Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2007, 19:18   #1
BWN
BHPian

Used Baleno(2000) for 3 lacs.Is it worth ?

Hi Folks,

I just came across a used Baleno Vxi, 2000 model 41k kms done for 3 lacs in a maruti true value outlet.My father informed this to me as I was searching a used sedan around 3.5 lacs.

Is it a fair buy ? If No, then what should be the asking price ? I tried to negotiate to the dealership manager over fone and he is not ready to come below 3 lacs.This car was owned by a businessman/trader and was exhanged for a diesel swift.This wasnt the only care he was using, but still 41k kms for a 7 years old car is hard to believe.

I am a bit apprehensive about the low mileage for a 7 year old car, though ttue value guys are giving warranty for 1 year.Kindly let me know some major points to be checked during Test drive, which is on monday.Unfortunately, i am out of india and my father would be doing the TD,so suggestions on simple fool proof ways of checking would be good.

Tyres are brand and the battery also seems to be pretty good.Interiors are clean,though this cud have been done by the dealership.Mileage is claimed to be 12, which seems to be lower if it was for highway.Pls pout in your suggestion.
Old 2nd June 2007, 21:09   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWN View Post
...I am a bit apprehensive about the low mileage for a 7 year old car, though ttue value guys are giving warranty for 1 year...
I see no reason to be too apprehensive about having low mileage especially if the owner had multiple cars. I too have a 6 year old Santro with 25k on it for sale. Even though my new Verna did 7k already in 4 months.
Old 2nd June 2007, 23:15   #3
BWN
BHPian

Thanks appuchan for the reply.I am apprehensive because I am not physically present in the spot for seeing the car, hence this thought abt low mileage.Though True value outlets can be trusted than the other dealers, i think this thought would come to any potential buyer.Infact, we have a 800 in our family which has done just 16k in 11 years

Others mates, pls do post a reply and guide me as its urgent and I will have to finalise on monday.
Old 2nd June 2007, 23:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

2 lakhs would be a more appropriate price, but since it is with true value, maybe 2.25L , not a penny more. Moreover there was no vxi, lxi models in 2000. there was just the baleno with all the frills. 3 lakhs for a 7 yr old phased out car does not make sense, instead look for a OHC 2000 which would come around the same price. The 1 year warranty is only on the engine & gear box which seldom fail, so dont take that seriously. As you said the mileage is also unbelievable to say the least.
Old 2nd June 2007, 23:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

I have a 3.5 year old NHC which has done 11k so if you calculate have 7 years it will have only 22k on it but my 8 month old innova has 1lac+km

i have seen a 10 years old m800 with 10k

now back to the point 3lac is to much in chandigarh i was getting 2000 baleno for 2.5lacs a year ago
Old 2nd June 2007, 23:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, even i knew a 8 year old cielo that had clocked only 6k kms, but it had a record of that & the owner himself was selling it.

@BWN..please check for the number of owners, service history etc. Any maruti service centre will have the service record of that car.
Old 2nd June 2007, 23:47   #7
BWN
BHPian

@esteem_lover Its a single owner car and i shall ask my father to check the service history from the dealership itself.Those guys are not even agreeing for 2.75l, and my dad tried to tell them abt discontinued model etc.... but still no change.

Can anyone confirm wheather there was Vxi & Lxi in 2000.I think it was there.
Old 3rd June 2007, 00:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

There were no variants till 2002 when MUL lowered the prices & brought out the lower end LXi. BTW, which place(city) is this baleno ?
Old 3rd June 2007, 00:11   #9
BWN
BHPian

@Esteem_lover Its in salem..... and it seems that Vxi is mentioned in the RC.. something fishy.. let me check.... thanks a lot for the info bro...
Old 3rd June 2007, 01:01   #10
Team-BHP Support

I would say for a seven year old car that was selling for some 6.5 lacs at close anything like 3 lacs is a bit high. That it is now out of production only makes it sound even more so. The new tyres, batteries, spanking interiors etc though can be a good thing but can also be a double edged sword. Now I do not want to sound like an alarmist but it may also mean that the kms clocked was reversed and then all the tell-tale signs were removed (tyres, batteries, interiors etc tell you a lot about a cars age). Be sure to check carefully.

OT: guys is the Baleno really out of production? If so then from which month? Today's TOI has a Monthly sales figure for May realeased by Maruti that includes Baleno in it as well. Howzzat?
Old 3rd June 2007, 01:29   #11
Senior - BHPian

Dude just ditch the idea of buying that car. 3 lacs is way too steep for a 2000 model Baleno.

My friend picked up a brand new Baleno VXI just 2 months back (before it was phased out) for 6.3 lacs.
The quote given to you is just way too expensive. If you really keen on buying a 2nd baleno me thinks Bangalore is the place.

Also check with McLaren he has put up a Baleno for sale

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tml#post455839

Quote:
OT: guys is the Baleno really out of production? If so then from which month?
March was the last month of sales if my memory serves me right.
Old 3rd June 2007, 02:01   #12
BANNED

Baleno didn't have a VXI LXI option till 2002. But there is a possibility that all the cars were known as Baleno VXI till then in the absense of LXI.
Old 3rd June 2007, 02:47   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
March was the last month of sales if my memory serves me right.
Huh! Then how come Maruti has included Baleno in the overall May sales figure?
Old 3rd June 2007, 07:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
But there is a possibility that all the cars were known as Baleno VXI till then in the absense of LXI.
Nope, it wasn't. The RTO could have made a mistake. But if the car sports a VXi then the owner must have affixed it. There was no VXi in 2000.

@BWN. now i know why it is priced so high. In salem, the resale values are very high indeed. My m-1000 was bought by a dealer from salem too. Try coming down to chennai & get a good car.
cheers
Old 3rd June 2007, 07:44   #15
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine has recently bought an April 2000 Baleno for 2L from a used car dealer.
MUL dealer offered me max 4L for my 2006 Vxi. They were asking me to trade it in for a SX4.

3L for a 2000 car is waaay too much.

Most Viewed