Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2021, 20:37   #1
BHPian

Upgrade from VW Polo GT AT | Honda City or Skoda Superb?

Hi fellow bhpians, I am in a dilemma on which car to buy next and looking for different perspectives to decide.

Current car

I have been driving Polo GT DSG since 2015 and I am in absolute love with this car. Even after 6 years, the car still puts a wide grin on my face when I floor the accelerator. It has been a niggle free happy ownership for 6 years (covered in warranty throughout, used it only for ABS sensors). However, due to space constraints, I am now looking to upgrade to a bigger car. I have been able to sell my Polo for a good price and now need a replacement before Dec end.

Requirements from new car
  1. Has to be an automatic – my wife is absolutely clear about it being an AT and I cannot disagree on this given the traffic situation in Mumbai
  2. Loads of space in rear bench and boot – this is the top requirement for my upgrade
  3. Fun to drive – given I am upgrading from a GT, the next car has to be FTD. I have 2 options in my mind as detailed below to tackle this requirement
  4. Should be driver friendly as we intend to keep one in next 2 years – same requirement as loads of space
  5. New car – my wife is not comfortable with a pre-owned car, but I am (leading to 2 options detailed below)
  6. Sunroof – Not sure how much useful it is in India, but I want my next car to have this feature as I believe that it adds to the feeling of space inside the car.
  7. It should be car that I can own for 8-10 years – though I love my Polo, part of reason for selling it is fear of DQ200 failures
  8. Usage - 90% city usage
  9. Budget – under 40 lakhs

Factors that do not matter
  1. Fuel type – could be petrol or diesel
  2. Body type – sedan or SUV (but I could not find any SUV and hence posting in Sedan thread)

Brand/car considered and rejected
  1. Maurti S-cross: Only car worth considering in Maruti stable. I bought one for my father in Dec last year and quite like the car on occasional drive. However, it does not have any excitement factor and do not want 2 same cars in the family
  2. VW – Taigun has pathetic interior plastic quality and T-Roc is too cramped in rear bench. Vento is just an extended Polo. So, no car from this brand. I do not want to wait for Tiguan as I have read it has stiff suspension.
  3. Skoda - Kushaq has poor quality and Octavia lacks sunroof.
  4. Tata & Mahindra – Both options are rejected owing to brand. Maybe XUV700 but we need the car now and cannot wait for months.
  5. Hyundai & Kia - Both options are rejected owing to safety concerns and lack of exclusivity. Tucson was tested but the interiors are outdated and new one is already available globally.
  6. MG – Test drove the Hector CVT and the engine response was too poor. Also, long term reliability is unknown for this brand.
  7. Toyota – Only over-priced Fortuner fits the bill as rest are now rebadged Maruti. I do not see value in buying a Fortuner and hence I have rejected it.
  8. Jeep – I like the Compass diesel AT 4x4 but again do not see value in paying 32 lakhs for it. Jeep felt like a car which I need to use a lot on highway or off road to justify my purchase. Though the car was nice, I am unable to get my head around paying so much money for this car.
  9. Audi – Took 2 TD of A4 and blown away with the driving dynamics. The 2 issues with it are lack of space in rear bench (it is mostly a 4-seater due to center hump and AC vent) and pricing. I missed the crazy Sept-Oct deals and now paying 25% more money seems foolish.

Cars in contention
  1. Skoda Superb - I like driving dynamics and space. It seems VFM for the price.
  2. Honda City – My wife and I both like Honda City as it has everything that we require except for FTD factor.

Final options
  1. Buy a Honda City ZX CVT today and I buy a pre-worshipped BMW/Audi/Merc in next 2 years. We will keep both the cars as my wife would primarily use Honda City (this is the car driver gets in future) and I will have a FTD car for myself. Honda City would cost about 17-18 lakhs and a pre-owned luxury car would cost 40 lakhs.
  2. Buy Skoda Superb for 40 lakhs today and this is the only car for family. On days when we need second car, we will take an Uber or figure out what to do in future (maybe buy a used small car as a beater).

While the 3rd option could have been buying a Honda City and keeping my Polo GT until I find a replacement, this is off the table as I have already sold my Polo. I do not want to decide solely for financial reasons as I am comfortable in spending 40-50 lakhs today if I get the value for the money spent. Please provide your suggestions on how I should tackle this dilemma. Is there any other worthy contender that I am missing out? Am I not clear in my head on my requirements?

Last edited by manish84 : 10th November 2021 at 20:41. Reason: Added usage to requirements
manish84 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 21:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Upgrade from VW Polo GT AT | Honda City or Skoda Superb?

As I understand, you sell the Polo and get two cars to replace it (right away, or in stages) and have about 40-50L to spare, and want value for money and fun to drive.

If you can live without a sunroof in sunny-India, an option could be an Octavia and another smaller car (possibly with a sunroof) - a hot hatch, or a more comfort based one as per need.

Another wave of Corona might just be one new virus variant away, making uber/ola an avoidable option.

Edit: Do you see the Honda City as fun to drive after being used to the Polo?

Last edited by Poitive : 10th November 2021 at 21:49. Reason: Typos, added a point.
Poitive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 21:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

Suggest you wait for the upcoming Skoda Slavia. It's going to be a paradigm shift from the Vento Rapid brigade. Launch isn't far of if you can hold out a little longer: my two cents. That said I can say Honda City is a safe buy as I've one for the more than 4 years in the CVT guise is an absolute nirvana in dense traffic conditions.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 10th November 2021 at 21:43.
Durango Dude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 21:51   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Suggest you wait for the upcoming Skoda Slavia. It's going to be a paradigm shift from the Vento Rapid brigade. Launch isn't far of if you can hold out a little longer: my two cents. That said I can say Honda City is a safe buy as I've one for the more than 4 years in the CVT guise is an absolute nirvana in dense traffic conditions.
Waiting for Slavia instead of City would not make sense to me. One, given the Kushaq pricing, the Slavia pricing would 20+ and then it would come with DQ200 which I do not want. Between the two, City is a clear choice and definitely a keeper for 10 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
If you can live without a sunroof in sunny-India, an option could be an Octavia and another smaller car (possibly with a sunroof) - a hot hatch, or a more comfort based one as per need.

Edit: Do you see the Honda City as fun to drive after being used to the Polo?
Octavia also has low GC which is an issue. I sat inside one and the rear bench gives a sinking and bucket kind of feeling. Between Octavia and Superb, I am clear about choosing Superb as it is more future-proof due to larger space.

City vs Polo - I have taken a TD of City CVT and it was okay. But I am banking on oddles of tbhp praise for VTEC plus paddle shifters to give me the kick at times when possible. Otherwise for most city traffic, City CVT or Polo DSG does not really matter. Also in case I buy City, I would buy a FTD car for myself in 2023.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th November 2021 at 05:40. Reason: Back to back posts merged
manish84 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 22:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

You like your cars and you like to drive them and drive them with enthusiasm. The rear space cars are always a compromise on the enthusiastic drive factor as they are assumed to be chauffeur driven and emphasis is given on comfort. So you will have to make some sacrifice on either of the sides. Test drive cars suggested in this thread by different people and make a decision as our opinions are just opinions.

My opinion list has Honda city 1.5L, Toyota Camry, Volvo XC40, Volvo S60, Ford Endeavor(if u can find one).

Skoda superb is awesome but in the end, it is still a Skoda. If Skoda is ok, I am tempted towards the VRS and not the superb.

Good luck with your decision and with that budget I personally cannot think of a Honda or Toyota, to be honest.
VW2010 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 22:00   #6
BHPian

Go for the Honda City eyes closed! It’s an ideal Indian car to be chauffeured in and go for a pre worshipped German later. Meanwhile, I would also suggest you to TD the Innova Crysta GX AT, as it’s price is a but more than the City’s and provides Excellent Value in long term, it’s also better to drive than the City CVT. (I have owned both)
QuentinTino is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 22:05   #7
BHPian

I'd suggest you get the City now and later on, get a pre-owned German luxury car for yourself.

IMO, buying a Superb as the only car doesn't make sense.
car_guy1998 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 22:06   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish84 View Post
[*]Honda City – My wife and I both like Honda City as it has everything that we require except for FTD factor.
Keep the Polo. You are not going to get another car like Polo DSG now or in the future. DSG repair, if required, will cost a lakh or two (cushioned further by a potential good will discount from VW). It is a car absolutely worth keeping, especially in a well-to-do household that is looking forward to buy 40L+ cars. You can argue that the resale value of Polo will plummet and it is not worth getting the DSG fixed by paying so much money. My point is it is a truly one of a kind car that will not be made again in our market. Of course, if you wish to sell it for other reasons like the car not being in good nick and showing age, etc then it is understandable but I would not sell it just because of DSG fears.

Anybody who is considering a new Honda City should consider a pre-owned Camry Hybrid. You might get a 5-6 year old Camry for the price of new Honda City. You don't have to break your head to buy a used Camry - just call up the pre-owned division of Toyota dealers and in a city like Mumbai, they will be able to get you a car in great condition. You may have to pay some premium compared to private dealers but you will get a car with 100% known history. There is no other pre-owned luxury car that can be purchased by regular folks who don't like taking chances with used cars.

New Superb is also a good choice but I would rather do a Polo + pre-owned Camry for now and get a BMW in future.
androdev is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 22:29   #9
BHPian

Might be an odd option, but did you consider a Endeavour? Though Ford has stop the manufacturing in India, they are not shutting shop completely. You might be able to get some great discounts as well.
KaandBaaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 22:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

City vs Superb is straight forward decision but your plan to get one the big 3 German cars make the decision bit complicated. Get City CVT now and I am sure driving the boring/practical City will expedite your German car plan.
Latheesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 22:39   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Keep the Polo.
I also think the same and in fact VW even offered me the 7th year warranty (was under warranty for all of 6 years). Primary reason to sell was that I really do not have time to deal with breakdowns, fight was rightful warranty claims etc. Also I have agreed on a deal and though handover has not happened, I have received the monies. I do not think it is fair to go back on the promise now. Also, I am looking it at another way - Polo is wonderful but why not get myself something new and better. Why not get more flavors and enjoy more cars while I can?

Slightly OT: Test drove Superb today and even though on paper the engine specs of A4 and Superb are identical, Superb did not feel as good as A4. Is it rest of the car or something else? Or am I mistaken - they are identical?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaandBaaz View Post
Might be an odd option, but did you consider a Endeavour? Though Ford has stop the manufacturing in India, they are not shutting shop completely. You might be able to get some great discounts as well.
My wife is not in favor of a used car in case that is the only car we buy. If I do not buy a car of common liking, she would buy a Honda City for herself and let me do whatever I want

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
City vs Superb is straight forward decision but your plan to get one the big 3 German cars make the decision bit complicated. Get City CVT now and I am sure driving the boring/practical City will expedite your German car plan.
Haha. Like the clarity of thought on self inflicted pain to hasten the decision. I am also hoping that post my Polo handover this week, my decision to buy some car would expedite.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th November 2021 at 05:38. Reason: Back to back posts merged
manish84 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 23:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Octavia also has low GC which is an issue. I sat inside one and the rear bench gives a sinking and bucket kind of feeling.
Like you, I too place much emphasis on basic cabin and seat comfort.

Further, cars with a low centre of gravity have an inherent advantage and give a different kind of joy. Coupled with a suitable suspension, they are often much fun around corners. That confidence to swerve when needed allows much fun. They may also offer a better overall ride+handling experience.

I personally don't fancy the idea of driving a Superb, as it gives me the feel of being a chauffeur; to me, it comes across more as one to be driven in, than to drive.

Though haven't had any serious comparison - I suppose an Octavia would be a lot more agile than the Superb. Would be good to hear other's views on it.

Quote:
City vs Polo
No offence to those who like the City, but to me, except for it's first low CoG iteration, the tall-boy-ish versions weren't FTD enough, especially cornering confidence.

Maybe your best combination, as you already said, is to have a City now and a FTD car later - German or other.

All the best for your selection, mate.

Last edited by Poitive : 11th November 2021 at 00:09. Reason: Spellings/typo, Added a point (Superb)
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 00:38   #13
BHPian

Quote:
[*]Buy Skoda Superb for 40 lakhs today and this is the only car for family. On days when we need second car, we will take an Uber or figure out what to do in future (maybe buy a used small car as a beater).
I recently got a 4th gen Honda City V. I believe it has the same engine. Please drive this car on the Highway above 80 kmph and you will realise that there is no way this can come close to a Polo. I have a 1.2l 2013 Polo and its hands down a better engine than 1.5l City however one can argue that City is fun to drive between 40-80 kmph and in the city which is your major use case.

Also, remember 2 years down the road people would prefer the electric route.

I would buy a Superb now and just let that luxury sink in. Will buy a Punch/Altroz for < 10l in 2-3 years although not having 2 cars during pandemic might be difficult.

Did I confuse you more?

Last edited by abhatt : 11th November 2021 at 00:39.
abhatt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 01:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

Seems like yet another perfect case for recommending the all new but used Honda Civic I have been recommending this to anyone considering buying the new City or spending more on an entry level luxury barge. The Civic was recently updated and recently discontinued a 2018/19 car would have seen very less usage considering the pandemic we've been through
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 03:03   #15
One
BHPian

Quote:
.... she would buy a Honda City for herself and let me do whatever I want
Issue seems to have resolved itself (also check Elantra in factory stock), who knows what all enticing permutations can arise with "let me do whatever I want" in 2023

Last edited by One : 11th November 2021 at 03:04.
One is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks