Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2007, 10:16   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor0012 View Post
I have bought a Ford Fiesta 1.6 sxi in March 2001 and have spent nothing so far on it in the first servicing, except Rs 3822 for Waxoyl exterior coating.
you mean 2007 .. right
Old 29th May 2007, 10:47   #17
BHPian

Anyone heard of these problems on the verna??

Have any of you heard of the below mentioned problems of Verna as stated by Vnabhi - probs with left back door, oil leakage, poor headlights?? This is the first I am hearing of this>???
- Victor

vnabhi vbmenu_register("postmenu_450906", true);

Guys, I just joined this forum a few days ago and happened to see this thread today.
I have bought a Ford Fiesta 1.6 sxi in March 2001 and have spent nothing so far on it in the first servicing, except Rs 3822 for Waxoyl exterior coating.
I am getting around 10-13 km in Hyderabad city driving with AC on. I get immense pleasure while driving this car--even reviews have mentioned about this.
As regards those going for Verna, I have read the postings in Orkut by Verna community that the mileage in petrol version is around 9 to 11 only.
This apart, most Vernas have a problem with the left back door and oil leakage, and all with poor headlights--it appears they are just as powerful as Santro's lights. Please visit this community and take an informed decision.
As regards looks, I feel Aveo is the best, followed by Fiesta. Verna's front grill and short boot have spoilt its looks. Even sx4 is not a great looker from the front.
My theory on looks is---if you like the looks of Hrithik Roshan and James Dean, then you will like the American cars. Instead, if Hirihito and Yamaguchi's looks give you a thrill, then sx4 and Verna will please you!
Looks apart, things like FE, handling, gear shift, GC also count. So please take a test drive and decide yourself---after all, one man's meat is another's poison !
Old 29th May 2007, 12:18   #18
BHPian

Well, looks are very much subjective. You might have seen some other threads here mantioning that they found Verna to be very attractive. In my case, I hate the look of Aveo and even the older Accent. NHC also never attracted me. Fiesta looks ok and so does SX4.

Regarding issues with Verna, I have not faced any of them. Yes headlights are not very powerful, and I changed the bulbs to Philips 100/90 which I found quite good. I have the same ones on my Santro. No issues with left back door so far.

Regarding mileage, this again is pretty subjective and depends a lot on driving style. I am a sedate driver with a light foot on gas pedal. Unless I am overtaking a reasonably fast moving vehicle, I never rev up. I get about 13-14 in highways and 11-12 in city with a/c on most of the time(60-75%). Also I use Shell/Reliance Regular/Premium petrol, if that makes a difference. I have never owned an Accent, hence I cant comment or compare with it. But what I hear from those who did is that Verna has slightly better mileage.

Last edited by appuchan : 29th May 2007 at 12:19.
Old 29th May 2007, 12:29   #19
BHPian

Hi Appuchan.. Thanks for the info. Was a little worried when I heard of probs with the Verna. But your post put most of my issues to rest. Guess will change the headlights to philips 100/90 like you did. If I get 11-12 in city with AC on for about 60% of the time, I guess one has to be satisfied with it.
Just have one more query for you.. Did you face any other issues with the verna? I have read posts that say that the rear suspension is not good etc. Would very much appreciate your views as you actually own a verna.

Thanks,

Victor

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
Well, looks are very much subjective. You might have seen some other threads here mantioning that they found Verna to be very attractive. In my case, I hate the look of Aveo and even the older Accent. NHC also never attracted me. Fiesta looks ok and so does SX4.

Regarding issues with Verna, I have not faced any of them. Yes headlights are not very powerful, and I changed the bulbs to Philips 100/90 which I found quite good. I have the same ones on my Santro. No issues with left back door so far.

Regarding mileage, this again is pretty subjective and depends a lot on driving style. I am a sedate driver with a light foot on gas pedal. Unless I am overtaking a reasonably fast moving vehicle, I never rev up. I get about 13-14 in highways and 11-12 in city with a/c on most of the time(60-75%). Also I use Shell/Reliance Regular/Premium petrol, if that makes a difference. I have never owned an Accent, hence I cant comment or compare with it. But what I hear from those who did is that Verna has slightly better mileage.
Old 29th May 2007, 15:00   #20
BHPian

I think the issue with suspension could be a one-off case. I have not heard anything of that sort so far. It also may have something to do with the roads you drive and also the driving style. In general, I feel that suspension is comparable to NHC. As I have mentioned earlier in a different thread, other than changing headlight bulbs, I have not done any "mods" on my car so far. Even though I am looking to have some perf mods soon. No extra money spend on first service also. I have completed about 7000 kms now on it including three long trips (> 500 kms).
Old 29th May 2007, 15:54   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

SX4 ZXI is a great VFM car. If your drive yourself and like a performance oriented car then get a SX4 .
Old 29th May 2007, 16:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

The Sx4 can eat the verna for lunch and dinner.Had been for a test drive today again of the sx4 and had a test drive of the verna around 20 min before the test drive of the sx4 and i m talkin about the diesel here but handlin wont be different from the diesel to the petrol
Suspension=1.5 out of 5..ever hump and dump could be felt inside..almost felt like i was driving my 800
Handling=1 out of 5..Horrible.touched 120 and had to brake and felt so uneasy with the feeling that i got.It was not confidence inspiring.Wonder what will happen at speeds above 150
Engine=Here comes the meaty part.awesome is not the word.Wonder if maruti and hyundai join hands and we get an sx4 with the verna engine:P
Overall=just about okaish

Sx4
Suspension= 4 out of 5..filters out every hump and dump on the road.feels daam comfortable inside
Handling= 4 out of 5..the 16 inchers and 205 tyres do a very good job of keepin the car planted plus very driver friendly.At 100 was overtakin rickshaws and bikes left and right on a narrow road and hardly felt a thing.The brakes are awesome too.
Engine=3 nd half out of 5..well during the first test ride of the sx4 i had felt the engine was too loud and bla bla..the car had hardly run around 500 km.But during this test ride i took the car which i drove had run around 1900 km.The engine felt crispier+the noise had the noise which everyone is reporting at high engine rpm was hardly there.the engine felt responsive+at high rpms was music to the ears and not loud.
Pickup was good and so was the torque at low rpms.Could make a good city as well as highway runner.
Overall=great value for money and a very good buy from every angel

Last edited by humyum : 29th May 2007 at 16:22.
Old 29th May 2007, 16:47   #23
BHPian

Verna is good but SX4 is even better fully loaded man you dont have those steering mounted audio controls even in the honda civic what else can one ask for
Old 29th May 2007, 17:31   #24
BHPian

Agree that probably SX4 is a better package.. but then I would have to go for the Zxi version, which costs 7 lakhs ex-showroom. My budget was only 6 lakhs ex-showroom and I can push it to a max of 30-40k more, taking it to about 6.40 ex-showroom which is just about get me the Verna Xi. So cant afford the SX4 ZXI

Now comparing the features of the Sx4 VXI vs Verna Xi (Which are the two I can afford), I think Verna Xi wins. Its only against the SX4 ZXI that the decision changes. Strictly comparing the Verna Xi vs SX4 Vxi, I think the Verna is a better deal.

90% of my driving would be in city and I doubt very much whether I would do 120kmph ( Would be lucky to hit 80!!). Also I am not planning to drive it too much on off-roads to worry about the suspension being too soft.

Another factor is the delivery time. I would get the Xi in a week.. No clue of the Sx4.

One problem I have encounted on team-bhp is that not many seem to have the Verna petrol. I have encountered may be a handful or actual owners of a verna petrol. I do understand that it could be because its an enthusiats forum. But I guess we have generated a healthy debate and thats good.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubin2006 View Post
Verna is good but SX4 is even better fully loaded man you dont have those steering mounted audio controls even in the honda civic what else can one ask for
Old 30th May 2007, 10:54   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How did you buy FIESTA 1.6 in march 2001??? Do you mean Ikon in 2001 or Fiesta in 2006?
Old 30th May 2007, 11:05   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One problem I have encounted on team-bhp is that not many seem to have the Verna petrol. I have encountered may be a handful or actual owners of a verna petrol. I do understand that it could be because its an enthusiats forum.
I think this is the general buying trend as well and not just limited to team-bhp. Ford india has officially stated that about 70% of the fiesta's they sell are diesel,I presume with hyundai too diesel is the main star in its line-up and selling more than its petrol counterpart.

Power,torque is a bonus but the magic word is FE and cost of diesel even if it means you are paying so much more initially for a diesel engine.The petrol counter-parts loose out in terms of resale value due to this diesel affinity.
Old 30th May 2007, 12:20   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
How did you buy FIESTA 1.6 in march 2001??? Do you mean Ikon in 2001 or Fiesta in 2006?
Amtak, if you read carefully, victor is quoting vamabhi comment from a " different post" and it is sorted out in that post that Vanabhi owns a Fiest 1.6 sxi bought in March 2007.
Old 31st May 2007, 10:39   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
I think this is the general buying trend as well and not just limited to team-bhp. Ford india has officially stated that about 70% of the fiesta's they sell are diesel,I presume with hyundai too diesel is the main star in its line-up and selling more than its petrol counterpart.
For Verna, I think this ratio will be even more skewed (9:1) since the VGT model's dynamics is infectious. I have seen a few of them in the service center, mainly suffering due to abusive driving. I feel Hyundai should either make those cars more sturdy or tone down the dynamics. Else there will be too many of them crowding their service centers.

SX4 will eat away whatever petrol car sales were left for Ford and Hyundai now, and ofcourse that of the 'venerable' NHC !
Old 31st May 2007, 11:38   #29
BHPian

Hi Appuchan.. Final query - If it was a contest between Verna Xi vs SX4 Vxi, which would would win in terms of fuel efficiency, looks, interiors etc???
Old 31st May 2007, 12:57   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Appuchan.. Final query - If it was a contest between Verna Xi vs SX4 Vxi, which would would win in terms of fuel efficiency, looks, interiors etc???
though the questions isnt directed towards me but, i would take the SX4 VXi with my eyes closed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks