Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2007, 19:05   #1

buying a Second hand diesel lancer in this age and time

Hi,

My dad has been contemplating on buying a diesel lancer for quite sometime now - his range is close to 4 lacs! and he is also insistent on buying a sedan/saloon car!

Would buying a used lancer diesel at this point of time be a wise decision considering the pro's and con's?

We have been going around the market in Hyderabad - all that we could make out is a 2000 and 2001 lancers are for sale and they go 4 to 4.5 lacs.

Another consideration would accent crdi, as diesel is a predominant choice that my dad has, these are the only two cars we look for.

my personal opinion, comparing accent and lancer superficially - lancer beats accent hands down!

have through the forum and have learnt a lot, but would still like an opinion by the experts whether to jump onto a lancer d in this age n time!
Old 9th June 2007, 10:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Lancer Diesel is a gr8 car. Used it for around 6 months. Sold it after an accident on the highway. A truck hit us when we had parked on the highway.. Little damage was testimony of the build quality..

It has got adequate power, mileage, rock solid build quality, superb ride and handling. Will last a life time if you maintain it properly.
But *** of lancer is expensive and not good . My cousin had experience where the oil change and filter was billed but not done. Accent scores in this space.
Go for lancer if you do lot of back seat travelling. The comfort is worth the extra money you pay for maintenace. Also, the driving pleasure of lancer cannot be compared with accent. It grips the car so well. The challenge is to find a well maintained car as the spare parts are very costy and *** is not good.
Old 9th June 2007, 11:58   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Well,

4 - 4.5 lacs for a used diesel Lancer is a lot of money to pay today. Why wouldnt he consider any of the newer options? Its a nice car but 4.5 lacs is a bit much.

In that price range or a little higher:

1. Brand new Indigo

2. Brand new Swift JD.

Used options in that price range:

1. Innova?

2. Scorpio?

Old 9th June 2007, 12:39   #4
BHPian

Disel car as a thumb rule are always over used and spending 4 Lac plus the maintanence at its old age doesnot justify. If Disel is a necesity why not look at a new car in this price bracket. I am sure u can push it up a bit to compensate for the lower maintence cost of a new car.
Old 9th June 2007, 13:45   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Well,

4 - 4.5 lacs for a used diesel Lancer is a lot of money to pay today. Why wouldnt he consider any of the newer options? Its a nice car but 4.5 lacs is a bit much.

In that price range or a little higher:

1. Brand new Indigo

2. Brand new Swift JD.

Used options in that price range:

1. Innova?

2. Scorpio?

Thank you all for taking out time and replying, well my dad is looking at upgrading to saloon/sedan segment car, cos he's driven a small for i dont know how long! and i see i have limited options when it comes to picking up sedan/saloon diesel car for such a price range!

Mostly it would be backseat driving for my dad! how far do you guys think spending on a 2nd hand lancer d be worth?

Initially we were also considering Renault Logan for a new car, any opinions here?
Old 9th June 2007, 13:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

Lancer diesel is an excellent car in itself. But time has moved on. For 4.5 lacs, the car is not worth it.better buy indigo techonomical diesel.

Though if I were to name the successor to lancer diesel, it would be fiesta tdci. Its one of the best diesels out there right now.
Old 9th June 2007, 16:34   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikod View Post
Thank you all for taking out time and replying, well my dad is looking at upgrading to saloon/sedan segment car, cos he's driven a small for i dont know how long! and i see i have limited options when it comes to picking up sedan/saloon diesel car for such a price range!

Mostly it would be backseat driving for my dad! how far do you guys think spending on a 2nd hand lancer d be worth?

Initially we were also considering Renault Logan for a new car, any opinions here?
Logan diesel could exceed that price bracket.If you ca, then it could be a good choice.

As for the lancer/accent CRDi- I would go for an accent CRDi at around 3L price. Lancer diesels usually comes with high mileage on the odo...
Old 9th June 2007, 18:26   #8
BHPian

Althought lancer disel was a very very nice car of its times ,still its very old and the price is prohibitve go for an accent Crdi used one but some thing like a 2004 -5 model cause buying a 7 years old disel how long will you be able to hold it after paying 4.5 lacks you may have to do many things as the car is old and you will end up spending some thing which will be close to a brand new Logan
Old 9th June 2007, 18:34   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Stretch a bit and go with a brand new Indigo. Its got the best backseat for the price.
Old 10th June 2007, 23:29   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Stretch a bit and go with a brand new Indigo. Its got the best backseat for the price.
not to offend but do you really think tata can make engines as superior as a renault or a mitsubushi?
Old 11th June 2007, 10:26   #11
BHPian

I don't, If you compare the engines of the same generation. But, I am sure the newer Indigo engines will be as good as the older generation Mitsubishi engines if not better (I have driven neither of these, so can't be totally confident). I also feel that a car is much more than an engine.

Regards,
Mohan.
Old 12th June 2007, 10:58   #12

Saw a 2003 Lancer GLXD going for 4lacs, looks in real good condition, driven close to bout 60k km, goin to get it checked with a mechanic today!

Worth spending 4.0lacs on a 2003 lancer???

Guys help!!
Old 12th June 2007, 12:32   #13
BHPian

why not ! TATA are pretty good...no no excellent in Diesel Engines For the segments they are in..Now if you compare TATA with Mitsubishi or Renault- then its like saying " Hyundai is as good as Mercedes" Both stand out in their respective segments.

A Lancer D will be a good choice, provided you get a good showroom maintained car with regular service and not High ODO clocking.

Diesel, Be it any ! Will require regular Maintainence and Apart from TATA nobody makes Cheaper Spares for Diesels Yet !
Old 13th June 2007, 04:27   #14
BHPian

Well looks lke ur heart is set on a Lancer D. I remember seeing Lancer Ds being sold in Chandigarh(2003 -04 models) for 3.5-4 lacs
One particulalry i remember with 41k kms and superb condition for 3.7

Lancer D is really good, but as everyone says, spending 4 lacs on a very old car does not make sense.
But yes, there's no sense either to go against ur heart and buy ugly unsophisticated stuff from tata/mahindra. Indigo - man they seriously need to do something about that shape and of course the interiors. Logan is a strict No No.
So, for you, either take a risk, listen to ur heart, and go for a lancer D after bargaining for the price, and enjoy.
Or go for an Accent Crdi which is again a great bang for buck. Accent Crdi will also give you good back seat comfort if not great, and yes of course great mileage.
Please dont look for ugly looking Indigo's and Logans unless you can compromise on what you want and what you really get.
But then its your call and you get to make it. We all can just advice.
Old 13th June 2007, 11:35   #15
BHPian

Quite frankly, your very own thread title holds your answer!

If the choice were up to me, I'd choose the Accent CRDi over the Lancer-D any day. My reasons:

* Mitsubishi After Sales Service is not worth talking about
* The Lancer's diesel engine is two-three generations old and its performance is anemic at best, when compared to present day diesels

If you are hung up on choosing between the Accent and the Lancer, choose the Accent.

However, there's nothing to replace the new car feel and experience and as has been said, the purchase that will give you the best overall ownership experience is a Logan or an Indigo. It will be well worth your while to make a marginally larger investment and buy one of these cars.

Last edited by airfoil : 13th June 2007 at 11:48.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks