New 5th gen Honda City 213 73.70%
Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2021, 09:21   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Used Toyota Corolla Altis vs New 5th-gen Honda City

Quote:
Originally Posted by AravBS View Post
Well i am an exactly similar situation deciding between a New Honda City (5th Gen - ZX CVT) and a 2016 Corolla Altis VL CVT.
Hi Arav, What was the asking price for 2016 Altis VL CVT?
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 09:56   #47
BHPian

@latheesh, owner is quoting 13L which I believe is too high for the pre-facelift model.
AravBS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 16:04   #48
BHPian

I own both 4thGen Honda City and the now discontinued Corolla Altis.

Would not recommend buying any Honda or the matter of fact current gen Honda City.

Their quality has gone down and you sometime feel cheated when u buy a car costing more than a million.

Corolla is a way more superior car.

I plan to retain my Corolla which is already more than 6 years old, but plan to sell my untouched Honda City within 3 years.
samitjain is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 12:00   #49
Senior - BHPian

I had voted for the Honda City earlier, however would like to change my stand now. It's not worth it. It's a great car no doubt, but not value for money in my opinion.

When I bought the Rapid I had taken a short drive of the City, but was blown away by the performance of the Rapid Tsi engine gearbox combo. So went for it because features donot matter to me. However, recently I got to spend some time with the new city, and am glad I did not buy it. The looks of this generation is not appealing and the build feels pretty light. I would stay go for the Altis, the newer the better. It's a segment above and reliability shouldn't be a matter of concern at all.
Altocumulus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 16:26   #50
BHPian

After a comprehensive reading through vigsom and vid6639 threads I took the plunge to acquire this timeless machine via pre owned route from Cars24.
Quickly summarising my observations as below for altis 2009 1.8GL odo reading 104500 kms:

1. Very good driveability in 3-4-5, it just pulls and pulls. After owning Rapid TSi for a year, this just completes my world.

2. What build quality, fit and finish.

3. Auto dim irvm (talk of the town after XUV00 launch).

4. 5th alloy spare wheel (again very much valuable after I read about someone suing the manufacturer for puny sized spare).

5. Cavernous boot and 60:40 split.

6. Got it at 20% of original price and makes so much sense in these uncertain times.

7. Fuel economy is 9-11km/L but I'm ok since this is going to be my secondary vehicle with usage limited to 500kms a month.

8. Steering is my favorite place to be, such a joy to hold.

9. Auto AC.

Rest I will update as I go and clock some more miles in it.

Thanks for reading
Cheers
Gaurav!

Used Toyota Corolla Altis vs New 5th-gen Honda City-img_20210820_150420.jpg

Used Toyota Corolla Altis vs New 5th-gen Honda City-img_20210820_150436.jpg

Used Toyota Corolla Altis vs New 5th-gen Honda City-img_20210820_150429.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 26th August 2021 at 23:43. Reason: Typos fixed. Pictures inserted in-line. Please proof-read before posting. Limit smileys to 2/post.
Rapidholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 20:43   #51
BHPian

Dear esteemed members, i could not go ahead with the earlier shortlisted Altis as i felt the price quoted was very high. I am now considering a 2018 model Corolla Altis VL CVT (petrol), single owner (company owned), 34,000 kms driven.
The car is well maintained except for few minor issues mentioned below (hope none of these are a cause of concern).

1. Small dent on Boot/Dicky door
2. Small scratch on Rear Bumper and Left Front Door
3. Repainted - Front Bumper, Rear Bumper, Left Quarter panel, Left running board and Rear left door
4. Spot on Front windshield

Is 14.5L (Bengaluru) a good price for this ?

Alternate option is a New Honda City - ZX CVT. I am inclined towards Altis for the better build quality, Toyota reliability and the flexibility of 60:40 split seats.

NOTE: Car will be driven by myself at all times.

Thank you
Old 26th August 2021, 21:49   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The car is well maintained except for few minor issues mentioned below (hope none of these are a cause of concern).

1. Small dent on Boot/Dicky door
2. Small scratch on Rear Bumper and Left Front Door
3. Repainted - Front Bumper, Rear Bumper, Left Quarter panel, Left running board and Rear left door
4. Spot on Front windshield
Alternate option is a New Honda City - ZX CVT. I am inclined towards Altis for the better build quality, Toyota reliability and the flexibility of 60:40 split seats.

Thank you
Personally, the City maybe a nicer car to self drive except for ground clearance.

I found the steering of the Corolla to be dull, dashboard spartan, low on features, etc. In fact, the only reason we bought the Corolla was the rear seat comfort, ground clearance, abuse friendly nature : in the 32,000kms the car has run, I've probably driven it only 2,500 with the rest being done by the driver.

Instead, I would look at a low run example of the CRV in a similar budget (albeit older with worse fuel economy), or Civic (at a higher budget once again) for self driving.

Coming to your particular example: the exterior condition doesn't seem like a very well maintained vehicle - those are a lot of parts that seem to have been scratched up which could indicate the driver having poor judgement (if it's due to multiple incidents), or one bigger accident. However, no airbags or lights breaking indicate that they would be minor incidents so not much to worry about from a structural perspective.
The car is quite abuse friendly, though parts are on the expensive side.
34,000kms would also see brake pads, & tyres etc. needing replacement around this time or shortly thereafter so check for the same and budget accordingly.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 22:36   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

That is a decent price for a 2018 car, provided you have verified the repair bills concerning the repaint jobs - there should not be any structural repairs.

I just want to add to your confusion that Corolla can hardly be called a D segment car, it is a more spacious and practical C segment car due to heavy localisation and lower build quality. It is a good idea to buy a used D segment car instead of a new C segment car but Corolla (Indian) is not such a step up from C segment cars.

At least do some window shopping of the cars with minimal localisation like Elantra, Tucson, new Civic, Camry, etc. assuming you don't want to go near a Skoda. Here are a few random samples to give you an idea:
https://www.olx.in/item/hyundai-elan...iid-1651086597

https://www.olx.in/item/toyota-camry...iid-1651648697

Last edited by androdev : 26th August 2021 at 22:43.
androdev is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 09:59   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thank you
I had bought 2015 Altis GL manual for 11L (in 2019) and very happy with my decision. I had purchased from U-trust for the peace of mind so I guess it came with a bit of premium over market rates. I haven't tried the new Honda city, but the build quality of Altis was solid as compared to that of Ciaz/City which felt flimsy(relatively) Also Honda city is pretty low slung and my father had issues getting into back-seat. Corolla has decent ground clearance and I have seen it bottom out only when fully loaded (5+luggage) and on bad humps only. Also even the VX model of city was few lakhs extra compared to this.

Coming to Toyota service, bills are cheaper than that of my 2018 Alto K10 AMT () However, Part replacements will obviously be expensive considering this will be D segment.
Yes it misses on rear AC vents, but cooling is amazing even with front blowers. Dashboard feels dated, but then it started growing on me, I kind of feel it has a bit of retro charm to it.

Overall, my plan was to go with pre-owned car for couple of years until BS6 settles down but been enjoying corolla and not sure if I even need another car now

Last edited by rajshenoy : 27th August 2021 at 10:29.
Old 27th August 2021, 11:57   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapidholic View Post
1. Very good driveability in 3-4-5, it just pulls and pulls. After owning Rapid TSi for a year, this just completes my world.
That is the plus point of this car. At every point and in every situation there is always more than adequate torque available. Just that a 6th would have immensely helped. I may not be exaggerating if I say that a taller 5th and a 6th gear would've increased at least a thousand sales per month of this particular generation Altis petrol.

Quote:
7. Fuel economy is 9-11km/L but I'm ok since this is going to be my secondary vehicle with usage limited to 500kms a month.
In city, I get around 12 and on highways, always upwards of 16. A light foot on this car works wonders.

Welcome to the Altis club!
Swapnil4585 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 13:58   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post

At least do some window shopping of the cars with minimal localisation like Elantra, Tucson, new Civic, Camry, etc. assuming you don't want to go near a Skoda. Here are a few random samples to give you an idea:
https://www.olx.in/item/hyundai-elan...iid-1651086597

https://www.olx.in/item/toyota-camry...iid-1651648697
Thanks for the recommendation. While Elantra, Tucson, new Civic, Camry, etc are great choices, i am hesitant for a steep upgrade given the cost of running and maintenance of this big cars. Also i don't want to appear too glitzy in my circle
AravBS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 14:01   #57
BHPian

Thanks all for the suggestions. I will take a test drive of both this week and see what appeals to my heart and head.
Old 28th August 2021, 15:01   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation. While Elantra, Tucson, new Civic, Camry, etc are great choices, i am hesitant for a steep upgrade given the cost of running and maintenance of this big cars. Also i don't want to appear too glitzy in my circle
Lot of people confuse Elantra with Verna. It will perfectly fly under the radar and being a Hyundai should not be terribly expensive. I would actually say that new corolla looks more bling. I agree Corolla would work out a lot cheaper to own in the very long run. In the long run, we are all dead.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 23:57   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
Just that a 6th would have immensely helped.

A light foot on this car works wonders.

Welcome to the Altis club!

Can't agree more on the 6th gear part but then having a rapid tsi fullfils the other needs and these both complete my world!

I will take it for a ~400 km drive this weekend and will share more observations. I am a sedate driver and hoping to get the mileage figures that you are quoting unless something is already wrong with the car (time will tell, range in odometer drops quite fast for eg 60kms will become 55kms in a matter of 3 kms).

Overall impression so far : happy and satisfied with my purchase

I had been regretting not getting the onyx version of rapid and settling for rider but then in retrospective the buck I saved there got me into the altis club
Old 3rd September 2021, 10:55   #60
BHPian

Corolla Altis is definitely a better car and is a segment above. However, 14.5L is way too much. If you can negotiate it and bring down the price then for sure go ahead with the Altis especially since it's a MT. CVTs are junks.

Honda City on the other hand has seen it's quality and reliability go downhill ever since the launch of 4th gen Honda City in 2014. The current gen City is nowhere as reliable and niggle free compared to pre 2014 Honda City. Toyota on the other hand has still maintained the quality of it's cars. Although the old Corolla continue to be the most bulletproof of all, the new one ain't much worse either. Despite of being a used car, a 2017 Altis will prove to be more reliable and trouble free in longer run compared to new Honda City. Not saying that City will fall apart but will continue to have minor issues over time.

Also the 140 bhp 1.8L engine in Altis is far superior to Honda City's 1.5L motor in terms of performance and drivability.

Most Viewed