Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2007, 17:50   #1
BHPian

Need Some Help!!

It is sort of complicated these days to decide on a good saloon to buy. I am on the lookout for a 4 door saloon now, m upgrading from an hatch back. Here;s what I have shortlisted so far:

Toyota Corolla
Skoda Octavia
Honda Civic

The maximum I am looking to spend is 15. I prefer good interiors, reasonable mileage, good amount of power obviously....and good shelf life. Ride quality isnt a major issue but I am also thinking about modify the cars factory provided audio system. So a good boot is favourable too.

I am really happy with my present car, I've been using it for more than 8 years now and it still gives me 8-10 to the litre and I expect nothing less from the car I will buy. The chevy optra is out of the question since it looks like its been through a slaughter house.

Please advise. The choice isnt very hard, I just need another opinion.
Old 24th May 2007, 10:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

How much will the car run during the month, where will it run primarily, on highways, in the city or off-roads. Who will drive the car, yourself or a driver. Answers to these will help in the suggestions.
Old 24th May 2007, 11:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

Ankur , which car do you have right now ? That would be helpful to know the kind of driving exprience you have had with the present vehicle.

Last edited by sammyboy : 24th May 2007 at 11:22. Reason: add text
Old 24th May 2007, 11:29   #4
BHPian

The most obvious choice in this class would be the Civic.
However, you might want to take a look at the Octy RS.
Take a TD of both and let us know.

PS - Octy has a huge boot, but Civic doesnt.

Last edited by goldie_malhotra : 24th May 2007 at 11:31.
Old 24th May 2007, 12:02   #5
Team-BHP Support

Corolla : Bland
Civic : The intelligent sensible choice, its a honda after all
Octavia RS : Within your budget, big boot, very fast. Very expensive spares too. Make sure you don't drive very rashly

In the end all three are good cars. So buy what you like. Skoda will be best for your ICE needs. Biggest boot I think.
As you have 15L to spend Corolla is a segment lower.
Have you considered the Sonata diesel? It will give you 12/liter on the cheap fuel. Zero snob value.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 24th May 2007 at 12:03.
Old 24th May 2007, 17:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

Octavia RS is a brilliant car with a big boot for your ICE setup. It sure has it's strengths in terms of what you want but the Civic is a much newer car. I guess the Octy will have a performance edge over the Civic but in everything else the Civic is a much much better product. I would'nt even look at the Corolla because it's just not my type of car. If it was me, it would be as simple as driving into a Honda dealership with a cheque in hand.
Old 24th May 2007, 17:28   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

If it was me, then my heart says an Octy RS and mind warns it should be a Honda Civic
Old 24th May 2007, 17:50   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Have you considered the Sonata diesel? It will give you 12/liter on the cheap fuel. Zero snob value.
Are you sure? 0 snob value?

For me, it looks better (IMHO) and bigger (defenitely) than a Civic!!!
Old 24th May 2007, 22:43   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
How much will the car run during the month, where will it run primarily, on highways, in the city or off-roads. Who will drive the car, yourself or a driver. Answers to these will help in the suggestions.
I am expecting around 20,000 km a year easily. Usually its city use, but I do make trips out of the city about 3-4 times a month easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Ankur , which car do you have right now ? That would be helpful to know the kind of driving exprience you have had with the present vehicle.
At the moment, its a Zen Classic. U remember what it looks like?? I have seen very few of these on the road since it was introduces.

That car has some history to go with it too. I learnt to drive in that car, its been completely drowned during the torrid rainfall in july. I've slapped some sense into so many cyclists and rick drivers, its great in the city for a night out..........i can go on and on ...

Also, I never want to go for a diesel. Since I am a bit if a POWER fanatic, and diesels are always just for fat lazy ppl :P.....no diesel for me. I never liked the sonata before and I dont like the new model as well. In fact, I would rathr loose a leg than drive a sonata..:P:P

I am hugely impressed by the looks and the design of the civic. Anybody know how good the paddle shift gears are on the civic automatic? I really like the concept, but its no good if its.kind-off....flappy ....u knw....

Last edited by tsk1979 : 24th May 2007 at 23:51.
Old 25th May 2007, 00:01   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_fox View Post
I am expecting around 20,000 km a year easily. Usually its city use, but I do make trips out of the city about 3-4 times a month easily.

At the moment, its a Zen Classic. U remember what it looks like?? I have seen very few of these on the road since it was introduces.

That car has some history to go with it too. I learnt to drive in that car, its been completely drowned during the torrid rainfall in july. I've slapped some sense into so many cyclists and rick drivers, its great in the city for a night out..........i can go on and on ...

Also, I never want to go for a diesel. Since I am a bit if a POWER fanatic, and diesels are always just for fat lazy ppl :P.....no diesel for me. I never liked the sonata before and I dont like the new model as well. In fact, I would rathr loose a leg than drive a sonata..:P:P

I am hugely impressed by the looks and the design of the civic. Anybody know how good the paddle shift gears are on the civic automatic? I really like the concept, but its no good if its.kind-off....flappy ....u knw....
You can also check out Fiat Palio 1.6. Its best for power fanatics.
Old 25th May 2007, 00:17   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_fox View Post
Since I am a bit if a POWER fanatic, and diesels are always just for fat lazy ppl :P.....no diesel for me.
do you mean to say diesels are slow and sluggish in this day and age? that would be very untrue unless, ofcourse, you've been living under a rock for the past few years.
try and test drive some of the newer diesel's introduced in the market and you'll see they've come a long way from being slow, sluggish, dirty and wheezy.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th May 2007 at 00:21.
Old 25th May 2007, 01:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
You can also check out Fiat Palio 1.6. Its best for power fanatics.
Are you serious ? the man has a budget of 15 lakhs & wants a sedan. he could buy 5 palios for that price & not worry about spares as he could always mix & match between the 5 cars.(i am exaggerating & i hope there will be no fiat vs others fight here in this thread also).
Old 25th May 2007, 11:34   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
do you mean to say diesels are slow and sluggish in this day and age? that would be very untrue unless, ofcourse, you've been living under a rock for the past few years.
try and test drive some of the newer diesel's introduced in the market and you'll see they've come a long way from being slow, sluggish, dirty and wheezy.
and i would even go beyond and say that diesels are almost if not more powerful than petrol cars. A simple example, would be that a viva crdi can "almost" beat a Skoda 1.9 TDI and price segment of both these cars are way different.

I have read that somewhere long back in some article, so please dont hold it against me if i am wrong
Old 25th May 2007, 12:41   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_fox
Also, I never want to go for a diesel. Since I am a bit if a POWER fanatic, and diesels are always just for fat lazy ppl :P.....no diesel for me.
What??? Try driving a skoda Laura or Verna... You will know what a diesel torque is ! Coming back to the topic , Civic sounds perfect for your requirement. Corolla and Octavia RS are old and gonna be modified soon. So go for the latest car if you are planning to keep the car for a long time.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th May 2007 at 02:14. Reason: editing quote
Old 25th May 2007, 13:13   #15
BHPian

I am actually a little surprised by the diesel uproar. Hey, its cheaper to run too. Hmmm.....lets see.

Fiat is no good.....cause its a fiat. Also, I dont like the looks of the verna. I was shocked to hear that is was the car of the year. I wanted to cut my leg of and beat myself to death.....but then i need it cause me no likes automatic.

The 1.9 skoda is giving me goosebumps already. Got to test drive it.

Any news on how good the paddle shift gears are on the civic? Any opinions on that?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks