Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2021, 13:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Upgrade from VW Polo GT AT | Honda City or Skoda Superb?

Honestly after driving Polo GT, City will not be fun to drive by any means. I have driven City latest gen and beyond 120 the car doesn't inspire confidence at all. It feels light and bouncy. And that iVTEC engine was the glory of past, in current situation even 1 TSI is better performing than iVTEC (again depending on the preference that each will have)

Between Superb and Octavia, considering fun to drive factor, I would suggest new Octavia. Recently got a chance to drive that car and its really fun and fast (slightly below previous gen though). The interior reeks of quality too. Lack of sunroof is a let down, but if that is really not a deciding factor you should test drive that too.

Between Superb and City, its a no brainer and would have clearly said Superb. But if your plan is to buy a Big 3 in couple of years, you could actually get a City now and buy one of these luxury in 2 years.

Though personally I would still pick an Octavia / Superb over current gen C Class / A4. And 3 series over any of these.
sunikkat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 22:23   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Upgrade from VW Polo GT AT | Honda City or Skoda Superb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Honestly after driving Polo GT, City will not be fun to drive by any means.
I agree, the new Honda s are no match for the GT TSI. The Superb might be a natural progression as well. Check it out before the plunge
headers is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 05:27   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post
I have a 1.2l 2013 Polo and its hands down a better engine than 1.5l City however one can argue that City is fun to drive between 40-80 kmph and in the city which is your major use case.
Yes City's usage would be 90% in city traffic and this is the car that driver would get if I buy one. At 17 lakhs City seems like a great package giving you good drivability in city, good mileage, good reliability, amazing leather seats with superb back support and a v big boot. Yes it feels light, but would that matter in Mumbai traffic drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Seems like yet another perfect case for recommending the all new but used Honda Civic I have been recommending this to anyone considering buying the new City or spending more on an entry level luxury barge.
Yes, did not think of this. Not sure how many new Civics were sold. I believe finding a used one may be tough. But space is not an issue in City and so I do not see a point in buying a bigger car with similar boring dynamics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
Issue seems to have resolved itself (also check Elantra in factory stock), who knows what all enticing permutations can arise with "let me do whatever I want" in 2023
"Whatever I want" applies only to my car purchase and that too within legal family budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Though personally I would still pick an Octavia / Superb over current gen C Class / A4. And 3 series over any of these.
What would be reasons to suggest Superb over A4? Size of the car? I test drove both and A4 felt way more fun to drive. If both are available at same price, I will probably pick A4 and let the 5th passenger suffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I agree, the new Honda s are no match for the GT TSI. The Superb might be a natural progression as well. Check it out before the plunge
I test drove Superb yesterday and it felt very nice. Polo is gone and there is no point for me to compare it with City now.
manish84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 06:52   #19
BHPian

From an enthusiast angle, I won't say a City would be an upgrade from your Polo DSG. Having driven them both, the City is no match for the driving dynamics of Polo. And CVT vs DSG? There's no point in comparing the two I guess when it comes to the fun to drive part. I'd pick an infamous DQ200 anytime over a CVT (if its for my personal use ). Quick question though, you had trouble free 6 years with the DQ200 already, then why avoiding it now? Hope it's just the peace of mind aspect. If at all moving away from DSG, I would suggest pick one with the good old TC boxes. It's not at par with the DSG experience, but miles ahead of the CVT ones.
bhp_maniac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 10:07   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish84 View Post
[*]Buy a Honda City ZX CVT today and I buy a pre-worshipped BMW/Audi/Merc in next 2 years. We will keep both the cars as my wife would primarily use Honda City (this is the car driver gets in future) and I will have a FTD car for myself. Honda City would cost about 17-18 lakhs and a pre-owned luxury car would cost 40 lakhs.[*]Buy Skoda Superb for 40 lakhs today and this is the only car for family. On days when we need second car, we will take an Uber or figure out what to do in future (maybe buy a used small car as a beater).
Your budget is wide (higher side being more than double of OTR cost of Honda City) and IMO, that's what is causing the dilemma because the cars you have shortlisted are poles apart in terms of every factor except both being sedans. My reco is if you are unsure about Superb, then you can safely go with Honda City ZX CVT. Looks like your wife has also liked it. I own the 5th Gen ZX CVT and it is a very spacious and comfortable sedan. The CVT is convenient in stop-go traffic. GC shouldn't be of any concern. Honda has worked on the suspension and it shows. I have taken the car on uneven roads with 4 adults & a full boot and the car hasn't bottomed once.
sam264_2000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 10:49   #21
BHPian

Just to clarify, I have sold and handed over my Polo GT yesterday. So Polo is out of picture and currently I am without a car. Now I need to quickly decide between Superb or City (or any other car).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam264_2000 View Post
My reco is if you are unsure about Superb, then you can safely go with Honda City ZX CVT. Looks like your wife has also liked it. I own the 5th Gen ZX CVT and it is a very spacious and comfortable sedan.
I agree with you. We loved everything about Honda City including the VFM feeling if one keeps aside the comparison with better gearboxes. The mental accounting I am doing to make peace is that my wife would pay and buy it in her name. I would just borrow it till the time I buy what I really like
Old 12th November 2021, 10:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

What would be reasons to suggest Superb over A4? Size of the car? I test drove both and A4 felt way more fun to drive. If both are available at same price, I will probably pick A4 and let the 5th passenger suffer
From my limited drive of new Octavia and more than 200+ kms drive of new A4, I felt new Octavia is more agile and fun to drive. And in Bangalore even with discounts in A4 I am sure difference will be minimum 6+ lakhs. Also I really liked the interiors of new Octavia and sunroof is not a deal breaker. So will choose Octavia over A4 anyday. But straightaway upgrade the wheels and upsize the tyres for Octavia, as stock looks undersized.

Only reason for me to pick Superb over Octavia is if I need more space and the VFM quotient. And Superb beats A4 too in both space and VFM (subjective). So Superb over A4.

Thing is personally I wouldn't like to carry the baggage of brand unless spending that extra money gives me proportionate increase in performance and overall feel. So I am not ready to spend extra 6+ lakhs over Octavia for Audi, but I will happily spend ~ 20 lakhs over Octavia to pick a 3 series for it's better engine (petrol), RWD, fun to drive and overall character.

Now these are all personal preferences. Someone might find the brand value of Audi worth additional 6, 10 or even 20 lakhs. So suggest to shortlist based on your priorities. End of the day all these have same engines and more or less same driving characteristics.
sunikkat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 09:50   #23
BHPian

An update on the car search.

Test drove Octavia yesterday, drives very well but did not like the black roof liner or the Spartan centre console. Without the gear stick, it feels like something is misisng. I am very clear about Superb L&K (need non black interiors) over Octavia.

Interestingly took a TD of BMW 330Li too. Now this is way over my budget as it's 60+ lakhs. Only saving grace could be BH registration which optically reduces the upfront cost and also halves the 15 year registration cost give time value of money. Not getting mouth watering disocunts on BMW. 330i is not available and 300i M sport (again black roof liner) is too close to 330Li. But I loved everything about the 330Li. I am also checking with Navnit and Infinity about used BMW around 40 lakhs but less than 3 years old.

These are the first times I test drove an A4, Octavia, Superb and BMW 3 series RWD. I liked all 4 in terms of driving pleasure and all have significantly better driving experience than my, now sold, Polo GT. I would be frank that I could not appreciate rear vs forward wheel drive in city traffic of Andheri. I would believe what I have read on tbhp that RWD is worth the money. But in case of A4 vs 330 Li, price difference is more like 15+ lakhs. Does it make sense to add 330Li in contention or stick to City vs Superb and A4?

You may feel my choices are all over the place
But I can afford all these cars and the confusion arises from the fact that heart takes over in evening visits to showrooms and mind takes over the next morning. The story repeats every weekend

Last edited by manish84 : 14th November 2021 at 10:12.
manish84 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 10:59   #24
BHPian

Another summary of my current top choices with OTR, warranty and AMC put together.

Upgrade from VW Polo GT AT | Honda City or Skoda Superb?-screenshot-20211114-10.58.41-am.png
manish84 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 11:05   #25
BHPian

Dear Manish84, You could consider the Toyota Camry as an alternative. Reliable, Easy on the petrol (a must these days), has most of the bells and whistles you are looking for. Have a look in the showroom
pd1108 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 13:50   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Cars in contention
  1. Skoda Superb - I like driving dynamics and space. It seems VFM for the price.
  2. Honda City – My wife and I both like Honda City as it has everything that we require except for FTD factor.
Final options
  1. Buy a Honda City ZX CVT today and I buy a pre-worshipped BMW/Audi/Merc in next 2 years. We will keep both the cars as my wife would primarily use Honda City (this is the car driver gets in future) and I will have a FTD car for myself. Honda City would cost about 17-18 lakhs and a pre-owned luxury car would cost 40 lakhs.
  2. Buy Skoda Superb for 40 lakhs today and this is the only car for family. On days when we need second car, we will take an Uber or figure out what to do in future (maybe buy a used small car as a beater).
Since you have taken TD of the Superb- you sound very impressed with its driving dynamics and as an overall VFM car, so go for it eyes closed. But before you do that I suggest going through this thread to gain some pros and cons on the car from their owner's perspective. Here is the link (Skoda Superb : Official Review).

Another thing to note here is the sub 40-lakh sedan segment is a dying breed with FTD sedans only being available in the Skoda stable. So you are looking at the right car. Plus after you get this one and still feel that it is getting cumbersome to drive in the city, then you can always get a second beater car. That being said, in 2-3 years down the line when you plan to upgrade to a German sedan there will be a couple of things that will be in your favor-

1. Chip shortage will be over, so no feature deletion and better bargaining power.
2. More new models could be available.
3. You can always look to the pre-worshipped route considering you will be having an almost brand-new car at your disposal if anything goes wrong.
AROO7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 14:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another summary of my current top choices with OTR, warranty and AMC put together.
Since budget is not a problem here I would go for 330Li.

Also, except Honda City, I wouldn't suggest any of these cars as the only car in your garage. You would definitely need a beater car - depending on the purpose a hatch, sedan or a compact SUV.

So you will have to either buy a City now and later one of the big 3, or you would end up picking another smaller car later if you put your big money on Superb / A4 / 330 Li now.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 15:40   #28
BHPian

Hi Manish!

Just out of the blue, how much are you willing to pay for a 2015 WCOTY Mercedes C- Class 220 CDI? It is about to touch 70,000 km. It gives 17.8 kmpl mileage with 70-30 city-highway usage. It sometimes gives mileage of around 26 kmpl on Nashik-Mumbai highway, to and fro. It sprints from 0-100 in 7.5 seconds. It has touched high speeds on the Mumbai Pune Expressway courtesy my big brother but we vowed never to pull such stunts again (An Innova consistently being driven at high speeds and teasing us was getting on our nerves, it was 'Smoke him! moment from '"The FnF''. Anyways, it is a solid car (touch wood, fingers crossed).

I have similar dilemma like yours. We had a C- Class, i20 combo and i20 was sold recently. Before we could find a replacement, Dad now feels like selling C- Class too and find a City-Innova combo or City-Alcazar combo, something of that sort before next upgrade. I am glad he is not getting the right price for C- Class. So I thought let's make hay while the sun shines and ask my fellow BHPian/s Manish about whether he'd like to make and offer (hopefully one I can't refuse )

Also, to keep it short and sweet for you, go for City now and pre-worshipped car amongst German trio 1-2 years later. I am saying this not because it serves my purpose but because that way you will give yourself some time and observe how our country's economy is shaping up. Whether you really need another car or perhaps an SUV in case of World War III and other such apocalyptic events.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 14th November 2021 at 16:22. Reason: Please refrain from posting about speeding on public roads. Removed the relevant bits from the post. Thanks.
Excommunicado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 17:03   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excommunicado View Post
Hi Manish!

Just out of the blue, how much are you willing to pay for a 2015 WCOTY Mercedes C- Class 220 CDI?

Whether you really need another car or perhaps an SUV in case of World War III and other such apocalyptic events.
Thanks for the offer to sell but in pre owned I would never buy more than 3 years/30000 km old car especially in big 3 brands. I am an optimist and won't take decisions assuming such extreme scenarios. Nonetheless the gist of various suggestions here point to starting with a new City and then take it forward. Still not convinced though.
manish84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 18:12   #30
BHPian

I would recommend you to wait a little and get the Skoda Slavia and save the money for a future used luxury car.

Salvia would only be a little more costlier than City top end but if you pick 1.5 TSI AT , it will be leagues ahead of City in FTD dept.
divyadeeptsi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks