Hyundai Verna 14 3.00%
Volkswagen Vento 7 1.50%
Other (please specify in your post) 17 3.64%
Voters: 467. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2022, 09:44   #16
BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia vs Honda City vs Maruti Ciaz vs Hyundai Verna vs others

I test drove the Slavia 1.0 AT yesterday and it was nice and refined and comfy alright. Then I drove a Kuhaq 1.0 AT. The Kushaq was terrible. Pickup was poor, the AT lock was not working, ride was much worse than the Slavia too. And the Kushaq had just over 10000 km on it. I know test drive cars are not treated kindly, but all this in just 10000km ?

I voted for the Verna.
Old 13th March 2022, 09:44   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for Slavia 1.5. None of the other cars mentioned in this poll have engines that even come close to the 1.5TSi engine in terms of performance. Further, that Slavia 1.5TSi comes with a 6-speed MT is like icing on the cake in my view.

I am a big fan of petrol MT sedans. In spite of how good and fast the modern automatic transmissions are, the joy of manually rowing gears is still unparalleled. Slavia 1.5 MT offers that rare combination - the potent, modern 1.5TSi engine mated with a slick 6-speed MT. Therefore, Slavia 1.5 MT would be my choice here.

I am not looking to buy a new sedan anytime soon (happy with the current cars I have). But if I were looking for a new car, I am almost sure Slavia 1.5 TSi MT would be one of the most serious contenders.
Dr.AD is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 10:27   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
I am a big fan of petrol MT sedans. In spite of how good and fast the modern automatic transmissions are, the joy of manually rowing gears is still unparalleled. Therefore, Slavia 1.5 MT would be my choice here.
Totally agree and glad you said this. In fact, the Virtus 1.5L should have been added to the poll since it is almost there on the horizon and there are 0 votes for Vento as of now
Old 13th March 2022, 10:28   #19
Senior - BHPian

Honda City.
Tried and trusted powertrain & transaxle combination.
It's naturally aspirated. Possibly the last of a dying breed.
Excellent seating comfort all round.
Base, entry level fifth generation City gives you everything that you need for daily running and more.
Relatively better after sales service and accessibility compared to the Europeans.
Styling. The 5th generation City looks pleasing to my eyes, particularly from the rear.
Much lower acquisition cost compared to the Skoda/VW twins.
arjab is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 10:47   #20
BHPian

Voted for the City 😁, in its MT guise of course, it has good drive ability in lower gears in town and good cruising ability on highways, and when in mood for fun just downshift that slick MT box and revv away to glory ! 😀 with the added reliability of Honda at a modest 12.5L OTR !

Nothing beats Honda City at this moment or in near future.
buntee90 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 11:30   #21
BHPian

Voted for Slavia.

Primary reasons being: one, it’s a more recent and better engineered product, imo. City is a very strong contender but I find the interiors and other creature comforts better in Slavia. The engine, specially 1.5 one is way ahead of the competition.

Other cars in this poll don’t really stand a chance against these two.
SinghShu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 11:36   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Oh, the Honda City MT is as much fun as any competing German car <120 kmph. That beautiful 1.5L Vtec (best NA engine in the country IMHO) with its revv-happy nature, slick MT, excellent aural pleasure at 6000+ rpm, nice steering and chuckable nature (you can really throw it around) deliver a lot of driving pleasure. On the other hand, above 120 kmph, the rear isn't planted (gets bouncy & affects driver confidence), while the mid-range of an NA petrol simply cannot match the mid-range punch of a turbo-petrol.

But then, we do spend 99% of our driving time under 120 kmph and thus, you can have almost as much fun in the City as any other car.
Perfectly summed up. Would Vote for the City for its Manual avatar. That sheer thrill of downshifting and hitting the accelerator, massive roar from the engine and relentless pull; providing segment-leading seat comfort, all under 15L, makes it a no-brainer for a majority till date. Not even touching the sheer bullet-proof reliability, safety, and reasonable service costs/network.

Also, I think most of the downvotes for City still stems from the shameful cost-cutting of the 4th Gen City - which I agree was a pathetic blunder from Honda. But they seem to have learned from their mistake and recovered most of the faith back through the 5th Gen City. Pleasure wise the CVT is no competition for the DSG, however, with paddle-shifts is still a lot fun to drive.

I would reserve my comments till there are a decent number of Slavias's on road, however, the entire fiasco going around with Kushaq coupled with Skoda's already tarnished image on the reliability front, and cost-cutting pointed out by fellow BHPians during TD/Review makes me think Slavia might be for Skoda what 4th Gen City was for Honda - would sell decent numbers at the cost of damaging the brand values. Next iterations however would be the ones to look out for.
aniket13 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 12:21   #23
BHPian

If I buy a sedan in this category, then I'll go the way of City Hybrid.
But if that restriction is removed, will wait for Toyota D22 Hybrid SUV.
umohan98 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 12:28   #24
BHPian

I voted for Slavia. Even the 1.0.

But things may change for a lot of people if Hyundai were to launch Verna with 1.4 TGDI (if there's enough response to Slavia 1.5 Turbo). Honda, I doubt has any such trick up their sleeve
Old 13th March 2022, 12:47   #25
BHPian

Voted for the Ciaz, and probably the only one to justify Ciaz.

On paper, Ciaz does have the lowest figures for power delivery and performance parameters. But, how much of the difference in figures can be justified in real world usage? You don’t want to engage in a race with other cars from the same segment (let’s put this clause here) on Indian Highways. Plus, I will anyway never go beyond the 120 km/h speeds (above which the others outshine Ciaz) and with speed-cams being installed on major NHs, you hardly would want to risk going beyond the advisable speed limits.

This translates to 2 benefits for me -
1. Ciaz, when driven within it’s comfort zone, rewards with excellent fuel economy- I manage to extract about 550-600 kms from a 40 L tankful exercise in my Petrol MT. That translates to about 14-15 kmpl, something none of the others in the list can return!
2. Reduced wear and tears - though this is a notional benefit depending on individual case to case basis, I still believe to not push the car too much, and have experienced 0 niggles in my 3.5 year and 30K km journey with our Ciaz. Also, workshop visits other than usual service schedules are minimum, and service bills are such that you don’t regret your choice !

This means -
* variant to variant, Ciaz is atleast 1-1.5L cheaper than its corresponding variants in either City/Verna or Slavia. Meaning, Ciaz is the cheapest of the Executive Sedan offerings in the market
* Higher fuel efficiency, lower maintenance costs, MSIL’s excellent after-sales and high reliability translates to more than satisfactory ownership experience.

Thus -
* I do not see any added benefits other cars offer, which monetarily doesn’t justify me putting the extra initial 2L and (perceived)higher ownership costs of the Ciaz’s competitors (still, to each his own!)
* Personally, I’m more than happy with the performance of the car. Rationally, I’d never go for a more costly option wherein you pay about 20% more when real world experience hardly improves by about 10-15%
jigar1791@gmail is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 14:40   #26
BHPian

I understand the urge to vote for the Slavia given it's new to the market and is an entrant in a segment which has been pretty drab for the last half-decade or so.

I voted for the City - just for the space and the fuss free ownership. I haven't seen the Slavia but from the reviews understand that the City has much more space at the back.

Recently I called an Uber and a Ciaz came and I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable it was in the back - this was my first time in a Ciaz. While there is obviously no wow factor, it is fairly comfortable and utilitarian. If I was on a budget, I would have 0 zero issues with the Ciaz especially if I was being driven around.
invidious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 14:53   #27
BHPian

Voted for others. It's the virtus for me.

I highly prefer the silhouette of the virtus over the slavia, and that rear end of the slavia isn't to my tastes either. Also going by kushaq and taigun saga where the taigun has far fewer niggles being reported, I'd expect the same to happen with the slavia and virtus.
Between the virtus and the city, it's a tough pick because on one hand you've got good old Japanese reliability and a good 1.5L Vtec engine, on the other hand you've got a stunning looker and that 1.5TSI+DSG combo, plus a few extra goodies but lesser reliability and build quality. But as GTO said, it's better to enjoy your drive and worry about niggles for a fraction of the time, the ratio is still 99:1, although if someone picked the city over the slavia/virtus twins, i wouldn't blame them too
Peri_patetic99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 15:13   #28
BHPian

Voted for Honda City.

I am currently driving a Toyota Corolla Altis, and really wanted to replace it with a Yaris, however, since Toyota doesn't have any vehicle in this range, If I do go for a replacement, it will be a Honda City.

I do appreciate the European cars, their driving characteristics and all the other features that they have, but the one feature which I hold in very high regard is reliability, and this is where they falter. So, its going to be a Honda City for me.

I want peace of mind when I am driving, I don't want to be bothered by "what if".
pareekvirendra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 16:16   #29
BHPian

The city is slowly regaining its ground and now has leading Slavia in this poll,

Earlier I was wondering how can the 7000Rpm City lose to slavia in this poll.
Faith restored 😀
buntee90 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 16:45   #30

As a newbie, I cannot vote, but given the choice, I would vote for Slavia.
As a current rapid 1.5 TDI owner the built quality of Slavia seems a little inferior to that of Rapid but it still seems to be at the better end of the segment. The only thing that the Slavia sorely misses is a Diesel engine for people with high running like my dad.
Other cars, though great, lack the driving dynamics of this car. I am saying this for the 1.0 TSI. That 1.5 TSI is a different beast altogether.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks