Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2007, 08:13   #1
BHPian

2004 Opel Vectra or 2006 Aveo 1.6 LT?

Hey guys, I need big time help in making this decision, really confused about this. I am getting a 2004 Opel Vectra 2.2 petrol and a 2006 Aveo 1.6 LT for roughly the same price. While the Vectra is a full-blown luxury car in the same class as the Ford Mondeo and the Honda Accord, we all know the issues with Opel service and spares in India, especially considering the Vectra was completely built overseas. I love the look and the feel of the Vectra, especially the kind of gadgets it comes with but I am concerned about the possible cost of ownership and maintenance. The car has done about 42k kms and doesn't really have any issues at the moment. On the other hand I am also getting a Chevy Aveo 1.6 LT, minus the ABS and Airbags, a 2006 model, done about 3k kms for roughly the same price. I drove the car and its quite nice, nothing exceptional though. The positive thing is that service and spares are easier and cheaper bringing down cost of ownership and maintenance to levels at par with Ford/Hyundai. Most of my driving is in the city with maybe one trip on the highway in a month. Please advise what car I should go in for. Thanks a bunch.
Old 13th June 2007, 10:23   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

The Aveo seems a more practical choice to due service/spares availability
Old 13th June 2007, 10:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

aveo should be choice by the brain and the vectra by heart

if you are willing to spend on the vectra's spares you could go for it as its a very nice car

how long do you plan to keep it
Old 13th June 2007, 10:34   #4
BHPian

Go For The Vectra

if you are satisfied with the condition the vectra is a great buy , spares would be a problem though
Old 13th June 2007, 10:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

The vectra is a fuel guzzler too. Do keep that in mind.
Old 13th June 2007, 10:52   #6
BHPian

What's the price? Can't help it,me == too nosey :P
Old 13th June 2007, 10:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

fuel guzzler - lol , that would be an understatement, it gives you 3 - 4 kpl if driven hard else it will not give you more than 6 kpl. But again its a very very powerful car, go for it if you can really spend money on it. Cheers
Old 13th June 2007, 10:59   #8
BHPian

a pre-owned vectra, for 6+ (2004) rare car nowdays, is a good buy for a 17 Lac car, keeping aside the spares and maintanence issues..if you want to take the risk.The aveo,run 3k is a safer bet, considering it would yet be under the GM 3 year warranty etc
Old 13th June 2007, 12:27   #9
Team-BHP Support

my personal opinion is why would somebody sell their aveo so fast after buying it. it might have had a bad accident or something. my advise is to check the service history etc.
Old 13th June 2007, 12:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
my personal opinion is why would somebody sell their aveo so fast after buying it. it might have had a bad accident or something. my advise is to check the service history etc.
its not always that a new car is sold after 3-4 months after the purchase because its had a accident or its a lemon

their are many reason to sell the car the
1.owner must be moving
2.somehow he has more money now and wants a bigger car
3. need the money
4.his requirements have changed

my mom sold her 3 months ikon 1.6 because she didn't like it and prefferred then newly launched NHC

but have a mechanic check the car to be safe
Old 13th June 2007, 13:16   #11
BHPian

Aveo..

Go for Aveo its a better VFM car also in terms of resale aveo will be better then vectra.
Old 13th June 2007, 13:25   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
its not always that a new car is sold after 3-4 months after the purchase because its had a accident or its a lemon

their are many reason to sell the car the
1.owner must be moving
2.somehow he has more money now and wants a bigger car
3. need the money
4.his requirements have changed

my mom sold her 3 months ikon 1.6 because she didn't like it and prefferred then newly launched NHC

but have a mechanic check the car to be safe
im just telling him to be careful incase its had and accident.
Old 13th June 2007, 14:07   #13
BHPian

Out of the two Aveo would be a wise choice.
Old 13th June 2007, 14:53   #14
BHPian

No offence meant to you bro but buy only opel vectra if you have the financial muscle to maintain it spares are a problem ,fuel bills are huge
Its simply not a car for average people , you cant compare it to honda accord cause honda cannot Rob you all part prices are available on paper

Surely Modeo is a car comparable cause ford from the very begining had been Looting the customers in mondeos case , you can check out auto car india also where they have asked for 80000 rs to replace cars stereo
and what happend to mondeo i had seen up for sale for as low as 3 lacks but no ones buying ,and even no one is selling

But for vectra you dont know wheather you will get parts after paying huge amount of money or not , secondly average is so poor as some one mentioned , thirdly if you buy it for 6 lacks in two years it will cost you
12 lacks at least .And you will not be able to sell it for 3 lacks i am very sure about it and if you want to spend 12 lacks why not go for a civic you get the snob value of vectra and peace is as great as pain in vectra ,do you think some one is foolish to sell car for 6 which he got for 17 the point is he has no options ,and if you buy it then you have no options ,stay away from his trouble want to spend buy civic octavia ,or corolla But surely not this
Old 13th June 2007, 14:56   #15
BHPian

Vectra would be the natural choice if its in good condition and doesnt require any major repair. I dont know whether spares are available or not but personally would go for it since, its a car thats doing good in europe, so spares could be procured from outside. Cost of maintenance would be certainly high and cant be compared with Aveo and thats a risk worth considering.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks