Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2007, 18:03   #1
BHPian

new Ikon vs Logan vs Esteem vs Accent

Hi,
I am planning to buy a new car in Lower C-segment... my budget is Rs 5.5 Lac..
Running - 1000kms/month (max) (mostly city drive, occasionally highway)
Version - Petrol
Requirement - Sedan

In last one month, I've taken test drive of ikon, Accent, esteem, getz, fiesta, aveo u-va, indigo n now Logan.

Fiesta, Aveo are on higher side.. do not really want to push my budget to that extent.
Aveo u-va, Getz prime.. I can get a bigger car in almost the same price.. + I already have a small car.. maruti 800 dlx

Priority:
1. feel good factor + on road image
2. Fuel Economy
3. Maintainence
4. Handling
5. Comfort / Interiors
6. Features/freebies... power windows etc.

Ford Ikon: (1.3 flair 2007) (Rs 5,21,000 on road, delhi)
+ves
- Value for Money
- Comfort
- Handling / Build Quality
- Plush Beige Interiors
- Fully Loaded (power windows, fog lights, stereo, corporate discount)

-ves
- High Maintainence costs (i m nt very sure, but ppl say... is it right?)
- dated
- Low resale value
- Fuel Economy not very good (city : 12kmpl with AC)
- may be phased out (any update?)

Mahindra Renault Logan: (petrol 1.4) (Rs 5,25,000 on road, delhi)
+ves
- Value for Money
- Good Service Network
- New car (resale value would also be higher)
- Looks, new design
- Large boot space, seating capacity high (though I need this one)

-ves
- Low Fuel Economy (dealer at delhi tell me city mileage : 11kmpL)
- new car, not tested much on indian roads
- ok-ok interiors, mostly plastic
- No power windows, No stereo, No discount
- Only Black/Beige colour in 1.4L

Maruti Esteem Vxi: (Rs 5,62,000 - Rs 30,000 (discount))
+ves
- High Fuel Economy
- Low Maintainence Costs
- Superb Service Network
- Good Resale Value

-ves
- Out-dated looks
- ok-ok interiors
- Build Quality
- May be phased out

Hyundai Accent: (Rs 5,72,000 )
+ves
- Service network
- Comparatvely Low Maintainence Costs
- Value for money
- Comfort

-ves
- disconitinued in Jan 2007.. again started but on lower scale. only GLE model available now
- may be phased out in near future
- Low FE

Senior member/experts pls help me in choosing the best car among these..
I had almost made up my mind for the josh machine.. ikon.. for its value for money, looks , handling n comfort.. but put it on hold till the launch of Logan.. Now I am confused..

I've heard after 3-4 years.. maintainence costs of ikon become high as parts are nt available in local market.. n its resale value is almsot nil after 5-6 years. ?? n It may be phased out in near future.. Is it true?

Does it really make sense to push my budget by 1.5 Lacs for Fiesta or Aveo? or Shall I wait for more cars.. SX4 etc.. are they coming?
Old 15th April 2007, 19:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sir, welcome to t-bhp..

Its a tough call actually.

I would say go with the Esteem. Sure, you cant get everything. The build quality may not be as good as Ikon/Accent, but you get tremendous value for money. Good performance, fuel efficient engine, Maruti A.S.S. are just some of the factors. Ofcourse there are cons like outdated exteriors/interiors etc. but then iKon is outdated too. Logan is too new on indian roads (although an a car with outdated body itself) and nothing can be said about its peformance, reliability etc. I am not too sure about Accent (and i think it crosses your budget). And i have not heard about Esteem being replaced anytime soon, its the Baleno which is getting replaced.

Maybe strech a lac more and get Fiesta 1.4. You will get a modern car, but not the FE of Esteem.

Last edited by DCEite : 15th April 2007 at 19:32.
Old 15th April 2007, 20:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mahindra Logan
Low Fuel Economy
That could hit your resale value as well.

With regards to the b+ segment cars,some of them can put sedans to shame in terms of interior space and the package as a whole, of course you miss out on the boot.So is the boot an absolute must,that could be the deciding factor.

The tata indigo is also a decent choice in this segment and the v series is right up there in terms of pricing.However between the three you have shortlisted its really a tough call between the ikon and the esteem.However since your priority no 1 is on road image I think the ikon scores over the esteem here.Logan have not driven it myself/or seen it in person so cant comment.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 15th April 2007 at 20:14.
Old 15th April 2007, 20:07   #4
Team-BHP Support

One question, why no indigo in your list. As far as quality(build and A.S.S.) is concerned, there is not much to choose from Tata or Mahindra.
Old 15th April 2007, 20:48   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
One question, why no indigo in your list. As far as quality(build and A.S.S.) is concerned, there is not much to choose from Tata or Mahindra.
I agree its not that bad as its projected usually ..
Old 15th April 2007, 21:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

dcetechs question is very pin pointed and extremely clear. guys, why dont the new ikon owners come up with the answers asked for, it ll be knowledgeable for us too, esp the maintenance part and FE.

personally i would not recommend the logan (check my website or team-bhp for the review of the test drive) for its price. esteem is totally outdated too. the ikon still has some energy left it in before its closed completely, but i doubt ford would resort to that anytime now.

the indigo petrol is a waste of time and money for an unrefined engine. are you particular about sedans? if not swift/palio/getz/uva all come in the price range of 5-5.5.
Old 15th April 2007, 21:31   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcetech View Post
Does it really make sense to push my budget by 1.5 Lacs for Fiesta or Aveo? or Shall I wait for more cars.. SX4 etc.. are they coming?
Yes, Yes, Yes.

a) Push your budget and go buy an Aveo if urgent
b) Wait n try SX4
Old 15th April 2007, 21:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

dcetechs,

the Sx4 will be definitely launched may 1st week and the price band maybe 6-7.5 lacs ex showroom delhi. so do your calculations. as jaggu said, aveo 1.4 is another good overall package. with GM's 3 year warranty, even the so called "perceived costly spare part" threat must not deter you from buying this car.
Old 15th April 2007, 22:22   #9
BHPian

I am unsure if you would like the FE of any other sedan if you think 12 KMPL with AC in city is not good enough. Then the only choice you are left with is Esteem, that meets most of your priorities. May be the feel good/ on road image is not as much as others, but not bad either.

If you are ready to accept a lower FE than 12 KMPL, you have more choices.

Apart from Logan the other 3 cars are being phased out/ outdated, there is a bit of risk involved w.r.t maintenance. If you are ready to sacrifice or compromise last 3 priorities, Indigo sounds like a good option.
Old 15th April 2007, 22:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

Of all these I would suggest you to go for Ikon or else the Accent.
Esteem isnt spacious, its not solid, its outdated... the only + ve being the A.S.S and the fuel average which is offcourse due to the feather light build which will have rattles in no more than 1-2 years. Its way past its prime.... infact by now it should have defunct if not for India's fixation with maruti and fuel average.
And i agree with sree above, you are expecting a lot from a 3 box sedan when you say 12 kmpl with AC isnt decent mileage... even if its the feather light esteem.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 15th April 2007 at 22:33.
Old 15th April 2007, 23:26   #11
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Well, you've got all the facts right already!...

BUT... if your first priority is "feel good factor + on road image"

its well worth to stretch you budget for the 1.4 Aveo/ Fiesta.... ... and not just for the image... the extra you pay would get you an altogether better car.

Otherwise i don't really see you have much option... its Logan..... (all others are at the end of their life)
Old 15th April 2007, 23:47   #12
BHPian

Thanks dceite, rahul_intlad, tsk1979, navdeep, Geeksrik, Jaggu, sreenivass, extreme_torque, SLK for replying.

I agree with Geeksrik.. esteem/accent somewht seem outdated... I feel Ikon still has some energy left.. especially with ford ikon improved looks in front (bumper, fog ligts), better handling n comfort. I can manage with fuel economy of 12kmpl.. and its overall a VFM package.
Thats why I was tempted to go josh machines's way until I came across forum, some car owners stating high maintainence costs, low resale value n rumours tht ikon may be phased out.

I can take a maintainence plan n extended warranty for 2-3 years to save on high maintainence costs.. but even then, is it a good deal?

As far as petrol Indigo goes, dealers themselves are not very sure of its performance.. a TATA showroom I visited didnt hav any petrol Indigo stating "Sir, Petrol Indigo koi nahi leta". Indigo Diesel is the best deal, but I m nt very sure of petrol variant. and with a running of around 800kms/month, I wouldnt want to go for diesel.

I already have a small car maruti 800 dlx in ok condition and want to go for a entry level sedan. So Swift/Getz is out.

Aveo/Fiesta starts at 6.6-6.7Lac on road while Ikon with all its discounts/freebies comes at 5.2Lac on road. A difference of around 1.5Lacs. Is it really worth it?

Last edited by dcetech : 15th April 2007 at 23:55. Reason: missd a line
Old 16th April 2007, 00:36   #13
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcetech View Post
Aveo/Fiesta starts at 6.6-6.7Lac on road while Ikon with all its discounts/freebies comes at 5.2Lac on road. A difference of around 1.5Lacs. Is it really worth it?
Well, its really hard to justify that it is worth it.... but to me it is.

There is a difference between spending 1.5lakhs extra and stretching your budget by 1.5 lakhs.... the later hurts more.

Come to think of it ... another 40-50k... and you get the NHC (Honda City)... even that is worth it.......

So... end of the day it's your decision whether you want to spend the 1.5lakhs or not..... though its worth.
Old 16th April 2007, 01:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

If i was in your place i would narrow down to esteem and ikon
and if i were a coice i would buy a ikon as its amazing VFM
Old 16th April 2007, 02:04   #15
Senior - BHPian

SX4 is nothing but a rebadget Fiat Sedici IMHO, looking at your requirements i would recomend you to shoot off with a AVEO 1.4

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks