View Poll Results: Which one?
Octavia 112 20.74%
Superb 428 79.26%
Voters: 540. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2021, 11:08   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Same Price | Skoda Octavia L&K vs Skoda Superb Sportline

The poll results viz a viz the comments/replies here are out of sync. I almost see an equal number of recommendations in the replies, whereas the current poll output has leaned very heavily to the Superb.

I voted for the Superb.
Old 20th June 2021, 11:09   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Great thread! It is AMAZING that the Octavia and Superb are available at exactly the same price, albeit different variants. Historically, these cars have been at least 5 lakhs apart between the starting variant of the Superb and the top end variant of the Octavia on-road. However, the Superb Sportline is pretty loaded. There is no real competition here - Advantage Superb:
  • The Superb gets a pano-sunroof, reason enough for many to skip the Octavia without a second glance.
  • Very limited FE penalty - The superb does 15.1 KPL while the Octavia delivers 15.8 KPL
  • Much longer range - Superb gets a 66 litre fuel tank versus the Octavia's 50 L - To me this is one of the top reasons to choose the Superb over Octavia - highway range will be almost 200 KM more even after accounting for the slightly lower fuel efficiency of the Superb
  • The Superb also gets the same 8 airbags, virtual cockpit, LED headlights etc. and even gets extras the Octavia does not have, such as the the headlight washers.
  • I would prefer the Black Alacantra Upholstery to the beige one on the Octavia.
  • Better unladen ground clearance on the Superb (156 mm versus Octavia's 137 mm)
  • Wider tires (215) versus Octavia (205) = More Grip
  • Three zone climate control instead of 2-zone
  • Even more boot space - 625 liters instead of 600

The penalty in terms of less driving thrills due to the larger size and softer suspension of the Superb that existed in the previous generation is somewhat neutralized by the the new Octavia due to its comfort-oriented set-up.

Somehow it looks like Skoda has loaded the Octavia L&K and the Superb Sportline identically, except the Canton Audio, the Superb Sportline gets nearly everything the Octavia L&K has and more items like the Pano sunroof. They have kept the 360-degree camera., ventilated seats, boss-button and drive-modes to the top end Superb L&K.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 20th June 2021 at 11:21.
84.monsoon is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 11:41   #33
BHPian

Superb, hands down for me.

1. Panoramic Sunroof ( argument stops here for a majority of people)
2. Bigger car, getting a car from the next segment for the same money. Social status +1
3. Acres of leg room
4. Similar mechanicals so should not be too different when it comes to maintenance costs
5. The Sportline feels much sportier visually
6. Black interiors easier to maintain than the beige ones on Octy L&K
octane_100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 12:06   #34
BHPian

Voted for the Superb (duh!)

While most reasons are already mentioned here, I’ll reiterate some of them and add 1.

1. Segment difference. Superb is well…superb.
2. Space and comfort. Presence. Oonchi maybe the new Lambi but hey… for me a car the size of a house is still all that!
3. Sunroof. Not make or break for me. But it’s such a nice to have.
4. Knobs and buttons. This is a make or break. Thanks drive a lot on highways. Don’t want any unnecessary distractions. This is where it breaks for me totally.
5. No tyre upgrades required. I know it’s a small thing. But I really hates these petty hassles.
6. I like beige but Superb’s interiors feel quite superior.
Annibaddh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 12:08   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't know why this is even a dilemma, that Canton system is overhyped, it is no Bang & Olufsen that I've experienced in VW's true luxury brand Audi, that and Audi's CUBE software enhancement. Even certain Harman Kardons are better. Bose and Infinity are on par with Canton and are available in much cheaper models.

I'll pick the Superb over the Octavia all days of the week, the latter is overpriced by atleast 6 lakhs and should sell in zero numbers.

If the prices and the brand are same and if safety kit is present in both (6 airbags + ABS), I'll take the bigger car, completely ignoring the superfluous features on offer, space and sitting convenience is paramount.
dark.knight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 12:10   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Which would you pick for the same price? The L&K Octavia or the Sportline Superb?
For the family folks, Superb for its overall space. Octavia is little too short when you spend big money.

At this price range, the new Tiguan is a good alternative too.
Old 20th June 2021, 12:22   #37

Wow! The Superb is really killing this poll. But as a current Octavia owner I feel like I have to stand up for the car here.

I had the same dilemma 2 years ago when I made my purchase, as budget wasn't a big limiting factor and I could just as well have gone for the Superb instead of the Octavia L&K.

The Superb does have a halo effect in the market due the value it tends to offer over much pricier luxury sedans. However what clinched it for me was the Octavia drive and the feel of the car from behind the steering in general. Living in Mumbai city manoeuvrability was a consideration and the Octavia does not 'feel' like a big car but the Superb does (this is 100% subjective I understand). Its nimble handling and ability to weave in and out of lanes coupled with its performance made it an obvious choice for me. The Superb on the other hand felt like a big car that I would prefer being chauffeured around in. And mind you I have been driving on Mumbai streets for 25+ years.

My advise, in the end go for what your heart wants. If the car puts a smile to your face every time you sit behind the wheel (or in the back) then that's the right choice for you.

Last edited by vb-saan : 21st June 2021 at 05:38. Reason: Octy -> Octavia
king999 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 12:34   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by king999 View Post
I had the same dilemma 2 years ago when I made my purchase, as budget wasn't a big limiting factor and I could just as well have gone for the Superb instead of the Octy L&K.
Same here!

Big point for us picking the Tiguan over Kodiaq, Laura L&K over the Superb, etc.

For daily driving around town the Octavia would be easier to live with and a whole lot more fun as well, but on the longer trips / family trips there is no matching the Superb in terms of overall comfort.

As an only car : Superb makes choice.
As a second car : The Octavia definitely
lamborghini is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 13:11   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Anyday Superb over Octavia!

If the Octavia is 80% of the A4, C-Class or 3 series, then the Superb is 75% of the A6 and 5 series (excluding the E-Class due to it’s longer wheelbase for India)

Reasons to pick the Superb:

- High mounted central AC vents will actually be more effective in blowing cold air on the face than the Octavia’s very low ones.
What about the ground clearance? Is it the same for the Octavia and the Superb. If so the Octavia would do better over rough roads given it's shorter wheelbase.

Personally the Superb is too long for my tastes especially as a daily driver to be used in a combined urban and highway environment.

Drive on,
Shibu

Last edited by shibujp : 20th June 2021 at 13:14.
Old 20th June 2021, 13:40   #40
BHPian

I would say Superb.
For same price and segment considered, it’s almost always bigger the better. Where Superb loses on few features like ventilated seats, it gains with sunroof.
Sportline variant looks more classy and I prefer the looks of Superb more than Octavia.
Old 20th June 2021, 13:59   #41
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely Superb...
So straight forward I felt the decision would have been that I'm surprised this is even a such split discussion : ()
Old 20th June 2021, 14:32   #42
Senior - BHPian

I don’t know but I strongly believe Superb will be getting revision in its pricing considering Octavia is now in its pricing league and I’m sure it’s going to be a no brained for prospective buyers to opt for a fresh model!

I’d mostly go for Octavia as several others pointed out - fun to drive, comparatively smaller compared to superb. So Skoda is now aiming Octavia as Superb’s successor as its upped the character of it in terms of pricing and Superb will now directly face the big 3’s (not that it wasn’t) but in terms of pricing it’ll be getting a revision, most likely!

Last edited by gururajrv : 20th June 2021 at 14:34.
Old 20th June 2021, 14:57   #43
BHPian

Superb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
When the price is same, I tend to prefer the higher segment car if the car doesn't look ugly - more engineering and thought go into it and that sort of things appeal to me.
Pretty much rounds up my opinion too. I would pick the higher segment as now-a-days cars grow in size and the premium charged for Octavia L&K seems to be steep IMHO. Also Superb is as practical as an Octavia in cities, as it is just as wide as a 500ml Tupperware bottle cap diameter and as longer as the same 500ml bottle itself (I can only find the water bottle before me ).

Same Price | Skoda Octavia L&K vs Skoda Superb Sportline-screenshot-20210620-111444.png
carthick1000 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 15:02   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Great thread! It is AMAZING that the Octavia and Superb are available at exactly the same price, albeit different variants. Historically, these cars have been at least 5 lakhs apart between the starting variant of the Superb and the top end variant of the Octavia on-road. However, the Superb Sportline is pretty loaded. There is no real competition here - Advantage Superb:
  • The Superb gets a pano-sunroof, reason enough for many to skip the Octavia without a second glance.
  • Very limited FE penalty - The superb does 15.1 KPL while the Octavia delivers 15.8 KPL
  • Much longer range - Superb gets a 66 litre fuel tank versus the Octavia's 50 L - To me this is one of the top reasons to choose the Superb over Octavia - highway range will be almost 200 KM more even after accounting for the slightly lower fuel efficiency of the Superb
  • The Superb also gets the same 8 airbags, virtual cockpit, LED headlights etc. and even gets extras the Octavia does not have, such as the the headlight washers.
  • I would prefer the Black Alacantra Upholstery to the beige one on the Octavia.
  • Better unladen ground clearance on the Superb (156 mm versus Octavia's 137 mm)
  • Wider tires (215) versus Octavia (205) = More Grip
  • Three zone climate control instead of 2-zone
  • Even more boot space - 625 liters instead of 600

The penalty in terms of less driving thrills due to the larger size and softer suspension of the Superb that existed in the previous generation is somewhat neutralized by the the new Octavia due to its comfort-oriented set-up.

Somehow it looks like Skoda has loaded the Octavia L&K and the Superb Sportline identically, except the Canton Audio, the Superb Sportline gets nearly everything the Octavia L&K has and more items like the Pano sunroof. They have kept the 360-degree camera., ventilated seats, boss-button and drive-modes to the top end Superb L&K.
You have summed it up very well, and i totally agree with all your points, i will just add my bit to the "driving fun" part here

I have owned both 2nd gen Superb and still own a FL Laura, in terms of driving dynamics contrary to what numbers suggest (weight , bhp/ton) i felt Superb was more fun to drive, specially in cornering dynamics. I have test driven the 3rd gen Superb FL with the 2.0 TSI and i did feel it has gone softer than the second gen, but considering even the Octavia has gone softer this time, i'm guessing it might be even.

My ideal car would be a Superb Sportline, with ventilated seats and a front diff from the VRS.

Either way, my vote goes to the Superb Sportline.
onej_maverick is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 15:04   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post

Man, I can’t take my eyes off the Superb L&K parked at our building premises, every day I walk in:
I agree I saw the Superb the other day on the road in same colour and it looked amazing.

I voted for Superb. Its the next level in almost all the aspect when compared with Octavia.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks