View Poll Results:
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2007, 19:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nischint View Post
go for SX-4 dude..check the pro's and con's you've written about both the cars.SX-4 is much much better than corrola [ thz my opinion].anyways how was the TD ?
My views on TD as from other thread:

Ok, I drove the SX4 finally today and I was dissapointed. Unless for financial reasons, I would be hardpressed if this indeed ends up being my next car... which it very well might still be caz of finances.
Any ways here it goes. As I had shared before, this car is not as roomy as City. The rear can only be compared to likes of Fiesta and Verna. Horrible middle seat for the rear passenger, essentially limits the number of ppl you can comfortably sit in the car to 4. The car comes loaded with features but that doesnt help the fact that its at places built to cost, like rear drums, rear suspension etc.
I drove the car for good 20 km, and the car has decent torque for the city. The clutch is very light, in same league as City. Gear shift is decent. But boy is there engine noise... even at 4k RPM the engine noise is quite intrusive. Braking is excellent, rear suspension is hard. Overall it was like driving a slightly more powerful but noisier Swift for me. Thats how it felt. I dont care how it looked from the outside, but from inside that was my feeling...
Or maybe, since I drove the Corolla, I am finding that other cars are hard to match up to it...

Now I am in Delhi and want to know whats the best deals I can find on corolla here, discounts, etc.
Old 13th May 2007, 08:33   #17

Discounts on Corolla HE is around 30 k now though it was around 45k in april. and on H2 it is 55k, earlier it was 85k
Old 13th May 2007, 09:39   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

hi aseem,

i am in a similar situation as yours. i waited for sx4 eagerly. corolla was no where on my radar (thought it was way out of my budget!). once sx4 was announced i figured zxi will cost upwards of 8 Lacs OTR in bangalore (without leather) and i hear ruomors about great discounts on Corolla executive.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...r-10-cars.html

I have not driven corolla but i have travelled extensively (boss, uncle, etc.) and i know i will never ever regret buying a corolla. every one i know who owns a corolla is a proud owner. dealers can make the experience terrible but the car is always fantastic. now i am talking to Toyota dealers in bangalore. i will post the offers i get in a couple of days. I am confident its price will be less than Honda City Vtec (thats my bench mark)

Of course corolla executive will look very basic inside. Sad but thats why it is affordable to people like me. So its a blessing in disguise. Apart from airbags nothing else is compromized in Executive as far as driving experience and safety features are concerned. (Thank you toyota for the thoughtful cost cutting) Only H2 and higher have good interiors. A new version of corolla doesn't bother me. Not much has happened since the introduction of VVT and ABS (in our budget range). I am buying for long term use (corolla egine can run 400K KM without a rehaul!!)

Bottom line is if ur budget permits SX4 zxi, you should not drop corolla out of budget considerations. Any other reason is alright.. but not budget. Corolla is one of the very few cars that appeal to both emotions and logic!
Old 13th May 2007, 10:06   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
...which car should I go for?...
If you definitely want to make a choice "today", SX4 is the answer. If you can wait till "tomorrow", City is the answer. If Honda upgrades City to Thai spec (I suspect it soon will), SX4 loses its sex appeal. Anyway, comparison with Corolla is pointless (SX4 M-series engine has a lot to prove)...
Old 13th May 2007, 11:33   #20
BHPian

Finally got a chance to drive the SX4. Here are my observations

1. There is only one reverse light
2. There is only one fog lamp on the back.
3. Rear seat very comfortable for 2 fully grown adults (height 5.10), but add a 3rd member and he is in for trouble. The arm rest has spoiled the party.
4. Very nice pickup and beautiful power delivery. Loads of torque kicking in at low rpm's. Minimal gear shifts.
5. Gear shift is good. Positive and nice
6. Very easy to get a good driving position. Tilt steering and adjustable seats.
7. For bangalore roads, i feel it is the right car as it has amazing ground clearence.
8. AC is powerful and there was not much power drop with the AC on.
9. Easily touches 100 in second gear. First gear can easily take you to 60+ on the speedo.
10. When revved hard the engine is buzzy. I have no issues with that.
11. A pillar obstructs a lot creating blind spots.
12. Reversing is a problem as the boot is high.. Low visibility.
13. Brakes have enough bite and can shed speed very fast. ABS and EBD a beauty.
14. I feel the car can easily attain speeds of 170 easily.
15. Pearl metallic white looks gorgeous.
15. I would have loved the spider alloys and body skirts. Hope at least body skirts are a accessory.
16. The car can take normal corners with a breeze. No idea how it will handle high speed corners.
17. The interiors are top notch. No other car from maruti's stable can match sx4's quality. Way to go!!
18. I personally liked the looks of the car. It looks different from other cars on the road.
19. Getting in and out of the car is a breeze.
20. High seating posture is good for night driving. Will have less problem negotiating lorry lights on highways.
Old 13th May 2007, 11:40   #21
BHPian

corolla is the way to go all four disc
125hp 17 sec quarter mile
and when driven with a light foot can give 11-12kpl
magic of vvti
Old 13th May 2007, 12:11   #22
Senior - BHPian

The base model of the Corolla is 10.20lakhs on road in mumbai...and its 8.20 on road for base model baleno...huge difference....iam not sure about banglore...but if your looking for a corolla upgrage in mumbai then it puts the manual civic in sight..even the octi ryder.
Thats the problem you can start with thinking of buying an M800 but when the next model is so close you tend to go higher and higher.
Old 13th May 2007, 13:31   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
The base model of the Corolla is 10.20lakhs on road in mumbai...and its 8.20 on road for base model baleno...huge difference....iam not sure about banglore...but if your looking for a corolla upgrage in mumbai then it puts the manual civic in sight..even the octi ryder.
Thats the problem you can start with thinking of buying an M800 but when the next model is so close you tend to go higher and higher.
They are giving a 50k rupees discount. In Delhi at least the base model comes out to be 9 lakh OTR, this is the discount upfront, havent negotiated much. Plus the rate of interest offered is 6%. SX4 comes out to be 7.4 lakhs on road in Delhi, but to be honest for 1.6 lakh rupees I get a much better car imho. Lets wait and watch, if I am in no hurry right now as I have practically ruled out SX4....
Old 13th May 2007, 13:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

Out of the two i would suggest u a Corolla if u dont mind spending the extra $$$ but its worth it...Also u drive a Swift wouldn't u like to have a much quicker car than that now? SX4 is sluggish even with 100 horses engine...1.2 tonne is the culprit i guess

why not an Elantra CRDi..? VFM n plonk a pete's n u are off whooosshh..!!! CRDi's neck breaking torque.
Ignore this if u are a petrol head
Old 13th May 2007, 13:52   #25
Senior - BHPian

Same here go in for TOYOTA...its a vast difference in term of Quality and almost everything else...The sx4 feels a bit cheap and after all its Maruti..Its doesnt have that Status Symbol that Toyota would give you.
Old 14th May 2007, 11:01   #26
Senior - BHPian

Dear aseem

If you can afford the extra 2-3 lakhs, go for Corolla period. In Delhi, say SX4 is available at around 6.8-7.4 lakhs (on road). Corolla HE is around 9 on road, H1 is around 10.4 on road. As someone said, the difference in Toyota and Suzuki is enormous in general and for Corolla/SX4 in particular. Corolla manual can give you 11-12 on Delhi roads with average speed of around 20 kmph. I am a Corolla owner, and although I was comfortable with a budget of around 8 lakhs for automatic (which was CVT Honda), after driving Corolla/Civic/City CVT, I have now bought Corolla H4 for 12.4 lakhs. OK, another 4.4 lakhs was a huge amount for me, but I get a car that has a extremely great reputation, low maintenance, vastly superior quality than Suzuki can ever hope to achieve, and absolute peace of mind. I knew that a new model was to be launched in 2008, but so what. I need a car now, and at present, Corolla was the best choice for me. Go for the HE/H1 if you can spare 2-3 lakhs extra, and install accessories later.
Old 14th May 2007, 11:57   #27
Senior - BHPian

If you can afford a higher segment car, then why not? Corolla it is for me if I were in your shoes. It boils down to what you need as the specs.. The Corolla Executive has ABS which is a must if I were looking for a new car.. SX4 has that and much more but not the space and the D-segment reputation.. Lastly, make sure to take a test drive of both cars atleast once (if not more)..
Old 14th May 2007, 18:14   #28
Senior - BHPian

If your first importance is economy buy SX4 (compromising other aspects) don't look further.

If you are not bothered about economy buy Corrolla its great car with professional luxury.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 14th May 2007, 18:43   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
Same here go in for TOYOTA...its a vast difference in term of Quality and almost everything else...The sx4 feels a bit cheap and after all its Maruti..Its doesnt have that Status Symbol that Toyota would give you.
There's vast difference in terms of equipment levels you get with both the cars. And please dont get me started on "Status", move out of India and you will know what status corolla has. Besides an objective and intelligent choice here would be the SX4, for 1.6 lakhs less than the base corolla, you get a much better speced car which has better active and passive safety features. You loose out on a bit of space and that fabulous toyota engine, but then you can't get everything. SX4 is a almost perfect, ie for the price its being offered at.
Old 14th May 2007, 19:14   #30
BANNED

well, if its a maruti , you cud atleast get the car serviced by a roadside mechanic , all by yourself . Maruti spares are everywhere , but i wouldnt touch a toyota , honda , skoda just because I do not want to be misled by stupid "standards " of service offered by HOnda or toyota .

Maruti is the Car for india . There are hell a lot of dealerships , and I am suprised that my car service bills are kind of in the region of my bike service bills , lol .

I had a Honda city , which i had discussed in another thread and a relay had failed , but instead of selling spares , the dealer wanted the car to be towed to the dealership for a fuel realy replacement . LOL .

I found a similar type of relay in the market , fixed the problem and sold the car . I had bought the car second hand though .

Hyundai ,maruti are a big sucess because spares are easily avaliable across the spares distributors ,where as the spares of other car manufacturers are not that freely avaliable .

Hope this gives you a better insight .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks