Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2007, 00:45   #1
BHPian

embera crdi or skoda laura elegance

hi everyone im new to team bhp. its a very informative forum. guys im in a fix plz help me out ive shortlisted two cars
1 hyundai embera crdi
2 skoda laura diesel elegance
can u guys plz advise me which is a better buy frm the above 2 im nt tht much concerned abt tht snob value i jus wana car that is better in perfomace of the above 2 ,easier on the pocket and good to look at .i found out that crdi engines are not tht reliable bcoz hav seen a few of them fail in the accent and also the now discontinued terracan .guys any inputs frm u wil be helpful .bye tc
Old 3rd June 2007, 10:17   #2
Team-BHP Support

please read the rules. rule 1 forbids the use of SMS.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...e-posting.html

I had to read your post 3 times just to understand it.
Old 3rd June 2007, 17:44   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
please read the rules. rule 1 forbids the use of SMS.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...e-posting.html

I had to read your post 3 times just to understand it.
ok will be care ful in the future while posting not to use short forms
Old 4th June 2007, 18:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajwasingh View Post
i found out that crdi engines are not tht reliable bcoz hav seen a few of them fail in the accent and also the now discontinued terracan .
From where did you pick that up, CRDI technology is quite reliable and is used in most new generation vehicles.

Even the diesel engines pulling those bogeys in the Indian Railways use CRDI technology, have you seen any stall on the tracks
Old 4th June 2007, 21:50   #5
BHPian

I would suggest the Embera CRDi. Its bigger, cheaper and easier to maintain(being a Hyundai).

The Laura has more snob value but is more expensive.
Old 4th June 2007, 21:58   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Difficult choice! The Sonata has a good engine with a 6-speeder, while the Laura has a decent engine with the DSG. See if Skoda wont give a DSG that you can plonk into the Embera - that'd be ideal!
Old 4th June 2007, 22:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

First of all, Hyundai CRDi engines are not prone to failures. The ones you witnessed may be one off cases. The CRDi engine is known to be reliable and largely trouble free.

Now betweeen Skoda Laura and Hyundai Embera, i would suggest the Embera.

1. The peformance is nearly the same, specially in the highways. In the city, the Embera struggles a little bit because of longer turbo lag. But it is something you will get used to with time.
2. Hyundai After sales service is better than the Skoda's. Hyundai service is widespread across India compared to Skoda.
3. Skoda spare parts are known to be expensive. This is not the case with Hyundai.
4. Backseat comfort, and space, again, Embera takes the cake.

Last edited by DCEite : 4th June 2007 at 22:08.
Old 4th June 2007, 23:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

IMHO, the Laura is a better overall car. But does it justify the premium Skoda is charging? I guess not. Have driven both and the Laura is a more fun drive. The Embera is a pain to drive in stop and go city traffic. The Laura feels more solid and planted at high speeds. So, performance wise, its the Skoda. Comfort wise, the Sonata wins. Rear leg space is pretty good and the ride is on the softer side. It'll be cheaper to maintain too. As for the reliability of the CRDi engines, I have no complaints. Have a nearly 3 years old Elantra CRDi done 35k+ Kms. No issues whatsoever. (the same engine does duty on the Embera, with a VGT). Now, only if Hyundai does something to the gear ratios and or the ECU to improve city drive ability.

Was in the same boat as you. My heart said the Laura but the mind said Embera. Listened to my pocket instead and am waiting for the Laura RS 2.0PD, 170Bhp
Old 4th June 2007, 23:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Difficult choice! The Sonata has a good engine with a 6-speeder, while the Laura has a decent engine with the DSG. See if Skoda wont give a DSG that you can plonk into the Embera - that'd be ideal!

DSG is not available in Elegance, to me its Skoda any day.

If you can afford the extra premium then I suggest take Laura with eyes closed , you will feel it when you sit in the drivers seat of Laura. I havent driven the Sonata diesel, but from what I hear its got irritating turbo lag and interior fit and finish is not a patch on Laura .

I vote for Laura, and like someone had pointed out , its not expensive to buy , it may be expensive to maintain.

Skoda Laura Elegance is 14.7-ish , even Sontata is nearly as expensive . Its true that you get good discounts that may make you feel Laura is too expensive but remember , you are getting discounts coz the car is not exactly doing well .

Above all just look at both the cars from all angles, Laura is clearly more elegant and original.
Old 5th June 2007, 00:31   #10
BHPian

Are you going to be occupying the backseat most of the time? Or will you be taking to the wheel all by yourself. If its the former, Sonata would be ideal.Better ride,more space and comfy seats.Laura feels quite cramped at the back.It certainly wont give you a luxurous feel.Also, it rides on 55 profile tires.As a result,you are bound to feel every mole on the road.Add to that, its not the most silent of places to be in either.There is a lot of road noise filtering in, especially if you are travelling over cement roads.The PD engine is quite noisy on the outside and that somehow hampers the already 'low on luxury feel'.On the plus side, it looks and feels far more better than the 'Accord-Audi-ish' Hyundai.

On the other hand, if you will be doing the driving yourself, Laura should be it. As mentioned by others, Sonata embera has a relatively narrow power band and there is a lot of turbo lag.The Laura's talking point is the DSG gearbox, which I believe is missing the Elegance version.The engine has good punch but its not outstanding as such.You've got to ride on the low end torque on this one.There's hardly anything above the 4000 rpm mark.That said, the handling on the Laura is pretty good, although it lacks feed back.

So Laura- the better driver's car, but only just. Embera- certainly better for the back seaters and much more practical.For snob value, embera scores nowhere and you might earn more ' market value' with the Laura. But since you dont care much about that, and thats a good thing, Embera could be a match.Good luck in your car hunt.By the way, no Honda in that list? Maybe you're bored of looking at them all over the place.But there's a good reason why they are so common on the streets.
Old 5th June 2007, 00:59   #11
BHPian

EDIT - Just realised that you require diesels.My bad .In that case no Hooonda required.
Old 5th June 2007, 18:29   #12

practical choice

Practical would be to go for a Skoda over Sonata- as the brand and hence resale value of sonata is down the drain and like it or not - when we spend that kind of money - we like to be appreciated for our car and not looked down to.
Old 5th June 2007, 23:41   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMITSPVERMA View Post
when we spend that kind of money - we like to be appreciated for our car and not looked down to.
Oh so thats what practicality is all about! Hmmm,whos driving the car, you or the neighbours?
Sonata is a talented car.Its all about the image, nothing else. And the thread starter mentioned he does'nt care much about that, which is refreshing for a change.
Old 6th June 2007, 11:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMITSPVERMA View Post
- we like to be appreciated for our car and not looked down to.
Thats a new one!!!

Havent driven the Sonata Diesel yet but I'm told it has major turbo lag. Wont be a lot of fun, then. The Indian version of the Sonata also has plastics that arent in line with those in its league.

That said, a Sonata is more spacious than a Skoda and has a more comfortable ride without really losing out on the handling a lot. Plus Hyundai service is everywhere, is excellent and their spares dont cost a bomb or require you to wait for them to be shipped down from Germany or wherever.

IMHO the Sonata is a very nice looker too - it looks just right from all around.
Old 6th June 2007, 11:37   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
IMHO the Sonata is a very nice looker too - it looks just right from all around.
Agreed. I vote for the Embera. Isnt there a Pete's chip for it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks