Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2021, 00:11   #1
BHPian

Keep a 10-year old Toyota Corolla Altis or buy a new Honda City?

Hello Everyone,

Lately I have been faced with a dilemma on whether to keep my existing car or buy a new one.

Presently I have a ten year old Corolla Altis D4DG (Diesel). The car has done 140000 kilometers and mechanically she is completely fine, with zero issues as of now. However, I am afraid of issues that might crop up in the car in the coming few years due to the car's age. The car has been regularly maintained till date and her latest service didn't show any major issues.

I bought the car about 3 years ago when she was at 100000 kilometers. This is my first car and I am very fond of her. In the three years that she has been with me, she has had some niggles, the most worrisome of which was the air conditioner, but all of them have been sorted out now and there are no issues right now.

I am thinking if it might be a good idea to replace her with a new Honda City (Fifth generation, petrol). I am in a dilemma as when I am away from the car, I am thinking of replacing her, but one look at her and all such thoughts vanish. One drive, however short, and I begin to wonder what was I even thinking.

I have a transferable job, so good roads may or may not be available at my place of posting and whichever way I decide, it will be my primary car. My office doesn't have decent parking space, so I go to office by my motorcycle. Hence the car will be mostly used for weekend drives and outstation trips. I usually have one or two trips per year of about 2500-3000 kilometers per trip (apart from my usual weekend trips, which are of around 400-500 kilometers).

A new car comes with peace of mind, both mechanically and in terms of insurance liability, however it also comes with EMIs, which I am wondering whether they will be worth it. The Altis is quite reliable from what I have heard, but an old car is an old car.

I am leaning towards the City as I am looking for a reliable sedan, and want something that will be similar to my existing car within Rs. 15.00 lakhs. Had the Yaris been in production today, I would have picked it up without a second thought, but alas, it has been discontinued. I don’t want to buy another used car, as I am not sure of getting a good example where I live. I also don’t want to go for an electric car due to range anxiety.

Here on Teambhp we always advise to keep our cars for long durations, so I am in a fix.

So, what will be an advisable course of action in your collective opinion? To Keep the 10 year old Altis or to get a new Honda City.

Thank you and Regards.
Attached Thumbnails
Keep a 10-year old Toyota Corolla Altis or buy a new Honda City?-20211117_132702.jpg  

Keep a 10-year old Toyota Corolla Altis or buy a new Honda City?-20211117_132708.jpg  

Keep a 10-year old Toyota Corolla Altis or buy a new Honda City?-20211117_132717.jpg  

Keep a 10-year old Toyota Corolla Altis or buy a new Honda City?-20211117_132725.jpg  

Keep a 10-year old Toyota Corolla Altis or buy a new Honda City?-20211117_132738.jpg  

Keep a 10-year old Toyota Corolla Altis or buy a new Honda City?-20211117_132741.jpg  

Keep a 10-year old Toyota Corolla Altis or buy a new Honda City?-20211117_142734.jpg  

Keep a 10-year old Toyota Corolla Altis or buy a new Honda City?-20211117_142736.jpg  

pareekvirendra is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 00:34   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Keep a 10-year old Toyota Corolla Altis or buy a new Honda City?

Honestly, either approach works. But my opinion is that the Altis was a better built car than the Honda City. I find that the build quality of Hondas has actually deteriorated over the years. To that end, if your Altis is absolutely mechanically sound, is not showing any signs of rusting etc, then I would actually vote in favour of keeping it until you really feel the need for an upgrade.

A 2021 Honda City will visually feel more premium than a 2011 Altis. But overall I have always felt that the Altis felt a distinct half segment higher in its build and ride quality and also the internal seating comfort.

The resale value of the Altis is anyway completely rock bottom so there not too much incremental depreciation loss. Another advantage of holding on to the Altis for a little longer could be that it either opens up more options for you a few years later or alternately allows you to jump a segment higher (perhaps).

PS: Just saw the pics again. Your car looks immaculate!! Kudos to the first owner as well as you in keeping it in top shape over the course of a decade. It looks the part of a true enthusiast’s car.

Last edited by vb-saan : 18th November 2021 at 10:48. Reason: As requested
Axe77 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 02:46   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I would say retain the Altis. As already said, it's a far better engineered car than the current City, especially in terms of overall build. It might give you a few niggles and running repairs down the line, but even if these cost you say 50-60K (worst case) to set right, you will lose far more in depreciation when buying a brand new City.

Best option is to just keep the Altis for another 2-3 years and also extend your budget so that you can buy an upgrade that feels like an upgrade in all departments (build, reliability, engine etc.). If you are bored of driving the Altis or there's something fundamentally very wrong with it (severe rusting, core engine issue etc.) only then get rid of it. Else as I see it, a new car is more of a want for you than a need.
vishy76 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 03:09   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareekvirendra View Post
My office doesn't have decent parking space, so I go to office by my motorcycle. Hence the car will be mostly used for weekend drives and outstation trips..
Another reason to keep the Altis.

Toyota's dont break down. Remember this ?

condor is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 05:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Keep the altis. As long as you perform your maintainence religiously, it should be fine for another 10 more years. Speaking as the owner of an indica that's been perfectly reliable for the past 15 years
greenhorn is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 07:21   #6
BHPian

I'd say keep the Altis since its reliable and being a Toyota, there will be less chances for breakdown.

BTW, is your Altis Petrol version or Diesel?

If you really want the City, then I'd suggest to save the money and buy a better car than City like preowned German sedans or an SUV.
car_guy1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 08:01   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareekvirendra View Post
I have a transferable job, so good roads may or may not be available at my place of posting and whichever way I decide, it will be my primary car. My office doesn't have decent parking space, so I go to office by my motorcycle. Hence the car will be mostly used for weekend drives and outstation trips. I usually have one or two trips per year of about 2500-3000 kilometers per trip (apart from my usual weekend trips, which are of around 400-500 kilometers).
Dear Brother,
If I were in your place I would retain the altis and if needed get a new cross-SUV within 10 lakhs.

My neighbour who was in a transferrable job used to be upset whenever he had to visit areas with broken roads or water logged areas on his 2017 model Honda City and ask me for help in my Honda BRV. Honda city is a good city and highway car but even a bit of rough roads take away the fun, the underbody starts scraping the road. And yes I agree that the built quality of new Honda City is not convincing.

I also agree that even a bit of more maintenance budget on you altis would be beneficial than getting another sedan when you already have a tough built Toyota.
If you want a new car I would advise to go for a cross-SUV with decent ground clearance and retain the altis.
Sushil Pingua is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 08:53   #8
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

It's better to retain the Altis. It's a much better product. Get it remapped and change the seat covers. That will give you the much required change. 2-3 EMIs of a new city per year can take care of the insurance and maintenance of your Altis.

Last edited by asit.kulkarni93 : 18th November 2021 at 08:54.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 09:03   #9
BANNED

Apart from other comments above on Altis being a better-built car than City, I think this is not a good time to buy a new car (chip shortage etc); and in 2 years time the EV scene will be transformed. Tata is already selling 1500/month with a 6 month waiting list. In 2 years there will be lots of EVs on the roads, lots of charging options including on highways, and better prices. I have a 11-year-old Punto, 98500+km, runs like new; though there are old-car worries (it has had issues, but has never broken down on the road) I am not keen on a new fossil-fuel-burner. I am waiting and watching the EV scene.
rsidd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 09:17   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Keep a 10-year old Toyota Corolla Altis or buy a new Honda City?

Definitely keep the Altis . I know so many owners of 10+ year old Corollas (including Mods Aditya & Vid6639) who are happily using their steeds. The car is very durable, like most Toyotas, and easily has a 15 - 20 year useable life. If you maintain it well (Best Practices : Maintain your Car in Top Shape).

Of course, there will be repairs as the car ages, simply because every part has a finite life. At 100,000 km, you should expect the usual replacements. But remember, repairing the car is significantly cheaper than selling it. Please do read my detailed article (Want to sell your car because of repairs? Think again!) on the topic.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 09:18   #11
Team-BHP Support

Apologies for the repeat post but I suddenly was reminded of this thread which is a handy read. You may wish to give it a small nip and tuck or refresh just to keep the engagement alive for the next few years. Applies just as well to a 10 year old car which is in its 4th year of ownership with you. Of course you need to also strike a balance between how much you would want to spend on a fully written down car but I would treat the spend from an active engagement lens and not what value it would deliver on ultimate resale.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ownin...lot-money.html (Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money)
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 09:20   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Looking at all the Etios and Innova cabs that have clocked similar mileage and going strong, I would suggest retaining this for a bit more.

Preventive maintenance is your best friend as your car ages : clutch, suspension being major points since you've gotten the AC fixed recently.

The car will see more downtime and maintenance costs compared to a Honda city, but it will also work out cheaper in the long run as compared to paying EMIs and higher running costs.
As a vehicle both the city and Corolla are good all rounder: the city will be quicker, easier to drive, and have all the new features and gizmos; but the Corolla will be more comfortable, better built (no experience with Gen 5 City, but Gen 4 had its fair share of rattles and niggles and the corolla was a private taxi favorite in its segment and in general is more abuse friendly), cheaper to run and own.

Since you are open to pre-owned, you could even consider an upgrade to a pre-worshipped new Gen Corolla Altis which would be around Rs. 10L for a low run good condition vehicle, offering many advantages of the city (performance, lower downtime, etc.); and the advantages of the Corolla (seat comfort, ground clearance for touring, build quality etc.). However, even in this case, you would have to live with fewer features and a boring dash compared to the City + city is more nimble.
lamborghini is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 09:54   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
BTW, is your Altis Petrol version or Diesel?
Looking at the grill from the pictures posted, it’s the Diesel Altis.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 10:00   #14
BHPian

Toyota Corolla Altis is a very durable and reliable car, it also comes with a lot of import content and is built to a much higher standard. (like all generations of the Corolla) I have seen taxis in Bangkok have run lakhs and lakhs of kilometres and performed well.

You may feel its a bit underequipped in features currently but the basic engineering is solid. Your car seems well maintained, you may consider a mid life refresh like touch up of damages, wheel & caliber painting, ceramic coating, a new audio system or seat upholstery change,etc

Do get the mechanicals checked, suspension, brakes etc which are the normal wearable parts. You should have a trouble free ownership !
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 10:12   #15
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest to hold onto the Altis, as I personally like the car far more than Honda.

The Honda has distinct advantage of being the more modern car with much better performance and looks, but dont know if those are things you need.
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks