Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2022, 14:22   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Used CVTs: Toyota Corolla vs Honda City

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniket13 View Post
Could you please share the price you paid for the Corolla? Also I'm repeating a few queries I shot at another member above so copy+pasting them here to get you inputs (@Mods: please let me know if there's any other way to do this):
Price varies from region to region, and also various factors like U trust, direct sale etc. so no point comparing. I had purchased from Toyota U trust, single owner well pampered car with clean history(verified from multiple dealerships) so I guess I did end up paying a premium.

Quote:
1) Did you get the car accessorized from the dealer/aftermarket stuff since purchase? The G variant comes pretty bare-bone with features but I heard Toyota provides a fair bit of official modifications from their end. Please share a rough cost idea of these upgrades.
If possible, go for GL/VL as they are top of the line and come loaded with feature - auto headlamps/viper, all 5 alloys, electric driver seat and so on. Only sore point is the HU which is obviously dated considering 2022 anyway.

Quote:
2) How has been your experience with the ASS and general maintenance of this model? What's the interval and cost of service?
Toyota service is one of the best, as long as you have a service centre near your home. I have one near my home and quick and prompt service.
Coming to general service costs, they are same as my Alto K10 (Maruti is seriously expensive to maintain). Interval is 10K or 12 months

Quote:
3) Did you face any issues with spares availability/pricing? I've heard break-pads have been a known issue with the Altis, given how costly they are.
I have heard brake pads wearing out with previous generation(pre-2014). Me still on the original set that came with the car(2015 make) and around 34K run now. Toyota has a plant in Bangalore, so I think parts availability is not really an issue in near future. However the model is discontinued, so in the long run, it may be a pain. But Corolla is such a popular car world-over that I am sure it can be sourced.

Quote:
4) I know it is a reliable product - but anything I should be aware/careful of long-term (assuming I get a 50-60k kms run vehicle)? Any parts prone to go bust around 60-80k kms range?
It is a mechanical product and depends on how the car is maintained/treated. Toyotas are in general are reliable. These parts may not break, but any accidental damage means they won't come cheap either. You can see enough threads on this forum.

Quote:
5) Are you aware/have used Toyota Protect? - the dealer claims it to be Toyota's combined warranty+zero dep insurance which they provide for up to 10 years.

6) Do you get Zero-Dep insurance for your Altis? Please share details.
I had zero dep until last year. I am told it is a policy upto 7 years I guess and this year renewed for regular policy.

Quote:
The reviews I have collected so far are in-line with what you have shared. My only apprehension is about owning an elephant which could cost a bomb if something goes wrong (given older discontinued used car, higher-segment, No zero-dep/warranty). Can you also please share your inputs against the points mentioned in the above quote reply.
My overall feedback is very positive. I had purchased Corolla in 2019 till the BS-VI norms and future of Diesel engines get sorted. After over 2 years, I am satisfied with the car and planning to keep her for few more years to beat the depreciation.

Though it is not driver oriented by any means, 1.8 NA and 140 bhp will definitely be better than that of Honda city in comparison. It is relatively low on maintenance(more like a 10L car), easy and nimble in city traffic too(more like city/ciaz) and cruises solid on highways(140 kmph + speeds).

My only suggestion is to take a call based on condition of the car front of you In used market, it is very important factor as compared to buying a new car). For example, I was in the market for an AT, but settled with manual because it was in mint condition.

Mod Note: Please DO NOT respond within quotes, it causes issues with subsequent quoting. Use split quotes instead to respond to specific points. Thanks.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th January 2022 at 09:34. Reason: See mod note.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 16:21   #32

Based on your summary, I think it is a question of whether to follow the mind or the heart.

The mind tells you to go with City and your heart tells you to go for Corolla.

I selected a 5th Gen Honda City over Mahindra Thar (Family and Practicality reasons), but whenever I see a Thar on the road, my heart skips a beat!

So, go with your heart!!
Old 17th January 2022, 19:11   #33
BHPian

Quote:
You have the same model/year that I'am looking for (except for the CVT part!). Can you please help by sharing the following from your experience thus far...
Apologies for delayed response.

1) I feel the G variant is decently kitted considering its the base variant. It has leather Steering Wheel cover, ACC, touch screen music system, Power foldable ORVM, Rear defogger, Alloys. I have added just 2 things since my purchase: a Relay from RD for auto-fold ORVM whenever you lock/Unlock from key and a rear manual sunshade. My rear left speaker blew out last year and when I enquired Toyota showroom, they didn't had much accessories for Altis. They only had wooden trim for doors and some Chrome bits. The previous owner had installed Fabric Seat covers (not bucket seat fitting types though), which I prefer over leather due to Delhi Summers. I am considering installing an Android HU (i have a spare one) when i upgrade speakers soon.

2) I have done 3 services till now:
Soon after I purchased the car (It was a 50K service, actual ODO 14500): Rs 7,000
60K Service, actual ODO 25K: Rs 7,800
70K Service, actual ODO 35K: Rs 7,600
So the regular maintenance isnt expensive. The first service above includes Wiper purchase and the last one includes Injector cleaning.

3) I havent had to search for parts till date, so cannot comment on availability. I did replace the Front Brake Pads at approx 30K mark. I got them from Brembo for 3000 and they are really good. I have been using Brembo brake pads for a few years on my Duster. They cost a little less than OEM and last for more than double the OEM pads. Hoping for the same result for Corolla Altis.

4) Its a fairly reliable product and I dont remember reading anything specific which goes bust. But from a regular service point of few, Toyota recommends changing Fuel filter at 80K mark and Spark Plugs and Drive belt at 100K. So those expenses should be kept in mind.

5) I was not aware of this. Thanks for the information. I will check on this when i go for my next service in a month or so.

On Insurance, I have it with TATA AIG. Its a Zero-dep with Key replacement and RSA as add-ons. It costed me 27,600. I am not sure if I will get Zero-dep going forward but will definitely try to get it.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th January 2022 at 09:32. Reason: trimmed quote
Route66 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 09:56   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have ..rattling, rusting, electronic failures are common issues.

I have heard the Altis comes with soft suspensions too, but are they any different that City's? Both come with 15 in tyres which I believe is grossly unfortunate given the price of these products. Have never pushed City to above 100 speeds, not sure if I would do with the kind of driver I'am hence for me personally 100+ kmph stability is not on top of priority list. Is Altis better in low-mid range driving, city/rural settings, as compared to Honda City? (I know it is superior in high-speed stability).
Rattling will make you think of changing car, it can get annoying to that extent. Rusting is there too. For me, fortunately, no electronic failures.

Altis has got better ride and stability, and even at sub 100 kmph speeds Altis is better behaved with less body movements vis-a-vis City. A flatter ride will alone contribute a lot to comfort. City suffers from a weak bottom end which I am sure you would have observed. Off idle torque is not a strength of City's petrol 1.5. Altis engine is practically tuned offering better and linear spread of grunt. Altis is definitely better of the two for low and mid range driving and even at cruising at highway speeds. I would prefer 15 inch tyres with practical aspect ratio than 16 inch tyres with less aspect ratio. My 2012 Innova has 205/65 R15 while Baleno gets 195/55 R16. The overall diameter of my Innova's wheel is 648 mm while that of Baleno (with 195/55 R16) is 620 mm. 185/65 R15 on my City results into overall diameter of 622 mm, basically same as 16 inch wheel of Baleno.
aaggoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 01:03   #35
BHPian

Head says: City

Heart says: Corolla

Since it's for your dad, go for the city (though it's 21hp lower). The availability of extended warranty is a huge plus as it's a used CVT you are looking for.

You will get Nil Dep up to 10 years

Iffco Tokio is offering for 10 years
ICICI Lombard is offering for 7 years

Both the above mentioned companies exclude certain models

Among the PSU's New India Assurance offers upto 7 years, again subject to T&C (Policy should be renewal of same company)
Voodooblaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 07:35   #36
BHPian

I would go with the Altis eyes closed.

Post 2013 with 4th gen City, quality of Honda went downhill and City even though newer will have far more niggles than the Altis over long run.

Honda City is built for local market and some other neighbouring countries..Corolla Altis is a global car and a segment above so quality of parts used is going to be better. Atleast thats what I've observed when it comes to Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla.

I still drive a 2003 Toyota Corolla as my daily driver and car drives better than my late 2012 Honda City and is still faring strong..These Toyotas are built to very high standards.
pta320 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 22:12   #37
BHPian

What was the conclusion OP? My cousin just picked up a 2016 Altis VL AT in Ahmedabad for pennies on dollar. He is so stoked about this purchase. Do let us know about yours.
Old 25th October 2022, 18:47   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
What was the conclusion OP? My cousin just picked up a 2016 Altis VL AT in Ahmedabad for pennies on dollar. He is so stoked about this purchase. Do let us know about yours.

How much did he get it for, if you do not mind? I have my eyes on a 2015 Altis VL AT with 76K on the odo. Just wondering how much I should be willing to spend on this, so this info would help.
Old 26th October 2022, 13:34   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideacatalyst View Post
How much did he get it for, if you do not mind? I have my eyes on a 2015 Altis VL AT with 76K on the odo. Just wondering how much I should be willing to spend on this, so this info would help.
7.4L for a single owner, 48K kms done car. The guy was moving to NZ, so had to sell it off quickly. Tyres were changed at 42K kms and the car was serviced at 46K kms - so no expenses there. Now the cousin is looking at some mods with amount of money that he's saved.
creative420 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 13:59   #40

That sounds like a great deal! Thanks for this. Gives me a reference point to negotiate well. Hopefully I'll be able to get it at a decent price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
7.4L for a single owner, 48K kms done car. The guy was moving to NZ, so had to sell it off quickly. Tyres were changed at 42K kms and the car was serviced at 46K kms - so no expenses there. Now the cousin is looking at some mods with amount of money that he's saved.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks