Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2021, 13:05   #16
BHPian

Re: Should I sell my Ciaz MJD and buy a used Laura vRS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Hi

Mechanical work:

3. Water pump - A common sore spot of most VAG cars. Not expensive to replace but very laborious.

4. Oil cooler - Another common sore spot of most VAG cars. Again not expensive but very laborious to replace.

(usually, it is recommended that both the water pump and oil cooler are replaced when the timing chain service is done)
Small correction on the water pump. Unlike TDI water pumps, EA888 1.8TSI water pump have nothing do with the timing system and runs completely independent using a belt drive from one of the balance shaft (on the gearbox side of the engine).

Rightly mentioned that coolant pumps also being notorious to fail, but most common mode is a via small leakage and because of the layout will not create any havoc to rest of the engine. Also not necessary to be replaced along with timing chain job.

Our car's first failure of the coolant pump was in its 6th year. Replaced under paid basis at the ASC. Failed once again in 7th and 8th year respectively, but replaced under the two year spare part warranty. Perhaps workmanship related also, but safe to say the latest coolant pumps part variations aren't trouble free either.
avinash_clt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 14:05   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
Small correction on the water pump. Unlike TDI water pumps, EA888 1.8TSI water pump have nothing do with the timing system and runs completely independent using a belt drive from one of the balance shaft (on the gearbox side of the engine).

Rightly mentioned that coolant pumps also being notorious to fail, but most common mode is a via small leakage and because of the layout will not create any havoc to rest of the engine. Also not necessary to be replaced along with timing chain job.

Our car's first failure of the coolant pump was in its 6th year. Replaced under paid basis at the ASC. Failed once again in 7th and 8th year respectively, but replaced under the two year spare part warranty. Perhaps workmanship related also, but safe to say the latest coolant pumps part variations aren't trouble free either.
You’re right that the water pump is not connected to the timing chain system (it is belt driven, as you mentioned correctly) and neither is the oil cooler.

But the reasons that replacement of these parts is recommended along with the timing chain service are:

1) accelerated wear of these parts upon doing the timing chain and tensioner update - usually happens when one component such as the timing is restored to factory levels thereby levying higher stress on components that have worn to a certain degree. A revised and updated timing chain kit will put added stress to the ancillary parts, now that it’s working at full potential. Peacemeal part replacement or service is never recommended for these cars.

2) accessing the timing chain will require removing several engine components and is labour intensive. Therefore it is recommended that these parts are also replaced at the same time to save labour.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 14:49   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

1) accelerated wear of these parts upon doing the timing chain and tensioner update - usually happens when one component such as the timing is restored to factory levels thereby levying higher stress on components that have worn to a certain degree. A revised and updated timing chain kit will put added stress to the ancillary parts, now that it’s working at full potential. Peacemeal part replacement or service is never recommended for these cars.
Still have to respectfully disagree here.

On the three planes of chain drives on the RH side of the engine (crank-cam timing, for the oil pump drive and for the balance shafts), updating the tensioner/chains/idlers/guides on any of the 'drive planes' will affect connected components. Always good to replace them as a set if you are doing so under paid basis. But I still can't see how of any of these tensioner replacements might affect the working or normal wear of the primary coolant pump. It's wear and tear are completely independent because of the specific layout (and not more than, say, effect on clutch/flywheel or to the alternator/aircon compressor from a timing job).

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4201565 (Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread)

I expect more impact to the cam drive sprockets/variable timing system itself which normally isn't changed with the timing job. Peace-meal repairs are not for these cars or these skilled/complex labour jobs. Doing them together is not an overkill only because of saved labour as you rightfully said below.

Quote:
2) accessing the timing chain will require removing several engine components and is labour intensive. Therefore it is recommended that these parts are also replaced at the same time to save labour.
Agreed. On the transverse layout, getting to the timing side might be easier by lifting/dropping the engine. This makes access to coolant pump much easier, which otherwise while on the car is tucked ridiculously under the intake manifold.

--------------------

Disclaimer: Above are my personal observations after studying the layout/design/wear components of the engine and for a stock car. If in doubt stick to the OEM recommendation as a bare minimum.
avinash_clt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 15:16   #19
BHPian

Since you live in Delhi, one important point to consider is how many years are left for Laura.
Your Ciaz still has some good years left as per the rule. Even if you sell it 2-3 years from now, you wont loose much value. But that may not be the case with Laura. Whatever money you will put in it, you may not be able to recover them.
That would be loosing 5 lacs+ on Laura few years down the line vs max 2-3 lacs on Ciaz.
harmanjeet14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 16:15   #20
BHPian

I'm sure that you've made your decision by now. If not, here's my experience with the Laura.

We bought a 1.8 TSi new in 2012. It's used by my parents and in these years it has only around 30k on the odo. While I do use it for long drives when I go there, it's primary duty is ferrying my parents a few kms across town when they need to be.

Having said that, the annual costs on the car have been going up with age. And the parts are expensive. It was over a lakh last year and that is with very little usage. Since my dad is not very knowledgeable about cars, it's always worked on at the ASS and that could be another reason for the costs. Just this week, he's called me saying that some of the lights in the dash came on when he took it out to get his hair cut and that he would take it to the ASS next week. And in my mind that translates to at least a 10k expense.

But in spite of all this, I will not be selling my car. And that's because each time I take it out I get that feeling in me that only a Laura has given me. And like the old master card ad says - that's priceless.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 25th July 2021 at 09:24. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
SafeDrive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 19:40   #21

Why not get the new models like Octavia/Jetta 2.0 Diesel?

Octavia is airy just like ciaz with better boot and more power.

Laura vrs is just too old, and it's still not a "proper" vrs.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 25th July 2021 at 09:25. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
drumbrakes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 00:24   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
I know exactly what you're going thru. I did some really stupid stuff at your age but the good part is that you have thought of all the angles and by that way answered your own Q. You have money left after the exchange, but, would the reverse be possible ? Don't swap a current model for one that isn't.

Such offers will keep coming your way. Today it's a vRS, tomorrow it'll be something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asif 6959 View Post
A used car is a used car and will come with its own issues. Especially a 90k driven car and on the road for over a decade. You will get a lower run Laura 1.8TSI if at all you are looking for a project car. Else walk away from this.

Rather suggest to pimp your Ciaz with a remap and some basic mods and enjoy it for a few more years to come.
Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
You contradict yourself - talking about savings, frugal lifestyle etc while considering buying an old used Skoda. :P

There aren't better daily driver cars (comfort + nice interior + good NVH + VFM + decent performance + FE + cheap to maintain) compared to the Ciaz. Don't sell it - and don't modify it.

If you need a replacement for your Accord V6, Buy the Laura and consider it a toy (low mileage use for the weekends, late night drives etc), and use the Ciaz for the regular commutes.

If you have other constraints(like garage space), sell the Tata Zest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brohanv View Post
How about something just as fun with a little less headache and potential risks? An S-Cross 1.6 might fit the bill. Similar maruti reliability (Albeit more expensive to maintain), enough practicality to be a fitting replacement to the ciaz and enough Torque to satisfy the enthusiast in you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
Let me make it simple:

Ciaz +ves:
Super reliable.
Economical repairs and maintenance.
Good resale value.

Ciaz -ves:
Just another Maruti.
Boring to drive.

Laura +ves:
Hoot to drive, sometimes this is enough alone.
A much safer car.
Relative exclusivity on the road.

Laura -ves:
Unreliable. It's not a BMW. Even the best maintained Skoda will throw issues at you.
Insanely high priced parts, especially with the country's hate for imported things.
Expect a lead time of 2-3 weeks for even for the most basic parts as they order by VIN.
Service will be cheaper with FNGs but do you really trust them? Will be expensive and time consuming regardless.

I hope this helps
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmanjeet14 View Post
Since you live in Delhi, one important point to consider is how many years are left for Laura.
Your Ciaz still has some good years left as per the rule. Even if you sell it 2-3 years from now, you wont loose much value. But that may not be the case with Laura. Whatever money you will put in it, you may not be able to recover them.
That would be loosing 5 lacs+ on Laura few years down the line vs max 2-3 lacs on Ciaz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
I'm sure that you've made your decision by now. If not, here's my experience with the Laura.
We bought a 1.8 TSi new in 2012. It's used by my parents and in these years it has only around 30k on the odo. While I do use it for long drives when I go there, it's primary duty is ferrying my parents a few kms across town when they need to be.
Having said that, the annual costs on the car have been going up with age. And the parts are expensive. It was over a lakh last year and that is with very little usage. Since my dad is not very knowledgeable about cars, it's always worked on at the ASS and that could be another reason for the costs. Just this week, he's called me saying that some of the lights in the dash came on when he took it out to get his hair cut and that he would take it to the ASS next week. And in my mind that translates to at least a 10k expense.
But in spite of all this, I will not be selling my car. And that's because each time I take it out I get that feeling in me that only a Laura has given me. And like the old master card ad says - that's priceless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbrakes View Post

That is the only reason I posted this query here as sometimes the mind tells us something and the heart something else.

Made the decision to not sell the Ciaz and retain it. Will be keeping it for longer till I am able to afford something fast on my own which will not break the bank and will be something newer and reliable.

Regarding mods,
-I'll save up some money and look for good branded 17 inches alloys with good Pirelli or Michelin rubber.
-Got a few quotes on some bodykits but they were way above my budget so will look at places and get more details on that.
-A remap is something I can go for so I'm currently looking for the best ones for the 1.3MJD. Need it to be faster, easier to drive in city and still have some of that turbo thrust after the lag as I enjoy that. If anyone knows about a tuner for the Ciaz 1.3 MJD, It'll be very helpful.
-Had already installed a module from RD way back in 2018 to auto fold the mirrors on lock/unlock.

Apart from this, the car is stock.

Also, Thank you so much to everyone for their views and sharing their experiences to help me take this practical decision. Regarding the Laura, a friend went and had a look at it and it was showing all the common problems that were listed above and our independent mechanic who works on our E60 suspected almost 1.2L of expenses.

Thank you so much everyone yet again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbrakes View Post
That is very much an option but I cannot afford these cars on my income. I do not want to take money from the family anymore for retaining the Ciaz is the way to go for me.

But soon, Will get something faster and better with time .

Last edited by suhaas307 : 25th July 2021 at 09:25. Reason: Merging consecutive posts
madhav.kaushik is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks