Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2007, 15:22   #31
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Navin, As per our conversation yesterday:

Compact hatch: Suzuki Swift. Perfect for women. Safe. Looks "kewl"!

Sedan: Chevy Optra 1.6. Women love this car. Great value and superb road manners. Very light to drive. Is more peppy than the Corsa but only just so.

My personal choice: The Civic! Go ahead and extend your budget for the lady. Its fast, comfortable, has great interiors, reliable and a genuine all-round package. Undoubtedly one of the best sedans today. Plus its the latest and wont get outdated anytime soon. Trust me, the wife will be verrrry happy.

Quote:
She is happy with her existing Sail 1.6 but would it tobe a bit more peppy.
Precisely the reason I wont recommend the petrol Verna.

Last edited by GTO : 20th April 2007 at 15:24.
Old 20th April 2007, 15:26   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Navin there is no Fusion diesel option sold here. Are you sure about this?
I think I've seen a couple of Fusions with a TDCI engine around Gurgaon/Delhi. And they were not test cars - they were normally registered.
Old 20th April 2007, 15:28   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmishra83 View Post
I think I've seen a couple of Fusions with a TDCI engine around Gurgaon/Delhi. And they were not test cars - they were normally registered.
Well they certainly aren't sold here. How did you know it was a TDCI? Badging?
Old 20th April 2007, 15:45   #34
BHPian

Yes, saw the TDCI badge on the back. Its been a month or so. I may be mistaken if you are sure!
Old 20th April 2007, 15:55   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmishra83 View Post
now thats a news !!!
Old 20th April 2007, 16:05   #36
Team-BHP Support

Yup, news to me too. Ford website or dealerships make no mention of TDCI fusion!! I think it was a test mule.
Old 20th April 2007, 16:05   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sedan: Chevy Optra 1.6.
My personal choice: The Civic!
I too love the Civic and the Optra 1.6. buuttt...

She vetoed both cars last night. Too big she said. She likes the Swift but I believe that once she has driven an auto box she will be sold. Her drives are usually in bad traffic conditions (noon to 7pm) so an auto box will de-stress her a bit.

If the NHC was a hatch and a foot smaller she would have had not thought twice.

Besides if we need a bigger car the family Accord are always available and if she wants to go for a real drive she can use the RS. This car will be something she can throw around during the day. A "fill it, forget it" carl.
Old 20th April 2007, 17:29   #38
Senior - BHPian

It Seems your wife wants Swift & you want a CVT for her

Btw IMHO if she is fine with a manual why force to an automatic? Also the Swift tops end comes with ABS+Air Bags(since you wanted safety as well)+ Climate control. what else can you ask for?
Old 20th April 2007, 17:59   #39
Senior - BHPian

According to BSMOTORING, launch of the new Baleno (SX4) is scheduled for the last week of this month. It looks really great in the pictures. Will come with a reworked Baleno engine. And the chassis is an evolution of the Swift's chassis.
News & Features - Boot camp - Business Standard Motoring
Old 20th April 2007, 19:02   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Like I said before if the City was 200-250mm shorter it would have been a no-brainer...
If the NHC was a hatch and a foot smaller she would have had not thought twice.
Too bad the Jazz is not around. Would have been ideal

Last edited by goldie_malhotra : 20th April 2007 at 19:04.
Old 20th April 2007, 21:06   #41
Senior - BHPian

The ford ikon is 4140mm in length,though it does not have an auto gearbox option.

But then if given a choice I think the NHC CVT would be the first choice for driving in traffic.With regards to the swift ,the torquier nature of diesel could be better off for city traffic.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 20th April 2007 at 21:18.
Old 23rd April 2007, 10:12   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra View Post
Too bad the Jazz is not around. Would have been ideal
Or the Honda Fit, more specifically the Fit Sport.

2007 Honda Fit - 10Best Cars - Car and Driver January 2007

2007 Honda Fit - Specifications - Official Honda Web Site

Update:
Wife has postpone her decision till the SX4 comes out since that release is so close.

FYI: Yes the Civic and Optra are nice cars but we are dealing with a girl who feels the City is too big so any ideas that are bigger than the City are not accpetable.

Yes my wife wants the Swift and I want her to have a City CVT (Vtec would be nice but I believe that she does not need the power during the day and she has the RS for the night) becuase I believe that she will love it once she drives it since the steering is so light (a tad too over assisted for spirited driving) and one does not has to worry about changing gears.

You see 4 years ago my wife wanted a Zen. I wanted her to have the City CVT (yes even then). We settled for the Sail as it was bigger, tougher and had a better ride than the Zen. After 4 years of dealing with poor A.S.S. we thought she should have a car that has better A.S.S.

Hence we discounted the the Palio, U-VA, and SRV and shot down the Indica on grounds of fit and finish. That left the Getz and the Swift both of which are not really in the same class as the Sail. My wife can hit potholes at 40-50kmph in the Sail and neither she nor my son were badly shaken or sitteed (in this respect the Swift is a bit better than the Getz but both are still not in the same class).

In the end it will be a case of drivibility and suitability for Mumbai's traffic and parking conditions. She believes the Swift is small enough to be ideal, I believe that the CVT with it's oh-so-light steering and auto box (the CVT does not have the clunkiness of a traditional single-cltuch auto box) more than compesates for the 500mm of extra length esp since she will also have motorised rear mirrors (not available as even an option on the Swift) and a (ex-market) PDC.

Last edited by navin : 23rd April 2007 at 13:37.
Old 29th April 2007, 08:46   #43
BHPian

How 'bout a Santro Automatic

Er Navin .. given your brief .. have you considered an automatic Santro .. i know it does'nt look great and i'd never have considered it for myself .. but .. my friend bought one to drive to work everyday and it's great .. trouble free .. easy to drive .. AND PARK (God know's that's important in BOM now).. Hyundai's A.S.S. is quite good too .. i don't know if F.E. is a factor because that's not too good .. of course the ride's a bit choppy if the road's bad ... of course all this is if you can't manage to convince her about the city CVT .. cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks