Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2007, 09:49   #76
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcetech View Post

is GM's a.s.s. much better than Ford's?
GM's A.S.S. used to be horrendous and opel brand(astra) was very expensive to maintain. New GMs don't suffer from that problem, but they say memory of opel remains, I call it the ghost of opel.
To permanently get rid of this exception GM offers excellent yearly maintenance packages. If you opt for such a package your car will be cheap to maintain for the first 3 years definitely.
Also the spare parts costs are no high with GM as they used to be ealier.
As for Ford, the Ikon is a very good car,good value for money, but its an old design. Ford got the Fiesta here, and did not discontinue the Ikon, just like hyundai flogs the accent.
Ikon initially had the expensive to maintain tag, but ford has also learnt the lesson.
That said you may find the flair underpowered. It may not be underpowered for somebody, but you may find it so.
So before zeroing on the deal, drive both the cars which you have chosen. See the seat comfort etc., and buy the one you enjoy more. Both cars will give similar FE, and maintenance costs will also be similar.
Old 30th April 2007, 14:25   #77
BHPian

test drive: ikon vs aveo u-va

ikon: great handling, max torque at low rpms minimise the pain of frequently
changing gears in city. seat comfort is good. u feel in control of the car.
plastics/interiors ok. ford tried to improve interiors by using plush beige interiors(but its a half attempt). new jeans blue color is amazing. was stunned by the looks at first sight.

cons: old design.. all my relatives/friends are against it.

aveo u-va: good handling, very good city car. incredible spacious(even more than ikon).. great interiors. 3yrs warranty..
but its doesnt give u feeling of in control of car as ikon.
Old 2nd May 2007, 00:17   #78

So which one you finalized?

Hi,
So which one you finalized? Ikon or UVA?

Regards,
Sandip
Old 2nd May 2007, 10:42   #79
Team-BHP Support

@Dectech : Looks like the dilemma over the Ikon still remains.
Somehow, i feel the extra moolah poured in for the U-Va isnt really worth it. I dont feel that it offers so much for the price it commands.

As for the Ikon, the 'plush' beige interiors isnt something i was very impressed with, but the car feels more lively on the inside. As Tsk said, Ford has made ammends with regards to the Ikon being thought of as expensive. When going in for the Ikon, bargain with the dealer to throw in the extended warranty plan.

If you decide on the Ikon, what colour are you looking at?
Old 2nd May 2007, 11:19   #80
BHPian

Quote:
cons: old design.. all my relatives/friends are against it.

aveo u-va: good handling, very good city car. incredible spacious(even more than ikon).. great interiors. 3yrs warranty..
but its doesnt give u feeling of in control of car as ikon.

iKON, never looks outdated.
The feeling behind the steering wheel is awesome. I have driven the 1.6 pretty often and I still do. But I am sure handling wise the iKONs (1.6 & 1.3) would be the same.
A saloon image is a hyped concept in India..and this image would help if you plan to keep the car for some time.

On the other hand, U-VA handling is preety good too!!! The only difference is the steering wheel experience.

Given a choice between, U-VA and iKON. iKON for you would be a good pick.

As Benz said, BARGAIN!!! with the dealer. Dont show too much interest to the Ford Dealer, get the best deal. Never trust when they tell you that he has reached his limits of discount.
Old 2nd May 2007, 11:30   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raajks View Post
As Benz said, BARGAIN!!! with the dealer. Dont show too much interest to the Ford Dealer, get the best deal. Never trust when they tell you that he has reached his limits of discount.
Benz??!!
You can make that Benny.

Best form of approach here is to pit one dealer's offers against the other, and squeeze the max out of them. However, at times even the dealers seem to work in tandem and would have an idea on the maximum the competition would succumb to.
Old 2nd May 2007, 22:43   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandipwadje View Post
Hi,
So which one you finalized? Ikon or UVA?

Regards,
Sandip

still weighing pros n cons of both cars, but will book a car on this sunday

monday- I decided on ikon (jeans blue), tuesday - saw a u-va(rainforest green) again on road n decided on uva... wednesday- ikon seems a better buy to me.. my mind tells me again n again.. ikon is big.. n the feeling of behind ikon's sterring wheel is great!
in other words, m confused

help.
Old 2nd May 2007, 22:53   #83
BHPian

jeans blue colour

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
If you decide on the Ikon, what colour are you looking at?
jeans blue, tht looks Great!
Old 3rd May 2007, 07:03   #84
BHPian

Quote:
still weighing pros n cons of both cars, but will book a car on this sunday

monday- I decided on ikon (jeans blue), tuesday - saw a u-va(rainforest green) again on road n decided on uva... wednesday- ikon seems a better buy to me.. my mind tells me again n again.. ikon is big.. n the feeling of behind ikon's sterring wheel is great!
in other words, m confused

help.
LOL , exactly what I am going through .Sometimes I also start feeling torn between the endless wait for my swift and the ready stock of Ikon but in the end one has to see his own pocket also! Why don't u think it this way - if u buy a swift will you regret whenever you see a ford ikon pass by you ??? If yes then you should go and buy a ford ikon . Simple.

Last edited by nikunj_cal : 3rd May 2007 at 07:05.
Old 15th May 2008, 18:02   #85
BHPian

AHOY! DCETECH! Been enjoying reading this thread, but the story did not have an ending. Come on, which car did you buy? Huh? Huh?
Old 28th July 2008, 17:43   #86
BHPian

What to Buy - Hyundai Accent or Ford Icon

Hi Viewers,
I was planning to buy Swift VXi in the next couple of months as the vehicle’s performance and resale value was good. But my family members hate the design of the car basically the shape. So now I have rethought on which car to buy and I have decided on Hyundai Accent or Ford Icon. But I am not sure if these are in production now and will continue their production after 4 years so that my resale value is good. Please share your thoughts on the same if I can buy any on of these cars or not.

These are my criteria’s

a. Hyundai Accent or Ford Icon
b. Budget 5.5 lakhs
c. For More Importantly Good resale value after 4 yrs
d. Good Mileage
e. Better Performance
f. Spare parts Cost lesser
g. Should be in production after 4yrs.

Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Post Edited since it contained various [FONT], [COLOR] and [SIZE] tags. Posting with such text formatting should be avoided on Team-BHP as it is inconvenient for members to read post.

Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

Strongly recommend you to go through Announcements section before proceeding.

Thanking You for your anticipated co-operation

The Team-BHP Support Staff

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th July 2008 at 18:05. Reason: Font tags & Smilies

Most Viewed