Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2021, 11:30   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Worth spending on the Hyundai Elantra over a Honda City?

As everyone said, the City & Elantra are both low slung sedans.

If it has to be a sedan, I would look at a pre-owned Corolla first; followed by city (since your usage is mainly in the city where the softer suspension and nimbler nature could be easier to live with).
The Elantra is much nicer on the highways and to drive however so if you do take the wheel often, could be worth considering.

Other options I would strongly explore are the S-Cross (one of the easiest cars for seniors in terms of ingress & egress - I would argue that it's even better in this aspect than even the Creta), and Ertiga.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 11:48   #17
BHPian

Stay away from both, if you're buying the car for 77 year old folks.
Buy a Maruti XL-6 instead and let them enjoy a much better sitting position, easier ingress-egress, more space & comfort, along with the best after sales support in the country. The XL-6 is a no-brainer, actually. And not to forget the money you'll be saving.

Other options I would propose: Hyundai Alcazar (Prestige Petrol trim; my 2nd choice after XL-6), Mahindra Marazzo (great discounts going on; my 3rd choice), MG Hector/Hector Plus (really soft suspension; petrol / diesel, your choice).

Don't consider the Seltos because of the hard suspension, and I would buy the Alcazar over the Creta.
Big Smoke is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 12:13   #18

Thank you for the suggestions all, will make them test out the seltos/creta/kushaq as well.
I’ve tried out the XL6 but it doesn’t feel as premium as the other contenders.
vishrutjai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 12:25   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishrutjai View Post
Thank you for the suggestions all, will make them test out the seltos/creta/kushaq as well.
Seltos won’t suit your needs. Ride quality is stiff. Consider MG Hector instead along with the rest.
Old 23rd June 2021, 13:20   #20
BHPian

If the backseat comfort is a priority, I would recommend the City over the Elantra.

However, as many have pointed out, neither of the low slung sedans are ideal for senior citizens. They would be better off with something like the XL6.
Old 23rd June 2021, 14:06   #21
BHPian

From a current owner of a Gen6 Elantra and Ertiga, I would strongly suggest against getting an Elantra (or any sedan for that matter) for your grandparents.

Both the Elantra and City are great cars in their own rights and I have had a good experience with both of them, but they might not be the perfect choice for the intended use. Also, since this is going to be chauffeured within city, one more reason to not go for a low slung vehicle. The Elantra is extremely comfortable after you are seated, but ingress and egress for elderly is a problem. The City is a bit higher, but still not that much.

My grandparents find it more comfortable to travel in the previous gen Ertiga than the Elantra.

So, just like what the other experienced members have suggested here, I would say go for an MPV or a pseudo SUV/crossover.

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
jsrakkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 14:57   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
If 70+ - All the more reason to get something they can just walk into! Low slung sedans are hard on the knees and not very senior citizen friendly.

Compact crossovers (Skoda Kushaq/Hyundai Creta), MPVs (XL6/MG Hector+ - ease of entry and nice captain seats for the middle row as well), tallboy hatchbacks (Honda Jazz) etc make a good case for themselves here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I would strongly recommend the MG Hector to your grandparents. Easier ingress & egress, lovely backseat, soft ride quality and very pleasant interiors.

Agreed with XL6, but not Innova, man. Ingress isn't easy for aged people in most body-on-frame UVs due to their high floor. Source = my 77-year old Mom.
Off Topic: Situations might differ in case of every individual, looking at health concerns. My mom's knees are in a bad shape, where she can't lift her leg to 'step into' even if it is a normal height car. She finds it difficult to step into even Ecosport and Brezza. Creta was a total nightmare for her. Extended family has Scorpio VLX, and that was comparatively convenient as she could use the side step and use it like stairs to get into. That said, again Thar is too high for her despite proper side step. As a result I have to look for either hatches or sedans for her. Thought to get hands on Harrier/Safari as I loved them, but had to ditch for the same reason, monocoque bodies. Compass/Duster with those 'fake' side steps as add-ons aren't ergonmic/useful either.

I'd suggest the Honda City for them.
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 15:03   #23
BHPian

I don't know about the Elantra, but had 4th gen Honda city for near 7 years. My family was extremely disappointed by the rear seat of Honda city. It is very spacious ( for two adults ) and the seat itself is very well shaped and contoured leading for the casual observer to believe that the rear seats of the city are very comfortable. But go for a 300 KM drive and your opinion changes. The spoil sport is the suspension. It is has some weird movement which tires out the passengers. On top of it has poor sound insulation at highway speeds. The City was an eye opening experience for me. And taught me that suspension is more important than seats for comfort. I have heard that the 5th gen City suspension has improved. But I would recommend taking a long test drive in the rear seat before plonking your money.
JediKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 15:18   #24
Senior - BHPian

If your grandparents are being driven, get an crossover something like an Alcazar with bucket seats or Hector plus. They are far more easier than sedan to get in. However, if your grandparents are used to sedan all their life, I would say stick to City or wait for next gen Elantra. The current gen Elantra is not a significant upgrade over new City. Both have their fair share of problems.
Old 23rd June 2021, 17:19   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Be realistic and practical for them, they really need that attention to detail from your side to have a car they truly enjoy, and remember you each time they use it. What you really need is the most comfortable ride quality, that should be your first criteria. The close second requirement is the seating height, ease of seating in and out is also as important as the ride quality. Third is the comfort of the seat itself, in second row offcourse.

Based on these three requirements, the list of cars will entirely change.
Old 23rd June 2021, 17:49   #26
One
BHPian

Quote:
Is it worth spending on the Hyundai Elantra over the Honda City.
In terms of daily practical use in the city, City rear seat is very comfortable and spacious as well as decent enough in city speeds as compared to Elantra.

Quote:
Some Background and Considerations:[list=1][*]Has to be a sedan as it will be used by my grandparents(in their 70s) so SUVs out of contention
I found sedans more difficult to get into and exit, difficult enough for older people with knee/ back issues to not enjoy the car. If after trying it and comparing it to other crossover options they are still fine, then a sedan it is.

If you didn't like the XL6 from a plushness standpoint, try the SCross which has an easy ingress/ egress. But an SCross won't match the interior ambience of even a City forget the Elantra.
Old 23rd June 2021, 18:44   #27
Senior - BHPian

City will be just fine for this requirement and top end city will still be cheaper.

I found Elantra to be very low slung so rear ingress etc might be difficult for elderly(honda isn't great either) also my test drive car kept hitting speed breakers even when I was careful(reason why I went with a corolla over elantra)

But if you enjoy driving, then the petrol Elantra in sports mode is definitely better than city
Old 23rd June 2021, 22:43   #28
BHPian

Elantra is a full segment above Honda City. It will deliver more premium experience compared to City. Its more comfortable suspension wise. Ride quality and feel-good factor are important things to look for, when the need is to be to be chauffered around. City's suspension is a touch too bouncy for a premium sedan.
Old 24th June 2021, 00:04   #29
BHPian

Well if you want a car for city use and you want sedan out of these two then I'd suggest City. The rear seat is comfortable enough and all that bouncy suspension people are talking about is not going to be a big problem for city usage. Elantra is definitely a better car size and comfort wise but you sit lower than City that could be a problem for elderly.

If you're open to crossovers and can stretch your budget a little then try the Compass. Ingress and egress will be easier with good ride quality and safety. You can try the Crysta also which is a good option to be chauffeur driven. Lastly try the Hector. Not a good car to drive but it's a good backseat to be in. No idea about Kushaq but if you can wait for its launch you can try that too.
Old 24th June 2021, 14:02   #30
Senior - BHPian

MG Hector is what you need.

Also I have seen elder people in my family finding ingress egress pretty good in my ecosport, compared to my dad's Amaze. Elantra is even more low slung than the Amaze, so I would suggest you to avoid it. Same opinion about the City.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks