Octavia 111 20.59%
Superb 428 79.41%
Voters: 539. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2021, 14:45   #16
BANNED

Re: Same Price | Skoda Octavia L&K vs Skoda Superb Sportline

In the M340i Vs 530D thread I wrote something, will repeat myself again:

"A bigger car is a bigger car, it is bigger because it's built grounds up to be bigger and better"

It's same like choosing a base trim Crysta against a similar priced Alcazar (Since price is revealed now). Everyone knows about the superb and what it offers in terms of absolute comfort - Superb any day! There are a few attributes like mechanicals, overall chassis design, cab design and angles of things, even the suspension too (Until it's air assisted) which electronics simply can't better for the occupants - and that counts, electronics can't improve the space available to stretch after all!

Although BHPians value the performance and driving experience high, but I can see that when it comes to buying the car, the BHPians start seeking the best compromise of everything - the poll results are on the same lines.

Last edited by VKumar : 18th June 2021 at 14:58.
VKumar is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 15:01   #17
Team-BHP Support

Personally, I’d pick the Superb. A full segment higher with added features already mentioned by other BHPians. It doesn’t get the digital cluster though; can’t be a deal breaker yet some may prefer the analog dials.

Man, I can’t take my eyes off the Superb L&K parked at our building premises, every day I walk in:

Same Price | Skoda Octavia L&K vs Skoda Superb Sportline-f15e1be194414616a9daba2a1bfdf409.jpeg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th June 2021 at 15:03.
Gannu_1 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 15:23   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Personally, I’d pick the Superb. A full segment higher with added features already mentioned by other BHPians. It doesn’t get the digital cluster though; can’t be a deal breaker yet some may prefer the analog dials.
The Superb does get the Digital cockpit cluster.

It was only the 2020 L&K that didn't have it. The Sportline always did. Now it's standard on both.
Vid6639 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 01:45   #19
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Superb as that would be the car I would pick up over the Octavia. Both are at the end of the day large cars and wouldn't make much of a difference parking wise. Also most of the places a Superb/Octavia owner will take it to, will most probably have adequate parking facilities. When it comes to looks, design wise I prefer the Superb over the Octavia. The Octavia design language might be the future for Skoda, but it yet to grow on me.

Last edited by TrackDay : 19th June 2021 at 01:46.
TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 06:14   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

At the same price, I would always pick the Superb. Why? It is a bigger and better car, and even if the trim concerned lacks some features like the 12 speaker sound system, what you get as an extra is in my view worth far more. Start with rear seat legroom. Even if 90% of my driving is (or was pre pandemic) solo, the time you really use a car is when you go out with family. And with a family of 5 (including my in laws and my son who is now 5’9”), rear seat knee room is at a premium. While I have not seen the new Octavia, I presume the Superb will still have a little extra width as well. Then add the panoramic sun roof.

The fact is that the only reason both cars are selling for the same price is because the Octavia is fresh off the presses. Within a year, at more normalised pricing, there will be a ₹2-3 lakh difference once again. I have always found buying a brand new model at full price poor value for money, and that gives the other reason for my choice.
Hayek is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 06:19   #21
Senior - BHPian

As a value seeker, definitely Superb. Octavia has lost its VFM tag although it has been magnificently made.
Cant pay 35L and not get a sunroof. Also heated seats are sorely missed.
I thought the India models should offer/cater to the Indian customer base (as per their own vision?).
Zac bhai wants us to bargain hard

Having said that, I am ruling myself out of buying a Skoda. Dont mind paying few more lakhs to grab an A4.
Unless Kodiak offers something unreal.
My duster is getting closer to a refresh!

Last edited by Equus : 19th June 2021 at 06:22.
Equus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 08:12   #22
BHPian

Voted for Superb because it offers more comfort, perceived luxury, big car space and feel with a small difference in driving pleasure. Once you get used to the size of car parking or driving in city will also not be that bothersome.
Most important, from the front it looks way better than Octavia, as to me it's front grill doesn't gell well with the otherwise beautiful design.
Old 19th June 2021, 10:38   #23
BHPian

Voted for the Superb hands down. Going by the reviews, this gen Octavia seems to be a mini-Superb in its driving dynamics anyway - so the only real big advantage it had in outright handling over the Superb is insignificant now. Take that away and the Superb wins in every other parameter, including space, creature comfort, ride and looks. I much prefer the clean timeless design of the Superb over the almost-korean new Octavia.
The extra length doesn't need any extra effort at all in real life - my S60 is more or less the same dimensions as the Octavia, and I find my Superb the same to drive or park in city roads. If anything, the superb (pun intended) ride quality makes it easier to live with on Bangalore's crater filled roads.

A close friend is in the exact same dilemma now. He was keen on booking the Superb sportsline and I had restrained him for the last few months, giving him hope that the new Octavia will be sportier and cheaper as well. But with this new reality, I am actually pushing him to book the Superb sportsline instead.
niranjanrvce is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 22:39   #24
BHPian

I would say Superb.

I drive a Superb, trust me the length difference some of you are talking about is not going to make any difference at all. I switched straight from a Hatchback to Superb, I didn't find it difficult one bit..

With no Sun Roof and Ventilated seats, you are not going to miss much of features in Sportline compared to L&K of Octavia. I agree that Octavia is a slightly better car to drive, but Superb is not far behind. Opinions may differ but I hate a few things on the Octavia such as the front grill, flimsy looking gear selector etc.. Above all the name Superb carries a value (PRESTIGE).

Last edited by ₹itzylove : 19th June 2021 at 22:43.
₹itzylove is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 00:35   #25
BHPian

Voted for Superb

I would personally pick the Superb Sportline over the latest Octavia. The Octavia's L&K variant is overpriced for what it actually offers. It maybe 80 percent of the A4, C-Class or 3 series, but it still misses out those now-neccessary features like sunroof, ventilated seats, headlamp washers, etc. From what I understood, the Octavia really has lost its value for money factor now.

About the Superb, it is not far behind the Octavia in terms of handling and dynamics. Even though the current-gen Superb is more than five years old, it still looks very beautiful to me, especially after the 2020 facelift. Its all black alcantara cabin feels more upmarket than Octavia's dull beige interiors. Also, Superb has more legroom and boot space as compared to that of Octavia.

Even if I spend a couple of lakhs more, I'll get a bigger, better-engineered and well-packed executive sedan. After all, the 'Superb' brand name itself carries a prestigious image in our market. So, I would always pick the Superb.
Shreyfiesta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 09:28   #26
Senior - BHPian

Compact vs midsize competition. Haven't seen/drive these specific models, but going by my prior experience across the VAG group, the step up in space, refinement, and features isn't a big deal unlike the Japanese competition. The Camry, Accord, Altima feel significantly better compared to the Corolla, Civic, Sentra.

Considering that it is a top trim new-gen Octavia vs lower trip previous gen Superb, my pick would be the Octy in this case unless he absolutely has to have the bigger car. (Doesn't seem like that's the case)

Quote:
But I did suggest that the Octavia is "overpriced" at 34.5 lakhs
No such thing as overpriced. Price is set keeping in minds profit targets and what people will pay.

There is no competition for the Octavia - just like the Toyota Innova.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 09:38   #27
BHPian

Skoda Superb it is for me, any day, every day.

But a lot of it depends on what kind of a driver your cousin is. If he is a really, really enthusiastic driver & literally "lives to drive", then he should go for the Octavia. But if he's a person who rather likes to get a better car for the same money, more bang for the buck and just likes to travel in a nice car while enjoying with the family, not very concerned about how tight the car's handling is, then the Superb is a no brainer.
Old 20th June 2021, 10:08   #28
Senior - BHPian

Octavia definitely for me. Octavia will be slightly more fast and with fatter tyres it should handle better too. Superb is too big for my liking and sunroof is not a feature that I would miss. But definitely love the Superb sports line black interiors, hope we get something similar for Octavia soon.
Though Octavia is over priced, for my priorities there is no other car in that price range which is an alternative. Only other car is 330i, but that is a huge gap atleast in Bangalore.
Old 20th June 2021, 10:17   #29
BHPian

I will pick the Octavia any day. It offers much more driving pleasure than the Superb. I feel the latest generation has a lot of features to offer too, though misses out on few essential (according to market needs, not on a functional basis) goodies like sunroof.

The Superb is a car that is intended more for the back seat passenger. If the car is self driven, I see no point in buying it.
Old 20th June 2021, 10:39   #30
Team-BHP Support

Voted for the Superb Sportline. If the choice was between an Octavia Sportline v/s Superb the option would have been different. Size-wise I would say the Octavia is perfect – not small, and not too big. But with the beige interiors it looks way too boring and I prefer the all-black cabin of the bigger sibling (or the brown in the L&K Superb).
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed