemes expected today evening - will post if there are any on the Elantra; Remember this is without any kind of negotiation at all!
  2. Both Diesel (CRDI Leather) and Petrol (GLS) now discontinued. Only options are GTi (petrol) and GTD (CRDI). Thus no more factory fitted alloys, automatic climate control, OEM leather seats or dual airbags on the current models; Seems that most customers are not interested in the climate control and airbags coupled with no Indian vendors for the same. Hence Hyundai is removing them for cost reasons;
  3. Bangalore on road prices are 10.05 lakhs while GTI is 8.32 lakhs; Salesman compared these with Verna CRDI SX ABS version at 9.47 on road. Mentioned that they don't dare advertise the Elantra too much or offer additional discounts because of the risk of taking away the former's market share. Just look at what you can get for 50k more!
  4. New Elantra expected in mid-2008 at the earliest. This is because of Hyundai India's hectic launch schedule over the next few months with the Getz CRDI, Santa Fe and the Embera's CRDI Automatic version;
  5. Even if the new model comes in, Hyundai will probably continue the older (current) car like they did with the Accent. Else they will face a gaping hole between the Verna SX/XXi and the new Elantra (expected ex-showroom price around 12 lakhs);
Hope the above helps. Do feel free to add your valuable inputs!
Old 5th June 2007, 16:11   #18
BHPian

it wasntme, good informative post, but why arent you considering the skoda rider in the Used segment? or increase your budget some more for a new one..
Old 5th June 2007, 16:23   #19
Senior - BHPian

Well even I was considering the CRDi elantra at one point of time. But when I was ready to buy, the model I wanted was out of production. I finally bought a Cedia Sports which frankly is a way better car for the price in every way. Only thing it lacks is climate control. The handling and agility of the Cedia, even though it lacks TCS is way way superior to the elantra CRDi.
Old 5th June 2007, 16:37   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Transam,

Wife already apoplectic at my unilateral expansion of the budget! It was originally 8 lakhs OTR (Bangalore) and I was eyeing the SX4 or say the Verna Xi. Have managed to convince herself (and self!) that its madness to pay 8 lakhs for what is still a midsizer. I am used to petrol Indicas for comparing interior space - no way will I pay silly money for similar interior space when my brand new Xeta GLS is 3.24 lakhs OTR!

Any further increase in budget and my wife and also my bank manager will be after me with a cudgel :-)

Used cars don't appeal to me - I can't forget the lovely aroma and feel of a new car. Love the idea of a used Skoda but can't stomach spending that much for a 'second-hand' car!

Last edited by itwasntme : 5th June 2007 at 16:47. Reason: Typo
Old 5th June 2007, 16:41   #21
Team-BHP Support

Want a good comfy diesel? Bargain for the elantra. 30K easy.
Otherwise get a 10K off on the Verna. Thanks to Maruti, Hyundai dealers have stopped flying so much.
If you are used to an indica, you will find the skoda pretty cramped, on the inside a skoda is a small car.
Old 5th June 2007, 16:46   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Want a good comfy diesel? Bargain for the elantra. 30K easy.
Otherwise get a 10K off on the Verna. Thanks to Maruti, Hyundai dealers have stopped flying so much.
If you are used to an indica, you will find the skoda pretty cramped, on the inside a skoda is a small car.
tsk1979, am a novice when it comes to bargaining with car dealers! Any tips to help me? Its obvious Hyundai are concerned about the Elantra eating into their latest cash cow's sales (Verna CRDI SX with ABS)! and they are not openly advertising the former. How can I capitalise on the slow sales of the Elantra and get a good deal? Thanks,
Old 5th June 2007, 16:47   #23
BHPian

it wasntme, with all due respect to budget and desire to buy a elantra, but going in for a elantra in mid 2007, when a new ones out mid-08..you gonna take quite a hit on the OTR price of today..Yes, love that new car smell too..especially if its something you always wanted to drive, but i guess here you have to make the prudent choice between skoda new/old and the elantra.
Old 5th June 2007, 16:56   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
tsk1979, am a novice when it comes to bargaining with car dealers! Any tips to help me? Its obvious Hyundai are concerned about the Elantra eating into their latest cash cow's sales (Verna CRDI SX with ABS)! and they are not openly advertising the former. How can I capitalise on the slow sales of the Elantra and get a good deal? Thanks,
Bangalore has 4 Hyundai dealers. Pit them against one another. Thats the only way.
First step is showing them you are serious, not a stroller. Tell them you want to buy, look confident.
After first round of negotiations, you will have a discount figure from each dealer.
Second round, inflate that figure by 10-20%(realistic) and say X dealer is giving that, can you match.
After second round you will have your dealer of choice.
Old 6th June 2007, 00:19   #25
BHPian

Thnx everyone. My friend has finally decided on a Cedia black which come swith ABS, EDS, airbags fully loaded within 10 lacs
He took a TD of Cedia and fell in love with it. The car looks awesome
Old 6th June 2007, 14:03   #26
BHPian

Elantra is doing great. Has done 25K KM and is still my favourite. Couple of things to note -

1. Using premium diesel -- Elantra doesnt appreciate that. GIves out tonnes of smoke with that kind.
2. The only bad thing (if I should be critical) is the Build Quality. I can as well live with it (just that it isnt on par with Skoda, which I dont expect it to be) as long as it gives me such stupendous performance.
3. Pete's -- I had fixed it initially. Except for reducing the lag, it doesnt do much. I am comfortable even without it. Infact, the economy figures dropped considerably when I used it for a week.
4. I get about 14-15 Kmpl in city conditions. Havent checked on the highway - not bothered at all; all that mesmerises me is the ease with which this car pulls you along. Its an experience !!!
5. Brakes are excellent. So are ABS and EBD. TCS not required in the city conditions. Not yet sure if turning it off would give me better economy.
6. Tyres would easily last 40-45K Kms.
7. The music player is ridiculous - doesnt play mp3 and yeah, who would expect you to retain it, after all it comes factory fitted and is complimentary.
8. Headlights are not that powerful. You would need to upgrade it anyway.
9. Seat height adjustment and lumbar support is a blessing while driving long distances.
10. I am not keen on the new Elantra. Resembles so many cars - doesnt have a character. Performance may be awesome - waiting to see and test drive. Could be priced high.

But thats where this model scores - Value for money. After the price cut (even without alloys, automatic climate control & airbags), its value for money.

Please let me know if you need more details.
Old 6th June 2007, 14:44   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin_seattle View Post
Thnx everyone. My friend has finally decided on a Cedia black which come swith ABS, EDS, airbags fully loaded within 10 lacs
He took a TD of Cedia and fell in love with it. The car looks awesome
Make sure you go to Lathangi opp IIM Bangalore. Way way better dealer than Southern on St Mark's Road. Their after sales service is real good too. Got my car serviced yesterday in 3hrs flat.
Old 6th June 2007, 14:54   #28
Team-BHP Support

coni.. Why don't you give us a detailed review
252K kms! Thats crazy mileage.
Any engine problems/rebuilds till yet, or your elantra is still running everything original.
I am sure the shock absorbers would have changed, etc., etc.,
Please post a detailed report, it would be a wealth of information for everybody.
Old 6th June 2007, 15:10   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
coni.. Why don't you give us a detailed review
252K kms! Thats crazy mileage.
Any engine problems/rebuilds till yet, or your elantra is still running everything original.
I am sure the shock absorbers would have changed, etc., etc.,
Please post a detailed report, it would be a wealth of information for everybody.
its 25k kms

<End of message>
Old 6th June 2007, 15:22   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
its 25k kms

<End of message>
oops my bad.
I mistook conni for the other guy who has run his elantra for more than 100,000kms, I think its tadkuttan??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks