Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2021, 13:36   #61
BHPian

Re: 4th-gen Honda City vs Tata Nexon

Thanks everyone for your valuable feedback! As @Turbohead said, I was probably looking for validation!
Old 15th June 2021, 14:57   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Confused, but not confused! What car for 13-17 Lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob.thomas View Post
Thanks @IshaanIan for the inputs. From whatever online content I could gather about real world mileage it seemed that the City is quite competent with in city mileage around 12-14 kmpl and highway mileage of close to 20kmpl.
The 4th gen City with CVT automatic never reached 10Kmpl, it was always 9-9.5 in Bangalore traffic to and from the biggest of the tech parks here before the pandemic. It was easy to drive but engine + transmission was a whiny and unpleasant combination when the road opens up. If your usage is less, get the manual, that is the real Honda City.
Old 15th June 2021, 16:01   #63
BHPian

Re: Confused, but not confused! What car for 13-17 Lakhs?

Quote:

Options under consideration
• Hyundai i20 DCT Asta (O): This was my first choice up until I started reading about multiple Hyundai DCT failures on Team-BHP. I can’t live with the uncertainty surrounding the DCT. iMT is not offered on the top variant (lose out on 4 airbags, ESC, ISOFIX etc.). Had they offered the iMT in the top variant it would have been a strong contender.
• Tata Nexon: All respect to Tata for rediscovering themselves in the past 5 odd years. I'm not a big fan of how it looks. It is a solid car, but Tata service is something I’m not willing to tango with. Still its good enough to not outright reject.
• Fourth Generation Honda City: A solid car and a terrific value proposition. The only reason I’m second guessing here is because it co-exists with its newer brother.
• 2020 Fifth Generation Honda City Petrol CVT ZX: The main reason for this post. Over the last few months, I’ve been appreciating this car more and more. The skinny tyres (can be easily upgraded) and the uninspiring central screen are the only negatives. I can live with both. This car is the main reason I bumped up my budget from INR 13 Lakhs to INR 17 Lakhs. It is a comfortable, fun, no nonsense car with sorted fundamentals.
Honda City -Gen you can choose based on your preferences.
As some of the members have mentioned , you can't go wrong with the Honda City - engine, practicality, reliability etc. To give you a sense on mileage, i drive the 1.5 IVTEC CVT (on a BRV) in NCR and get 12-14 kmpl in city and 14-16 kmpl on the highways (80-100 kph).
On transmission options, as a few have already suggested, CVT for convenience . But if you don't need to drive a lot on congested roads, the manual would be my pick . Add upsized tyres and you can have loads of fun too, when you are in the mood
Old 15th June 2021, 20:09   #64
BHPian

Since your anticipated ownership period is long (as it should be) and consideing your requirements, i think you should take a look at Toyota Yaris also. Even though it is a slow seller and likely to get discontinued soon, the product is really good (better than Honda City in terms of ride quality and Safety as per my readings) and you will never have to wory about the service and reliability with Toyota. It being a slow seller you might even get a good deal on it.
Otherwise New City seems to be a good choice.
Old 18th June 2021, 11:04   #65

By my own admittance, I practically (and boringly) vote for the Honda City! Your aptly written summary helps get a hang of your use, expectations and if I may put a couple of words to summarize, they would be: reliability respected, longer period retention possible, lifestyle car (Getz was no run of the mill production for Tom Dick & Harry).

Ample said here on the options. It is easier to make choices when options are bad, but in your case, the choice is harder as the options you have are brilliant in their own might.

All the best and keep us posted!
Old 18th June 2021, 15:10   #66
BHPian

Quote:
At present I am using a Petrol Automatic Ciaz

My revised budget is INR 13-17 Lakhs.

Must Haves:
Safety Rating (4 Stars or more)

car has ESC, traction control and at least 6 airbags

Manufacturer has not played with the life of your family for a quick buck

• At least 4 airbags
• Hassle free ownership: I want to keep the car for a minimum of 10 years.
• ISOFIX Child seat mounts.
• Petrol Automatic: TC or CVT.

My predicted usage will be 8000 KM (5000 KM in the city and 3000KM on trips >250 KMs) per year.

• Reasonable space and good comfort in the front and rear seats:
• Good air conditioning
• Reasonably powerful engine:
• Should be a reasonably successful model in the Indian market. I don’t want to be stuck with a market dud.

Nice to have:
• I must confess I have to jump on panoramic sunroof bandwagon here
• A nice music system
• A large boot will be a definite plus.

Undecided
• Forced Induction or Naturally Aspirated: I have not driven a turbo petrol yet. But again, not sure if the engine will last me 12 years plus of ownership without a turbo replacement.
• iMT: It takes away the pain point of driving a manual while retaining the fun of it.

Options eliminated (This is my personal opinion, no offence to any owners here)
• All Nissans, Fords, Skodas, VWs.
• Mahindra XUV300:

Options under consideration

• 2020 Fifth Generation Honda City Petrol CVT ZX: The main reason for this post. Over the last few months, I’ve been appreciating this car more and more. The skinny tyres (can be easily upgraded) and the uninspiring central screen are the only negatives. I can live with both. This car is the main reason I bumped up my budget from INR 13 Lakhs to INR 17 Lakhs. It is a comfortable, fun, no nonsense car with sorted fundamentals.

A few more things that might help the Team-BHP brethren to advise me better:
• My wife will drive this car too. I’m guessing a NA (non DCT) powertrain is more conducive to multiple drivers
• GTO’s brilliant post - “How a more expensive car can be cheaper”
If I buy a i20 Turbo DCT and it lasts me 7 years v/s a City lasting me 12 years, surely the initial premium paid will pay off?
• I want my first and last fossil fuel car to give me a simple, fuss free ownership experience.
• I prefer the top and latest version of the car.

• And the only car that I see having this kind of life while still being roomy, relevant is the Honda City.

Where I am looking for inputs:
• Reassurance that I’m on the right track.
• Honda’s future plans in India.
I have cut some portions of your post.
Now read the text in quotes and buy the 5th gen CVT Petrol Honda City

Since you are used to the space, comfort and convenience of Automatic Ciaz any sub 4m car will feel like a downgrade

Only the top variants of XUV300 and Ecosport offer your requirements of isofix, good safety ratings and 6 airbags. Xuv 300 has a miniature boot, while the rear bench of ecosport is cramped. More importantly you have rejected those 2.

And i feel your projected usage doesn't warrant a diesel

So again it's the 5th gen CVT Petrol Honda City

But do note that Indian spec 5th gen city is not crash tested in India as far as I know. (TBHP Members may correct if I am wrong)

Expect an average of 10kmpl in city and 15kmpl on the highways

The future plans of Honda India are a cause of concern. Even if Honda exits India, getting parts won't be a hassle for at least 10 years
Old 10th July 2021, 18:29   #67

Test drove 5th generation Honda City ZX Petrol MT.

With 5 adults in the car, while climbing the ramp (I'd little steep) from building basement onto the road, the underbody scraps.

Plans of many months to book the 5th gen comes to a disappointing halt.

Reading up on S Cross as suggested by many of you.
Old 30th July 2021, 00:54   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
I am owning Honda City(2009) Petrol AT and Tata Nexon(2019) Diesel AT.

- though people talk of service centers, i haven't seen big difference in customer services.

- reliability : Nothing failed in Honda City from past 12 years except wear and tear. Also havent faced any issue in Nexon from past two years.
This is a very interesting perspective. Can you elaborate your experiences with Nexon?

Have you not even faced any niggles on the car so far? You mentioned that the customer service is at par with Honda. Which is the TASS you're dealing with?

I'm in the market for a new car and Nexon fits the bill (hopefully they won't go crazy with the price hike) but what constantly worries me are the niggles. I just won't have the capacity to constantly follow up and fix them. I don't mind a few niggles showing up as long as (a) they are fixed by the ASS the first time I highlight them (b) they aren't issues that affect the safe running of the car.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 30th July 2021 at 00:56.
Old 30th July 2021, 10:59   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
This is a very interesting perspective. Can you elaborate your experiences with Nexon?

Have you not even faced any niggles on the car so far? You mentioned that the customer service is at par with Honda. Which is the TASS you're dealing with?

I'm in the market for a new car and Nexon fits the bill (hopefully they won't go crazy with the price hike) but what constantly worries me are the niggles. I just won't have the capacity to constantly follow up and fix them. I don't mind a few niggles showing up as long as (a) they are fixed by the ASS the first time I highlight them (b) they aren't issues that affect the safe running of the car.
I go to KEY motors in Bangalore for TASS, good SA, good facilities. In 2 years i haven't had to contact TASS except for Services. Haven't even noticed any rattling, which i get in Honda city if i use rough roads. So overall Nexon looks solidly built to last.
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 23:33   #70
BHPian

A bit late to the party!

As a 2014 4th gen City Diesel user, who had driven a 2021 Nexon Petrol as well, which belongs to my mom's cousin, I would prefer going for 5th gen City as it has much better Petrol engine as well as better safety features like 4 airbags, ESC, TC from base model itself as well as better rear seat comfort and space due to increased wheelbase when compared to 4th gen though 4th gen is also same in terms of rear seat space and comfort and never felt discomfort whenever we travel on highways.

I myself was looking for the replacement for our 4th gen City Diesel and had checked each and every so called sub 4M C-SUV's like Nexon and Sonet but none impressed me in terms of rear seat comfort and leg space. Even my mom, who travelled in her cousin's Nexon for couple of times, told that the rear leg space was very poor in Nexon and our City felt much better in this department.

Second option, which I'd recommend is S-Cross, which has better rear seat comfort and space over these so called C-SUV's.

Last edited by car_guy1998 : 25th September 2021 at 23:40.

Most Viewed