Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2022, 20:40   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Reliability Dilemma | Want to buy VW Virtus GT, but worried about DSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
"Driving style" in this case probably refers to the widely held belief that DSGs should not be run in D with a foot on the brake in stop-start traffic. My point is that is exactly how most people prefer to drive automatics, not slot the lever into N every time they stop momentarily. If DSGs can't handle that, they shouldn't be in the AT business!
Its not only that, it also depends on how many shifts the transmission has done. Someone doing a lot of kickdowns and driving in a way the transmission would have to do many shifts would of course put the transmission to greater stress compared to a driver who has driven mostly on open roads and with a driving style that wouldnt cause too many shifts. Anyway, thats something I would expect the transmission to be built to handle.

On the other hand, the issue with the clutch in stop start traffic seems to be resolved in the 1.5 DSG. In the Polo 1.2 TSI I had driven, the DSG would slightly ride the clutch even when the brake was pressed to a certain duration. This would enable the car to creep forward as soon as the brake was released.

But in the Slavia I drove, this behavior was not present. Instead, the car would only creep forward a slight moment after the brake was released. Hence it feels like the clutch is no longer being ridden on which must take care of the continuous force on the clutch solenoid in traffic.
audioholic is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 02:30   #62
BHPian

An interesting update :

I have come across few cars which have piqued my interest.

1. A 2015 Skoda Octavia Elegance 2.0 TDI CR which has done 78,000 kms, price quoted is 8,50,000
2. A 2017 Rapid Style TDI MT which has done 55,000 kms, price quoted is 8,75,000
3. A 2016 Skoda Superb L&K TDI AT which has done 98,900 KMs, price quoted is 14.98 lacs.
4. A 2020 XUV 500 W9 which has done 11,200 KMs, price quoted is 16 lacs

Unfortunately there aren’t many details available for the Octavia and I will have to visit the dealer and have a look at the car. I believe it comes with the DSG, is it the DQ200 that is being utilised here? Does it make sense to go for a 7 year old car with close to 80,000 KMs on the ODO.

I am excited for the rapid as it seems to check most of my requirements, it has a Diesel engine known for its performance and mileage on highways. It’s a manual gearbox, which I prefer and is slightly more reliable.

What are your thoughts on Superb with close to 100k on ODO and a sticker price of 15 lacs.

All the above cars will be provided with 1 year warranty on engine and gearbox + 3 months of warranty on electrical.

I will take the test drive tomorrow and provide an update.

Last edited by BleueNinja : 15th March 2022 at 02:38.
BleueNinja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 07:50   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleueNinja View Post
An interesting update :

Unfortunately there aren’t many details available for the Octavia and I will have to visit the dealer and have a look at the car. I believe it comes with the DSG, is it the DQ200 that is being utilised here? Does it make sense to go for a 7 year old car with close to 80,000 KMs on the ODO.

I am excited for the rapid as it seems to check most of my requirements, it has a Diesel engine known for its performance and mileage on highways. It’s a manual gearbox, which I prefer and is slightly more reliable.
[/i]
Both the Octavia and Superb are diesel variants. These did not use the DQ200, they used another wet clutch dsg ( I think DQ250) which in general has been said to be more reliable than the DQ200 and have much less failures reported.
Old 15th March 2022, 10:15   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
An interesting update :

1. A 2015 Skoda Octavia Elegance 2.0 TDI CR which has done 78,000 kms, price quoted is 8,50,000
2. A 2017 Rapid Style TDI MT which has done 55,000 kms, price quoted is 8,75,000
3. A 2016 Skoda Superb L&K TDI AT which has done 98,900 KMs, price quoted is 14.98 lacs.
Not comparing with Bangalore used car prices, but that Octavia price seems to be very less - mainly considering the prices of Rapid and Superb that you mentioned. Suggest check the Octavia, and if it is indeed a clean car go for it.

Both Superb and Octavia TDI came with DQ250 and they are reliable.
Old 15th March 2022, 11:00   #65
BHPian

Quote:
An interesting update :

What are your thoughts on Superb with close to 100k on ODO and a sticker price of 15 lacs.

All the above cars will be provided with 1 year warranty on engine and gearbox + 3 months of warranty on electrical.

Please for the love of god do not touch a >4 year used Skoda, especially that Superb. I had similar temptations but soon realized it is a White Elephant. From multiple experiences shared on this thread, I will repeat - it is not just the DSG that could go wrong. Made peace with myself that whenever I have 30+ big ones, will upgrade to a brand new Octavia. There are numerous posts on the forum on this particular topic. I recommend digging up a few - would be insightful.

Also from recent personal experience - used car market is filled with problematic vehicles, especially with such long waiting periods for new cars. People won't readily trade a well-maintained, low-run vehicle just for an upgrade unless facing unbearable issues. This has aggravated since the semiconductor shortage. Please tread carefully and follow all precautions - you will find a comprehensive list on this forum.

If you are really fixated, please book a brand new Virtus/Slavia, take max-warranty, reserve funds for the DSG, and follow all precautions as suggested in this thread as well as all long-term ownership reviews. In all, you are receiving the following 3 answers on this post:

1) One with risk appetite enjoying ownership without any issues - YES
2) One with risk appetite but faced DSG/other issues - NO
3) One without risk appetite - a stern NO

Best of Luck
aniket13 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 11:24   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually, I own a Honda city, “this” new car will be replacing that hence, the reliability quotient has kicked in. I also own a Polo comfortline TSI AT, that’s why I am wondering if it’s worth getting another 1.0 TSI AT.
This settles two questions, since you already owned the City, try something else and since you already own a 1.0TSI, try something else too

Some points based on your other posts :
- I don't see any point in buying a used DSG, whether on Octavia or anything else. Same applies to any dual clutch gearbox.

- With your valid concern about getting stranded with rhe car, please be doubly sure of any used car that you buy, especially from dealers/aggregators.

- First decide whether you want a SUV or a sedan or a crossover. You can filter out the cars better with concrete requirements.

If you're still trying to rationalize a car with the Virtus, then get the Virtus 1.5 DSG , keeping the DSG fund aside
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 17:56   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

@BleueNinja - You can see a few posts in here ^ telling you to stay away from used VAG cars with DSG - That is a clue. Eggs and baskets is another clue.

But I understand your thought process, it happens with a lot of people who have got VWs and are yet to be left on the side of the road.

Recently someone who had two normal cars replaced one with an Imported VAG, certainly the VAG car would have made him replace the other normal vehicle too with another small VAG car with more or less the same internal bits.

Within days the almost new Imported VAG got hauled into a Tow truck, no It did not drive itself up there!
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 19:41   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
You can see a few posts in here ^ telling you to stay away from used VAG cars with DSG - That is a clue.
It is a clue and also a fact.
DSGs have faced issues in our conditions especially after 40-50k kms. So why buy something which is potentially closer to expensive maintenance.

Your point is valid, if fuss free experience is non negotiable then VAG cars shouldn't be on the radar.

In the end whatever the decision is for the OP to make, a head vs heart tussle essentially

I empathise because once you start driving a VAG, TSI and DSG its very difficult to drive something else, especially if you are not prohibited by any major limitation.
Although not sure how much of that "feel" has been compromised in the MQB-A0-IN cars.

Last edited by shancz : 15th March 2022 at 19:55. Reason: typos
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 12:10   #69
BHPian

Let me start this reply by thanking each and everyone of you who took the time out to comment and advice on my car purchase dilemma.

That being said , I have decided to cancel booking of Virtus. The only reason I was considering another Sedan to replace my current Honda City was the performance and build quality upgrade that Virtus has to offer. 1.5 MT most likely will be Highline variant with a bigger engine but missing out on features that come in Topline despite the premium and as much as I would like to own 1.5 DSG, I am unable to make peace with the fact that I will have to spend 20,00,000 on road yet live with a lingering feeling that this gearbox will most likely cause mechanical failure down the line because my current usage does involve highway/City runs. I drive more than 2,000 kms per month.

The 1.0 doesn’t make sense to me as my wife’s polo TSI AT makes the same power and I believe is much more fun to drive + is better built.

I took test drive of following cars in their diesel avatar and here are my brief observations on why I didn’t consider them:

1. XUV 700 : the waiting period is too much for me. Aside from the waiting period woes, I personally didn’t like the steering feedback from the car. Is it only me or is the steering a bit lifeless for the car of that size (build and engine capability wise). Also the AX5 variant seems to miss out on Auto dimming IRVM and rear camera. I think these two could have been added for a car that costs north of 20 L on road.

2. Creta: The sales experience aside. Rattles in the car, inadequate headlight throw, questionable build quality ruled the Korean out of my list. They provide an air purifier in their car but no backlit switches.

3. Harrier: Road presence of this car is nice but, test drive car which was 2 years old had rusting here and there, the gear lever and door handles were shaky. The clutch burn issue kept me at bay as well. Coming from Honda and VW I felt the interiors can be improvised. Although, it’s commendable how far TATA has come from Indica days.

In one of my previous post I did say that in today’s car market we have to chose our “compromise” since no car is perfect. However I don’t see any car on which I can live with one because, build quality and performance are paramount to me and features not so much. I only see Jeep Compass as a viable replacement as of now but it’s out of my budget.

So as of now I don’t see any car that I can buy confidently within my budget and label it as a replacement of my Honda City. looks like I will have to wait till year end and pray they start offering huge discount on Jeep Compass 2.0 Diesel
BleueNinja is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 14:45   #70
BHPian

Quote:
In one of my previous post I did say that in today’s car market we have to chose our “compromise” since no car is perfect. However I don’t see any car on which I can live with one because, build quality and performance are paramount to me and features not so much. I only see Jeep Compass as a viable replacement as of now but it’s out of my budget.

So as of now I don’t see any car that I can buy confidently within my budget and label it as a replacement of my Honda City. looks like I will have to wait till year end and pray they start offering huge discount on Jeep Compass 2.0 Diesel
Sensible and well researched decision. I would sincerely suggest you zero down on your requirements and preference, things you value most in your car, etc and then look at the options in your budget. Specifically these two:

1) Form factor - SUV or Sedan
2) Very unfortunate but - Reliability or Performance

I agree with your sentiments - It's actually sad we need to compromise on either build-quality, performance or reliability in the hunt for a perfect car in the budget segment. You'd notice the gap bridging down as you climb the price segments.
aniket13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 15:39   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Let me start this reply by thanking each and everyone of you who took the time out to comment and advice on my car purchase dilemma.

Considering your original post as well as this post, let me say this. As a Harrier owner, the Clutch burn issue is not common. Except for your concern about interior quality, Harrier Automatic is a good car.
While I say this, please note that since you are already aligned to Tata's & M&M's ASS experience, I strongly see no reason for you to not consider the Virtus/Slavia DSG just for the reliability factor.

A Virtus/Slavia, I'm sure will be more reliable than a Harrier/XUV700 in the long run. A known devil (DSG failure) is always better than an unknown angel (unreliability and not-so-good experience of Tata and M&M).

Compass again is not alone. It has its own reliability issues as well. Just browse through this forum or otherwise to get a hang of it. Compass is just another expensive Harrier in terms of reliability and ASS experience (Of course it excels in terms of build quality, performance and driving dynamics, fit and finish, features).

So go with your heart and have fun with the 1.5 DSG.
Old 17th March 2022, 07:32   #72
BHPian

DSG.. dilemma..here is my 60k 7year report. I own a Vento 2015 model..no failure so far. I do drive fast ( 130 -140 kmph on the highway, sedate driver in city, but ALWAYS accelerate in a steady no jerk manner. In the cities, I have experienced the infamous jerk ..maybe 2-3 times a years..now I can almost predict when the car is about to jerk,and lift my foot off the gas.
Have observed higher chances of a jerk when coming down a slope while decelerating to reach the bottom of the incline especially when you need to slightly accelerate to go over a speed breaker just after! Rather rare situation.
I've had a sudden surge in acceleration more than once, out of the blue in heavy slow traffic!! That needed desperate braking.
I have not reported any of these to the service centre...real fear here being the crazy cost of repair and time involved..sounds irrational..but when you can anticipate a jerk and mitigate it by easing off the gas..it's not worth the trouble.
DSG issue is always on your mind..so drive smooth..
It's a pleasure not to be missed in life! BTW I turn 62 this year..and have been driving since 18..stated with a Standard Herald.. great car..Baleno (old model) before the Vento for 10 years.. phenomenal car..
My next car will most likely be a TC but the Tiguan and Kushaq seem flimsy compared to the Vento.
daniel990 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 07:48   #73
BHPian

Don't.

My personal pick would be the 1.5TSI MT variant. It will still have its issues being a VAG car so you gotta baby it if you want it to last.

DSG is the worst of the worst, I personally would never take chances with a DSG equipped car for night interstate drives which I do frequently.

Is the short term pleasure of owning a DSG more important for you than getting stranded at night and running into huge repair bills is what you have to determine.

For that money I'd personally go with a used 2019+ Civic or Altis, both are a segment above Virtus and will last forever as long as you take care of it.
pta320 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 13:57   #74

Quote:
Hi folks ,

I booked the Virtus 1.0 Topline AT today. However, I am in a bit of a dilemma and I would appreciate feedback from learned folks on this forum..
You mentioned there is an option to book Virtus 1.5MT. I did not see that. Can you please confirm?
Old 17th March 2022, 15:28   #75
BHPian

Very Interesting thread. Read it all in one go.
What I can conclude from these are the people suggesting to go for DSG are mostly the ones who used it and are enjoying it [without failure].

Also noteworthy point is that all these suggestion comes with terms and conditions [Be prepared for failure, baby the gearbox in city traffic, be prepared for a breakdown of 4/365 days, etc etc]. I guess these itself beats the reliability factor.

I am not going to suggest any car here, but just giving an abstract.
Asish_VK is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks