Other (please specify in your post) 17 3.64%
Voters: 467. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2022, 19:02   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia vs Honda City vs Maruti Ciaz vs Hyundai Verna vs others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post

5. From what I see on Youtube, 1.5L has a terrible bottom end, their own 1L turbo and even 1.5L NA of City is beating it in quarter mile drag race.
Unless I am mistaken, the YouTube video was showing only 0 to 100 and not quarter mile. Still in that video they clearly mentioned after 90 Slavia 1.5 is easily beating City. Also it’s not due to the terrible bottom end of 1.5 TSI, but due to DSG - which is the case with most of the DCT gearboxes in India which doesn’t allow hard launch. I am sure in 1/4 mile it will easily smoke both 1 TSI and 1.5 IVTEC.

So if there is some other video showing City / Slavia 1 TSI beating 1.5 in 1/4 mile, I am happy to stand corrected.

It will be all together a different result if those comparisons were all MT.
Old 14th March 2022, 19:55   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Too early to poll.

Virtus is coming up and I wouldn't seriously consider the VAG twins until we see 6 months of reports just to make sure the Kushaq fiasco isn't repeated.
. On the same page , but one year of running is needed in my view.
Old 14th March 2022, 20:33   #48

Being a budget conscious buyer, my vote will go for Honda City.
At these range of prices most buyers are still Value for Money conscious.
And I believe Honda City V and Honda City VX offers better than Active and Ambition variants of Slavia, hence better choices here.
However if I could stretch my budget, Slavia Style (1.0 and 1.5) variants will be very tempting.
Old 14th March 2022, 22:13   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I know it won't be peaceful to own over 10 years and that DQ200 will 99% fail.
Is the failure rate this high?Just a month before , I picked up an used 5 yr old Vento TDI DSG 58k run exchanging my reliable 10 yr old 145 k run Verna CRDI. Though I am loving the DSG, the failure fear is always remaining in my mind. Both spending & inconvenience will come together. I am taking all DSG care as advised in this great forum. In my family, 2 other DSGs ( Rapid Diesel - 5 yr, 75 k done & Vento TSI- 6 yr - 66 k done) are doing duties without any issues so far, that gave me confidence for going for my DSG. But after knowing about your assessment of 99% failure, I have started thinking about changing the car again. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 22:18   #50
BHPian

I voted for the Honda City. My reasons:

1. Although sedans, Slavia and City cater to different sub-segments. City is for those who want style, substance and no-nonsense ownership. Slavia is more towards those who want macho-power, acceleration, novelty and gizmos. I prefer the understated values of the City.
2. Reliability is a big factor, and I'm not very convinced about Škoda. Honda reliability is a winner.

Regards,
lsjey
lsjey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 22:24   #51
BHPian

I own a new 2021 Honda City ZX CVT, while I like the car, I voted for other, the other being Kia Carens. However, I never really was fully satisfied and now I'm planning to sell it and change it for Carens. For the money, Carens (Diesel, AT) just make much more sense in terms of practicality. I'm selling Honda City in a couple of days and booking the Carens.
inwester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 00:05   #52
BHPian

I had voted for Verna, as an all rounder / family car which would be the most common usage. It's refined (both Petrol and Diesel) and comparatively easy on maintenance compared to a Honda upkeep, made me vote for Verna. The next preferences in the same order
2. City
3. Vento
I haven't driven Ciaz and Slavia for comparison.
Old 15th March 2022, 08:43   #53
BHPian

Voted for Slavia. But might go for City.

I test-drove the Slavia yesterday and I was surprised how different it felt from Kushaq. The car looks stunning in person, and very much a complete product. I have been contemplating purchasing the City for a while now, and though I love the way it looks, I feel it requires many after-market upgrades - tyres are undersized, ICE is not at par, cameras are nowhere 2022 standards, un-insulated tyre wells and under bonnet, etc. Have seen BHPians spending ~1 lakh on the brand new City, which I am not comfortable after spending Rs. 1.5-1.8 million. In that sense, Slavia feels pretty much complete and very hard to find faults with.

However, cannot deny that buying a car is just a small part of ownership. More so in my case because I grew up maintaining and taking my dad's cars to garage while growing up. It's a pain when spares are not available or are super expensive, and Skoda is the king of bad service experiences and Germans don't build the most reliable cars out there. Another point that City takes is the brand equity, I can drive the City for a few years and lose very little on what I paid. I feel Skoda just messed up on the pricing, you can't price your new unknown product to a much more popular and aspirational product like City. This might restrict Slavia sales just to metros and bigger cities while City should be able to capture all kinds of towns.

Hence, Slavia is better product but City is a better package IMO.

Last edited by hdman : 15th March 2022 at 08:50. Reason: Additional points
hdman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 10:08   #54
BHPian

Voted for the City.

Although I do love the design language of the Skoda, City in its 5th Gen avatar looks very well done, proportionate all over, spacious/Luxurious interior(Love those seats on ZX variant!), Amazing sporty exhaust note on high RPM makes it an all rounder. Apart from this, Its always the Peace of Mind that matters. Honda After sales is much better than the Skoda's.

I did already pic up the 5th gen city in ZX 3 months ago. Did not even bother to wait for Slavia. That's how firm my love for city is.

Last edited by karthikd21 : 15th March 2022 at 10:13.
karthikd21 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 11:38   #55

My pick would be Honda City Gen-5, although I like the body lines on Slavia
Old 15th March 2022, 13:15   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inwester View Post
I own a new 2021 Honda City ZX CVT, while I like the car, I voted for other, the other being Kia Carens. However, I never really was fully satisfied and now I'm planning to sell it and change it for Carens. For the money, Carens (Diesel, AT) just make much more sense in terms of practicality. I'm selling Honda City in a couple of days and booking the Carens.
Those 2 are completely poles apart. Curious to know - what were your criteria while buying the City, and what are the requirements now, which you feel could be fulfilled by Carens? Thanks.
aniket13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 18:02   #57
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Honda City - no doubts at all. The most well rounded package even today.

Slavia: New Kid on the Block with Good Engines but reliability is a wait and watch.

Verna: Still a 2-Seater - extremely bad in terms of rear seat space. Unsuitable as a Family car.

Ciaz: Aging car but Value for Money. The 4th Gen City still on sale at lower price maybe a better bet though.

MODS: Should have included VW Virtus as well to see how the people lean towards which brand among the Twins.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 22:28   #58
Senior - BHPian

Wow, this is a tough fight between City and Slavia. Yesterday when I saw City was leading by a big margin and now both are equal
Old 16th March 2022, 01:49   #59
Senior - BHPian

Having owned 3 generations of the City (1,3,4) and a 2012 Honda Civic in the past, I have always been a Honda fanboy. I still am.

However, when it comes to petrol engines, the Tsi is just no match to the vtecs in my opinion having owned a Laura 1.8 Tsi and currently a Rapid Tsi. The Rapid relentlessly pulls till the 6500 rpm redline and the power doesn't taper off in higher revvs like in most turbo cars. The Tsi is a brilliant piece of engineering. I don't think I will ever buy a NA petrol again. Add to that the brilliant dynamics, feel and safety of the germans.

My Vote goes to the Slavia. So much so, that I am contemplating switching over to a Slavia 1.5 DSG replacing my 1.5 year old Rapid. I am happy with the changes Skoda is trying to make and it is very much noticeable. My Rapid buying experience is the best yet and am pretty satisfied with the after sales as well. Yes, there will an uncertainty at the back of my mind that the water pump, oil pump, ABS sensors or the transmission 'may' fail someday but I don't bother. I will have many many more days with a big grin on my face, and that's certain.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 16th March 2022 at 01:54.
Altocumulus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 11:23   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniket13 View Post
Those 2 are completely poles apart. Curious to know - what were your criteria while buying the City, and what are the requirements now, which you feel could be fulfilled by Carens? Thanks.
It's very contextual. The only reason we bought a City was to own a small car as we had booked a Carnival to replace our Innova and thought Carnival was too big for running daily errands. My aging parents (with a driver) are the primary users and I tried booking Seltos/Creta etc. but none were available immediately. City was cheaper than the alternatives so ultimately we just bought it. It's not a bad car by any means but I just think crossovers are way more practical in my use case. I also find City to be underpowered and I've never been a fan of CVTs. Again, I did all of this over the phone and web without seeing or test driving any of these cars in person. Now Carens is available for a about 2-3 lakhs more. My friends who test drove it vouch for it and says it's perfect for my use case. They also found the headroom in City lacking for 6 footers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks