Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2022, 11:09   #31
BHPian

Re: Efficient, reliable & cheap to own used car for 3-4 lakhs

I was about to recommend Duster AWD as its the best vehicle for the needs you listed and much more, but you are right. The 110ps injector issue is real pain point as a current owner. Although there is no firm answer as to which batch is affected more, my observation is coastal cars are affected more and there seems to be some connection with fuel quality too. If you enquire around in your locality, you might get answer regarding that area and affected percentage in there.
Atul Kolekar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 11:17   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Marshal replacement | Used Toyota Etios vs Maruti SX4 vs Honda Mobilio

Have just about come down to the Mobilio I guess.

Innovas are great, but well outside the FE parameter - and they have almost zero traction on slippery stuff, have personally witnessed drivers in dire straits with them up here. Any FWD with decent tyres would do better.

Etios a superb sedan, but without a liftback it's going to be tough as an all-rounder, even if I could implement a fold-down seat for it. Trunk lid itself small. Same re: City, etc. S-Cross out of price range.

Duster: Had been through this excellent thread - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...-combined.html, and it strikes me that they are highly competent and likable cars, but more expensive to maintain vs. the Japanese, particularly as they age; ASC's themselves are having to order spares in from other regions for the 1st gen cars, and they also give considerably lower FE (either version) vs. the Japanese options. Please correct/ refine/ qualify these statements as necessary.

Bolero with the M2DiCR (2wd with A/C etc) are fairly efficient, solid, and serviceable, as such probably still worth a look, but pricing still on the higher side and they are not really the best highway cars or efficiently packaged space-wise. 4x4 versions rare, costly, and no A/C. To go out on a limb, a (bit more posh) Camper Gold (A/C, P/S) with a locker installed in the rear (2wd only) could probably also work as an all-rounder; Am seeing them in mid-3L range, most are yellow-plate, HP probably won't do a white-plate, MZ will, but then there's a new Rs50,000 fee to transfer in out-of-state vehicles there! Main draws being the versatility of the body and efficiency of the CR vs. older DI's.

So otherwise, Mobilio - Yes, predictably re: earlier assessments, the one I saw up here with 140k had disintegrating seats and rust blistering around a liftgate edge... But appearing neglected, still no mechanical issues till then. Flexible, roomy layout, low-end grunt, well over 20kmpl hwy (Dtec), and 3L range... On account of sharing a platform with Brio/Amaze I think spares will be plentiful, seats can be replaced / upgraded as required with wrecking-yard bits, and if GC ends up an issue can likely correct with aftermarket or (in time) even BR-V components.

Any other thoughts / anything I'm missing before I start a serious search? Also would request members to PM me if they come across anything available for sale.

-Erik

Last edited by ringoism : 25th April 2022 at 11:36.
Old 20th October 2022, 23:35   #33
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Marshal replacement | Used Toyota Etios vs Maruti SX4 vs Honda Mobilio

Any latest update on your hunt? Been 6 months since any last activity in this thread...

Last edited by AdityaDeane : 20th October 2022 at 23:37.
AdityaDeane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 09:33   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Any latest update on your hunt? Been 6 months since any last activity in this thread...
I think he began writing a reply day before...
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 20:56   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Oops, sorry... it has been an incredibly busy 6 months, Aditya already knows the answer, of course...

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-v...a-marshal.html (Mahindra Getaway 4x4 | Our Final Solution | Replacement for Mahindra Marshal?)

Prophetic words from earlier in the thread:

Mahindra Marshal replacement | Used Toyota Etios vs Maruti SX4 vs Honda Mobilio-screenshot_20230331211551216_com.whatsapp01.jpeg

(!!!)

Yes, a Mobilio (or Etios, or SX4 etc) would have saved us ~₹50k in diesel over the last 11k km's in these six.months... worth pondering... But none would be very serviceable in Mizoram.

Mahindra Marshal replacement | Used Toyota Etios vs Maruti SX4 vs Honda Mobilio-img_20230320_123901_1_1_1_1.jpg

And none would have done anything like what we've been able to do with the Getaway. Considering that it has probably saved us ₹50k hauling stuff that we would have had to otherwise find another (costly) means of transporting, I'd say overall it has been more of an asset than a liability. Comfy/ spacious, powerful ans luxurious enough inside, rugged enough elsewhere and with good GC, it seems hard to beat.

So all's well that ends well.

MIGHT still consider a Duster /Terrano as a second vehicle, as they are faírly efficient, roomy, and popular enough both here in H.P. and in Mizoram to suggest spare parts supply and service expertise are fairly ok...

Yeti, sadly, is out for now... basically non-existent in the NE. I've not seen VW's either, so great and affordable as they are, it seems too high of a risk. And the lack of SUV-like ground clearance would make it hard to do a lot of things / go some places we'd want to if going to the trouble/ expense of owning an AWD. An old Tucson would probably make more sense, though still dubious.

For now though, the Getaway - our Gateway. Wife's driving it now, too, and we both like it a lit and feel quite comfortable with it. Worst vehicle I've had for reversing, due to length, limited visibility, and a high reverse-gear ratio. Never had any trouble reversing, nor dine any damage till this one. But other than that and the FE, I could call it perfect - for us...

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 31st March 2023 at 21:21.
ringoism is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks