Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2007, 12:55   #1

Used Skoda RS - what to look out for before buying?

My dad's looking at picking up an used Skoda RS. He's not test driven it yet, but apparently its done 17000 kms.
Just wanted thoughts on what to look out for specifically in an used RS?
Old 19th April 2007, 14:02   #2
BHPian

This is a Sept 2004 RS with 20700km on the clock. Doesnt look too well looked after-upholstery not too clean, dust in the A/C vents, underinflated tyres(they were at 15psi), slightly darkened engine oil, dusty engine compartment, needs wheel alignment/balancing. Correct me if I am wrong but I would expect an RS to be owned by an enthusiast who looks after his car!

What sort of maintenance issues do I have to look out for?

The tyres are quite worn and will need replacement. Rather heavy wear for 20k km. Is this expected?

From a previous thread (Skoda RS vs Civic) I am thinking of a max price of 7.5-8 lacs. Is this reasonable?

Replies and advice gratefully accepted! (I have read the advice section on buying a used car and found it very useful).
Old 19th April 2007, 17:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

scorpiodame, how about coming for the drive? All your questions will be answered.

gkrishk, stay away. Seems like a bad car.
Old 19th April 2007, 19:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishk View Post
From a previous thread (Skoda RS vs Civic) I am thinking of a max price of 7.5-8 lacs. Is this reasonable?
A 2005 RS with 27K kms , 1st owner was being quoted at 6.5 L in Kolkata. Haven't seen the car.
Old 19th April 2007, 19:42   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

The RS'es tyres are known not to last longer than 25000 kms under controlled driving. The power at the wheels makes them enthusiastic.

Check for suspension problems. This is the only known achilees heel with a well-driven RS. I believe its due to its stock suspension shared with its NA twin and optimized for THAT engine.
Old 19th April 2007, 19:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Skoda's usually have clutch prob which is pretty steep to repair, so keep an eye on that.

And an RS for 6.5!!!!!! In TVM, they sell for like atleast 8lakhs plus for sure.

Last edited by karthik247 : 19th April 2007 at 19:53.
Old 22nd April 2007, 10:47   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiodame View Post
My dad's looking at picking up an used Skoda RS. He's not test driven it yet, but apparently its done 17000 kms.
Just wanted thoughts on what to look out for specifically in an used RS?
Best thing to do would be to get it checked inside-out by a Skoda authorised service station. Or an independent mechanic of your choice.

Too many crashed and well-repaired Skoda RS in the used car market.
Old 23rd April 2007, 01:47   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Best thing to do would be to get it checked inside-out by a Skoda authorised service station. Or an independent mechanic of your choice.

Too many crashed and well-repaired Skoda RS in the used car market.
why is it that in bang, that ive never seen any RS's up for sale at the used car places...they arent even that many in bang to start with, or i guess im not in the business district that often. Mainly i see the TDI's up for sale though.
Old 23rd April 2007, 01:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishk View Post
This is a Sept 2004 RS with 20700km on the clock. Doesnt look too well looked after-upholstery not too clean, dust in the A/C vents, underinflated tyres(they were at 15psi), slightly darkened engine oil, dusty engine compartment, needs wheel alignment/balancing. Correct me if I am wrong but I would expect an RS to be owned by an enthusiast who looks after his car!
The Odo could have been clocked too. There is technology to clock electronic odo, althought I dunno if our Indian crooks have got it.
Old 23rd April 2007, 08:43   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
The Odo could have been clocked too. There is technology to clock electronic odo, althought I dunno if our Indian crooks have got it.
Yup, these guys have it for sure. A friend's lancer which was sold after covering 195xxx kms is now for sale with the odo showing 85xxx kms. Not surprisingly the owners handbook with service records is missing
Old 29th April 2007, 10:59   #11
BHPian

Thanks guys for your advice.
I've decided to give it a miss..best to go for a new diesel Octavia instead I think.
Old 16th March 2010, 16:22   #12
BHPian

Came to this thread after going through 'best cars for under 6 lacs'. I am looking for a car in this budget as well. There is a used Skoda RS at Evershine Motors on ST Marks road. The asking price is high. What would one expect to pay for a used Skoda RS in Bangalore for the following criteria:-

1) Skoda RS under 20,000km - is it possible to find one in Bangalore? If so what is approx price?
2) Skoda RS between 20,000 to 50,000 km - Found one ONLY. What do you guys suggest the price to be (approx)?
3) I read Skodas above 50,000 km are not reliable. Do you think its worth spending money to pick up a used Skoda RS in this category? If so for what price?

Hope to get a reply soon.
Old 16th March 2010, 19:13   #13
Team-BHP Support

Skodas RS's above 50000km are okay if there is documented proof of clutch and cam belt change. If not factor Rs 60k into it.

If on St Marks road. Give me a shout and I will scan the car for any faults on the ECS
Old 22nd March 2010, 18:08   #14
BHPian

Best thing to look for would be a car thats not been made by Skoda. Love the car, hate the company. Irony couldnt be better defined. This car (Octavia) definitely does not deserve the treatment that is meted out to its customers by this company. Give it a pass , Honda / Toyota ... why even a Fiat would be much much better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks