Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results:
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2007, 15:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

Corolla Executive or SX4 Zxi

Guys after driving the Honda City CVT/VTec/Gxi and Corolla, I had pretty much decided to go in for Corolla, due to its torque, comfort, ABS, rear seat thigh support etc. The car came with zilch goodies and the corolla executive after discount came to about 9.2 lakhs on road delhi. The negative part was that the car is going to be replaced next year.

Now with SX4 and its killer pricing the market has totally shaken up. I got a call from the Honda dealer today but they are still not offering any discount on the City and seemed unperturbed by SX4s launch, or at least pretended to be. Now given that SX4 comes at a killer pricing at 7.3 lakh on the road which car should I go for? Here is a list of pros and cons I can think of for both cars...

SX4

Pros:
  • Drop dead pricing!!! Its sweet spot for the pocket. I can buy it 100% cash down
  • Fully friggin loaded!!! Features can put Toyota HE to shame:
      • airbags
      • abs/ebd (present in corolla)
      • steering mount stereo controls
      • 205/60 R15 wheels with alloys
      • automatic ac
      • integrated music system (even if basic)
  • Low cost of ownership being a maruti
  • Latest generation of engine
Cons:
  • No VVT in the engine
  • Uninvolving interiors (I already own a Swift)
  • Rear seat comfort???
  • Road presence??? as everyone would be able to buy this so no snob value
  • High NVH levels
  • Uninspiring engine on the highway with low power to weight ratio
Corolla

Pros:
  • VVT Engine which is responsive as hell (even peppier than Honda Civic)
  • Rear seat comfort
  • Beauty of suspension
  • Higher snob value
  • More comfortable to drive
Cons:
  • No Airbags
  • No integrated music system or remote buttons on steering
  • No alloys
  • No automatic climate control
  • Expensive
  • New model to be out soon
  • Resale??? with new model out shortly???
  • No automatic AC
  • Pathetic steering wheel on the HE model
The interiors allbeit on HE model are somewhat still better than dull boring interiors of SX4.... Its a tough proposition and my hard earned 9 lakhs rupees are on the line. Your opinions would greatly help me narrow it down. I am right now not in India so cant personally check out the SX4...
Old 10th May 2007, 15:54   #2
BANNED

Why not increase your budget & Get civic ? Else If resale value doesn't matter to you then corrola executive is the winner ,it's class above than sx4....if i were i'd buy the corolla .
Old 10th May 2007, 16:04   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Under normal circumstances, I would never want to buy a model that is almost phased out. Did only with the Vtec but thats for different reasons.

Somehow, the Corolla has just never struck the right chord. I would recommend going up to the Civic or down to the SX4. Really cant go wrong with the value proposition of the latest Maruti. Plus you have the latest! Use a little of the money saved on souping it up and you have yourself a stonker.

Last edited by GTO : 10th May 2007 at 18:15.
Old 10th May 2007, 16:49   #4
nbr
BHPian

I woyld recommend u to buy the SX-4 for it is the latest on the roads and offers features which would put some D,C+ cars to shame. Never thought that MUL would be so perfect with the SX-4.
Corolla , though a class above than SX-4 , has lost its charm ,thanx to the entry of newer futuristic models. Another car which can be considered is the CEDIA, which has seen stripped down models recently and holding the fine virtues of decent ride, performance, fe etc.
Old 10th May 2007, 16:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Under normal circumstances, I would really want to buy a model that is almost phased out.
You mean the opposite, right?
Old 10th May 2007, 17:26   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Aseem a poll is what is required for this thread .. PM one of the mods and see if you can get it up and running ..
Old 10th May 2007, 18:15   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
You mean the opposite, right?
Whoops! Yes. Thanks and corrected.
Old 10th May 2007, 18:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

VFM.........definately SX4. Drive both & deciede

Cheers
Old 10th May 2007, 18:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

Go for the SX4 mate. The Corolla is due for model replacement soon, which means higher depreciation in the 1st year itself. The SX4 has a lot going for it...decent power, great interiors and a nice high seating position. Not to mention the Maruti peace of mind...
Old 10th May 2007, 19:51   #10
BHPian

Hey Aseem you can go in for mistubishi Cedia if you are looking for 9 lacs option and really if you are not worried about the second hand value you can go in for corolla ...........

But i would suggest scorpio is good option if you have any interest in the SUV section.........
Old 10th May 2007, 20:22   #11
BHPian

Frankly speaking.. i too am having the same confusion. I have driven the corolla and it is superb. The engine is just gr8. No doubts about it. I completely agree with what ever you have written. I will reply you once i test drive the SX4. Guys please put your views here. It will be really very helpful.
Old 11th May 2007, 11:47   #12

hi

check Cedia. In less than 9 u will get all features ( airbag, wooden panel , stereo, chrome handle and everything else), otherwise upgrade to Civic. meanwhile Corolla is launching a new limited edition this saturday some H7 or something. chk that.
Old 11th May 2007, 13:19   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

The question of "SX4 vs Corolla" or "Sania Mirza Vs Justine Henin" is no brainer in any other part of the world.

You see, in this world there are two kinds of products, my friend.. 1. well marketed 2. well engineered! The well marketed SX4 is no match for a globally proven platform of 1.8L VVTi 125BHP with ABS. Only air bags and alloys are missing in the Corolla Executive - tolerable omissions. Dont mention CD player :-)

I welcome the SX4 because it will force the arrogant Honda City to its knees in pricing and features. And once Honda City makes a compelling offer, it is curtains for SX4. Maruti must sell as many SX4 as they can before Honda makes a move.

Close your eyes and take Corolla Executive. New Corolla model will be more expensive than Civic when launched.

If you are a serious about buying Corolla Executive (in Bangalore) write to me at androdev.at.gmail. Me and a couple of friends have decided to buy Corolla Executive and we are thinking of some bulk discount negotiations.
Old 12th May 2007, 14:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

SX4, for the sheer Value for Money it offers.
Old 12th May 2007, 16:33   #15
Senior - BHPian

I am going to drive the SX4 today, but as of now I just didnt find it as good as Corolla specially rear seat comfort and space.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks