View Poll Results: What do I pick?
5th Gen Honda City V CVT 180 66.18%
VW Vento 1.0 AT 92 33.82%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2021, 19:32   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Deciding between the 5th-gen Honda City CVT and VW Vento 1.0 AT

What this thread hasn’t touched upon are the rampant rusting and water leakage issues that plague the City. My own City has developed many rust patches at different locations. More serious is the water leakage problem that nobody have been able to diagnose or fix, dealer or FNG. 10 minutes of intense rain and the rear left footwell of my car fills up with water. There are so many instances of water leakage reported on the City official review and on the City niggles thread. City’s water leaking problem is like Hyundai brake issues or Maruti’s dangerous power steering behaviour or VW’s diesel injector and DSG issues. These are well known problems that the company refuses to officially acknowledge and fix, while people keep ignoring and buying in blind faith.

VW, on the other hand, provides a multi year corrosion warranty on its cars. I am yet to hear of any instance of water leaking into the cabin or a Polo or Vento.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 9th August 2021 at 19:38.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 20:01   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for Vento.

Given the preference for highway driving, I urge you to take both the cars on highways and floor the pedal where there is no traffic.

You automatically will choose the Vento.

City is a glorified Ciaz, ie, a very spacious and comfortable A to B car with below average build quality.

PS: I will also recommend my personal lusty favorite- the Montecarlo rapid tsi.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 9th August 2021 at 20:04.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 20:02   #48
BHPian

Quote:
More serious is the water leakage problem that nobody have been able to diagnose or fix, dealer or FNG. 10 minutes of intense rain and the rear left footwell of my car fills up with water.

I was facing same issue with my Jazz. The below mentioned link should help you if you are in for little DIY.

It really works!

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th August 2021 at 13:51. Reason: Fixing quote tag, please Preview post before Submitting. Thanks.
dpat17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 20:17   #49
BHPian

Voted for City.

Only for driving pleasure, anyone would choose Verna / Rapid. Age old interiors would surely be a turn off if driving with the family and we dont want to talk about their service centres for god sake. Sedate driving, Reliability, Comfort are all pointing towards City. For the peace of mind, choose City.

If you are ok with Pre owned space, i would recommend Yaris / Camry which has all the things you require and fantastic T badge reliability. But beware of the current seller's market and negotiate hard!!!

Happy driving...
niceguisuku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 20:45   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post

City is a glorified Ciaz, ie, a very spacious and comfortable A to B car with below average build quality.

PS: I will also recommend my personal lusty favorite- the Montecarlo rapid tsi.
Agree that City has come closer to Ciaz is many aspects including looks, but City MT is faster than Polo on a track, I'm sure that surprised Autocar as well.

I personally find it difficult to drive iVtec due to their poor gearing and low end response for city traffic, so perhaps VW is the better highway machine of the two, yet to try the new TSi engine.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 21:36   #51
Senior - BHPian

I have voted for the City. If you are looking for ownership experience with your heart, then it's the Vento for you. For everything else (especially the peace of mind experience) there's the Honda City.

I voted for the City because I drove it recently. My in-laws have purchased a Honda City V-MT variant last week and it's really fantastic to drive. No wonder, that many people still purchase it, in spite of its shortcomings.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 22:17   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
In summary, these are my requirements:

1. Safe, stable car for highway trips with solid build and good ride quality
2. Maneuverable in the city (i.e. not too big)
3. Airbags, ABS, EBD, ESP, any other safety features
4. Automatic
5. Supportive seats at the front and back with decent legroom and under thigh support
6. Not very particular about feature such as sunroofs, touchscreens etc. (I have had no issues in terms of navigation or music with my phone, a phone holder and some decent after-market speakers)
7. Not too much more than 15L on the road (I have a bit of flexibility but not too much)
If you have dropped Hyundai because of safety, then no point considering these cars as well. Both cars are not crash tested. If safety is on top of your mind (as in your first post), why assume?

Go for a proven product - Brezza, Nexon or XUV300. If I was in your place, would have bought a Brezza eyes closed. You are used to owning a Maruti, and the car will give you peace of mind coupled with decent highway manners.

As far as I have heard, Honda’s after-sale service is rapidly going downhill. Volkswagens are supposedly a pain for longer tenure of ownership. Look elsewhere my friend, you are spoilt for choices!

PS: I voted for CITY because there was no ‘Others’ option.

Last edited by warrioraks : 9th August 2021 at 22:19.
warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 23:18   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer23 View Post

Coming to OP's query, get a rapid/Vento or a Kushaq. You can wait for the upcoming Skoda sedan too, life is too short to drive boring cars.
So you are saying that 45 year old Vento design is not boring ? Just curious.
Rakeshmbalaji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 23:46   #54
BHPian

If I had to choose between City and Vento, given the 7-8 hour drive, I would pick Vento any day. The City doesn't fare well on road noise insulation and the unsettling feeling that the passengers feel at high speed when you go over flyovers. Like some folks have mentioned, do test drive both the cars on the highway to decide which one you like.

Since you are planning to keep the car for 7 - 10 years, picking new or almost new makes the most sense. Vento might feel dated after 5 years. Given your budget, I would also recommended test driving the Nexon Diesel AMT and the Taigun 1.0 Automatic. If you have senior citizens who will sit in your car, they will thank you for the ease of ingress and egress.

I would also recommend to be open to go pre-owned, that way you can own a nice car for next 5 years and switch to something new then. Used cars like Corolla Altis and the Diesel VW/Skoda automatics might be worthwhile checking out.

Good luck!
pradeepkc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 09:08   #55
BHPian

City. Go for it. I loved Vento's drive a little better, but overall the City is a better package. Even if you decide to stretch your buying time-frame and wait for Vento's replacement or new product, going by the VW group's recent pricing strategy, it seems unlikely that their Automatics will land in the budget you mentioned especially if we consider TN's road tax.
AnnaRocks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 09:32   #56
Senior - BHPian

I own the Vento 1.2 TSI DSG highline plus model. I also have lot of experience of Honda City (previous gen) both as driver and passenger. And I own the previous gen Jazz as well.
So, I feel I am am qualified to provide my 2 cents here.

Almost 2 years back, I was in a similar situation and I bough the Vento knowing fully well that it was almost a decade old model. The main reason for choosing the Vento was I wanted a fun-to-drive automatic car with a decent feature set and frankly, no other car came close to the performance offered by the 1.2 TSi-DSG combo. The Honda City CVT is decent for sedate driving or cruising but it just fails miserably in comparison to the Vento when you want some fast overtaking or just want to have some fun for the sake of it

I know that VW has replaced the 1.2 TSi-DSG with 1.0 TSi-TC but what I have read is the 1.0 TSI is very close in performance with the 1.2 TSI and the TC is decent as well. The 1.2 TSI will offer better refinement and low-end driveability though. But I am sure that it will be much better than the City CVT for any sort of spirited driving. Now, you have to decide whether the performance offered by the City CVT is acceptable to you. For me, it was not and hence, it was an easy decision.

Apart from the performance, few pros and cons of each car

Vento over city
  • Better road and wind noise insulation, big factor is highway drives. Vento gets full wheel cladding for both wheels, City does not
  • Better high speed stability and better ride quality, again matters in highway drives
  • Some unique features like all 4 power windows one-touch up down with anti-pinch.
  • Vento has much better paint quality, I have seen Honda paints chip off slowly with all the small stones hitting the car at speed.
  • Full LED headlights with dynamic range control (not sure if City V has full LED headlights)

City over Vento
  • Much more spacious, can carry 5 adults. For 4 adults and 1 kid, I did not find Vento cramped and there is enough legroom, though less than City.
  • Reliability- I think this is obvious but VW has improved the reliability of the DSG gearbox though City will provide more peace of mind for sure.
  • Overall better quality and premium feeling cabin. Vento has an outdated dashboard design and several elements which look out of place in today's times like the pathetic cabin lights console, all halogen cabin lights, outdated MID etc etc. You have to decide whether you can live with these.
  • City obviously has a more new-age design but I think it's a matter of individual choice.
  • Also, City has sunroof and some other comfort/convenience features which Vento lacks.

---------

I hope you will find this helpful. Let me know if you have any other questions.
adimicra is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 12:04   #57
BHPian

Voted for Vento.

As a I owned a Polo and now drive a Rapid, i can for sure tell that even a POLO can put to shame many contenders from other segments. Rapid has firmer suspension setup compared to Vento, so i think Vento will be even more comfortable on long highway drives.
any23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 13:06   #58
BHPian

In the sedan segment in that range, it's just the City that will suffice your needs. The peace of mind, good proven engine and better second row seats.

City is much better in stability on Highways than Seltos, Creta and similar other SUV's due to lower center of gravity. But just check the appropriate Tyre size and you are good to go.

I have not driven Vento, but the design is too old for today.
sensible_driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 13:35   #59
BHPian

Considering the fact that you live in Chennai and Coimbatore, I don't think the service will not be a problem even if you opt for either of these two.

As an overall car, City is a good choice provided you are okay with flimsy sheet metal and construction quality. Everything else in the City is superior to Vento/Rapid minus the driving feel. City feels plusher, feels more luxurious, more space, probably a better service network, a much newer design, and less complicated engine, and probably slightly better fuel-efficiency.

Whereas the Vento/Rapid offers unmatched build quality in the segment, less flashy, very well put together, things are built to last and a better feel for the driver. I think the acceleration is better in the Vento/Rapid compared to City if I remember correctly and if it does matter.

On the flipside, Vento/Rapid aftersales might be a hit or miss. I think that is the same with all manufacturers including Honda, nonetheless. The service interval on VW shall be 15,000 / 1 Year and I assume it is 10,000/1 Year in the case of Honda cars. Also, personally, I don't think there will be a huge cost difference in the servicing / ASS of these cars. Whereas in the case of Honda, the parts availability might be better compared to that of VW.

The sheet metal on the City is very thin and not to my liking. If you are okay with that, then you shall also consider the CIAZ. That certainly has a better service network than Honda/VW no matter what.

As far as I know, the VW Vento / Skoda Rapid shall be at least 3 lakhs cheaper than the City.

If I was in your position, any day I will buy a Vento/Rapid over City. In fact, these cars are better than the Compact SUVs as well, provided you do not need massive ground clearance.

My vote is definitely for VW / Skoda provided you are the one driving.
igemini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 13:44   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
In summary, these are my requirements:

1. Safe, stable car for highway trips with solid build and good ride quality
2. Maneuverable in the city (i.e. not too big)
3. Airbags, ABS, EBD, ESP, any other safety features
4. Automatic
5. Supportive seats at the front and back with decent legroom and under thigh support
6. Not very particular about feature such as sunroofs, touchscreens etc. (I have had no issues in terms of navigation or music with my phone, a phone holder and some decent after-market speakers)
7. Not too much more than 15L on the road (I have a bit of flexibility but not too much)

I am leaning towards a petrol AT because I want to keep this car for 7-10 years and I have heard (maybe this is wrong?) that petrols age better and have lower long-run maintenance costs.
Let's do a points based comparison where the car that meets one of the above mentioned requirements gets a point. In the end, the car having more no. of points would be the winner of this the contest and would suit you the best given your requirements.

1) Safety, stability and solid build quality are some of the features that a Volkswagen Vento is known for. The Honda City is known for it's stability and ride quality but in comparison with the Vento, it loses out on aspects like highway stability and build quality while safety still remains like a debatable part for the City (I believe that if the Vento and City are crash tested by the Global NCAP then the City would fare no less than 3 stars while the Vento would achieve close to 4 stars).
  • So, the Vento gets 1 point here.

2) Dimension vise the Vento (3390mm x1699mm) is shorter in comparison to the City (4549mm x 1758mm) and the turning radius of the Vento is 0.1m shorter than the City (5.2m vs 5.3m). So maneuverability vise, the Vento would fare better as compared to the City in the city.
  • So the Vento scores another point here.

3) Safety vise, both the cars are equipped with ABS, EBD, ESP, BA, HHC and TC. The key differentiator here is that the City gets the middle rear headrest, middle rear three-point seatbelt, child seat anchor points and TPMS while the Vento misses out on these equipments. The Vento gets an electronic IRVM while the City has to let do with a manual IRVM. I don't consider this as major win for the Vento as the electronic gizmos can be retrofitted in the car later on.
  • So, the City gets 1 point here.

4) The City's 1.5L NA engine is paired with the 7-Step CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) while the Vento's 1.0L Turbocharged unit is paired to a 6-Speed TC (Torque Converter). Gearbox vise, the City's CVT is a smooth shifting one and Honda has done a great job over the years to reduce the rubberband effect that is associated with the CVT gearboxes but in comparison to the Vento, the TC fares far better cause the shifts are quick and the power is available at the tap as the gearbox knows it's job well.
  • The Vento gets 1 point here.

5) When it comes to the seat support and comfort, the Honda City easily aces over the Volkswagen Vento as the City's seats provide better lumbar and under thigh support at the front while the rear bench is comfy and has a good recline angle. This is an area where the Vento really starts to show it's age.
  • The City gets 1 point here.

6) When it comes to modern-day features, the City is literally loaded upto the gills and this is evident when you see that the City's Base Model is more feature rich as compared to the Vento's Top Model even though both the cars belong to the same segment. The City loses out on some features like Led Headlamps, electronic IRVM and stuff but still, I feel that the City is a more well packaged car when it comes to the features.
  • The City scores another point here.

At this stage, the Vento and the City are neck on neck as both the cars have equal score. City (3 points) vs Vento (3 points).

7) This is a point where the on-road price of the car would decide the winner of the contest. Ex-showroom cost vise, the Vento is priced at Rs. 13,83,000 while the City is priced at Rs. 12,54,117 (these figures are quoted by CarWale website at the time of writing this comparison). But in reality, the Volkswagen would throw a 1 lakh rupees discount on the ex-showroom price to make it a tempting buy.

Finally, I would conclude this comparison by saying that it literally depends on you. If you like the looks of the Vento and can bear the aging body, low resale value and high maintenance costs then go for it, else get the City.

One thing to note is that, for us Team-Bhpians, the City rules on our Heads, while the Vento rules on our Hearts .

*Currently, I am a newbie. So if I made any mistakes while writing this post, feel free to correct me.

Happy Motoring.

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th August 2021 at 13:51. Reason: 2 smilie per post please.
Pedalmasher_20 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed