View Poll Results: What do I pick?
5th Gen Honda City V CVT 180 66.42%
VW Vento 1.0 AT 91 33.58%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2021, 14:24   #61
BHPian

re: Deciding between the 5th-gen Honda City CVT and VW Vento 1.0 AT

Thanks everyone for all the really detailed opinions so far. Also thanks to the mod who added the poll to this thread.

I have a lot to think about. For various reasons, we will only be taking the test drives in early September but will probably purchase immediately after that. I have a month to stew on it without actually driving any of the cars

The emergence of Kun Skoda in Chennai to provide an alternative to Gurudev Motors further complicates the choice, as I can probably get the Rapid for at least a lakh less than the Vento.

Based on factors such as back seat comfort, I am certain my family is going to heavily favor the City, although my mom really likes cars where the doors close with a thud noise so she might like the Vento/Rapid. Will update this post through the test drives and hopefully the purchase very soon.
Goldenboy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 01:58   #62
BHPian

Re: Deciding between the 5th-gen Honda City CVT and VW Vento 1.0 AT

I voted for the Honda City.

Why:

The reliable and proven engine.
Space.
I love, love, love the new Sokai cockpit. The uncluttered view is a sheer delight.
Also, we have a 2012 City in the fam. Has done umpteen long drives.
All we did was upgraded her to Michelin XM2's and good quality engine oil. Just goes on and on.
Personally find the space in the Vento cramped, headroom especially.

If you can get a good deal on it, nothing like it.

Good luck!
coolmel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 02:15   #63
rkw
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
I have another question. I am planning to pick up an extended warranty on whichever vehicle I purchase. Are these warranties valid across cities (e.g. you buy the car in Chennai, will dealers in Coimbatore accept it)? Also, similar question on service (will free services be honored regardless of the city, or can I only get it done at the dealer from whom I purchased the vehicle)?
I never had to think about this previously as I was mostly in Chennai, but now I am confused as to where I should actually buy the vehicle.
Extended warranty & free services are valid & honoured in all authorised service centres across the country. No worries on that. You may register your car at the place where you have a address proof. It is better if the address is a permanent type.

I will surely recommend the Honda City. Have a 3rd generation one in the family (Dad's car) which is a gem of a car. Have done innumerable highway trips. Extremely stable in 3 digit speeds. But I don't have experience being at the back seat though none in the family ever complained.
In fact, I feel body roll in my Creta on highways which is non-existent in the City.
rkw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 16:09   #64

Putting my two cents here.
City, for its reliability, affordability, new-generation technology. Vento for sure is better to drive but VW as per my experience is uncertain to live with, expensive to maintain which defies the purpose of a highway cruiser.

Pros for Honda: Proven, reliable, butter smooth and efficient. In addition to all these 7 years, an extendable warranty is something that is icing on the cake.
Feedback calls from Honda are taken very seriously and they do make sure to call you after every service.

Cons for Honda: Road noise, highway instability which can be arrested by the use of better tyres like Michelin should arrest the road noise and upsizing the tyres should make City as better handling (personal experience).
Prone to rusting, haven't found any solution to this problem: Frustrati

Pros for VW: Ride quality, stability and fun factor to drive
Cons for VW: Hit or miss aftersales, reliability is a big question.
ajs85 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 19:56   #65

This is my first post and I cannot vote. But my vote goes to Vento/Rapid.

I have driven my in-laws Honda City(2011) and my Rapid Ambition 1.6 TDI(2012) extensively. I drove the Honda City to Pondicherry, Coorg and occasionally to my old office in Whitefield. There is a Vento in the family which I have driven as well. The City has covered a bit over 15k kms and it still has the new car smell. The car is parked indoors most of the time. The Rapid has covered 99k kms and is exposed to the rain, sun, dust, pigeons etc.

It may not be the right comparison as one is a petrol and the other is a diesel. Also, I cannot comment on the newer generation of Honda City. Here are my views based on my experience with these two cars.

Service: Honda City requires service center visits every 3-6 months and it is not cheap. Every time I go in for service, the service advisor reminds me that I have maintained the car well and always searches for rusts. The Rapid on the other hand can run up to 15000 kms/1 year between services. I have had good and bad experience in both and hence the service center experience in both has been more or less the same. I cannot comment on the spares cost as no major parts have been changed in the City.

Build: Rapid wins. All the panels of the car are solid. In Honda City, try closing the boot door and you will realize how flimsy it is. I have had my fair share of accidents in both. The Rapid doors have withstood multiple hits from my garage gate (closing due to the wind while parking) and still didn't get any dents. The paint from the gate was transferred to the car.

Reliability: Unlike some other comments in this forum who believe Honda to be more reliable than Skoda cars, in my experience my Rapid has been reliable so far. In the recent past, my starter motor gave up in front of a Maruti Service center and had to be towed. That was the only day in the entire 9 years of ownership, I got this thought that I should have bought a Maruti instead. The starter could have given up as I have driven multiple times in water logged roads. I do not know the reason for the failure. In the City, during one of my trips, the front passenger floor mat got wet. I had to stop in a petrol station and remove the mat from the car and dry it for a while and then resume the journey. The A/C drain pipe was clogged and it was cleared by the service center. The problem hasn't shown up ever since. I searched online and it seems to be a fairly common problem in Honda cars.

Highway: I would pick the Rapid any day for a highway drive. It is easy to overtake vehicles in Rapid. The driver seat of the Rapid is more comfortable than the City. The City driver seat lacks under thigh support. I am not sure if the seats are better in the newer generation City. The Rapid feels planted and is more stable on the highway.

I love the silence of the City petrol engine vs the TDI, which sounds like a tractor (only for people standing outside). City was a pleasure to drive in Bangalore traffic. But every Kilometer driven in the TDI has been exciting and absolute pleasure, especially on the highways. I had taken a test drive of the 1.0 TSI last year but it was a short one, so I cannot comment on the acceleration or highway performance. But going by our official review and Powerdrift drag race, Vento/Rapid still beats Honda. If you really don't mind the dated interiors, go for Vento/Rapid. I personally prefer the grill of the Rapid over the Vento.
rjtourer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 08:09   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EshanS View Post
I would also suggest Ciaz Manual, the car has a good amount of features and is on the same safety rating as the ones mentioned above. I drive one, and it comfortably returns around 24 to 25kmpl on the highway and around 20kmpl in the city, and it's cheap to maintain as well.
This FE you mentioned I guess must be either for the diesel Ciaz or the smart hybrid one. If you're deriving this kind of FE in a petrol Ciaz, I'm enrolling myself for driving lessons with you

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 13th August 2021 at 08:10.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 10:32   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
This FE you mentioned I guess must be either for the diesel Ciaz or the smart hybrid one. If you're deriving this kind of FE in a petrol Ciaz, I'm enrolling myself for driving lessons with you
Hi Bibendum,

Sure, no worries my fees would be butter chicken meal after every drive.

Yes, I drive a manual petrol Hybrid Ciaz (Alpha). At times, I have seen 28/29 kmpl as well. The Ciaz is very sedated on highways, the cruise contol adds to the cherry on top. I mean I find it extremely luxurious at the back for parents who are around 5.8 to 5.11ft tall. It's not a fast drive kind of car, but wherever you need to be it will go the distance in utter comfort. Proof is that they sleep off at times in the back.

I'm attaching some images of the FE which my wife took while driving. The best part - you don't need to break the speed limits to achieve the best economy.

It's slightly underpowered compared to City, Verna, Rapid, Vento, or Yaris but it's a no-nonsense car for city and highway use. In addition, the points system in Nexa ensures I get a free servicing every 3rd one for points accumulation, even your insurance renewal adds bonus points which can be redeemed during servicing. In these two years, maintenance has never gone above 6 to 7k which is quite economical if you ask.

Also, it's got 4 star safety rating. I wouldn't comment much on this because I don't believe in any safety rating done in controlled environment without consideration of external factors for the version you plan to buy.
Attached Thumbnails
Deciding between the 5th-gen Honda City CVT and VW Vento 1.0 AT-img_20210808_170849.jpg  

Deciding between the 5th-gen Honda City CVT and VW Vento 1.0 AT-img_20201229_195026.jpg  

Deciding between the 5th-gen Honda City CVT and VW Vento 1.0 AT-img_20200829_115632.jpg  

Deciding between the 5th-gen Honda City CVT and VW Vento 1.0 AT-img_20210808_172044.jpg  

EshanS is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 11:50   #68
Senior - BHPian

Loved the last picture

My comments were in jest, knew it had to be a hybrid to have such FE . Glad to know Ciaz is keeping you happy on all fronts.

OT: Has the Indian Ciaz been crash tested? Are you referring to the 4 star rating for the Indian version. If so, I'm reading it for the first time and never knew it.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 13th August 2021 at 11:58.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 12:08   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtourer View Post
This is my first post and I cannot vote. But my vote goes to Vento/Rapid.

I love the silence of the City petrol engine vs the TDI, which sounds like a tractor (only for people standing outside). City was a pleasure to drive in Bangalore traffic. But every Kilometer driven in the TDI has been exciting and absolute pleasure, especially on the highways. I had taken a test drive of the 1.0 TSI last year but it was a short one, so I cannot comment on the acceleration or highway performance. But going by our official review and Powerdrift drag race, Vento/Rapid still beats Honda. If you really don't mind the dated interiors, go for Vento/Rapid. I personally prefer the grill of the Rapid over the Vento.
I second @rjtourer on most observations, but can't comment on the service part. A 350km highway drive in 3yr old 30k run MPI Rapid AT was much less tiring than the 200km highway drive in 4 yr old 40k run Honda city. The engine is a bliss but the road noise, not so accurate steering and body roll were cons with the CITY.

In fact I nursed a dream of upgrading to CITY for 5 years I owned my I20. Atlast when I had a Highway run on the newly bought CITY(2017) of my cousin, I felt the drive and interiors were so inferior to even I20(2013) and started searching for sedans other than city and ended up with the Rapid.

Last edited by aadya : 13th August 2021 at 12:10. Reason: corrections
aadya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 09:35   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Just a note on Honda City on highways:

The engine is outstanding. If you are skilled and aggressive enough to maintain 3500+ RPM, you can sustain 120-140-160 speeds with this engine and can overtake cars with incredible urgency. Much more expensive cars can be humbled by this car on highways thanks to the engine and lower power to weight ratio. Of course, you have to be driving alone ;-) because your passengers will be unnerved if you are shifting at 5000+ RPM. It's incredibly fun to rev it hard to humble those Fortuner guys who think they got a fast car. It can do sweeping highway curves at max limit due to low GC and nicely balanced chassis - I always make it a point to do so to remind those trailing Fortuner guys why I bought a low GC sedan. It is an amazingly well-engineered car - super reliable too.

However this is not a good "family" highway car. It is more of a "track-mode" highway car - you will have to keep the engine on the boil all the time and avoid final gear if you want to keep pace. It feels as if everything is working near the limit. FE will be very poor. My experience is with 5sp TC AT and I don't think CVT will do such a good job. I say it is not a good family highway car because it is very noisy, bouncy, inadequate brakes, etc. - VW does exceptionally well in this department.

PS: nothing personal about Fortuner folks, just adding some 'masala'.

Last edited by androdev : 14th August 2021 at 09:40.
androdev is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 19:24   #71
BHPian

Wanted to update this thread as it has been a while.

I have not had a chance to drive a Vento or a Rapid. The main reason is a lack of dealer enthusiasm. I submitted inquiries online with Volkswagen and Skoda, but received no response from VW. One Skoda rep called me and said we have only the Monte Carlo AT available, so test drive it only if you are prepared to buy that. They also pushed Kushaq. I called another VW dealer, and they said Vento has long waiting periods and color choices would be limited and the test drive car isn't available. I have not followed up further. Ultimately, the feeling I got is dealers are not looking to sell this car, and so I didn't really want to go for it.

I have test driven the following cars (all petrol AT):
1. City
2. Verna
3. Creta
4. Nexon

These were my feelings and those of the family on each:

City: Very plush inside, but there is an inherent lightness to the build quality that is very noticeable. I do also wonder how the car will age, as a 20,000 km sample we test drove was much less premium feeling than a newer one (4k kms) from another dealer. Very spacious, but the rear felt a bit bouncy at times. In terms of the drive, it felt very responsive. The CVT feels powerful enough for overtakes.
Verna: Very poor back seat, dropped purely due to that. The petrol CVT felt a little more sluggish than the City CVT, although nothing you cannot live with. Felt better built than the City, but smaller. The sunroof is purely cosmetic, the salesman was embarrassed when showing it.

Creta: The DCT was nice to drive. Good acceleration although I felt a bit of a judder on some speed breakers. This was not a car we were seriously considering, just a car the salesman asked us to drive to get a feeling of how the turbo petrol Verna DCT would be. We took the test drive on a hot day and the ventilated seat feature was very useful (it is really needed I feel with the leatherette seats). I wish the City had the feature on the top end leather seat models.

Nexon: By some distance, the best built car I drove! Every one commented on how solid it felt, and the ride felt very planted. Even at speed on average roads, you have a feeling of stability I felt was missing in the bouncy City (Creta and Verna were not bad in this aspect, no complaints). Space is also reasonable, 4 can sit in comfort and the boot is decent. The big downside is the gearbox. The AMT was a joke in Eco mode, and jerky at low speeds in City mode. It is all right in Sport mode though (I felt that should be the default). The salesman told us this is a new car, and the other modes will be better once the engine sets (the TD car had run only 700km, not sure if what he said was true). I did feel it would be a smooth highway cruiser though.

In summary, the family is all for choosing a top end Nexon. I myself am confused. I much prefer the build and even dynamics of the Nexon, but the gearbox is definitely inferior to the City’s CVT. As I said, the Verna is not in contention, and nor are the Vento or Rapid. Going to stew on it for a week or two. May also TD the Nexon a couple more times to see if I can get some more clarity.

Very happy to hear any thoughts or suggestions.
Goldenboy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 07:07   #72
BHPian

Quote:
In summary, the family is all for choosing a top end Nexon. I myself am confused. I much prefer the build and even dynamics of the Nexon, but the gearbox is definitely inferior to the City’s CVT. As I said, the Verna is not in contention, and nor are the Vento or Rapid. Going to stew on it for a week or two. May also TD the Nexon a couple more times to see if I can get some more clarity.

Dad drives a Nexon too and uses it for his 200km roundtrip with 70% on highways everyday. He has already clocked 70K in 2.5 years. One of the best built cars in that price bracket and it's a great highway mile muncher. Great torque for those overtakes and the suspension setup makes the car feel planted at high speeds. And it scores high on safety too. You won't go wrong with Nexon for sure. The AMT does take time to get used to. Dad has no issues with it. Since I drive it occasionally, the AMT gets on nerves sometimes, mainly because of my driving style. If you are a sedate driver, it should not be a problem. Good luck with your search.
pradeepkc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2024, 14:28   #73
BHPian

Quote:
What did you buy eventually and what's the verdict on that car?

Most Viewed